Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• We have an 04 basic model that we put 36000 miles on in about 18 months, mostly traveling up and down the east coast. Since gas went up in Sept., it's spent most of the time in the garage and we drive the other vehicles.

I was going to drive it somewhere so I knew I had to check the tires first. I then decided to start it since it had not been started for a few weeks. It would not turn over. So, I jumped it with the 02 Mustang which was next to it in the garage. (The Mustang's battery was much smaller but it did the job.)
    We drove it wherever and got it back home just fine. I had also noticed that the interior lights were not working so I took it to the Nissan dealer. They called to tell us that the "body control module" had failed which would have to be replaced at a cost of about $550. Fortunately, we had the extended warranty which covered the cost less $50 deductible.

After picking it up, we noted that my single key would start it but my wife's would not. Her remote would also not open the door. The dealer suggested they need to be reprogrammed. He reprogrammed them at no cost and the big truck is doing fine.

The dealer also stated that the battery had likely failed because of the control module failed.

I'm posting this here so others may be aware of such a failure and it's symptoms. If your battery goes dead for no obvious reason and/or one or more of your keys/remotes do not work, and/or interior lights/door locks, etc. don't work, it could be the body control module is gone.

This is the ONLY major failure we have had although the brakes were serviced twice. We are generally happy with our big truck. Guess they built a few that are ok.

81 Trekker
  • I had a problem with my door, it wouldn't close.After 23,000 miles of headaches and at least 12-15 trips to the dealer traded for a Honda Pilot.20,000 miles 0 trips to the dealer.
  • I am an old poster on this site but haven't posted in a long time but have been watching. If you look back at my old posts, you will see I have had these repairs and new ones since my last post on my 2004 Armada I bought in November of 2003. They are roof repair (roof not attached to the interior supports, bad!) Brakes replaced several times then finally the fix we have waited on and it it worked I am glad to say, clicking in rear end, bearings needed some some of adjustment and work (tsp on this) squeaky seats and still squeak, loud and I mean loud squeak from the front end that I found myself. Close the drivers door and it would squeak up front even. Popped the hood and no squeak. They greased the hood stops is all. I didn't know you had to do that, (took 3 trips to get that figured out) squeaks in the dash, mostly fixed, sun visor fell off when I drove off the lot the first time I bought it. It hit me on the forehead and nose and cut my head, fun!, Passenger sun visor later almost fell off, front console busted from the factory and loose and squeaking (took about 3 or 4 months to get the part to get it replaced) Main console loose had to be tightened, replaced one tire at around 12 or 13k miles worn out, others lasted until the low 20's. Nissan would not cover it as I had just passed the 12k warranty mark. I had taken it in for the wearing every time it went in. So in the end I got a new set of tires which started wearing that of course I had to pay for. Sears aligned all 4 wheels said they were off. Kept wearing. Finally I paid Nissan to align and it seemed to fix the problem. I think there was more to it than alignment and I will explain why later, when it heats up a diesel sound from under the hood which is the last thing they haven't been able to fix. There is a fix for a purge valve and I brought that to their attention but they said they can't hear it. There is much more I am sure as I have done so much and it has been in the shop so many times I haven't counted. This last time it will be right at 2 weeks. My warranty was running out at 36k miles so I thought, well last chance to get everything covered. I have a bad screeching sound in the front end when it is cold you notice more if you go over a bump. Speed bumps especially. Sounds like worn out springs on a '64 Chevy. They have tired to find it 2 other times but no luck. Finally this last time they heard it and said it was a terrible sound. Well, they couldn't find anything wrong after they got it in the shop. Then it warmed up and no sound. It turned cold yesterday and it was doing it all day and they said they had to lubricate some bushings. Sounds like a temporary fix to me, not sure. The good thing that came out of this test drive is he said they heard another bad bumping under the vehicle and it was so bad, they pulled over and was considering having it towed back as it sounded like something loose hitting the floor. Well, I had taken it in for this no less than 3 times but nothing was found so I didn't even bother mentioning this time as I felt they would not fix it. He said they put the screeching on hold at that point and got it in the shop and upon inspection they found.. drum roll... I have 2 missing body bolts and he said my body was slapping against the frame on the drivers side as you turned or hit a bump. Now why couldn't they notice this before??? He said they wouldn't let me have it back until the bolts came in on monday. He said he considered it unsafe to drive. He said they were loose. I asked him how loose. He said they were so loose they fell out and are missing. Hmmm.. I bet it never had them. I can go on and on as I am sure there are things I have missed. Here is one last thing. I am not a picky driver and my last new vehicle before the Armada was a Isuzu Trooper and had only been in the shop the whole time I had it for service for a torn leather seat which was warranted. That was it. At this point I think I have everything fixed except the diesel sound from under the hood, nuisance but doesn't seem to have an effect on performance as it has done it since new. I want to love the vehicle and now I do enjoy driving it but it has been a long hard road. I had talked about trading it before but the resale was so bad and mine looks mint! Now I am afraid of whatever else that wasn't tightened from the factory that could cause harm. Good luck all and sorry for the long post.
  • I forgot one thing. My drivers door came became loose and had dropped down. THe bolt that holds the top hinge was about to fall out. I don't know how it stayed on really and how it didn't get wedged in the door. I told the dealer what it was and let them fix it or they would have said I did something to it. I think these things just didn't have anything tightened like they were supposed to be.
  • I'm in the market for a new large SUV. I love the style, size, power everything about it but.....are all the bugs worked out on the 06 Armada? Would anybody recommend this vehicle?
  • I have been driving my 2004 Armada for more than 30K and I have experienced most of what I read on this forum. Everything shaped up some time ago about 10K back and it's running well now. I put it to hard use pulling a 32' Travel Trailer up and down steep hill up and back from Ontario and out to Tennessee. I do have a peculiar issue now that the dealer says "doesn't seem to be of any consequence" After driving awhile (an hour or so) and everthing is warmed up I get a strange popping and crackling sound coming from underneath about midway This occurs when I shut it off and continues for about 10 min.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what does it suggest. There is no smoke or an odur coming out??

Sorcisto
  • Purchased my '06 Fri.20.Jan. Experience to date very positive. Largest vehicle I've ever owned. Great handling & amazing sense of stability. Very comfortable. Hope future models are more fuel efficient as I'd like to remain with an SUV Armada's size (I take care of vehciles & hold on to them. Not a frequent trader.). Enormous interior space. Highly recommended this writing, but it's very early in my ownership.
  • ksloan77ksloan77 Posts: 28
    stay away from this vehicle at all costs!!!! unless you have a very special relationship with you dealer and want to see them a few times a month, buy something else!!!

there has never been a vehicle produced that as poorly designed and built as this vehicle.
  • ksloan77ksloan77 Posts: 28
    apparently you didn't take my advice and bought this piece of crap anyway....well at least now, your singing with the quior.
  • gorkingorkin Posts: 1
    I need a new engine- 4 times I brought to the dealership this summer- cound not find the problem- car finally dies- the check engine light was on with each visit- deacceleration and would stop- terrible service- never a call back- I have sought legal counsel and will =send my letters to President of Nissan, the dealership and the attorney general of New York
  • I just recently purchased a 2005 Armada and had to have brakes and roters replaced at 3000 miles. It has been another 1000 miles and they are grinding again. Is this is a sign of things to come? What has been your experience with brake replacement?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Your dealer probably didn't install the upgrade kit. I had a similar problem at 3k miles, my dealer put in the upgrade kit and i'm not at 20k miles, about 15k of them towing a 6,000 lb car trailer and no issues at all.

-mike
  • I have an 04 Armada and I love it. I have had some small problems here and there but they are just that...small. I love the size, the ride, everything. The gas milage is even better than I thought. Mine is also the first year they came out so some small problems are to be expected. I also think whatever car you chose you will find dissatisfied owners just the same. I would difinately recommend this SUV.
  • gbajagbaja Posts: 13
    bethchris,
    I would like to know if you are working for nissan.(JUST ASKING)
    Because your comments sounds like your one of them. The only thing I agree on your statement is the size and that is all. I got an '04 Armada with all the upgrades and guess what? I had the other side of your coin which is strange huh...........tnx :confuse:
  • suzy0418suzy0418 Posts: 11
    Hi!
    I'm on second Armada. I bought the 04' in Sept of 2oo4 and bought another in Nov 05'. I have the o6' and I love it. I live in Ny myself and I had problems with the brake system. My husband contact the attorney general of Ny and we files for Arbitration for Lemon Law. It cost $250 which you get back if you win your case. Its such an easy process and they really are there to help the comsumer. My girlfriend is having a problem with her Chrysler and I gave her the same advise. She went to her hearing last Tuesday. If you need advise feel free to contact back. I know how you feel.
  • suzy0418suzy0418 Posts: 11
    Hi
    I had the 2004 and we had it bought back by Nissan. It was a lemon. At my Arbitration hearing the Nissan rep said that the 2005 that we built after July had the new brake kits in them. My O4 had the new brake system installed 2 weeks before my meeting, but by that time I just wanted a new one.
    I now have the o6' and so far so good. So check on the side of your drivers door panel to when the truck was build to find out when it was manufactured date. Hope I answered your question.
    Susan
  • It's a sign of things to come. I bought an 2005 2x4 SE Armada back in March 2005. First it was with the brakes. Love the exterior solid look and interior room. After washing the car within a day or so the front wheels were black with brake dust. Back wheels lagged a few days behind. I called the dealer and they said the brake pads were new and needed to "break in". After about 3k miles the wheels were black, could not keep them clean. By then I also noticed when braking the steering wheel would vibrate when braking "judder". Took the car to the dealer, they said the brake dust and judder was due to warped rotors and needed to be machined. They machined the front rotors washed the car and sent me on my way. Few days later the front wheels were black again. At 6k miles the judder resurfaced. Took it back to the dealer and they said there was a new brake kit from Nissan. They replaced all the brake pads on all four wheels and replaced the front rotors with bigger ones. At 12k miles have not had any more dust problems or judder. However, this is not the only problems I have had. I have also had problems with the radio in that the bass/treble/fade etc. controls do not work correctly when turning the knob. Also noticed water accumulation inside the passenger headlight. Took it to the dealer, after 4 hours with hungry two kids and a pregnant wife in the waiting room they replaced the headlight and told me the radio also needed to be replaced but they did not have it in stock. Had to return when it arrived to get it replaced. Other problems. The vehicle is a rattlebox. The roof rattles like crazy and gets rather annoying especially on long trips. The front and back interior also has some rattles. Towed my boat within the first week of getting the vehicle. After towing, I noticed a clicking sound in the middle of the undercarriage. Took it to the dealer, and they said it was something to do with adding grease to something. The sound went away temporarily but the clicking has come back. Still love the interior room and storage and bold exterior look but don’t be fooled. With all the problems I have had and no end in sight, with fuel prices sky rocketing, with all the inconveniences of going to the dealer and this being the family vehicle. I had no choice but to get rid of this piece of junk. I am really disappointed with Nissan. I bought a 2000 Maxima and had it for 6 six years, no problems. But, after this I will never by another Nissan.

To end this long sad story with a happy ending, after only 12k miles I ended up trading it in for a foreign fully loaded minivan. Much better gas mileage, same payments and terms, easier access for my kids, leather, moonroof, etc. and most important: NO MORE HEADACHES.
  • I purchased my 04 Armada in September 04. The ongoing problems have been listed a multitude times by Armada owners on this site already so I will not list them again. After 16 months of fighting with the dealership (who did not care) and fighting with Nissan (who did not care) I turned the whole mess over to an attorney. I've never done that in my life, but desperation and frustration will drive a person to take new roads. Finally, we have an offer we can live with and received the settlement papers today. This is our 8th Nissan - and our last. 2004 may have just been a "bad year", but after discovering that Nissan simply does not care about customer service or backing their products, they will never receive another dime of my money. (They don't care about that, either.) My final answer about Nissan - DON'T TAKE THE DEAL. If it's too late and you already did, save yourself some grief. Document EVERYTHING and send it to a lawyer. Unfortunately, Nissan will not work with you without one, but once you do that, they will pay you to make you shut up and go away. Works for me.
  • Read my post on 4/7/06. I think it's #284. You can still keep your vehicle if you really want to, but Nissan owes you something and you can get it. I do not have the attitude that the world owes me anything, but vehicles that come with this kind of price tag should NOT have these problems and the manufacturer must be held accountable. Okay -I'm off my soap box.
  • rafarafa Posts: 35
    Hi everyone traded in my o4 nissan titan in january NISSAN ARMADA SE and its a great suv its big powerful and good looking I think nissan is making great cars and trucks also have a 05 nissan maxima se and its great no problems so far going on a year. This is our 4 nissan and im 25 years old and my wife is 22 the cars are not that pricey like toyota and honda and american cars just suck there pos and not good looking there for old people. just wanted to know were i can get some splash guards for the armada went to dealer the showed me some thin ones way different from the rear one that came from factory parts guy said thats the only one they caries all the dealers said that wanted to know if titan ones fit any help thank you
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    Yep, Nissan and its dealers doesn't give a hooten crap about their greiving customers. The Armada proved to be a dark horse and just like you, I hired an attorney and Nissan came to terms. Never buy a Nissan again. Instead a bought a Honda and I'm a happy camper, again. What a difference in quality.
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    I have thought about the Pilot, but I go offroad in Assateague, which can be really soft sand. Have you used the Honda off road at all? I guess I am one of the Armada owners who have had minimal problems.. Little fit and finish stuff (2 overhead consoles) and the brakes having to be replaced at 20K (which the dealer took care of). But I am getting good wear out of the Conti's and the brake pad replacement eliminated the black rim issue as well. I really love driving the Armada, but have to admit that I am scared to death of the warranty expiring next year...
    Did not get the Pilot. Rather I acquired the Ridgeline. Yes its a little smaller than thah the "Lemonarda". The quality is much better, It rides very smooth and the nav system is far superior. I'm close to 15K with no problems, what so ever, The voice activated NAVI and rear camera are my favorite optional features. Plus the good leasing deal that I negotiated makes this truck all the better.

Offroad is ok and is better than the Pilot. So is the tow rating.

So long Lemonarda.
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    I like the Ridgeline, by I need the 3rd row. That is what pushed me toward the Armada originally... I will probably go with the Sequoia next year...
  • crhotencrhoten Posts: 2
    when purchasing the 2006 Armada LE, we purchased the entertainment package that included the satallite radio-(xm). Upon delivery the dealer representative said, "they made a mistake and it did not have xm radio capability." I told them I wanted a factory ready radio for xm. They said they would do that and it took a month to install some kind of xm system. There is a small ?something? on dash- (not an antenna) however, no wires are showing. Reception is AWFUL. I have a sirius sitting on dash of another car that I purchased at radio shack and it puts out better reception than this "so called" factory installation of xm. Does anyone know what is wrong with HOW the dealership installed the xm??
  • crhotencrhoten Posts: 2
    HELP PLEASE!! when purchasing the 2006 Armada LE, we purchased the entertainment package that included the satallite radio-(xm). Upon delivery the dealer representative said, "they made a mistake and it did not have xm radio capability." I told them I wanted a factory ready radio for xm. They said they would do that and it took a month to install some kind of xm system. There is a small ?something? on dash- (not an antenna) however, no wires are showing. Reception is AWFUL. I have a sirius sitting on dash of another car that I purchased at radio shack and it puts out better reception than this "so called" factory installation of xm. Does anyone know what is wrong with HOW the dealership installed the xm??
  • amgurramgurr Posts: 1
    It depends on if you want an overpowered car (Armada)or an extremely underpowered truck (Sequoia). The (2006 only) Armada is a great truck with a great ride. The interior is great and roomy, roomy, roomy. Many of the problems described in the previous pages are not the case with the 2006 Armadas due to it being the 3rd model year. Nissan is worked out all the problems and put out their 2006 Armada. We recently purchased a 2006 Armada and love it! I highly reccomend.
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Posts: 36
    Just want everyone to know going on 5th time to repair brakes on my 2004 Armada. At21,000 miles 2nd time to replace kit. Anyone else having repeat failures after fix
    was done. Know any good lawyers? :mad:
    Am I surprised?? No!! With gas prices souring through the roof and the terrible gas milage and on top of that the brake problems. Its time to dump the Lemonada. Plenty of good lawyers out there.
  • rafarafa Posts: 35
    Hi everyone wanted to know if someone can help me I going in for the first oil change and i have 2300 miles on it and was going to dealer but I want to use full sync oil can i use it on this engine and will there be any problems please help great truck