Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    good catch! The 50s Olympia had more of a gap mouth grill insert and the very early ones had I think different hub caps, so I'm guessing about 1948-49 here. The '47 was produced in such low numbers I don't think anyone ever noticed!

• tamangeltamangel Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    thanks guys..would have never figured this one out..any recommendations on a Euro car book like the American car Spotter?

a little more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Olympia

Mike
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,500
    The chromey style might have came around in 1949, but no earlier - it was prewar style before then. The car remained in production with a basic prewar shape until 1953 or so, when the Germans experienced their first jump towards modern cars.

And about the "Spotters Guide" book for old European cars - no such book that I know of. Most cars did not undergo yearly changes unlike American cars, such a book might not have enough demand. There is this website which is not at all inclusive and is kind of odd, but it spans many years in the pull down menu.
    Very neat site! I bookmarked it. Thanks.

I need to study up on early Opels more. I don't think I yet have all the grill changes straight in my mind.

It's not a great site, but the only thing in a yearly format I have found.

Here's a very good site for cars and trucks, focus is on prewar material

Most German cars aren't hard, everything is prewar until the early 50s with slightly updated details added around 1950. British cars are even better with some prewar style living until about 1960.
    I've got an excellent British car encyclopedia, and a bunch of those little charming Sports Cars books they used to publish in the UK, with color plates. Not a lot of info but sturdy hardback books with plenty of obscure makes in there, including rare race cars.

Do you know this site?

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/

Vaguely but now I will bookmark it, thanks.

Funny I sometimes have a hard time with people faces, but car faces are usually easy for me
  • I need help identifying this auto. The photo is my dad probably in 1942 - 1947 in his Sunday-church best living where he grew up in South Carolina? My brother thinks it was a Ford. I searched many sites, and the only auto that I found that had this distinctive grill: wide at the top and just a bit of sheet metal above was simply labeled: "Ford Saloon 1939." The year makes sense in terms of the year, but when I researched further, I found that the '39 Saloon was a Ford UK automobile, and my dad lived in South Carolina.???? Thanks if anyone can help.image
  • I need help identifying this auto. The photo is my dad probably in 1942 - 1947 in his Sunday-church best living where he grew up in South Carolina? My brother thinks it was a Ford. I searched many sites, and the only auto that I found that had this distinctive grill: wide at the top and just a bit of sheet metal above was simply labeled: "Ford Saloon 1939." The year makes sense in terms of the year, but when I researched further, I found that the '39 Saloon was a Ford UK automobile, and my dad lived in South Carolina.???? Thanks if anyone can help.image
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,510
    edited February 2012
    They must have used similar styling to US Fords, here's a (US) '37 Ford coupe (the '38 and '39 look different):
    edited February 2012
    Definitely a 1937 US market Ford. A similar era British Ford had similar but noticeably different styling.
  • tamangeltamangel Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    looks like the license plate is labeled 1937 also. Some States in earlier days, changed plates every year rather than the current base year and add yearly stickers practice..

here's a link.. edit: for some reason link doesn't pick up..copy link including .jpg and paste in menu bar..should work then..

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_SC_GI3_1930's.jpg

so if true, that pic was taken in 1937..

Mike W
  • Thank you! That's it for sure. LB
  • Does anyone know what vehicle this might belong to? I found it in my garage!!!!"
    Ah, that's a 1957 Invisible 2 door hard top! :)

(no picture in your post--let me know if you need help posting a photo!)

• garv214garv214 Posts: 162
    Did you notice that Claude Rains and Harvey the Rabbit were in the picture as well... :P
    YES I DID! :surprise:

• jhud0377jhud0377 Posts: 5
    I need help in identifying a car in a photo. It is a 1947-1952 wagon. The hood ornament is an eagle, or it appears, there are two circular headlights, a single, not segmented, windshield. I have a good photo, but can't figure out how to post it. If you are good with this era of cars, send me an email and I will send pic that way. I think it is a 1950 Pontiac, but not sure.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,510
    You can google just about any car and click on 'images' to see if your guess is right. For example, here's a photo of a 1950 Pontiac wagon, is this it?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,040
    edited July 2012
    Just post the picture on photobucket to a free account and then link to that image in your post here. Someone on the forum will know the vehicle.