Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

191011121315»

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 6,590
    "So basically, this thing has been a project car for about 45 years now!"

That guy makes building the pyramids sound like a rush job! ;)
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,811
    That guy makes building the pyramids sound like a rush job!

My coworker, who has known this guy a lot longer than I have, said that he's a procrastinator. So, given this 45 year track record, I don't think this '54 Benz will ever get put back together. I think it's pretty wild, that this car has been in parts for longer than I've been alive!

I was impressed, too, that after 6 years of sitting on my property, all four tires on that '52 parts car still held air. I had never bothered to put air in them, and as far as I know, the owner never did either. He would come by every once in awhile to put a box of parts in the car, or take something out, but that was about it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 49,875
    Ah, well, such is the fate of cars that aren't worth the cost of restoration, or that fall into the wrong hands.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 36,458
    Yep, I am pretty sure that's a 220. Like Shifty says, it's a parts car now, restoration would be insane, I'd wager a lot more than restoring a fintail.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 18,765
    I'm three months late here but that Buick is a 1950 for sure.

For some reason, 1951 side trim has been installed. I've seen that done before and I don't know if dealers were doing this or people were trying to give their 1950 and updated look.

Personally, I don't like that look on a 1950.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 574
    It is 1950 side trim which was used on the 50 Buick Riviera Model 72.
    The 1950 Model 75R also had it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 18,765
    I would have argued with you but after spending some time looking, it appears you're correct.

Most 1950 Roadmasters had that single horizontal stainless strip on the side.

Now, I've seen a couple with the '51 trim on the sides but I always figured it was some dealer installed accessory.

I still don't like that look but that's me.

When I belonged to the Buick club, one of our members had the nicest 1950 Super I've ever seen. 25,000 original miles!
  • Any ideas on the identity of this car in attached photos? I thought 1939'ish Chevy, though unsure of model. Thanks!

car_front.png 416.1K
    car_side.png 255.7K

I'd say 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe JA 4 door sedan but really I"m not sure. The model designations for these cars is very confusing. That's a pretty rare car BTW.

• pl34pl34 Posts: 2

can any one help with this car ?
    IMG_1211.jpg 306.5K
    I suspect it is a 70s era kit car, maybe even based on a VW - if not, based on a common smallblock platform.
    pl34 said:

can any one help with this car ?

• Sorry. It is the two-tone convertible with the woman looking to her rear. Thank you.
    I think that's an early 50s Hillman Minx.
  • Thanks, fintail. I appreciate your insight.
    First car - 1933 Chevy. Second car - 1934 LaSalle. I don't know about the exact models.
  • 7570375703 Posts: 1
    edited August 2015

Does anyone have any idea what this is? The tiny car.

The shell is a Subaru 360 (59 Caddy behind it, 36 Ford to the right)

• Does anyone know what this beauty is ?
    84513947.jpg 65.1K
    Hard to say, but my first guess is a 1937-38 GM something-or-other, but I can't place it.
    I snooped around for a few minutes - the fender shape and hood vents point to a 39 Pontiac, so Andre has the right idea.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 10,632
    Without looking anything up, I'm going guess a LaSalle?
    Quite the weathervane on the roof.
  • texasestexases Posts: 6,590

Without looking anything up, I'm going guess a LaSalle?
    Quite the weathervane on the roof.

LaSalles had bigger hood vents, and the headlights were way different, '39 at least:

39 Pontiac looks like a pretty good guess. Of course, subject vehicle is chopped, so adjust accordingly:

Yeah, it's definitely a '39 Pontiac. Something about the front-end of the rat-rod looks a bit different though, like it's more raked-back. I wonder if it's been modified there as well, or it's just an optical illusion enhanced by the lowered body and chopped roof?