Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Undercarriage Rust

Comments

• katzoo, what has been the outcome if any with GM? We have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the EXACT same issues...2 sets of brakes and rotors rust out, the entire underside is heavily rusted, exhaust has rusted off and the truck only has 32000 miles. We are now even seeing rust inside the cab.
  • Katzoo,

I have been to court on this and can give you a lot of good info. Where are you in the process.

Kendonhank
  • Jean,

I have been to court on this and can give you some good info. Where are you in the process.

Kendonhank
  • Christina, This problem affects all of the GM trucks ont he road, its not just a select few. My truck (2000 silverado 2500 extended cab) is in great shape no rust at all, but the brake and fuel lines are rusted to hell. Dont start me with the piston slap. I am threw dealing directly with Gm, when my tailgate cables broke and crushed the tailgate, you issued a recall 1 week after the occurence and GM did nothing but replace the cables. If it wanot for the government bail out gm would be gone. Its time to do something. Just google rust and chevy truck and youll get enough hits to enter into a recall. I was a die hard chevy guy (still have an 87 aerocoupe with 4300k) but i will not be much longer. When its time for a new truck 3 brands come to mind, ford, toyota and dodge. Sadly Gm is no longer part of my automotive vocabulary.
  • rustguyrustguy Posts: 1
    Sounds like a Siver-Rot-O to me..we do them all the time AUTORUST.com
  • I have purchased a 2008 gmc with 10,000 miles on it I wash It every weekend and it parks inside the last few times I have washed it I notice little rust spots on the doors in random spots there more and more after I wash it. I called GM which the truck is still under warranty and they said they may not beable to do anything about it. Me and my dad have been GM fans all are lifes after he had seen what my truck was doing stop he stop buying GM products. I have on the truck for 3 months today I just want to find a way to get GM to fix this problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    kellerbuilt,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. Can you please email me directly at SocialMedia@GM.com with your VIN, dealer of choice and contact information? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 330
    As the owner of a 2006 Silverado and a follower of the Toyota truck rust issues I would like to make the following observations:

My 2006 Truck has minimal to no rust on its frame. My neighbor has the same on his 2003 Silverado and 2005 Colorado. I live on Long Island where salt is used extensively during winter storms. (although this past winter is an exceptiondue to the mild temperatures).

I did a search on www.arfc.org which is the site where vehicle complaints are compiled to the NHTSA. I searched "Frame Rust". In the first 10 pages of search results I found the breakdown of complaints by manufacturer:

GM - 2
    Isuzu - 5
    Honda - 9
    Kia - 1
    Subaru - 1
    Ford - 9
    Nissan - 10
    Toyota - 63

Fully over 60% of the complaints were for Toyota products. Over 3 million Tacomas and Tundras were sold in the last 12 Years. Toyota has been dealing with this problem by buying back and destroying / or re-framing these trucks to the tune of approx $13,000 per vehicle.
    3 million times $13,000 equals $39 billion. Current Toyota yearly profit is approx $5 billion, so that their liability for these defective frames is equal to about 8 years of profit. I predict their policy of taking responsibility for these rusty trucks will end within a year or two. If I owned their stock I would sell it soon.
  • mpruitt05mpruitt05 Posts: 1
    I guess this is a trending topic on many Chevy trucks. I bought my truck about 5 years ago and could see just a small amount of rust under the rocker panels. Now, I've got a large hole in the passenger side rocker panel and rust is starting to run up the side of the cab on the drivers side. The hinges on the tailgate rusted off and I've replaced them (about $100 from the dealership for parts). I have given up trying to remove my trailer hitch. It has rusted to the receiver itself. Other people I know have had the same problems with their Silverado's around the same year model. I checked with a few body shops around and the cost to replace the rocker panels, spray the under carriage rust and fix what has started on the body would cost about half the value of the truck now.
  • The break lines burst a on my 1995 Chevy silverado Z71 couple years ago and had them replaced. I was amazed at how rusted the frame was and am wonder if the frame will break. I call them rust barnacles, I find large pieces of rust on garage floor. I was not aware until recently that many others were having the same rust problem. I live in the north and take good care of my vehicles. My other car is a 1996 and has no rust. I have dealt with GM on other issues and realized they just don't care.
  • cmannscmanns Posts: 1
    Please help. I bought an 08 GMC Sierra a year ago from a chevy dealership. It is now turning into a rust bucket. I have no idea what to do. I did purchase an extended bumper to bumper warranty. Any info appreciated. I have worked very hard to get to the point where I could buy a truck that I could be proud of and I take very good care of it. But I am afraid Im swabbing the deck on a sinking ship. Any and all info appreciated
  • Good evening cmanns,
    The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We can also get you more information on your corrosion warranty, if you like. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN at socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • The GM warranty does not cover corrosion. They say that they do, but then they qualify it by saying they do not cover corrosion caused by the environment, which of course, is ALL corrosion.
  • Where did you buy the truck? How many miles? GM will likely tell you that they do not cover corrosion. That is their standard position, regardless of how old the vehicle is, how many miles, where it is operated, and how it is maintained.
  • craigmannscraigmanns Posts: 6
    edited August 2012
    The truck is an 08 GMC Sierra ext Cab. It has 39681 miles. I was it once a week including undercarriage. I live in Cape Coral Fl. It is SW Florida, but the saltwater is 10 miles away. I purchased from Roger Dean Chevrolet.
  • Email me with your phone number or email address and I will explain the GM warranty as they presented it in court and what your options are.
  • If you have one of the bad ones it's a losing battle. Don't listen to anyone telling you it's an area or salt on the road crap. I was speaking to someone recently about this issue and snapped a few pics of a NEW one on the sales floor that already has this starting and had less than 20 miles on it.. Not all of them have this problem so it must be a manufacturing issue. http://photobucket.com/chevyrust

Good Luck and try to keep rust off.
  • Kendonhank....My email is craigmanns@hotmail.com.

I appreciate it.
    CM
  • Craig,
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do. I have documented your concerns for you. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 8/20/2012 05:35:10 PM
    To: "socialmedia@gm.com"
    Subject: RE: Good evening cmanns, The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We ca...

Christina,
    I spoke to the Service Manager Gary Herrmann 2395743326. He said its normal surface rust and there isn't anything they can do. I've attached some photos. I have put 7000 miles on this vehicle in the last year that I have owned it.

> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:03:05 -0400
    > From: socialmedia@gm.com
    > Subject: RE: RE: Good evening cmanns, The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We ca...
    > To: craigmanns@hotmail.com
    >
    > Craig,
    > Thank you for the update. Please let me know how things go at the dealer. I look forward to your update.
    > Christina
    > GM Customer Service
    >
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    >
    > From: craigmanns@hotmail.com
    > Sent: 8/20/2012 01:28:31 PM
    > To: "socialmedia@gm.com"
    > Subject: RE: Good evening cmanns, The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We can al...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks Christina,
    >
    > I will take the truck to Roger Dean Chevrolet. They are in Cape Coral, FL.
    >
    > The truck is an 08 GMC Sierra ext Cab. It has 39681 miles.
    >
    > VR,
    > CM
    >
    > > Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:09:43 -0400
    > > From: socialmedia@gm.com
    > > Subject: RE: Good evening cmanns, The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We can al...
    > > To: craigmanns@hotmail.com
    > >
    > > Craig,
    > > Thank you for taking the time to email me with your concerns. How many miles do you have on your vehicle? Have you had your vehicle diagnosed at a GM dealer? If not, the first thing I will need you to do is take the vehicle to the dealer to have them diagnosis the concern. Please let me know when and where you plan to do that. Please include your complete contact information including mailing address. I look forward to your response.
    > > Christina
    > > GM Customer Service
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > -----Original Message-----
    > >
    > > From: craigmanns@hotmail.com
    > > Sent: 8/17/2012 09:46:08 AM
    > > To:
    > > Subject: Good evening cmanns, The recommended underbody care is to (at least anually) rinse away any chemicals or road salts with plain water. We can also g...
    > >
    > >
    > > Im having corrosion issues with the underside of my truck. VIN 81229913
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Craig Manns
  • As many of you have found....GM is not going to stand behind their product. Ok who is the jack wagon that said maybe GM will help with the issue if you go about it professionally? Not happening. I'm posting pictures on Facebook and Floridasportsman and every social media site I can find.