Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Buying Decision!

2»

Comments

• zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    1. Not all models have the turbo engine. I have a 2008 GT AWD turbo. I love it. I had silly problems but nothing that I would say or make me not want to be a mazda owner. I am not sure how many miles you put a year but I drive at least 18K per year. If gas conservation is an issue, DO NOT BUY this CAR, get the honda CRV better mileage, smaller front seats but ample rear seating space.

2. Previously, I drove a honda CRV Lx AWD. Great reliability, better quality inside in the cabin but boring as hell to drive. As for value, at the end of the day EVERY car will lose value the moment you drive it out of the dealership. As for how every often you change your cars???
    Personally, after 100K miles, i start looking for a new car as I drive between NYC, NJ and PA so I am in the highway and reliability is a huge issue for me.

3. I bought my car in Dec 2007, all i do is change oil every 3 to 4K miles, got a new set of tires at 33K, I have done a wheel alignment at 53K miles and changed light bulbs and wipers. SO maintenance has been low. In comparison to my CRV, my mazda is more comfortable at the front, rear seat is ok. I have a baby seat in back plus luggage and that is enough space for me.

If I could, I would like to look forward to trading up for the CX9, as there are many more standard features for that model than my CX7 but again overall experience is that I really love my car. AWESOME handling in snow and rain with the AWD system. CX is not bad but there is just no power once the car has 4 people and groceries. Honda engine is wimp.......leaves you wondering where is the horse power...
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..leaves you wondering where is the horse power..."

As a safety measure many modern day FWD only vehicles have the engine automatically "derated" at lower speeds and/or in lower gear ratios. You may note that many of these same models, in F/awd "dress", have better 0-60 times since this derating is not really required.
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Posts: 50
    edited September 2011
    In August I purchased a Brilliant Black CX-7. I had considered a Honda CRV and the Subaru Outback and Forester. My impressions were that the CX-7 simply gave me more vehicle and fun. My CX-7 listed out for $34,400 and I purchased it for $31,550. The CX-7 is a blast to drive, I do not have 500 miles on it yet, but those miles were enjoyable. The delivery of my CX-7 left me with some negative feelings. The CX-7 was not gone over and the Mazda preparation sheet was not checked off for the exterior. The roof had paint discoloration and the right rear quarter panel a finger nail size ding. The northeast Philadelphia dealer went over the roof and used a paint stick on the ding. I very seldom give up on anything, but immediately realized I was not getting satisfaction from the dealer on the ding and paint problems. I had to have the roof gone over 3 times by the dealer then just decided enough. I had my brand new CX-7 detailed and wow. The ding is still there but the brilliant black is now blinding, simply georgeus.

Some things I think Mazda could have done better, the navigation system back up camera screen is a joke. It would be nice to have iPod integration. My wife would appreciate better interior lighting, especially when trying to load in the kids.

In summation I really do like my CX-7, the features for the price are remarkable. The styling is alive and enlightening. I have a top notch mechanic and detail facility so I only worry about the dealer for warranty work. The Bose sound system is ok and I think I did well.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    A reporter is hoping to interview a car shopper in S. California who is using the Internet to do automotive research. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, September 19, 2011 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• alaskacx7alaskacx7 Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    A couple of years ago I spied my first CX7 and fell in love but had a nearly new GMC at the time. I grew increasingly fond of MY PAYCHECK and decided that the oil companies were going to get less of it so I finally bought a 2011 CX7 iSport Front Wheel Drive in Copper Red Mica, only paid $20,900 + $700 for a 4-Yr Ext Warranty, 0% financing and got the dealer to go halves on all of the added options that I wanted. Been getting anywhere from 26 to 30 mpg (@ 1500 miles now) I opted for this model so that I would get the better mileage. I was paying $100 miles roundtrip to go to my cabin and now about $40! I don't feel the legroom is an issue but then I am always in the driver's seat ;) ! I have actually ridden in the back seat and it is not bad at all. So far I love this car and how it handles, it is a very comfortable ride, the controls are easy to reach & read and I love the iPod integration system, the only complaint I have is the road noise (it's not terrible just louder than I am used to) but then I came from a 3.5 ton GMC Envoy XUV hog that the dealer gave me high book on as trade in. I am going to check into seeing if there is a noise coating you can have applied to the under body. If you are in Anchorage and thinking of buying shoot me an email so that I can give you the specs on buying from Continental Motors because they pay your monthly payment for each buyer you turn on to them but you have to mention my name! :blush:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    edited September 2011
    My Outback was a Continental car, but I got it second hand.

(No birddogging for referral fees please.)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stantonb1stantonb1 Posts: 50
    edited September 2011
    On September 1st I composed a letter to Mazda Customer Assistance Center and sent it with a copy of the New Car Get Ready Inspection form for my 2011 CX-7 S Grand Touring AWD. The letter had comments pertaining to the delivery of my CX-7. The Exterior Inspection area of the form was not completed and signed off on. There were problems with my CX-7 regarding the exterior. The CX-7 was delivered with a ding in the right rear quarter panel and the right rear roof was a mess. The letter was sent to the address provided by Mazda. It was sent via the USPS. Upon not receiving a reply I sent a FAX to Mazda Customer Assistance Center on September 11th to the number provided by Mazda. No response from the FAX either. Phoned Mazda at number provided in owners manual for Customer Assistance and received the attitude what do I want Mazda to do? When I phoned again I provided details and said all I would like from Mazda is acknowledgement of the situation.

Next step is to have information sent to Mazda Customer Assistance with receipt of delivery.

I can not say anything positive pertaining to Mazda Customer Assistance.
2»