Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Timing Belt

2»

Comments

• Go to http://www.hmaservice.com. You can create an account and then have access to the info you are looking for.
  • I have tried to register for that site www.hmaservice.com, but it either wont load or I can't confirm the account set up. I have tried Firefox, IE 64bit and 32bit, with no success.

I was able to find a detailed description on removing the timing after more searching.

As for the power steering leak. I need to replace all the metal lines as the lower pressure line is cracked and the high pressure line is scraped up quite a bit. But I found out we can bend new lines using steel brake line. Some of the rubber hose needs to be replaced also.
  • My engine died doing 55 last night. No noise. When I tried starter, it sounded like solenoid would spin. Hoping is fuel pump or engine fuse. But does it usually make a racket before it breaks?
  • You just broke a belt, just hope you didn't bend any valves. Don't try to start, as this may bend valves.
  • grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140
    Does the 2013 St Fe 4 cylinder have a timing belt that needs changing?
    Thanks
  • Thanks Dick, I did not hear any bad sounds when it died so am hoping fuel filter or something along sensors. But the scary part is way the starter did not kick in and if bad starter, would not kill engine. Course wont know till Tuesday. Thanks again.
  • I have a 2004 Santa Fe changed the timing belt at 60k that did not keep the engine from failing the other day at 109k . Timing belt , pulley etc all failed mechanic said never seen anything like that before . It ruined the engine oh well was 6 weeks from trading for new vehicle , just moved my time frame up a bit . Loved that car but will never get another one unless Hyundai re- engineers that engine timing belt issue .
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Loved that car but will never get another one unless Hyundai re- engineers that engine timing belt issue .

New Hyundai's don't require timing belt changes any more, if I recall correctly. They all now use a timing chain.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited November 2012
    moving backwards on the timing chain vs. timing belt deal. My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has a timing chain, too, and I notice this is becoming a semi-universal standard now. Tell me VW also uses timing chains...eh?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I just had my timing belt changed by the dealer. I'm now getting a hi pitch whine when I accelerate which wasn't there before. Also, my engine cover is ow made do plastic, and I could swear that it was originally metal? Am I crazy?
  • ladydemonsialadydemonsia Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    The engine cover is plastic, or at least it is on mine (2004 2.7L). The whine could be a number of things, but I'd definitely take it back if they just worked on it. Did you have anything else replaced at the same time? There is a couple of pulleys and the water pump that could/should be replaced with the timing belt. The power steering belt is also removed.
2»