Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My parents have had similar issues with their 2004 Armada. Twice while my mom was driving the car simply would not brake...luckily no one was hurt. When she took the car into Nissan they told her nothing was wrong with the car. Then a few months ago the brakes gave out while my parents were driving on highway. They rear-ended the car in front of them. Luckily they were driving at slow speeds and no one one was hurt. Once again Nissan says they can't find anything wrong with the car. I'm curious to know whether Nissan is doing anything to address your issue?
  • Rob -

Would you mind sharing what steps you took to get your refund? I won't let my daughter ride in my parent's Armada because I'm concerned about the brake will give out again. Obviously the ideal situation would be for my parents to get a new car. I'd appreciate and insight you can share.

Thanks.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I agree with Paisan. Something is missing from the stories here, or there is a piece of information that's missing. Complete brake failure on a modern vehicle (especially in the U.S, which the stringent DOT standards) is virtually unheard of here on a late model vehicle. Anyone who has indepth familiarity with servicing brake system will know what I'm speaking of. Granted things can happen with older vehicles that are not properly maintained or serviced, but the examples cited here are vehicles that are less than 3 years old. If there was a real issue here, NHTSA would be all over this immediately as complete brake failure is so obviously inherently dangerous. Is it possible that the examples being cited have other factors the writers did not mention?...for example slippery road conditions or operator error? Sure, it seems painfully obvious that the early Armadas has brake rotors that probably weren't beefy enough for American drivers and the weight of the truck (this is not unique to the Armada, and a lot of it is a function of the manufacturers trying to reduce vehicle weight, not to save a few dollars as you might think), but complete brake failure???
  • My dad was also skeptical about my mom's claims that the "brakes gave out". He also chalked it up to "operator error" that is until it happened to him. Everytime the problem occurred it was a sunny day (we live in TX) so no slippery roads. I don't know what the problem is but I'm just hoping they can find some resolution so that I can feel comfortable letting my daughter ride in her grandparent's car.
  • bradj3bradj3 Posts: 3
    Please read the messages concerning Armada brake sssues listed in the below edmunds link.
    Brake Problems
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup, you are making my point in a more eloquent manner. Perhaps they weren't complete failure, rather power-brake failure? Most drivers of today's cars would think that failure of the power brakes is equal to total brake failure, however there was a time when power brakes were optional. If the power brakes were to fail, you'd need to push very hard against the pedal in order to get brakes, however you would in fact get brakes by pushing hard.

I think there is some facts missing from these stories that we (or even those posting) are unaware of.

-mike
  • Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved in the 2007 version of the vehicle? If not, does this issue occur also in the Infiniti QX56?
    I think this is an isolated issue on 2004 models only.

05+ have not reported any issues.

-mike
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Mike, see the link that bradj3 posted. Could the VDC be affecting the brakes that significantly? One would think that the VDC would have a fail safe mode that would prevent that.
    My guess is that it is involving the VDC computer or the ABS computer (may be one in the same). That's why I was asking if they had replaced all the ABS sensors and the VDC/ABS ECU.

-mike
  • oscosc Posts: 2
    My Armada did the same thing for a year. The dealership did nothing because they said when they put the tester to it did not read anything was wrong. They told me I had to leave the car running, I told them what am I supposed to do when it does It again drive 10 miles with no brakes and end up in an accident. I happened to be across the street from a dealership when it did it again I pulled up and left the car running so they could put the tester to It and they told me I could not use the car because I had no brakes and they got me a rental. It turns out that It was some kind of booster. I called a layer but he said I had no damages so I could not Sue for endangerment. I feel we should file a class Action law Suit for negligence. What do you think since it happened to you. Let me know ASAP. Thank You, "O"
  • oscosc Posts: 2
    It happen to me and your right the Armada will finally come to a stop. But when you are driving and everything is normal then to have to make a quick stop it is not the same and you as a drive do not think something like this is going to happen so you are not prepared so if you are close to another car you WILL hit that car ( it takes longer for you to stop ) I guess you have not had this happed to you so I'll tell you what. Get your family in the car and drive on the rain and come to a situation were you have to stop suddenly so you will avoid an accident!!!!
  • I own a 2006 Nissan Armada SE 4x4, and I tow a enclosed trailer that with my bikes and everything else in it weighs about 6000 lbs every weekend. I always have a full vehicle as well and the car now has 15,000 miles and i haven't had a problem yet. This truck runs circles around my previously owned 04 Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 liter motor. My Nissan gets better gas milage and out tows the ford 10 to 1. I have driven fords all my life but never again after owning this Armada. I also work on all types of vehicles (I own a car stereo and accessory shop) and Nothing I have driven compares to the Armada in any field. It sits more passengers with more comfort, the ride is great and has more power than the expedition, tahoe, saburban, or durango. Also it holds its value a lot better than any american SUV on the market. I love this truck and will own Nissan for the rest of my life.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/turbo_talon08/Armada.jpg
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    I just put on a set of these Michelins and am amazed the difference in the ride... I highly recommend if you are in the market for tires to give them a try on your Armada..They are quieter, feel better in the curves and even seem to absorb the ruts and bumps better than the old Contis... Got all 4 installed at Costco for $850...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Did you get the Costco-Michelin $60 coupon sale that's going on now until 2/4?
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    Yes I did.. I was holding out for that.. Covered the cost of installation and taxes...
  • haropharop Posts: 59
    It is good to hear about those tires at costco, because I am also planning to get them. Actually, last month I was going to get set of 4, but the guys at costco told me I am still fine. So I did a round trip from TX to CA. Did lots of snow and off-roading and the truck was wanderfull. Tires are still fine, almost no difference after 5000miles.
    A friend of mine, who ownes hummer-1(real military I guess), drove mine in the mountains north of LA, off interstate 5, and after an hour he offered me to pay complete price I paid for my truck(I bought it used, 2006) and also purchase my tickets back to TX :)
    He was really impressed how Armada 4x4 LE handled the off-road anywhere he took to. He is a really off-road guy, so I trust him and now I trust my truck as well for off-roading.

-haro
    Just take your running boards off and the front air-dam below the bumper and you'll be good for offroading.

-mike
  • haropharop Posts: 59
    Mike,

I agree, there was lots of mud under the running boards, and because it is not flat under, it took me lots of time just to wash under the running boards.

Why should I take air-dam off? Is it easy, how?

Thanks,
    -haro
    Well I was saying take off the running boards and air dam if you are offroading. If you are just mudding it up a bit then you could probably take a subaru outback wherever you are going as the running boards and air dam give you about the same clearance as them.

The 1 time I did some serious offroading with my Armada I was rubbing the running boards and air dam over boulders and rocks the whole way. Luckily I didn't damage them too badly but next time I'll unbolt them before doing any offroading.

-mike