Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Noises and Sounds

124»

Comments

• I have a 2005 Rav-4 D4Diesel 2.0 Litre. I had the dual-mass flywheel recently replaced with a single-mass flywheel, because the dual-mass was damaged upon purchase and it was much cheaper to replace it with a sing-mass flywheel. I've read that's what most people do when their dual-mass goes out. Anyway, I've noticed that when I'm in 5th gear and I press on the gas, my stick shifter moves toward neutral about half-an-inch. Then, when I let off the gas, it moves toward the dash the same distane. Could the damaged dual-mass flywheel have affected my 5th gear? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I have a 2005 Rav-4 D4Diesel 2.0 Litre. I had the dual-mass flywheel recently replaced with a single-mass flywheel, because the dual-mass was damaged upon purchase and it was much cheaper to replace it with a sing-mass flywheel. I've read that's what most people do when their dual-mass goes out. Anyway, I was driving up a hill the other day in 5th gear. I floored the gas and the car suddenly lost almost all of its power. I had to quickly down shift until I was in 1st gear, and I was not able to drive any faster than about 10 km/hr. The check engine light came on. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off. I waited about 2 mintes and turned the car on and everything seemed to work fine. The check engine light eventually turned off, as well, after several drives. What could this be?
  • wingedwinged Posts: 1
    Hello... I have a 2008 Rav4 (less than 24,000 miles)...and am hoping someone can help with this. Increasingly, I've been hearing an exhaust type noise when I start to accelerate (especially after being at a stop). It usually happens during or after using the air conditioning...or perhaps is just louder and more noticeable then.
    It seems to come from below the rear (or sometimes middle section) of the car.
    I used to hear the same sound occasionally on my old Tercell. And was surprised to hear it also after purchasing the new Rav in 2008. Originally it only happened occasionally and I wasn't able to duplicate it at the dealers but now it happens frequently and almost always when or after using the AC. Have not heard this sound coming from other newer cars but sometimes hear it coming from older vans or trucks! Any ideas?
    Another issue:
    Have also been noticing that the engine seems to be louder lately when stopped at lights, etc.
    Does not sound smooth but has sort of a ticking sound or vibration. Again, it seemed to always sound somewhat that way but has been getting more noticeable.
    (I had to have the water pump replaced not long ago and am wondering if this could be related?)
    When first purchasing the Rav, the engine sound seemed a little surprising, as I had thought it would sound smoother but some have told me it is normal to have the slight chugging or ticking sound. Again, I often hear the chugging or ticking engines on older cars...but not so much on newer cars...
    Would be grateful for any insights.
  • Did you ever get this puzzle solved? Experiencing the same problem in a 2000 Rav4.
  • At low speeds there is a low frequency howling like sound which is linear to the speed of the vehicle. Seems to disappear at higher speeds above 15mph or so. It seems to match the wheel rotation and the noise is higher at one point of the rotation cycle than at any other. the noise is not affected by putting the automatic transmission into neutral. There is no noise related to gear shifting which is smooth. the tyres were changes about a year ago. also I am unable to pinpoint whether this comes from the from the front or rear but is slightly more noticeable from the passenger seat in front than the driver's seat. Any ideas?

Nauman
124»