Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Subframe Rust

2»

Comments

• I just got the letter today 12/11/09. I am the original owner of a 2000 gls v6 pkg 13. I looked under the car. The whole subframe has rust holes all in it. I live in Ohio. The car started falling apart in the last year. The alignment caused two new tires to be shredded in three weeks. After reclining the driver seat all the way back it wont go back up or move forward or do anything. I cant locate the fuse or the all stop switch for the drivers seat due to a lost fuse panal. Im worried I cant get the repairs done due to it being my only source of transportation and having to drive 15 miles to work each day. Any comments welcome. Especially about the driver seat not working.
  • The owners manual should show the fuse location. Check the plugs under the seat and by the switch. You could check every fuse. There is an online service manual that will have the fuse locations and trouble shooting information
  • I got my car (sonata 2000) from the Hyundai dealer after the sub frame change. They didn’t charge anything.
    As per the re-call they did it free of cost. But the alignment was not done perfectly. Because they are saying that they were not able to do the alignment due to the rust on the other bolts.
    They are not able to open/close those, so they said that they have done at their max. Now the car steering is little bit away from the normal.
    Don’t know what will happen due to this. Any idea or suggestion.
  • Today I took to the hyundai dealer who did the replaced the subframe for the recall. Because I heard the clunk sound when I stop and accel. Now hyundai saying that my rear motor mount broken. Now I have to pay for this service.
  • I hate to sound too cynical but Hyundai did, after all, replace a rather expensive part free of charge (other manufacturers might have said "a 2000 model car??? and it is rusted after 9 years of hard use on salty roads...too bad, trade it in on our newest model"). The rusted bolts can probably can be removed by cutting off or drilling out and tapping new threads then installing new ones but you will pay for that extra bit of service. Same with the broken motor mount which is a wear item and after nearly 10 years it is not too suprising it is spent (worn out). How much free stuff do you expect Hyundai to provide on what amounts to an old car??
  • Motor mount is wear item??? You must be joking.
  • I just posted a few days ago about the recall and guess what. I had to brake hard and the passenger front side subframe broke last night causing the wheel mount to separate from the frame. The closest dealership is 40 miles. What are my options. Does it have to be fixed at the dealer? They say I have to pay for the tow and the drive axel.
  • Joking?? of course not... it IS a wear item. Have you ever seen a motor mount? It is constructed of thick rubber sandwiched between steel mounting plates and is used to control engine movement. The rubber deteriorates due to heat/vibration/motor oil/transmission fluid and the torque of the engine trying to twist it with every throttle movement. Yes, they do fail ( the rubber breaks) with the need for periodic replacement and in case you haven't been paying attention this is the very definition of a "wear item".
  • I just called and received my claim number and the towing bill will be 150. I didn't notice any rubber. When I looked, the sub frame steel was torn out. I dont think that is a wear item. I had my car aligned in early november due to my front tires starting to shred on the inside. I replaced the tire and the independent service department didn't say anything about the rust. The funny thing is I had just moved in the last few months and the recall letter had my new address. I'm wondering if this problem flagged in the computer when I got my alignment, so Hyundai rushed out the recall letter to me. Heck I dont have the money right now even for the tow to the dealer let alone the incidental repairs that probably are not covered by the recall but caused by the failure. I have no credit cards and the recession hit me directly. My "new" car only lasted 9 years and a 105,000 miles. So much for the top of the line 2000 Hyundai Sonata.
  • We are talking about different things. The motor mount and subframe are distinctly different things and, no the subframe isn't a wear item in the general sense of the word. So, that the car "only" lasted 9 years and over 100K miles is something that you are discouraged about? Without knowledge of where you live (rustbelt?) and how well you kept the car clean in the winter since preventative maintainence is important (by that I mean washing the salt off weekly at least) I consider that average especially since this problem is a known one. Anyhow incidental repairs are inevitable if nobody noticed the all the damage underneath and tried to align the car and installed new tires. Shame on that independant service dept.since the abnormal tire wear should have been a big tip off to them something wasn't right...big time.
  • When I went to the dealer for the Subframe change (Recall), they told me that there can be other parts that may not come under subframe change that I have to pay. even I agreed that. But they didn't change that part time. After I got from the subframe change , we found this issue. Now they are saying that Rear Motor Mount ( Roll bracket assembly) broken, that has to be changed. The labour cost is more expensive ( $300) than part. Part is between 150 to 180. If they would have changed the part that time, I would have been more than happy to pay the part cost. I kept the car with dealer for about 3 weeks. For my commute,I took my own rental cars to commute. Now again I have to leave the car and take the rental car etc. This is kind of double work and additional money.
  • While washing my new 2010 Sonata this week, I noticed rust spots on the hood and trunk. Anyone else noticing rust on their 2010?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    You should take it to the dealer immediately, to get it corrected while the car is still under the one-year "adjustments" warranty. It could be due to "rail dust", which can cause small rust-like spots.
  • Man, that's terrible. Hyundai has an anti perforation warranty. Your car is still covered. Definitely take it to the dealer.
  • Are you working for Hyundai? Hyundai is still Junk!!! I wouldn't be discouraged about a Hyundai lasting only 9 years if it was priced at 7,000 dollars and it was the early 90's. We're talking about the "re-invented" Hyundai of the new decade costing over 20,000 dollars. I would get over 10 years buying a 7 year old Honda at 10,000 dollars. Come on!!! BTW, the car had been garage kept for over 6 of those nine years. No BS!!! :sick:
  • ftcftc Posts: 1
    Yes I noticed the same thing after washing the car. A couple of stone chips which are normal but there is also a small lump with a crack that has a rust stain at the bottom. I'm not impressed This is a 2010 Sonata I've only had it for 6 months and 7500 KM.
  • spohiospohio Posts: 13
    I just had my 2002 sonata serviced to replace the rusting front subframe. i am just wondering if an alignment should have been done as part of that recall? I have noticed that my steering wheel shakes a bit now while driving. i also saw in one of the posts on here that someone felt their alignment could have been done better. Would the process of replacing the subframe cause the vehicle to get out of alignment?
  • midas69midas69 Posts: 118
    I can't answer whether you should or shouldn't have had an alignment done. But I wanted to make sure you understood that an alignment will not fix a steering wheel shake. The most common causes are wheel balance, bent rim or broken belt in the tire. It's also possible to have worn front end parts cause this but those other 3 are the most likely cause.
  • son_atason_ata Posts: 2
    YOU MUST NEED ALLIGNMENT. Of course you need allignment. when they remove the sub frame, they also "remove" whatever holds the wheel in its place. You must need allignment but the question here is who will pay? Hyundai or You?

I went to Bank Street Hyundai Dealer in Ottawa, Ontario (it is the worst dealer in Ottawa) for that subframe recall. They charged me 90 CAD for front wheel allignment. I said, they should cover it, because I didnt need any allignment, but because of the recall they remove the subframe and becasue of that I need the allignment. Anyway, I talked with the service manager and he said they cover only the recalled part, not the other adjustments made due to the recall. I later send an e-mail to Hyundai-Canada and they aslo said they won't cover the wheel allignment.

It is stupid. Becasue of their fault I took my car with perfectly balanced wheels to the dealer and they charged me to re-balance them. :mad:
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Did they charge you for balancing tires or the alignment?
  • son_atason_ata Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Alignment...
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    As part of the recall repair procedure, the alignment should have been performed free of charge.
  • mmc3mmc3 Posts: 1
    Please let me know if there are any other recalls. I had my sub-frame replaced. However, I am continuously paying for rust damage on other parts of the car. Visually too it looks horrible. The rust to the exterior is insulting, especially since I still have a year to go to pay the car off. If anyone has any advice, please post. I work on a huge, huge military base and I hate to be driving around displaying this terrible spectacle of a RUST-BUCKET.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    The constructive part of this post is this: There has been a rust through warranty on most cars for many years and probably if you were to read the warranty statement it would state the terms of repair of rust through assuming your car still is covered.
    Now for the non constructive part: I presume you live somewhere in the so-called "rust belt" which aptly describes the vehicles routinely operated in the corrosives employed by the DOT to melt ice and snow. I do not know your personal mind set to maintenance and car washing but if one does not clean both the exterior body and underside of their car weekly, if not more frequently, during at least the winter, one forfeits the right to complain when rust consumes it. Look around and if you see rusty Hondas (particularly prone to rust), Nissans, Subarus (also prone), Fords, Chevrolets etc then friend you live in Buffalo NY or Erie Pa or another such winter hell-hole and most 9 year old cars are either gone...or going...going... gone due to rust. I guess what I am trying to say is "you reap what you sow" and if car washing isn't a big part of your winter routine then sorry charlie, what do you expect? On the other hand if you actually do wash it on a regular basis 9+ years is still pushing it if the state you live in is particularly snow bound and one other thing...the liquid "pre-treatment" that Pa. (for one) uses is multiple times as corrosive as salt is and will destroy a rocker panel or fender in one winter if not promptly washed off. My personal crusade is a 1995 Stratus and I cannot tell you how many quarters I have plugged into carwashes over the last 8 years I have owned it but I think rust (in the normal areas these rust) will be the end of it. I am "anal" as my wife is fond of telling when it comes to keeping our cars clean but eventually "you loose" to rust if in the "rust-belt".
  • Well the Toyota Camry/Corolla owners around here must be very good winter washers because I don't seem them rusting at that age. My 8 year old Elantra has perforated rust around the rear wheel wells. The warrantee for rust was 5 years. They have upped the warrantee now
    for the 2011 Elantra to 7 years so they must feed more confident now.
  • Pardon me for jumping in completely off subject... I read one of your posts from June 2010 about your Honda Civic Hybrid's transmission making noise when in drive and reverse. Did you ever get it fixed? I had the same problem and pulled the transmission myself... just a bad bearing. Cost me about $150 to replace it. http://hchdoctorstransmissionpage.yolasite.com Detailed pics and description
  • ml67ml67 Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue where the front subframe rusted to the point where I have to replace it and the car is not safe to drive. I'm gonna call Hyndai help desk and see if they can take care of it. it's Hyndai Sonata 2001 113,000 miles. Does any body know if you have to be the original owner to get coverage. I'm not the original owner I just bouhgt it used few months ago.
  • No this recall is not restricted to the original owner. You need to take it to a dealer and the will fix it. Have them call the regional representative if the have any questions.
2»