Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Noises and Sounds

1235»

Comments

• I had a similar problem with a rattling noise on my car with the A/C off. It turns out it was something in the A/C compressor clutch. I took it to a local independent garage and they did something to tighten up the clutch. The cost was about $80. It was fixed 4 or 5 years ago, and I have had no further problems with it.
  • I have a 2008 4 cylinder Rav4 and since we've had it I've heard a rubbing sound coming from the rear of the car when I back it out of my driveway in the morning. It really only happens that first time in the morning or when it sits for a long time. And only in reverse. I guess I should count myself lucky I don't hear the other sounds I've read about today. Anyone else with this problem of know what's up?
  • I had the same problem with my 2009 RAV4, an intermittent and inconsistent metallic noise from the rear. There was a rock stuck between the rotor and the backing plate. I read several forums and this was a common problem that helped my mechanic quickly solve the issue. Good luck!
  • I have a 2008 RAV4 V6 AWD with 80k miles on it. A humming noise has started occurring while stopped, whether in reverse, neutral, park, or drive. I'm aware of the whining noise that everyone complains about on these transmissions (myself included), but this is a separate issue as the whine occurs at speed.

The hum emanates from the console area. I can hear the noise slightly from underneath the car or in the front seat, but it is much more audible while sitting in the back seats. The noise seems to occur more often during cold (for Phoenix) weather, but not during all cold days. The noise disappeared for a few weeks and just came back yesterday. I would not describe it as metallic, just a fairly low pitched hum.
  • Hi!

I have a 2005 Rav4 which works fine. Randomly (about 1/2 of times) I get a strange sound 10 seconds after I start the car, for about 6 seconds and then the sound disappears.

The sound is difficult to describe, it is not 'grinding', it is more like some fluid suction or sloshing (though I am not sure). Please try to listen to the short clip below of my car startup. The strange sound can be heard between 10 and 16 seconds.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dr5teair0hkaawa

The car works fine. I don't feel any symptoms. I suspect it is related to ABS or the cooling system? Is it even normal??

Thank you very much!
  • I've also got a similar issue, I have a 4 cylinder 2009 CV that I just purchased with 76k on it. At 41km I get a similar sound from the engine/ transmission (well that were I think it is coming from)
    I know there is a issue with the v6 version but is there also any issue with the 4 cylinder ?
    I'm just wondering if this is normal or there is an issue that will cost $$$ later.
    The car is currently under a used car warranty, So I have already taken it to them but they change the diff / transmission oil and said give it a couple of weeks.
    Another friend who is an ex Toyota mech said it may be normal as some Toyota auto transmissions are known to make some noise.
  • I'm looking to lease a 2013 Rav4. I have a 2010 Prius and have rattles and creaks all over the dash. It's been to the dealer 3 times and they say it's fixed but it never goes away completely.

Before I through the same nightmare with a 2013 Rav4 I'm wondering if anyone experiences this problem. Looks like the dash has the same cheap plastics.
  • dwdwonedwdwone Posts: 2
    Every Toyota I've ever had, and there have been many, starts to rattle after a while. It just seems to be how they are made. A small downside to a great bunch of cars.
  • carzinacarzina Posts: 1
    Hi, first time post here!
    I've noticed for the past few days a 'radio static' type noise in my 2010 Rav4 LTD, v6 w JBL. The noise is there even when the radio is off. And it occurs only when the vehicle is moving. It has been difficult to isolate where the noise is coming from, but it is very similar to static noise which would occur when the radio reception is bad. It is distinct from radio static tho because this 'mystery' noise can occur on top of actual radio static. Anyone else w this problem/ experience?
  • I have a 2005 Rav-4 D4Diesel. I had the dual-mass flywheel recently replaced with a single-mass flywheel, because the dual-mass was damaged upon purchase and it was much cheaper to replace it with a sing-mass flywheel. I've read that's what most people do when their dual-mass goes out. Anyway, I've noticed that when I floor it after shifting into 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear, I get a rattle under the right-hand side of my dashboard for about 5 seconds. Has anyone elase experiened this?
  • I have a 2005 Rav-4 D4Diesel 2.0 Litre. I had the dual-mass flywheel recently replaced with a single-mass flywheel, because the dual-mass was damaged upon purchase and it was much cheaper to replace it with a sing-mass flywheel. I've read that's what most people do when their dual-mass goes out. Anyway, I've noticed that when I'm in 5th gear and I press on the gas, my stick shifter moves toward neutral about half-an-inch. Then, when I let off the gas, it moves toward the dash the same distane. Could the damaged dual-mass flywheel have affected my 5th gear? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I have a 2005 Rav-4 D4Diesel 2.0 Litre. I had the dual-mass flywheel recently replaced with a single-mass flywheel, because the dual-mass was damaged upon purchase and it was much cheaper to replace it with a sing-mass flywheel. I've read that's what most people do when their dual-mass goes out. Anyway, I was driving up a hill the other day in 5th gear. I floored the gas and the car suddenly lost almost all of its power. I had to quickly down shift until I was in 1st gear, and I was not able to drive any faster than about 10 km/hr. The check engine light came on. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off. I waited about 2 mintes and turned the car on and everything seemed to work fine. The check engine light eventually turned off, as well, after several drives. What could this be?
  • wingedwinged Posts: 1
    Hello... I have a 2008 Rav4 (less than 24,000 miles)...and am hoping someone can help with this. Increasingly, I've been hearing an exhaust type noise when I start to accelerate (especially after being at a stop). It usually happens during or after using the air conditioning...or perhaps is just louder and more noticeable then.
    It seems to come from below the rear (or sometimes middle section) of the car.
    I used to hear the same sound occasionally on my old Tercell. And was surprised to hear it also after purchasing the new Rav in 2008. Originally it only happened occasionally and I wasn't able to duplicate it at the dealers but now it happens frequently and almost always when or after using the AC. Have not heard this sound coming from other newer cars but sometimes hear it coming from older vans or trucks! Any ideas?
    Another issue:
    Have also been noticing that the engine seems to be louder lately when stopped at lights, etc.
    Does not sound smooth but has sort of a ticking sound or vibration. Again, it seemed to always sound somewhat that way but has been getting more noticeable.
    (I had to have the water pump replaced not long ago and am wondering if this could be related?)
    When first purchasing the Rav, the engine sound seemed a little surprising, as I had thought it would sound smoother but some have told me it is normal to have the slight chugging or ticking sound. Again, I often hear the chugging or ticking engines on older cars...but not so much on newer cars...
    Would be grateful for any insights.
  • Did you ever get this puzzle solved? Experiencing the same problem in a 2000 Rav4.
  • At low speeds there is a low frequency howling like sound which is linear to the speed of the vehicle. Seems to disappear at higher speeds above 15mph or so. It seems to match the wheel rotation and the noise is higher at one point of the rotation cycle than at any other. the noise is not affected by putting the automatic transmission into neutral. There is no noise related to gear shifting which is smooth. the tyres were changes about a year ago. also I am unable to pinpoint whether this comes from the from the front or rear but is slightly more noticeable from the passenger seat in front than the driver's seat. Any ideas?

Nauman
1235»