Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Subframe Rust

Comments

• I'm glad it's going to work out! I'm sure it's a huge relief. :)
  • My fiance was driving her 01 Sonata to work when she loses control and hits the ditch line. We have it towed to a hyundai dealership which said it qualified for the recall. After calling the consumer affairs hotline, we find out that the recall only covers the frame and labor. They said it did not cover any other damage that might have been caused by this defect, for instance, if the axle, ball-joints, etc. were damaged, we are liable. They did not even cover the towing or offer us a rental car. Does anyone know of a Number to call for legal assistance on this matter?

The only thing the said was that we could file a Good Will Reimbursement Form after the car was fixed and we paid for it. But we really cannot afford an $800+ bill right now, especially since it was no fault of ours for the frame breaking. Any help would be awesome!!!
  • Last week my local mechanic told me ( when I did the oil change) and showed me the the rust on the sub-frame. He said that it has to be replaced as soon as possible. My Hyundai is 2000 sonata. Then I called local dealer and reported the issue. he said that there is no re-call for this vechicle and I may have to pay the repair fee. but he has to do the estimate before that. Than I called national consumer affairs and told them my issue. ( The guy I spoke looks very professional and guided properly) They also said that there is no re-call. But it was originally operated in chicago and wisconsin ( currently in california) , so falls into their campaign managment category and directed me to take the local dealer. tomorrow I am taking to the local dealer. Hope everything will go good and Hyundai will take care of the service.
  • If you are the original owner you should not have a problem. I also had the 2000 Sonata and consumer affairs took all my info and gave me the campaign number. I had to make an appt with the dealer to evaluate it to see if it needed a new subframe or just the repair kit to fix it. But both were covered. I had to wait about 3 weeks to get it fixed due to the backlog of work fixing them, but they replaced it for free.
  • Yes I am the owner of this hyundai. Today I took to the dealer and they are going to inspect and contact hyundai regarding that. dealer asked me to agree to pay $130 for the inspection in case if hyundai is not taking care of that.
    Also I found there is a recall for - 2000 Hyundai sonata suspension recall- ( sonta suspension recall - ID# 70094 ) In that article they mentioned that this issue is due to the subframe rust. Hyundai recall date is APR 16, 2009.
    Hope hyundai will take care of the issue.
  • Yes they will fix it. Make sure you file a claim at Hyundai Consumer Affairs 800 633 5151 and at nhtsa.gov. I don't know why they want you to pay for an inspection, but i would insist on that being reimbursed. If I can help you in anyway contact me directly at tntnknb@juno.com
    Tom Baker Kansas CIty MO
  • I have already filed a case with Hyundai consumer Affairs and got the case id. Not yet filed with nhtsa.gov. yesterday local dealer called and told that they are talking to Hyundai. Hyundai may cover the subframe services , but they are not sure about the other things like if any other part is damaged while they trys to replace the subframe. As of now they are saying that they don't have any clear answer. ( if hyundai is not paying, then I may have to pay for those ). Today I called Hyundai consumer affairs. they said that dealer will call you by monday. Looks like the discussion is going between them. Meanwhile I am having issue for my commute, so I asked them the loaner car / rental car. but hyundai consumer affairs says that this service is up to local dealer only. because my car is 2000 sonata and kept the miles abt 119K. Local dealer says that they don't have any loaner car and they will arragne the rental car. but i have to pay the rents. ( Actually I have been doing the services like check engine light done two times and changed the wheel bearing one time with these local hyundai dealers..Only regular oil change will be done at other local mechanic shops...This car almost all the maintenance are done with hyundai dealers only even from beginging. that time i was in different state )
  • I took my 2002 Sonata in for the recall repair. The next day, it was making two noises: a really loud metal-on-metal scraping noise, and when the car was in drive, but paused at a stop or light, it roared like I was revving the engine. When I took it to the dealer, they said they hadn't "bent" the ears of the new subframe up, but that they couldn't even identify or claim to be the source of the other noise, even though it didn't exist when I took it in. Now it has gotten progressively worse and sounds like a helicopter trying to take off--shaking terribly, even enough to make the change in the ashtray jingle. I'm a week from the recall appointment and have an appointment with them today. I took the car to my local neighborhood mechanic who said it sounds like a broken motor mount. Looking at the repair invoice, there's a notation that they broke bolts in the manifold (?) and replaced them. I wonder if they damaged some other stuff while I was there. What do you think?
  • Have you checked your subframe after they changed at the hyundai dealer itself. Did they charge you anything for the subframe change saying that additionlly we have changed this bolt ,that bolt etc like that.. Did they completely changed the subframe last time or they have done something else like putting holes and other stuff as mentioned in the nhta.gov

For me, dealer service guy told that better not to drive the car. because the subframe rust is too bad. So I just left the car at the dealer service center. they ordered the subframe and waiting. hopefully it come will come by today or tomorrow. After that I will come to know. My car also there is no issues as of now. other than the subframe rust issue.
  • Friday I visited the Hyundai dealer (service). They are started working on my car and shown me the rusted frame and some of other parts which are not usuable ( not able to unscrew ). Now they are going to order those parts and let me know. hopefully by this week end 4th Dec, I will get my car.
  • I just got the letter today 12/11/09. I am the original owner of a 2000 gls v6 pkg 13. I looked under the car. The whole subframe has rust holes all in it. I live in Ohio. The car started falling apart in the last year. The alignment caused two new tires to be shredded in three weeks. After reclining the driver seat all the way back it wont go back up or move forward or do anything. I cant locate the fuse or the all stop switch for the drivers seat due to a lost fuse panal. Im worried I cant get the repairs done due to it being my only source of transportation and having to drive 15 miles to work each day. Any comments welcome. Especially about the driver seat not working.
  • The owners manual should show the fuse location. Check the plugs under the seat and by the switch. You could check every fuse. There is an online service manual that will have the fuse locations and trouble shooting information
  • I got my car (sonata 2000) from the Hyundai dealer after the sub frame change. They didn’t charge anything.
    As per the re-call they did it free of cost. But the alignment was not done perfectly. Because they are saying that they were not able to do the alignment due to the rust on the other bolts.
    They are not able to open/close those, so they said that they have done at their max. Now the car steering is little bit away from the normal.
    Don’t know what will happen due to this. Any idea or suggestion.
  • Today I took to the hyundai dealer who did the replaced the subframe for the recall. Because I heard the clunk sound when I stop and accel. Now hyundai saying that my rear motor mount broken. Now I have to pay for this service.
  • I hate to sound too cynical but Hyundai did, after all, replace a rather expensive part free of charge (other manufacturers might have said "a 2000 model car??? and it is rusted after 9 years of hard use on salty roads...too bad, trade it in on our newest model"). The rusted bolts can probably can be removed by cutting off or drilling out and tapping new threads then installing new ones but you will pay for that extra bit of service. Same with the broken motor mount which is a wear item and after nearly 10 years it is not too suprising it is spent (worn out). How much free stuff do you expect Hyundai to provide on what amounts to an old car??
  • Motor mount is wear item??? You must be joking.
  • I just posted a few days ago about the recall and guess what. I had to brake hard and the passenger front side subframe broke last night causing the wheel mount to separate from the frame. The closest dealership is 40 miles. What are my options. Does it have to be fixed at the dealer? They say I have to pay for the tow and the drive axel.
  • Joking?? of course not... it IS a wear item. Have you ever seen a motor mount? It is constructed of thick rubber sandwiched between steel mounting plates and is used to control engine movement. The rubber deteriorates due to heat/vibration/motor oil/transmission fluid and the torque of the engine trying to twist it with every throttle movement. Yes, they do fail ( the rubber breaks) with the need for periodic replacement and in case you haven't been paying attention this is the very definition of a "wear item".
  • I just called and received my claim number and the towing bill will be 150. I didn't notice any rubber. When I looked, the sub frame steel was torn out. I dont think that is a wear item. I had my car aligned in early november due to my front tires starting to shred on the inside. I replaced the tire and the independent service department didn't say anything about the rust. The funny thing is I had just moved in the last few months and the recall letter had my new address. I'm wondering if this problem flagged in the computer when I got my alignment, so Hyundai rushed out the recall letter to me. Heck I dont have the money right now even for the tow to the dealer let alone the incidental repairs that probably are not covered by the recall but caused by the failure. I have no credit cards and the recession hit me directly. My "new" car only lasted 9 years and a 105,000 miles. So much for the top of the line 2000 Hyundai Sonata.
  • We are talking about different things. The motor mount and subframe are distinctly different things and, no the subframe isn't a wear item in the general sense of the word. So, that the car "only" lasted 9 years and over 100K miles is something that you are discouraged about? Without knowledge of where you live (rustbelt?) and how well you kept the car clean in the winter since preventative maintainence is important (by that I mean washing the salt off weekly at least) I consider that average especially since this problem is a known one. Anyhow incidental repairs are inevitable if nobody noticed the all the damage underneath and tried to align the car and installed new tires. Shame on that independant service dept.since the abnormal tire wear should have been a big tip off to them something wasn't right...big time.