Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• just this morning, I had my 05 Armada pop out of park into reverse when I had stepped out of the car to put something in my mailbox, I have extensive damage and my children were inside - very scary! And of course the service manager "can't replicate the situation and has never heard of such a problem before". I'm not letting it go too lightly
  • meesacatmeesacat Posts: 4
    I just had the "new" rotors installed last week. These are the new version and I was told I was a test car. Hopefully it cures the problem. Also, I have tan cloth seats (what a mistake). Does anyone have a product recommendation to remove stains??? The dealer tried something, and now it's ten times worse. Please let me know!!!
  • I ran into this a long time ago. I was in a steep driveway and was sitting pulling straight out (not backing) and was waiting for traffic to clear. When I released the brake I started rolling so put it on again thinking it had to roll a bit before catching on whatever makes it stop. I released the break again and let it roll. It went down the driveway and would have went through the garage if I hadn't of been testing it. It rolled just like a manual transmission. I have never asked about it though at the dealership. Since after I noticed, I have tried it and in forward, if you are on a hill, it acts just like a manual transmission. Nothing holds it back. Why? I wish someone had the answer. You are not the only one as I have seen others complain about this.
  • Funny someone mentioned this. My brand new 2005 did the same thing in my driveway, and I commented to my wife how odd it rolls backwards while in drive. I had to double check that it was not in reverse. I guessed it was due to the above average heavy vehicle vs. low idle speed,and that the vehicle electronic computer controlled idle/hill/tranny technology had not been broken in yet. The system is supposed to adjust to driver styles and conditions over time to optimize performance and mileage. My other automatic holds itself, but is much lighter. I am not concerned, but it does make for a good service question, and a slight challenge when getting to a stop sign on a hill.
  • 81trekker81trekker Posts: 51
    Regading the cloth seat stains, might want to contact Stoner, Inc. in Quarryville, PA
    800-227-5538. They were helpful to me when their original product I used did not remove
    the lipstick without a leaving a stain. Sent me a carpet/upholstery care kit for free.
    I never used it as the stain eventually disappeared. Also, I had slipcovers on mine, not
    the bare seat. When you get the stain removed, might want to invest in the seat covers.
    Found a place in Florida that does a good job with them: www.seatcoversdirect.com.
    Have had them on for almost a year and now need to wash them. 81- Trekker
  • meesacatmeesacat Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I will try to give them a call!!!
  • I, too, am having the same rollback problem. I purchased a NEW, UNTITLED '04 Armada LE on March 28th and had this problem the first two days of driving. I test drove it over 40 miles (distance from dealership to my house and back) and all was peachy. The next day I drove it, round trip, about 120 miles. After the first 50+ miles, I noticed the rollback very subtly whenever putting it into drive. After going up a very steep hill, on which I had to reverse partly down the hill and drive up again to park it, it became much more noticeable thereon after. When I attempted to drive up the hill again it rolled back considerably. I had to press hard on the gas for the gear to "catch". At which point my kids were mortified because the screeching of the tires and the abrupt motion embarrassed them. Just to make sure I wasn't quacked, I tried it again in the safety of my driveway. Reversed it into the street, put it in drive and screeched the tires like a teenager in a hot rod . . .this time I was embarrassed, my neighbors were out. Salesman told me to bring it in right away. The technician test drove it right it the dealership garage and low and behold it was diagnosed as a transmission problem (that was March 30). They are replacing the transmission with a brand new one. Today is April 8th (not sure when I am getting my car back) and I have had their loaner car (2005 Armada) longer than I had my newly purchased car . . . at least the loaner is loaded. Obviously, I am not clairvoyant. Otherwise, I would have never bought this car but I see a recall in the future.
  • mikepmanmikepman Posts: 5
    I just got the new fix done on my brakes. They replaced the rotors and pads in the front and machined the rotors in the rear and also replaced the pads. This was the third time at the dealer for breaks. I have had the car for 7 months and have driven just over 7K. I had to shake the tree to get the new fix since the parts are very limited. I had to file a claim with Nissan 1 after the second break job. When the judder began again I contacted the rep and referenced my file number. They contacted the dealer and both parties were able to find me the new parts.
  • ldpldp Posts: 8
    I have a 04 armarda 4x4 LE.I only have 6k total and it had been in the shop 3 time.The first time is the back windowns make noise when rollup they replaced both motor and the my brake got bad in 3k they replaced new brake then the back window make noise again and the front driver window make noise when roll up and then it roll back down by itself I am afraid of using these windows and my brake is going bad again at 6k. 4-10-2005.I should kept my 01 toyota sequoide limited. also i got the transmition roll back to but not as much because i live inhouston tx
  • art326art326 Posts: 2
    Have any members filed Lemon Law Claims against Nissan concerning the brake judder issue? If so, what settlements have been made or offered? Thanks.
  • rosie726rosie726 Posts: 40
    In the process of this at this time, no offers made yet.
    Took our Armada in today for the FIFTH brake repair, the new parts are not available at this time, so the rotors were resurfaced as a temporary fix. Were told parts should be available next month. Guess we'll see. Oh!! One other thing straight from the service managers mouth, the NEW 05 Armada's are still coming in with the original defective brakes!!!!!! Buyer beware!
  • Yes. A few employees at dealers still have various stories. A sales guy will directly tell you the 2005s are fixed, but this is not true unless the production date is after March 2005, then it may be true. A service advisor will beat around the bush and advise the probably may not happen on the 2005s to delay the inevitable replacement. I got all the stories from different departments at different dealers during my shopping.

However, you are right, the 2005s produced to date do not have the beefed up brake system. I got the #1 guy in charge of my dealership service department to meet with me, address the brake issue, among other service inquiries, before signing the purchase deal. They were straight up in confirming the 2005s did not yet have the new system. It was Nissan's willingness to fix the problem for free on previous customers and their recent replacement release that makes it almost a non-issue now.
  • batwomanbatwoman Posts: 2
    You can find info about the lemon law or lemon layers if you google it. I am having a lawyer from Conejo Valley, CA handle my claim. If you have a life threatening problem twice in 18K (ie: brakes) there should not be any problems invoking the lemon law. There is a clause in the lemon law that pays for the lawyer also. It's a shame about the Armada. All the features and the look of the SUV are great for the price - but unfortunately the workmanship is typical american junk.
    I went thru their "Consumer Assistance" dept - not much assistance there ( she said no) so I got a lawyer.
    Who's to say that this "FIX" will be the one that works?? the last 2 modifications didn't do the trick, why is this one any different??
  • Time will tell. The difference with this fix is that it completely replaces the pads, calipers, and rotors with larger newly engineered ones. This is not a rework of existing same old pieces like the last few TSBs did. Probability is on the side of this one working, not only because of the mechanical physiscs, but the financial impact to Nissan not getting this one right would be more than tremendous.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    The lemon laws differ from state to state. I try pursuing the lemon law with the ARMADA. Since I live in Nevada, I have to use the arbitration process thru the BBB. This is where I wish I was back in California. California has a much better system geared for the consumers. I use the lemon law a few years back in a different vehicle on a unrepairable fuel gauge and won a buyback. Needless to say, I had a good and aggressive lawyer.

In Nevada its a different story. I went thru the arbitration process with the Armada and it didn't fly. The arbitrator was incompetent and very biased. This BBB sponsored arbitration process is so in favor of the car manufactures its completely unfair. Who pays for the BBB arbitration process are the car manufactures. Right off the bat it's conflict of interest. Of course, the arbitrator is going to rule in favor of the car manufactures since the BBB hand picks them and more than likely gets paid by them. Nevada aught to change its laws to mirror of that like in California. Arbitration should not be mandatory. Try to find a half decent lawyer for lemon laws here in Nevada is non-existent. Its very disapointing.

I haven't given up yet. I got somethings up my sleeve. Good luck to anyone is going thru one.
  • You are wrong! Why does so many people keep posting that the calipers will be replaced. No one has ever said that! No one. I am waiting on pads now. The parts are in but no pads. I asked and they said the fix does not involve calipers. If someone is telling you this, they are telling you a lie. Who knows if the fix will work. I am not confident. To have waited for 1 1/2 years and this is my 5th time in for brakes (now 21k miles) I am out of hope. I called the dealership a couple of weeks ago and they told me the parts were in so bring it in that monday. I took it in that monday, just to hear that all the parts were not there, so sorry for your trip down! I asked what is involved and they told me, pads, rotors, some bolts and some sort of kit. I said calipers also, right? They said no. The fix does not call for calipers. I have waited now for over 1 1/2 weeks and still no brake pads and my vehicle shakes badly. I am at wits end. It kills me everyone saying their vehicles don't have the problem. THEY ALL DO! Nissan has admitted it. It must be driving habits (city driving vs more open road) as that is the only thing I could figure out that could explain it. Why else would mine and others have to be replaced time after time. My friend says his have been fine (31k miles) and he has never had a problem other than squealing but his driving is mostly highway. We live in the same area but he rarely drives it on start and stop trips. I don't mean to lecture, well I guess I do. Wise up people, these things have problems!
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    Yea, till I get it in writing from Nissan I will not be satisfied. I heard from all of the reports, hearsay mind you, that calipers are involved. Right now I suspect that calipers and other critical parts are in short supply till next month. Availibility is suppose to get better, again, this is hearsay. Time will tell if this is a real fix.
  • You're right about no calipers, but here are the rest of the parts some guy posted on the Titan forum. Pads and rotors are key friction pieces anyway.

A new TSB was just issued last week on the brake judder fix.
    It is TSB: 04066C, dated 3/23/05.
    Here are the new part numbers:
    NEW BRAKE ROTORS AND PADS
    40206-ZC00A ROTORS
    41060-ZC025 FRT PADS
    44060-ZC025 REAR PADS
    41005-7S000 TORQUE MEMBER ANCHOR BOLTS

You're also probably right about driving habits and styles. However, this is no excuse for not having a decent set of brakes on a heavy vehicle. Ask GM and Ford who got brakes right years ago.

Nissan is a pretty smart company, and probably got it right after this long. I hope my gamble to buy and Armada last month works out. At any rate, we still have the 3 year unlimited miles brake guaranty.