Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Camry

Comments

• samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    "...anyone has any pic for the facelift Camry?..."

While I don't have any pic, my prediction is that it will not be as good as the current version. Leave it for Toyota -- every mid-cycle refresh must be worse than the first version, so it looks like an afterthought. If you remember the last Camry redesign (I think it was 2005) you'll know what I mean. Same for other models, like Sienna, etc.

The new refreshed 2010 Ford Fusion, on the other hand, seems to be much more advanced in design, and will be an improvement over the current version -- especially in the front grille section, which will blend beautifully into the front end.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Somehow he thinks understeer is the worst thing in the world. So you may be on to something -- powersliding is the way to go! ;)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    When I "powerslide" my RWD vehicle, or inadvertently find the rear attempting to "lead", I still have, as a rule, the front wheel traction with which to maintain directional control.

No one in their right mind would intentionally drive a FWD into an "understearing" circumstance on the public roadbeds in wintertime since recovery is simply a "game of chance". But then there is the subject of unintentional or inadvertent "understearing", in those conditions, what then...??
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    With the Stability Control systems which are standard in many vehicles (including the 2010 Camry, the new Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, et cetera), you'll be no better off in a rear-drive car than a front-drive car.
    "...you'll be no better off..."

Wrong, DEAD wrong...!!

Assuming equally capable VSC systems the RWD or R/AWD will still remain less hazardous overall, but certainly so in wintertime conditions.

Look at how, what most VSC systems do for a vehicle that is understearing. On the assumption that the front wheels have no "reserve" traction they dethrottle the engine and apply braking to the rear wheels, hopefully remaining with some "reserve" traction. Some of newer vehicles with electric power stearing will even apply a counter-stearing force to the stearing wheel against your stearing control input.

With over-stearing it is presumed that some reserve traction remains at the front so differential braking is used at the front to create a "moment" counter to the over-stearing direction.

But in a rather strange way it may be that you are correct.

Since wheelspin/slip due to engine torque is so potentially hazardous in a FWD or F/AWD the VSC/TC systems will be inordinately QUICK, in comparison to RWD or R/AWD(***), to dethrottle the engine the very INSTANT wheelspin/slip is detected.

The result.....??

Increased SAFETY of FWD and F/AWD since fewer FWD and F/AWD owners will venture out once they initially encounter TC activation.

*** Since the potential for loss of directional control isn't as great for RWD or R/AWD vehicles many TC systems delay dethrottling the engine for several hundred milliseconds once wheelspin/slips develops due to engine torque. If the driver doesn't respond fairly quickly by feathering the throttle then TC will then dethrottle the engine.
  • The first time I heard about it is from Yamaha. It is used in some of their ATVs. It is efficient and clean. It may take some time before the auto manufacturers bring it to perfection in terms of durability and handling. If the long term durability exceeds the current hydraulic system, then there is no point of going back to the hydraulic pump. Also, I believe the electric motor should be cheaper and easier to change than the pump.
  • waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
    Should the electric motor go out in the electric power steering, will the vehicle steering stop functioning all together, and you cannot turn the wheel at all, making it a deathtrap in a major accident? That's my major concern. It may be more dangerous than hydraulic steerings.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Walt, don't fret until we see the actual deployment.

This could easily just be a small little electric/hydraulic pump using the same steering as today....in which case you'd still have steering. I'm sure the engineers' have thought about loosing electrical power.
  • It is not fully electrical steering but electrically assisted. You still will be able to steer even if electrical assist will die, just going to be much tougher to turn the steering wheel. Technology seems to be OK, I have it on my 08 HL and it works without any problems.
    Nothing could be worse than trying to stear, turn your stearing wheel, with a DEAD PS pump.

Most current electric power stearing systems have an overheat mode wherein it operates at reduced capacity if used "too"(??) much. Apparently a few owners have already encountered this problem.
    Actually, steering without power assist isn't much of a problem except when operating the vehicle at very low speeds.

My granddad preferred the non-power steering of his old Honda to the power-assisted steering on his Frontier. Said it was much easier to keep straight on the highway.
  • Most companies are compensating with increased stiffness at high speeds when using electric power steering. I also have to say that using my Altima at low speeds is a breeze. In fact, it's much easier than any other midsize sedan I've tested thus far. However, it's still very responsive, and it stiffens up when traveling at higher speeds.

Honestly, you can say whatever you want about FWD vs. RWD cars. The problem is during this day, RWD sedans have become associated with Luxury/sports cars far more than regular sedans. It's very difficult to find a RWD sedan for < $30k. The exceptions are the Pontiac G8 and the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300C, which both cars can EASILY be pushed above $30k by adding on a few options. Realize that the only import car is the G8... since the G8 is Australian, is that considered an upgrade or a downgrade compared to domestics?

Back on topic, I've heard about the woes of the Corolla's EPS, but I haven't experienced it first hand yet. Some people describe it like "steering a brick" except that the brick would at least tell you what its limits were. :surprise:

Hopefully, the 2010 Camry will stay clear of this sort of approach.
    Sure. Even my old '96 Accord has "Torque-Sensitive" hydraulic power steering. My point was that losing power-steering assist when driving wouldn't really be "dangerous" unless you were driving at extra-legal speeds on a curvy road. Otherwise, it'd just firm up the steering. ;)
    Obviously you have never encountered a condition of PS pump failure. You not only have to use enough energy to turn the wheels but now you have to "PUSH" the hydraulic fluid "around".
    Obviously you have never encountered a condition of PS pump failure

Sorry, you're wrong.

I've driven a car with power steering when the vehicle stalled/died at speed. All hydraulic power was lost (electricals were fine, however). Losing braking power was the issue; losing power steering wasn't a problem at all.
    "At speed" isn't generally a problem as the need to turn widely isn't there.

Think of having to parallel park, for instance.
    The danger is awfully low if you aren't "at speed." If my power steering fails, I'm not going to parallel park somewhere. I'm going to get the thing fixed! :)
  • mayow wrote: " Edmunds says that the new Prius may hit 100mpg. If that is true..."

yeah, but read the article. there's a misleading headline and nothing in the story to support that 100mpg claim. lousy journalism.
  • 2010 Camry's will begin production in March of 09. To confirm some changes:

1. NEW 2.5 4 Cyl engine.
    2. New front and rear bumpers, grill, headlights, taillights.
    3. New Wheel Design.

Speculative changes:

1. A new color or two
    2. Gen 6 Nav system
    3. Minor interior trim changes--gauge and control fonts may change.
    4. More availability of Smart Key on models other than XLE.
    5. Hybrid version may get more trim/exterior mods to differentiate it from gas models.

More to come if I can confirm any other changes.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Do you know anything about transmissions for the 4 cylinder?