Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• dcsforumdcsforum Posts: 2
    Well, that's interesting. The only problem I have experienced is a "hot start" problem where it requires extra cranking and/or stalls if you try to start it when it's hot...like when you're out running errands and making multiple stops. My wife has experienced it more than me so I was trying to be proactive about seeing what was out on the internet about it before it got any worse. I've told her to open the door when she restarts it so she can be sure that the engine has started before she releases the key. Our Buick is so quiet inside that it's actually not easy to hear the engine start...especially with 2 kids in the car babbling.
  • I have a 2004 buick rendezvous which quit running. Discovered a blown electric engine fuse which is #13 in engine compartment fuse box. I replaced it and it blew again as soon as I turned key to start position. I replaced the ignition relay, did not work. Any ideas, can't figure it out?
  • Have read a lot about different stalling/idle problems. Just looking for any more info before I spend more than the car is worth in repairs. It seems to have only stalled when slowing and turning or at low idle. When parked idle will bounce from 500-1000 then eventually stall - leaving a strong gas or sulpher like smell. Codes read misfire. Replaced plugs & wires already. Tried a fuel additive of course that didn't do anything. Also can crank excessively when starting sometimes before firing. This is my wifes driver only 75K. We have liked it overall but I can't have this thing decide to stall out at 70 mph on the highway with my kids in the car.
  • After much frustration I decided to throw myself at your mercy and ask for some flat out solid advice.

My '03 is currently sitting at the dealership trying to be diagnosed. What is really frustrating is that they had the vehicle at the shop on Saturday and it wasn't starting but because they were so "busy" they didn't throw it on a machine and diagnosis despite the fact that I said it usually resolved itself and might possibly start right up if they let it sit there too long...I'm feeling a bit like the didn't want to listen to me because I'm a "dumb girl". So I called today to find out how they were progressing and....low and behold - it started right up - and has been running fine "all morning" despite being turned on and off after running.

Today I did something a little different and confronted the service manager with my arsenal of knowledge on this issue. He was slightly defensive because "the issue is all over the internet because only people who have the problem are complaining", honey, there are a lot of people complaining about this SAME issue! We talked for a while and after telling him AGAIN how the problem ususally arises he does seem to think it's the fuel pump, but he doesn't want to throw darts at a board and hope we're right - he's pushing for the vehicle to have the problem so they can know for sure.

Having said that I have already had the "bulk head connector" or corroded piece on the passenger floor replaced once (to the tune of $300 I believe). They checked it this time and there was a little white stuff but not the usual "green" they're used to. If the vehicle is still having the problem and that isn't the issue - can I contact Buick and ask to be reimbursed for this apparently "unnecessary" repair? The other part is that he's concerned about the expense of replacing the fuel pump. Am I crazy or did I just find it online for $250 - what should I be paying for this and why would it be more (other than the obvious labor costs). Does this repair needed to be done by the dealer or can I have a local mechanic replace - particularly if it's cheaper?

There's a possibility the fuel pump might not be the issue so if I decide to have the pump replaced I'm SURE they're not going to compensate me if I come back with this problem later. I honestly feel that this issue is related to the vehicle not getting gas and do not want to go with the "module" replacement he quickly glazed over while we were talking - this definitely isn't coming off as "electrical".

I appreciate your time in reading this and any feedback/advice you can give.

Sarah
  • Its very possible with 75k its the fuel pump. It cost me $400 for replacement.

THe pumps do not just stop, they have intermitten electrical failure as they are like any other motors. So they stop, then start, some times when driving at high speed u feel like the engines stopped and then it picks up again, car kinda stalls.
    But the motor pump will completely fail and ur stuck.

Its easy for the shop to say it dead only if the mottor fails.

Had one fail while getting new muffler, as the car was being backed out - That was $400.

MY rendovue went in Drivway - $600 repair.

Good luck.
  • It does make sense that it could be the fuel pump as every "Big 3" truck I've owned has had the fuel pump die around 80k. But those just died without warning. I've had the rendezvous in the 4th time now. All they get on codes is "misfire". Their latest diagnosis is that my power steering pump is leaking onto my belt and being splattered on the "crank sensor which is 1. making the car crank extra when starting, 2. causing my idle to bounce up and down (200-750 rpms) and stalling out intermittently expecially when turning sharply. HMMM. Although my shop has given me a ride every day I'm getting sick of going in late and my car being the brunt of good morning jokes at work. I would love to see a car company that would at least cover crappy parts that were found faulty but thats the only way any of them stay alive is to make more crappy parts for their crappy (yet overpriced) autos. Sorry had to vent their. Keep on posting more info the better.
  • Here is some of what i went thru so far.

1. MY vecihle vin numbers was not part of recall - LOL
    2. Problem never showed on Computer. - Thats when one Buick dealer knew to replace the recalled parts, LOL, Im sure there are faulty parts that get out.
    3. If t he car does not start with key, try the keyless one, if so equiped - I do this all the time.
    4. Had the rt front wheel bearing go. 1 yr later the left went, no computer code came up, but was so loud i had to turn radio up because i was 100 miles away from home.
    5. Had replace all the tires because of uneven wear.
    6. Then the alignment was $80 - 4 wheel alignment.
    7. Remember there is a reader in the steering column that reads your chip in the key - Keep your keys away from magnets and do not use them scatch lottery ticket off. $200 to replace.
    8. Rear hatch strap broke off.
    9. Have had security light come on, thank goodness it went out after parking in driveway.
    10. Have had entire dash go wacky.

I have to stop now can not type crying and laughing at same time

ps: only seasoned Buick Mechanic should work on these cars.', they are opened minded
  • Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what was the outcome? I have a 2007 with the same issue. Help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
  • I have not had this problem, here are some suggestions.
    1. Have u replaced it and its blown again ? If not keep a spare on hand.
    2. Clean the battery terminals if they need it. Also i have connector from battery to another box connection, so try that.
    3. CK the voltage output from alt, believe this could cause it - IF you go to Walmart or Auto Zone, ask them to ck your battery, their test will show if their is an altnator problem.

Good Luck
  • Thanks for the advice it is appreciated. I will keep you posted on what is found

Thanks again
  • Hi "bevh" and "rendezvous1":

Have either one of you found the cause or solution to the high idle and too much power when driving problem? My 2003 Rendezvous with 95,000 miles is just starting to have the exact same phenomenon. Many thanks.
  • mrspamy2169mrspamy2169 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    i have a 2004 rendezvous, it died on me driving 65mph on the highway. inital thought was the ingition madule for lack of spark. this did not fix the problem. the fuel guage read 1/4 of gas and the fuel pump sounded like it was working. upon further inspection the fuel tank was completely empty. the fuel sending unit (part of the furl pump) is bad. after replacing it everything working fine. please keep me posted if this did not work for you. thank you
  • pete130pete130 Posts: 1
    I have a Buick Rendezvous 2003. I couple of weeks the car started to idle. My wife told me about it a couple of weeks ago, but I did not believe her till a felt the problem myself.
    I was driving home and suddenly the card was idling high in the 2500 and 3000 rpm when should be in 2000 rpm. I took foot of the accelerator and the car was going and increasing the acceleration. Luckily I was home with the car at this point. I park the car with the idling high, then I put it in park the car started to increase the rpm up to 5000 rpm, when I decided to shut it off. I waited a minute then turn the car on and it was working fine for about a minute then it started to idle between 1500 and 2000 rpm.
    It had a whizzing noise. I took it to a mechanic and replaced the booster the whizzing went away. There was a leak in the booster changer.
    Today I was driving the car and I was noticing that the rpm are still oscillating when the car is parked.
    I don’t know what it could be. I just don’t want to drive this car and start happening what happen to the Toyota cars.
    Any ideas what it could be?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    I have had that on my Pontiac version (twice so far). My mechanic suggested sticky throttle cable but blipping the gas pedal doesn't seem to help. Shutting off and restarting does seem to resovle it so it would tend to make me think about some electronic dodad (Idle air control?, Throttle position sensor?). Please let us know if you get an answer because it can be quite annoying.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    ray80,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • 1packerfan1packerfan Posts: 3
    It was the throttle position sensor. I had taken it into a Ford dealer of all places and they new right away when it had stumped everyone else. I think it's been a month or two now with no issues. The only thing I've noticed is once in a while it does "over crank" when starting every now and then but no stalling at all.
  • cat6meowcat6meow Posts: 1
    My 2003 rendezvous is having the same problem. My intake had a crack in it and got that replaced along with everything else that helps it.

Were you able to get it fixed? What was the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
    Cat
  • gedwardgedward Posts: 1
    Problem: Rend. jumps and hesitates -stalls on highway- we had the plugs and wires replaced and now is worse than before- drove it home- stalled in driveway and now won't run in DRIVE - RUNS WHEN IN REVERSE. I start it- it will start-the when put in drive-stalls. is sitting out in driveway right now.. that idiot light-CHECK ENGINE SOON doesn't come on either . Can anybody help????
  • Did you ever find out the problem?
  • 2004 RDV AWD automatic Intermittently will not start
    Does not spin starter
    Hold key in Start position, light switch on auto, lights dim like they do if you try to start in gear
    Still in start, every 7 seconds a relay clicks and the dash lights flash
    Still in start, drop the jack hard and the car begins to crank & starts (repeated 3 times)