Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replacing 3.8 motors

burlisonburlison Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
We have a 99 T&C and are needing a new motor, I got a great deal on a 3.8 from a 94 Grand Caravan. Anyone know about compatibility issues with these?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    No, I do not know specifically. But, 1994 was still in the realm of OBD-I, and 1999 is OBD-II. So, make sure you strip all sensors off the motors and install everything from the '99 onto the '94 engine. Essentially, consider the '94 as a donor long block and use everything else from the '99.

I have a3.8L in my '98, with 181,000 on it, and it is as smooth as butter. I am still surprised by that, considering how iffy everything else on the van is from time to time. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • burlisonburlison Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. The 99 I am replacing had 240 on it, and finally started rattling(rod?). It did good though, just drove it cross country. The 94 has 140 on it, but it is running, and was $150.00.
  • janetmfxjanetmfx Member Posts: 4
    I have a Town & Country Limited with 24,000 kms on it. I have had nothing but problems with this car....I have had the brakes replaced( sounded like a bus), new starter(the car would turn over but hesitated alot, new my gig(u connect didn't work) and that is just some of the things. I have had issues with stalling...it has happened to me at least 10 times. I have been stalled in a middle of an intersection with cars coming at me with my kids in the car as well I ended up hitting someone in front of me because it had stalled. The last time before it stalled I heard a loud thunking under the hood. It turns out that my engine needs to be replaced. This happened on August 31 while I was on vacation and I still do not have my car back. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that have had so many problems with this car...I am just so disappointed and do not feel safe in my van and really don't ever want to drive it again....
This discussion has been closed.