Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Undercarriage Rust

Comments

• celliotcelliot Posts: 1
    I had my rear bumper rust right through on my 2011 Silverado. It had spots all over within the first two months of ownership. I guess you get what you pay for. While I never did fall in love with the looks of the thing it was the cheapest truck on the market at the time. But after a few months in I began to see why. The interior had squeaks all over. The seats were very poor quality and collected lint. I had little dents all over the body which I still have no idea where they came from. I don't even use the truck to haul things, only to tow a small trailer. There is also wind noise in the cabin coming from the front I've yet to identify where. GM did replace the rear bumper after fighting with them about it. However, the dealers body shop told me this is common. The guy even told me they go out and wipe off rust spots from the bumpers while they're still on the lot for sale. They also mentioned that the clearcoat on my wheels will most likely go bad and flake off because it's been an ongoing issue for several years as they're made in China of all places. I was disgusted when they told me that. I guess I'll have to fight GM on the rims too if they flake away. Something is seriously wrong with the metal this company has been using for several years. With all of the talk about rust, I can see why my sons Grand Am rotted away so fast. It was most likely made from the same source. I went through that GM page and sure enough, it's just yet another common issue. I'm so sick and tired of GM. This is my last GM purchase I can tell you that. We gave that company billions and after 2 years I still can't buy a quality truck from them. What a nightmare.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/124161-rusty-front-bumper-after-only-3-mon- ths/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/130892-rust/
  • Government Motors!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear what happened with your Silverado. If you'd like, I can look up any applicable warranties or service bulletins on this issue. I'd just need you to provide the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • casillacasilla Posts: 20
    My wheels are bad as well! The bumpers too! You are right the price seemed right, but I had Dodge trucks before this, and never a rust problem in the first year! 3 years down the road and it is looking like a pile! I get offered crap for a trade in because no one wants it! I would like my money back!I can go on and on about the issues besides the rust! Toyota took care of their customers with rust issues, GM should step up to the plate since we the taxpayer bailed them out!
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Posts: 74
    Thanks for your insight.
    Through my own efforts, I moved on.
  • tomdubyatomdubya Posts: 1
    Wow I was looking at possibly buying a 2008 Sierra next month now I may be re thinking that. Is there a way to know if certain trucks are effected by this corrosion by maybe the vin#. I currently own an F250 but I used to have a 95 Sierra and liked it. Maybe I should just stick with ford, I do respect the fact they didn't need a bail out.
  • ontguyontguy Posts: 1
    My 2012 Silverado is exhibiting excessive rust on the frame and is at the dealer today where they are scraping of loose wax coating and reapplying. I discovered this problem recently and brought it to the attention of my service department. After reading these posts I know that I'm screwed and the problem will persist. This must be a metal issue because even an uncoated frame shouldn't be as rusty as this at 20,000 miles. GM has apparently known about this problem for more than a decade as is made clear by the posts about vehicles from as far back as 1999. Nothing was done to stop this problem or I wouldn't be at the dealership today. It was while I am waiting that I discovered this forum and am now very concerned. My previous truck was a 1993 Silverado that I bought used at ten years old with 110,000 miles on it and the frame and undercarriage were mint. That truck was so good for the nine years I had it that I went out and bought a new one. Live and learn I guess. The bright side is that I'm not paying for the reapplication. The dark side is that new wax coating isn't going to solve my problem as all of you already know.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    ontguy,

I can understand how frustrating it can be to have this happening to your vehicle. Since your vehicle is new, you should still be well within the corrosion warranty. If this reoccurs please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • pattipie3pattipie3 Posts: 25
    I am so sorry you are having this problem,especially with a new truck..... but please please put in a compliant with the NHTS. The more people complain, the more attention this issue will get.
  • casillacasilla Posts: 20
    This is a bold faced lie! I just traded my 2010 Sierra yesterday for a Ram. You will do nothing to rectify the problem, as I was told, "all rust is environmental and warranty does not cover corrosion due to the environment" What a dumb statement! It is how you chose to make your product that helps with the issue of oxidation, which is a natural process in which metals degrade. A cheap money saving black colored wax that comes off when you put the truck on a lift, like General Motors coats the undercarriage with, is not sufficient enough to prevent rust for any period of time longer than your first oil change. I have worked in the paint coatings industry for 25 years, and it is a fact that a properly prepared piece of structural steel that is coated with an adequate finish will stop the oxidation process.
  • jh6959jh6959 Posts: 1
    I have a 07 2500hd diesel rust bucket with 58,000 miles I will never buy another gm getting rid of all 3
  • 03silverad03silverad Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I lost the brakes on my 03 Silverado and just made it around another car in front of me without hitting them. I looked under the truck and the brake line that was visible had rust on it,I got the truck home slid under it and all the lines were shot, I pulled on one and it fell apart! into 3 pieces. I replaced ALL the brake lines with the new copper nickel brake line. after I was done I looked at every other type of line under the truck. I found several with rust but the power steering line is just about rotten so that is next to be replaced. I cleaned all the other lines as much as I could with wire brush and emery paper. and then painted the lines with 2 coats of rust bullet. It is quite disgusting that the shortcut on the quality of the steel that GM used should be suspect especially on the brake lines the metallurgy really should be checked. I have a 03 Toyota Camry and the brake lines are perfect and the is no rust anywhere Hmm I guess Toyota uses better steel in there brake lines. My rockers are just starting to show rust from the inside out so it is to late for those they will have to be fixed. Shame on GM for putting profits before safety.
  • Please file a formal complaint with the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    The only way this will get attention is if enough people complain. Also if only the lines are what is rusted out you are lucky... many people ( myself included) have severe frame rusting. Shame on GM !!!!!!
  • I experienced complete brake failure on my 2000 silverado 1500. No warning, catastrophic failure. Had this happened 5 minutes later it would be going down a two mile winding hill. Death or injury guaranteed. Lines were corroded and failed driver side where they were bundled together. Replaced front lines, a month later rear line failed going into caliper.

Sent registered letters to Pres. of GM, Consumer Reports, Public Citizen, NHTSA telling them of problem. GM responded but denied liability, also saying if problem was admitted it would cause a panic. NHTSA recorded my complaint. Consumer Reports and Public Citizen no response.

All I want is that people owning these trucks be warned of the eminent brake failure that awaits them. No one will do this. The problem is poor engineering design or bad metal used for the lines.
  • I have a 2003 chevy Silverado extended cab and the rocker panels, tailgate and frame are all rusted out. I was just starting to replace parts and came across this blog. not very happy with the news. Not sure now if i should keep putting money into the truck or just sell it. I am going to check out the brake lines tomorrow.
    very very unhappy with GM. I may go back to Ford.

DougN62
  • I want to start a class action law suit but don't know how to go about it , my 2010 chevy truck undercarriage looks like a 20 year old truck , any ideas ?
  • it wont get any better , they redid mine and it just washes off . I have a 2010 and is rusting so bad . I want to start a class action law suit , not sure how to go about it ./ any ideas ?
  • Dino,

The best way to proceed is with a small claims suit. Email me at kmarrin@cfl.rr.com to discuss.

Ken
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    If you live near the Canadian border I suggest you stop at a place called "Rust Check" or "Krown Rust." They can apply an oil-based product that penetrates all the seams on the vehicle which slows down the rusting process. It's an annual treatment that costs about $150 (Canadian). When I had lived in Ontario, Canada, I had it done each year and my vehicles had little to no rust, even vehicles 10 to 15 years old. Good luck.