Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 47,364
    possibly but I'd need to see more of the front or back of the car. These half-cut side shots make it almost impossible to be certain. Once you can see the grille, or even the headlights, you know so much more.

So many late 20s cars look alike from those angles.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 35,392
    Interesting. It didn't seem very Packard-y to me. At the least, someone must have swiped the hubcaps!
  • samwgsamwg Posts: 5
    I am no car buff so I bow to everyone's highly superior opinions - but it's pretty confusing...everyone I have asked claims something different lol! Based on the hood ornament (zoomed in on) an Auburn was suggested - someone sent an image of wheels they said were from a 27 Packard and they do have 7 nuts (is that the technical term?) like the one's in this image.

The challenge of identifying the car was set by my Photoshop lecturer as part of an assignment - so for all I know the car may not even be real or possibly a composite of 100 different images!

I will follow up on all and any ideas as best I can though, so thanks for the info.

regards
    Sam
    I could post it at the AACA forum if you are unable. Someone there will know for sure.

I suspect the car is real - the image looked good to me. There were just too many cars made then that are long gone now.
    If you wouldn't mind posting it that would be great! I am kind of intrigued now as to what it actually is!
    If you can post the pic at your carspace page, or better yet give the URL to the image, I can do it without a problem.
    I think the year is about right don't think it's an Auburn:

It's not a Star, Durant, Elcar, Marquette, Velie, Hubmobile, Whippet, Cole,Hudson, Grant, Dayton-Stoddard, Moon, Kisselcar, Gray Biddle or Dorris.

The hubcap does sorta kinda resemble a Buick "B" that was used for a while. The Dodge Brothers used a superimposed DB

This is from a 1927 Graham-Paige. Whaddya all think?

A Roosevelt:

Thanks so much

URL is [URL=http://img42.imageshack.us/i/carq.png/][IMG]http://img42.imageshack.us/img4- 2/6898/carq.th.png[/IMG][/URL]...

I will wait and hope!
  • texasestexases Posts: 6,023
    "This is from a 1927 Graham-Paige. Whaddya all think? "

I think you got it, Shifty. Looks like that design is a match.
    The link doesn't work - but no matter. Shifty is right. It's a ca. 1927 Graham-Paige. The hubcap looks right, and a quick google image search found a few others with disc wheels and a similar hood ornament

Like this (this one is a 28):

Here's another, but slightly different wheels:

Mystery solved!
    Boy... what I learned about vintage cars in one day! How did we live before the internet?

Thanks so much to all who helped - I really appreciate it.

regards
    Sam
  • Can anyone identify this car in The Prisoner (2009) ?

">

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-prisoner-cars-photos/black-car.jpg
    Looks like a Bentley S3 Continental, probably 1963-65
  • texasestexases Posts: 6,023
    I think it's a '65ish "Chinese Eye" Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III:
  • The movie shows my grandfather and his sons (including my father) on a New York street (probably in the Bronx). I think Grandpa Moses is showing off his new car. I am trying to date the film accurately. Does anyone know the model and year of the car?

">link title
  • The link got lost when I save the original message
  • This mailer keeps deleting the link I am trying to store that points to the movie on Google. Let me try again, but this time stripping off the brackets <> to fool it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=Ken.Bakalar&target=PHOTO&id=54203827- 81891344002&aid=5420372393976946337&authkey=Gv1sRgCKaisPymu6m8bg&feat=email
    Judging from the car and other cars on the street, (no turret type cars passing), and by the clothing styles, I'd say 1928-1930 would be about right.

The car is elusive to me, but it's definitely a "middle-class" car, not a cheap Chevy or Ford.

I am pretty certain that's a 1929-31 Cadillac...as I can't tell if the hood has doors or louvers, I can't tell which year for sure.
    Could be. It's definitely an upscale car. It's tantalizing...I wish the camera would have moved down just another 12 inches, to be certain.

There were, after all, hundreds of American makes, and many were copy-cats.

• Can anyone identify the car in this photo? My grandfather is the one wearing gauntlets and standing in front of the car, partially obscuring it. The child being held was born in Nov., 1915, and I'm guessing he's about 2 years old. So the photo dates around 1917-1918". I don't know if the car was new at that time or not.
    Thanks for your help.
    ">
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,274
    If it's not a Cadillac, it's definitely a LaSalle. The radiator mascot is the giveaway. That's the famous Cadillac "goddess."
  • I'm guessing that the following photograph was taken circa 1930, based on the looks of the cars shown. I assume they're inexpensive cars, since they probably belonged to the teachers from the high school they're parked next to.

http://bostontech.info/zenphotofiles/index.php?album=building-photos&image=bldg-- with-cars-and-new-lamppost.jpg&p=*full-image

Can anyone lend a hand? I don't need to pin down the year exactly, though it would be fun to know more about what those cars are. If my father were still alive he'd have no trouble ID'ing them, but ...

Thanks a lot in advance,

Tom Hayden
    I'd say the photo is from around 1930 yeah. The cars are pretty tough to make out, but I think that's a ca. 1930 Chevy nearest the flag at right. The third car at right, cut off, makes me think of a period Chrysler. The cars at left, all rear end views, are very difficult. I am sure there's a Ford Model A or two in that bunch, anyway.
    I agree 1928 to 1932, somewhere in there.

• Thank you very much.

Tom
    No problem

You might have more luck at the forum linked here where there are more experts.
  • I have a photo of my grandmother as a young woman, standing next to her car, which I cannot identify. Is there a way to attach a photo here for help?