Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• I'm about to buy a 2010 XLE V6 Camry sight unseen. I've seen the model...but it has an option listed as "Nano Heat Rejection Window Tint-TWHR50". Has anyone seen this? Is it dark? Does it look like a mirror?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..no Toyota dealer un the US..."

You may be correct, it's only a Lexus dealer that I know for sure sells re-refined engine oil.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Before you do, give the Ford Fusion a try out. I just traded my Camry Hybrid on a Fusion Sport, and it is SOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! They also have 0% for 60 if you are looking to finance. The Fusion rides on rails compared to the Camry, and looks better too.

Seriously, check out the Fusion before you put any money down, you may like it more, or you may not, but at least you wont be wondering "what if".
  • I just bought the Camry Hybrid fully loaded after comparing to the Fusion Hybrid. The Fusion was nice but I thought the interior was cheap looking, the engine moaned and struggled to accelerate and was nisy. The Camry appeared to be better built and in black I thought looked better. Finally, I purchased the Camry at close to invoice while I could only buy the Fusion at MSRP. Oh yeh, one more thing, the camry was buily in Kentucky while the Fusion was built in Mexico. So far I love my Camry.
  • I am getting a periodic rattle under the dash towards the passenger side. Like I said, it's random in nature and sounds like a cell phone on vibrate sitting on the table for lack of better description.

I have read in other year Camry forums this has been a problem in prior year models.

It's not consistent enough yet to take in as it might not present itself on the test drive. I have a recording of it and have offered to send it to the service department but they are uninterested.

Any idea what that rattle could be?
  • I was told at sale the 2010 Camry is straight Synthetic. Especially since the maintenance interval is 6 months or 5K miles. My guess is it's about a ~$125.00 service including tire rotations.
    $125? WOW, The oil itself is only $35, $10 for a filter. What the heck else are they doing that is costing $90?

This is why I do my own maintenance, I can do all that in my driveway and save $90.

Do yourself a favor, find a reputable mechanic and save yourself some money. Heck even a local Goodyear tire store can do all that for you and cost maybe only half as much.
  • $125 w/ tire rotation included is not that bad but I believe you should be able to find coupons out there and make $89.99.

The dealers around my area only use regular oil and I usually get their $24.99 coupons w/ free wash, no tire rotation.
  • yfyuyfyu Posts: 5
    It happens to my 2010 base L4 camry as well. The rattling noise seems coming from the air vent. It randomly happens when I have both air condition and air recycle control turned on in medium to full blast. I took it to dealer and they said there are nothing inside the vent because it is hallow inside and they don't know why that is happening.

I just decided to live with it because I don't want the dealer dismentle the whole dashboard for troubleshooting. Dismentling the whole dash will losen up things inside and may worsen the problem.

I posted previously about the seat noise, it is coming back with the newly replaced seat.
    I think Toyota has to address these quality issues for the furture design/production. My trust to Toyota is fading. I am not sure if these quality issues are the result of cost cutting and trying to stay compatitive in this seden market segment.
  • For a one-time fee of $30 Wal-mart gives a lifetime rotation and balance (lifetime of the tires, not the car)..
  • Walmart used to have a great deal on changing oil: $15ish for regular dino and $40ish for Synthetic. Unfortunately, they used to use Fram oil filters. You may want to ask them if they'll do an oil change with a filter you supply (dealer brand or Purolator One, etc)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Still no problems with mine. I think they did cost cut the interior on this generation to keep the price down. With the stability control, skid control, TPM, etc. I guess something had to give, but Toyota did say recently that they were going to tighten-up on quality. However, I read about rattles and other minor issues like you are having on Hondas also, so I think they are doing the same thing. I'm not sure what else to get, maybe Fusion/Milan, but I have a problem with them in that they are built in Mexico with only 50% NA part content, and I'm not convinced yet about long-term reliability of them.

Oops, got off topic, sorry, back to the 2010 Camry.
  • From the service dept of the dealership where I acquired my Camry, he confirmed the 0W20 is the required oil. The cost for regular oil change is normally $32.95 plus tax & waste. For the synthetic oil an additional $25.00 more or total price of $57.95. I am sure tire rotation not included in the price.
  • Thanks for the tip.
    I checked Walmart website and found this:

Lifetime Balance $7.50 per tire $12.50 per tire with TPMS
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Check this out
    Mobil 1 Dealer search

You can get a price comparison from a Mobil 1 dealer near you and see if you can save some cash while getting a known GOOD oil. They can stamp your book too if needed.

Also check this out Promotions.
  • In order to get the color 2010 Camry LE that I want before late October, my salesperson said I had to get the optional
    ''AM/FM CD player with integrated satellite radio [6], MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® [7] connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® [8] wireless technology, Vacuum Fluorescent Display, six speakers and in-glass antenna''

It is not something I want but she gave it to me for invoice price and it is due off the boat this week. I was poking around the internet to see if it was a better stereo then the base model. It seems to be the same except for the Bluetooth and Vacuum Fluorescent Display. Problem is I read someone say that the display is very bright. That would drive me nuts at night if it is too bright. I called Toyota Customer Service (clueless) and asked if the light can be dimmed and they kind of said no, but asked me to call my dealer to be sure. Dealer did not know and did not have one on the lot (except for the one w/JBL) Good grief!
    Does anyone have this optional stereo (not JBL) and if so, is it bright and can you dim it. I don't want to have to cover it to drive at night.
    If it is the plasma cluster, it is bright, and dangerous when foggy at night. You can dim it down to a point, but it is still too bright and you have to turn the dash completely off for it to shut off, which will leave you gauge-less. This was one of the reasons I got rid of the Camry, that along with poor handling, seats wearing out in 16 months, rattles, and squeaks after 33K miles, sticking sunroof, wind noise on the drivers side, and the hybrid braking being finicky if I hit a bump. Toyota quality is NOT what people claim it is, maybe years back, but not anymore, Hyundai has better quality and is just as reliable, that I agree is the only thing the Toyota has going for it, I didn't have any mechanical problems for 33K miles. I replaced it with a Fusion Sport, and the difference is night and day. If you haven't checked a Fusion, you missed out, if you did, and just didn't like it that's a different thing.

When I first got the Camry, it was in the evening and while driving it home the lights came on and I saw the dash light up and thought, that's cool, then one night it got very foggy, and with the back glare from the dash, I could not see out the window at all, and the only way I was able to see was to turn the entire dash off using the dash dimmer, that is the only way. I was able to see the road then, but I didn't have any speedometer or any other gauges. It is a distraction at night while driving since it is so bright. Since it is a florescent display it cant be dimmed down enough, and I complained big time to Toyota to come up with a solution, but got nothing in return. Because of al the disappointments I had with the Camry, I will not be buying anymore Toyotas. In fact I checked out a Lexus RX 400h and my Hyundai was a better car, Lexus seems a wee bit over rated to me when I can buy a car with the same features or more for 10K less.
  • Any got good deal on 2010 Camry LE in NJ ?
    The display does not, and has never, bothered me at night, fog, rain, sleet, snow, etc. over the past 3 years. You can only judge this for yourself, but consider this: if it was a big problem for most people, Toyota would have changed it by now (over 3 years since this generation has been out). For the vast majority, it's fine, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

I also have zero complaints about quality on the 2010 so far. The 2007 had a hesitation while accelerating (like many 2007 and 2008s had) that was fixed with a quick 25 minute computer reprogram at the dealer about a 1.5 years ago. The 2007 also has a slight rattle in the dash when below 40F outside AND before the car is warmed up. After warmed up, no rattle, no matter how cold outside.

Yes, the interior could be better (more "plush", etc.) on the 2007-2010, more like 2002-2006 would be better, but you get stability control, etc. that you didn't get on that generation.
  • WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company's largest-ever U.S. recall, to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash. The recall will involve popular models such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota said it was still working with officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find a remedy to fix the problem and said owners could be notified about the recall as early as next week. Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said until the company finds a fix, owners should take out the removable floor mat on the driver's side and not replace it.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," Miller said.

Toyota and the government issued separate warnings to owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about the safety problems tied to the floor mats.

"This is an urgent matter," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

more ~
    http://money.aol.com/article/toyota-to-recall-38m-vehicles-over-floor/693097?flv- =1
    This recall is completely ridiculous and not necessary - please see my post in "Brand problems swept under the rug" Message #421.

PLEASE use the clips and DO NOT place a mat on top of an existing one - that's it, done, nothing to worry about. It's also in the instructions!
  • Toyota's main website staff seem clueless to general questions. First I asked them to confirm which oil to use on 2010 Camry and I got 3 different answers. Even local dealer service departments are confused.
    Then I called them about the radio above and they told me brightness could be not adjusted. They also told me the display light could be changed to different colors. Not something I care about but I guess the younger crowd would enjoy. Tonight I drove to dealer and checked out the radio. The brightness can be adjusted and the radio light only has one basic color. i was very pleased with the radio light. Not pleased with Toyota's toll free number folks. They seem to look at the manual fgor answers. My Camry is on the boat and due to arrive in Jacksonville tomorrow:) I am a Honda owner since 1980. I bought a brand new 2009 Accord Sept. 9th. Did not notice until the 50 mile ride home that i was unhappy with their latest generation. Terrible road noise, bumpy, hard contoured seats but main reason was the new steering wheel design that prevents you from resting your hand at the bottom of the wheel. I have a permanent neck injury and drive on open or safe roads with hand positioned on bottom of the wheel. They now have a tiny space that lets me get 3 fingers on bottom of the wheel. I ended up with 75 miles on the Accord. New Camry will cost me another $2,800.00. Could of been worse. Honda lost a faithful customer. What a dumb design. Love the Camry's ride, low noise, comfy seat and great steering wheel. The Honda steering wheel> http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/5923/5923_st0640_054.jpg">
  • After reading the recall, I took a look the gas pedal of my 2009 TCH. I noticed that the TCH gas pedal bottoms out rubbing the floor carpet(without the floormat) when pressed. Anything that is rubbery that place between the gas pedal and the floor carpet may cause the gas pedal to stuck. Comparing to my 2006 RX330, the gas pedal does not bottom out to the floor carpet when pressed. It may have some clearance issue on the gas pedal to the floor carpet!? I did remove the floor mat of my TCH. I remembered there are some instance that the floormat was off the hook after dropping off the car for car wash. I did not notice that days after!!!
    The day after I got my TCH home I removed the factory mats and put them in the trunk and used all weathers, mainly because my drive is gravel and the car is parked outside, I wind up wiht driveway in the car. The hooks in the Toyotas are strange, most cars have a snap button to hold the mat, their method is to use hooks that swivel, so if the mat moves any little bit they can get unhooked. I never had a pedal issue with the AWM, even though they slid all over the place. I didnt use Toyota AWM, I used Walmart specials.
    Before you get that Camry, do yourself a favor and check out the Milan/Fusion, since you have a neck problem, the seats may be more comfortable for you. My mother has a neck injury where she is missing a piece of bone, and the Camry seats were very uncomfortable for her. She doesn't mind the Sport seats, and the non Sport seats may be even more comfortable for her. You may even be able to get one for the Honda price and save $2800 plus they have 0% for 60 months on them.

If you have an ocular problem where back glare can affect your night vision, the dash will be a problem, no matter what others say, it will be a problem. As I am getting older I am finding it harder to see at night, and back glare is bad when I am trying to see the road on a dark stormy, or foggy night. The other night driving home in the pouring rain I was very happy with the Fusion, no back glare to distract me from seeing the road, just 3 kids, but thankfully they are not very bright at night when they are sleeping! :D
    My Toyota OEM AWM don't move - they are the only mats being used (not on top) and I have them connected to the TWO hooks. Just following the instructions. They don't move, never been a problem in 3 years on the 2007, a few months on the 2010.

They won't get "unhooked", unless you try, and even then, it takes some doing to get them out when I clean them.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I put Weathertech's in all my vehicles, as soon as I buy the vehicle. I went out and checked last night to see how secure they were in the Camry. They're on to those floor clips, it's almost impossible to get them unhooked when I WANT then unhooked and am trying....no way they're coming unhooked by themselves.

And nothing near the gas pedal to create a problem.

I guess if people were doubling or tripling up mats, and they were shifting around, there could be problems.
  • The plastic skirt in the front is too low to the ground - I live in a hilly town and I am always scraping this skirt as I turn in to streets that go up or from streets that go down. It doesn't show (yet) but it happens a lot - even when you are going really slow.
    Other than that - no problems after 2200 miles or so.
    Yes, I agree. I have Weathertechs in one, and Toyota All-weather in the other car.

If you use the clips, there will be no problems. And never put a mat on top of another!
    The 2010 is the same as the 2007, and I have not had this issue. When going up or down a steep drive, I go on an angle and slowly so I don't bottom-out.