Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• Hi "bevh" and "rendezvous1":

Have either one of you found the cause or solution to the high idle and too much power when driving problem? My 2003 Rendezvous with 95,000 miles is just starting to have the exact same phenomenon. Many thanks.
  • mrspamy2169mrspamy2169 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    i have a 2004 rendezvous, it died on me driving 65mph on the highway. inital thought was the ingition madule for lack of spark. this did not fix the problem. the fuel guage read 1/4 of gas and the fuel pump sounded like it was working. upon further inspection the fuel tank was completely empty. the fuel sending unit (part of the furl pump) is bad. after replacing it everything working fine. please keep me posted if this did not work for you. thank you
  • pete130pete130 Posts: 1
    I have a Buick Rendezvous 2003. I couple of weeks the car started to idle. My wife told me about it a couple of weeks ago, but I did not believe her till a felt the problem myself.
    I was driving home and suddenly the card was idling high in the 2500 and 3000 rpm when should be in 2000 rpm. I took foot of the accelerator and the car was going and increasing the acceleration. Luckily I was home with the car at this point. I park the car with the idling high, then I put it in park the car started to increase the rpm up to 5000 rpm, when I decided to shut it off. I waited a minute then turn the car on and it was working fine for about a minute then it started to idle between 1500 and 2000 rpm.
    It had a whizzing noise. I took it to a mechanic and replaced the booster the whizzing went away. There was a leak in the booster changer.
    Today I was driving the car and I was noticing that the rpm are still oscillating when the car is parked.
    I don’t know what it could be. I just don’t want to drive this car and start happening what happen to the Toyota cars.
    Any ideas what it could be?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    I have had that on my Pontiac version (twice so far). My mechanic suggested sticky throttle cable but blipping the gas pedal doesn't seem to help. Shutting off and restarting does seem to resovle it so it would tend to make me think about some electronic dodad (Idle air control?, Throttle position sensor?). Please let us know if you get an answer because it can be quite annoying.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    ray80,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • 1packerfan1packerfan Posts: 3
    It was the throttle position sensor. I had taken it into a Ford dealer of all places and they new right away when it had stumped everyone else. I think it's been a month or two now with no issues. The only thing I've noticed is once in a while it does "over crank" when starting every now and then but no stalling at all.
  • cat6meowcat6meow Posts: 1
    My 2003 rendezvous is having the same problem. My intake had a crack in it and got that replaced along with everything else that helps it.

Were you able to get it fixed? What was the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
    Cat
  • gedwardgedward Posts: 1
    Problem: Rend. jumps and hesitates -stalls on highway- we had the plugs and wires replaced and now is worse than before- drove it home- stalled in driveway and now won't run in DRIVE - RUNS WHEN IN REVERSE. I start it- it will start-the when put in drive-stalls. is sitting out in driveway right now.. that idiot light-CHECK ENGINE SOON doesn't come on either . Can anybody help????
  • Did you ever find out the problem?
  • 2004 RDV AWD automatic Intermittently will not start
    Does not spin starter
    Hold key in Start position, light switch on auto, lights dim like they do if you try to start in gear
    Still in start, every 7 seconds a relay clicks and the dash lights flash
    Still in start, drop the jack hard and the car begins to crank & starts (repeated 3 times)
  • rene15rene15 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Rendezvous, I detected a strong smell of gas and thought some must have spilled or maybe the cap wasn't on tight. That night driving home from work I still smelled gas and noticed the gauge was on E and fluctuating when I got home I called a mechanic and made an appt. for the next day. Monday I tried to start the car but it didn't want to start, it made me a little Leary to drive even if it would start so I had it towed. Gas rolled out from the back of the car to the front and left a pool.
    The mechanic found the lines all rotted and was told the parts are a national backorded item. I have been online and on the phone with Buick then GM since then it is now next Monday. GM customer service is sending documentation on to a "higher dept. in my district and I will hear from them in 1-2 business days! This is crazy!
  • I am at my whit's end. My Buick started randomly not-starting and now it has become more-so the norm than the exception. Sometimes it will start after about ten seconds and it has been up to 3 weeks before it will crank. Here is what is happening: When you put the key in the ignition cylinder, it recognizes the key, but when you turn the key, the guages bottom out and the lights dim like it is starting but the starter does not engage. You can hear relays click but those are the only signs of life. I originally thought it was the starter and replaced it but still have the problem. I don't want to take it to a mechanic and have them throw darts at the problem. Does anybody have an idea of what this is? I thought it was the PK3 but after installing a bypass, the problem persisted. Another thing is that ocassionally, the doors do not unlock when you put the transmission into park. Other times it will. I can change gears without applying the brake as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

James
  • deearldeearl Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Rendevous has intermittent problems of acting like it has incurred a Vapor Lock. We have replaced the fuel pump, a $500 plus repair. Well, the problem still occurs. Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution?
    On this vehicle, possibly more prevelant then fuel pump failure is trouble with C305 connector. Google 'gm C305 connector' to find this and other issue it can cause.
    May have to get the darts out for this one ;) . From the first symptoms you describe I was thinkng along the lines of battery cable problem perhaps.
    With the other things it may very well be elsewhere. There is a little gizmo buried in console area that is called the Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock. This works in conjunction with something in steering colum (near ignition switch) to ensure you can't start when in drive (it also communicates with BCM). This BCM involvement is also what unlocks the doors when in park.
    A quick easy thing to do might be to try a sort of BCM reset by removing fuse #28 (I believe that is the BCM one) in the underhood fuse box for about 30 seconds and then re-seating it. If this corrects anything it may lean towards BCM issue, If it does not do anything perhaps the BTSI is the issue. Good luck
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    Were you working with a dealer regarding your concern? We would like to look into this further for you. Please feel free to contact Christina by email with more information and further assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • I finally found out what it was. After months of searching in the wrong direction, i began to piece the puzzle together. I'm posting this hoping that someone else who has this problem can find the answer. It is really quite simple. Coming out of the transmission is a cluster of wires that goes directly to the computer. The wiring harness sits directly below the air intake and rubs it. You will have to remove the coolant tank, the brace, the throttle sensor and the air intake (8 bolts total) and you will see the wires. Remove the tape and if some of those wires are frayed, then there is the problem. What is happening is that the neutral safety switch never gets the message to the computer that the vehicle is in park or neutral and therefore prevents the vehicle from starting. $2.00 worth of wire connectors and some tape later and about a hour of taking parts off and putting them back on and it starts every time. Hope that helps!
  • rzandrzand Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous with 140k miles on it. The car runs well; however, we occasionally face a problem with the car. This issue generally occurs after driving on warm days (mostly hot days 80F +). If we stop somewhere and wants to restart the car, it cranks but does not start. Once the car sits for 25-60 minutes, it will start. There are no codes when this occurs and the dealer cannot seem to find a problem without a code. the issue has begun 4 years ago and now is getting more frequent. Any help is appreciated.
    This sounds like 'hot' start problem that happens when vehicle is shut off for only a few minutes, then fails to fire up on restart. The only solution I know of is to hold key in start position for longer until it fires, for me the more times you try it, the harder it is to start, so the second attempt I hold it start position quite a while.
  • Appx. 2 years ago the RDV began to be hard to start. Turned over ok but would stumble and act like it's starting but dies after letting off the starter switch. Happened after the car was warm and was intermittent. Has steadily gotten worse but I finally found the problem. I remembered a throttle body problem with another vehicle so looked at the RDV's and there was significant buildup on the backside of the throttle plate. Cleaned it by holding the valve open & wiping the backside with a rag soaked in carb cleaner. Did this about a month ago and haven't had a problem since.
  • krazylady2krazylady2 Posts: 1
    This exact issue is happening to me as well. My 2003 Rendezvous has 130k miles and has been doing this for over a year. It only seems to happen when its hot out; in the winter I do not notice a problem. Even the 25-60 minute time frame is the same. Is this a known or common issue? Any chance someone knows exactly what this is and what to do about it?
  • I have been reading all the posts but have only seen one the resembles my problem with no solution that i can find. My car often, not all the time but often, will not stay running when started. It seems to start but then stalls right away. I have to give it a little gas to keep it started. This is not happening during any paticular time either, hot or cold. Nor has it stalled while moving. Please help.

Thanks Martina
    A couple simple things you could try are a new fuel filter and air cleaner if they haven't been changed in a while, other things might get more complicated.
  • Good afternoon martinae,

Do you happen to know if/when you had spark plugs and wires replaced on your Rendezvous? While this is not an official GM diagnosis, I hope it's helpful as you gather information. If you decide to work with a dealership on getting your starting concern looked into, please let us know by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Couple things here to try. 1 - take a look at your mass air flow sensor, its just after the air filter, but if it was an issue your check engine light should be on. 2. Clean your throttle body, which is above the mass flow sensor. I would 1st try using a can of "Sea Foam", in the gas tank, this will help clean up any deposits on both of the above.
    ps: Just a note, the gas pedal in todays cars only opens the throttle body to increase air to the fuel being supplied by the electric fuel pump. The days of a gas pedel are gone as we know it. Hope this helps
  • I have just recently started having problems with my Rendezvous not turning over. A friend told my husband and I to tap on the fuel pump, and the vehicle will start. The first time we tried this it worked. No problem until now. We are having the same problem, and the tapping did not work this time. My spark plugs have been changed. The wiring harness has been replaced, even-though; the idiot who replaced it knew he was cheating us. I am going to try getting the fuel filter replaced to see if this is the problem. Until then, anyone who has a solution, please let me know. The Rendezvous acts if it is going to start when the key is turned over but never catches to start. Is this problem related to any recall?
    Hhmm, Does it not turn over (nothing when key is out in start position) or does it turn over but fail to 'fire up' and run?

If it does turn over does the problem happen at any time (when engine is cold or warm) or does it happen only after engine has been warmed up?
  • My Buick 2004 has done this twice? Going up a steep hill battery light comes on and car stops! Then it will start running again after it sits for a while! Not the battery -- all lights work! So I had it towed they said it was the alternator $600 later.... Now just the other day it stops again. Friend said to check the fuel cap! It was not in tight? Would a lose cap make this problem? Someone else said no because it is fuel injected??? Some one else said dirt --- fuel filter? Help, going on a 1700 mile trip and do not want to break down! Any ideas?
    That could be a tough one to figure out. I don't think fuel cap would cause problem. I suppose fuel filter could have issue. One other possibility is the c-305 connector, it can cause stalling problem (you can google 'gm c305 connector' for more info)
  • 1wildpete1wildpete Posts: 25
    First of all did u have a full tank of gas ? A loose cap causes the pressure to drop in the fuel system, fuel injection requires pressure, lose cap or defective cap will cause light to go on. so the advise u were given was wrong. maybe U need a new gas cap.
    If your alt light did not come on, then it was not the alt, Auto part stores cann do the complete test in 15 minutes, alt, starter battery for free.
    The other issue is electrical.
    Another cause is the fuel pump is going bad - was the fuel pump tested?
    MY 2004 fuel pump died long ago. Have u been driving and it has felt the car has lose power and then just appears to be fine, its like a stall and then the car picks up again - that fuel pump going.