Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Undercarriage Rust

Comments

• kendonhankkendonhank Posts: 61
    Where do you live?

BTW, GM would not cover this problem under the warranty under any conditions.

Your truck could be a year old with a thousand miles on stored in a climate controlled facility.
  • I live in massachusetts, i know salt snow etc. I washed this thing religiously! I sold a 1986 3/4 ton chevy that I plowed with (shop truck) and that sucker was solid as a rock! Mine has 110,000 miles on it! I just purchased a 2003 dodge ram 2500 quad cab. Its 4 years newer than my rotten suburban but you can eat off the frame its so clean, and its a new england truck also.
  • casillacasilla Posts: 20
    If it is up to the dealer to call GM to report these problems that customers come to them with, nothing will ever happen! Warranty parts that are used at the dealer and covered by GM are reimbursed to the dealer at factory prices, however if you are put off by the dealer over and over and your warranty runs out, or you have to cave in and buy a part because you need your vehicle, the dealer can mark the same part up by 45-120% and charge you more for labor. My point here is, the dealer is out to make money so why should they report stuff like this to GM? They have a cash cow here Christina! My dealer is Knight Automotive in Plattsburgh NY and I live in zip code 12989, I am sure if you cared, you could figure out who I am!!!
  • kendonhankkendonhank Posts: 61
    GM does not cover any parts due to corrosion under the warranty.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    casilla,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you set up a case with Customer Service? If so, can you please send your case number so I can look into it? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I solved all of my issues with my GMC today, I traded it in for a 2011 Dodge Ram. I took a little hit in the payment department, but not too bad with 1.9% financing.
    I cancelled my contract on the Dodge after the dealer played bait and switch, so I am stuck with my GMC, as I learned the trade in value is about 1/2 the sticker price after 15 months! And today I learned what the transmission whine was, Torque converter! there is a tsb out for 2009-2010 built prior to april 19 2010.
  • susandpcsusandpc Posts: 1
    I just feel so sick about this: Our 1997 GMC Sierra with 85,000 miles will not pass inspection. Garage was afraid to put it on the lift because it was so badly rusted. I've very disappointed and it should not happen to a vehicle with this few a miles. Heck we see 20 year old vehicles that don't have this much rust. Vechicle is unsafe to drive. We don't have 30k, 20k or even 10k to spend on another vehicle. Will GM help us in anyway?
    I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.
  • I have posted a few times and have gotten responses from a "GM" customer service representative. And of course I have gotten no where! So I just posted a complaint to the NHTSA myself. I would recommend anyone having trouble with rot on these trucks to post a complaint! If we all complain together maybe it will be loud enough for GM to hear! http://www.nhtsa.gov/ this is the link to there page. File a complaint online, its easy and only took me about 5 minutes.
  • I have posted my complaint with GM, NHTSA, and every forum I can to warn others of these problems. I had my entire brake system replaced twice until I used conifer tubing to protect myself (Chevy denies problem). I also complained about my 2002 Silverado that has 45k miles and LOOKS in excellent shape. My entire frame is roting away. GM will do nothing about it (do not get any hopes up if hearing from rep on this forum). They know of the issue and WILL NOT fix it. They do not care about thier customers lives, only the next dollar they can make. PLEASE stay away from GM until they step up and fix this issue. I will keep warning people on every possible media I can find as long as they ignore my families safety. Step up GM. We cannot be ignored.

PS this is a notice from a lifelong Chevy guy until they put my family at risk.
    PSS I have pictures of the rot and problems if anyone wants to see what to expect.
  • Unfortunately, GM will do nothing for you. Even if you were within the bumper to bumper warranty, they would tell you that they do not cover ANY corrosion to any part of the vehicle caused by the environment, which as we all know, is the cause of ALL corrosion. GM simply doesn't cover corrosion, and I have been to the highest levels of the company, and in the courtroom with their experts.

That is why Government Motors went out of business once, and will go out of business again.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You are complaining about rust on a 10 year old truck?

When did the rust start? 2003? 2010?
  • The rust on the undercarriage of my brand new Silverado started in about a month, and the truck was a rust bucket in two years. If you read the posts on this thread, you will see a common theme. The rust starts early, is very aggressive, and attacks only the undercarriage. I have had non-GM vehicles used under the same conditions in the same area with zero rust after ten years.
  • My rust started the same. About a month after purchase. I had my rotors and calipers replaced at <36 months due to Rotting not wear. My first brake line blowout was at 4yrs. This is not a 'oh that's an old truck' thing. I have a 79 Bronco that is used in same area and has very little rust on the frame and has the original brake hard lines in it. I'm just trying to warn people of what they are buying. Ask a local mechanic about vehicles before you buy one. I dont know about you but I don't think a $30k truck even at 8 yrs shouldn't be a total loss due to frame rust through.
  • GM will always blame the environment for the corrosion, but it is bogus, because surrounding the GM rust bucket will always be older vehicles in pristine condition that have been stored, used and cared for in exactly the same way.

Government Motors!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I'm confused. In reading back you're in litigation with GM? On a 2005 Silverado that started under carriage rust within the first year of ownership? What's missing here?
  • I&#146;m new to this forum. Sorry for the long post: I started researching a rust problem on my truck, and it didn&#146;t take long for find this discussion. My truck is a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 2500 HD, and has only 33K miles. I bought it brand new. With low mileage, I&#146;m expecting it to last my lifetime. Most of the driving lately has been Wisconsin winter driving &#150; when my Honda can&#146;t make it on fresh snow. Lately, I&#146;m venturing into summer driving with a truck camper. I started getting tired of the rust spots on the driveway. I should have applied undercoating when I bought the truck, but couldn&#146;t afford it nor had time for it as I was building a house. Now it&#146;s time for the truck fix. Again, I can&#146;t afford it, so I&#146;m doing it myself. I have the truck bed removed (I have a cherry picker), the bumper, trailer hitch, and gas tank dropped, so I have good access. I&#146;m shocked at what I&#146;m seeing. The metal frame is still good. I&#146;m using an electric wire brush and grinder to remove the rust, but the time consuming part is I&#146;m having to remove factory under coating from the frame with mineral spirits and a rag. Guess what? They did not paint the frame. Let me repeat that: they did not paint the frame. Water and salt is burrowing through the undercoating and attacking the naked metal. Then, it&#146;s burrowing sideways, and the undercoating is coming off in sheets &#150; as well as chunks of rust. My goal for this year is to restore the back half of the truck &#150; frame, suspension, even the underside of the truck bed &#150; anything that looks rusty. Next year, I&#146;ll do the front. Once the metal is cleaned, I&#146;ll put multiple coats of rustoleum primer, then multiple coats of rustoleum enamel, then undercoating again. The frame is well rusted, the brake calipers are well rusted. The differential and axel is well rusted. Last year, I replaced the brake rotors all around because they rusted out &#150; before the original brakes were worn. The shocks are unrecognizable, but still manage to work. I&#146;ll be replacing them. The brake lines had a level of corrosion I was able to knock off, and will be putting a sealer on. I&#146;ll be keeping an eye on those &#150; I&#146;m sure I&#146;ll have to replace them one day. Heck, maybe they&#146;ll make it to 40K miles. There is a galvanized side plate on the center side of the plastic gas tank &#150; probably to protect the gas tank from things flying off the drive shaft. Hard to tell from the rust. I&#146;ll knock that clean and spray rustoleum galvanizing spray on it. The bottom line is, they skipped the painting part and went for an undercoating instead. As I walk through parking lots, and look under trucks, I see well protected painted and undercoated undersides. They&#146;re not GM or Chevys. I see aged Dodge Rams that are painted, without undercoating, and they still look reasonable. That&#146;s because they were painted. I look under CM and Chevys and all I see is rust. Now, I know Chevy doesn&#146;t warranty the elements. My question is when did they start, and how long did it go on, when they decided not to paint the frame and underside? I&#146;m not an expert, but I&#146;ve been around the garage a time or two. Seems like painting the metal would be job one. I&#146;ll bet they are painting their frames now, before applying undercoating. Next time I buy a truck, assuming I can&#146;t keep this bucket rolling, I&#146;m going to scratch the undercoating from the frame to see if I find any paint. Am I wrong about this?
  • GM has testified in court that the wax undercoating is designed to last only one year and is for cosmetic protection only. Basically, they rely on the bulk of the metal to keep the frame intact for the life of the vehicle. Not all GM trucks are rusting like yours and mine. It is definitely a subset, and I can't explain the reason. My guess is there is some kind of electrical circuit (anode/cathode) that inadvertently forms in some of the vehicles that accelerates the corrosion process in certain vehicles.
  • hball01hball01 Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    I guess I should have googled more before ranting. This topic seems to be covered. However, I'm confused by GM's statement that the wax is used to stop rust. In my restoration, I'm taking off 1/16 inch thick chunks of the frame. Here is my rear crossbar, representing an area that is unreachable and not repairable without garage assistance - quite an assumption for the average customer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68076540@N08/6189140685/in/photostream/lightbox/

Other views:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68076540@N08/6189661400/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68076540@N08/6189660480/in/photostream

I'm guessing they just made a business decision and traded a savings of $100 in paint for hundreds of hours of labor and hundreds of $$$ in parts for the customer. All we can do is keep this in mind on future purchases.
  • lh1010lh1010 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where we can find a new frame for a 1990 Chevy Silverado stepside, short box?