Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vintage Car Identification Help!

Comments

• lyda2lyda2 Posts: 5
    I posted a query on the AACA site as you suggested and got two replies suggesting that the larger car is a 1923 Willys-Knight 3-door. Thank you for directing me to this resource!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    Yep, looks like a good match, especially the distinctive radiator shell.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,259
    Damn....that was one of my first picks! I need to listen to my gut more.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,952
    No problem...looking at the radiator shell that appears to be correct, mystery solved.

I wonder what the script on the grille says...I know in the teens and twenties it wasn't uncommon for motorists to have a badge denoting where they lived...that could be it.
    Also the name of a garage, or a business.

• omarmanomarman Posts: 715
    edited October 2010
    The key to identifying a Model A is the radiator cap right in fron of the windshield

Wonder where you pump the gas then? :) (Haha, I know you meant to point out the cowl integrated fuel tank.)

Old Fords aside, it seems like the ability to ID those regional/independent cars may die off when the experts pass on. I don't think the museums can save everything-and probably shouldn't try.

I remember reading that there may have been upwards of 100 different American made motorcycles over the last century! I don't know if that's true but there's a wiki page listing 33 American bike makers over time. Kind of nice to see the joint venture Hodaka dirt bikes remembered.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    :blush: Oops...yep, gas cap...maybe I should have just called it that big round chrome thingy... :P
    Many Model As wont' let you forget where the gas tank is, because you'll smell it went you get behind the wheel.

It's a safety feature :P

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I found these two articles over on The Truth About Cars site and I know that you'd be very interested to take a look at both of them:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/10/curbside-classic-1965-mercedes-220s-w11- 1/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/10/which-car-most-influenced-the-styling-o- f-the-1959-mercedes-w111/

Since you're the fintail guru here on this board I have to ask you - are there significant differences styling-wise among different years of the W111 series? Specifically, could you tell the differenc between a 1959 and a last-of-the-line 1968 model?
    Cool stuff, thanks for sharing..I hadn't seen those before.

There is no significant body difference in W111 cars. Really, there are only a few time-centric changes in the entire run of US spec cars. As Europe didn't use a strict model year system as on this side of the pond, changes took place at random times. Sometime in 1962 I think, the turn signals at front moved from the stacked headlight bezels to cone shaped lenses between the headlights and grille. Sometime in 1963 the side view mirror moved from the front fender to the front door. Earlier cars have a different texture to the taillight plastic, but I can't recall when it changed.

Other than that, nothing really changed...starting in 1965 I think, dealer installed rub strips are not uncommon on lower side panels - but not seen on all cars. Other than that, no real exterior changes throughout the run, you can put a fender or door from a 1959 built 220SE on an end of the run 230S and it should fit without issue.
  • In Re Ford gas caps:

? - 1928, threaded
    1929 - '80s, quarter turn twist lock
    80s - back to a different kind of threaded
  • Hi all,
    Am new to this forum and was wondering if I can post some photos of vintage cars for ID. I have a vintage photograph business and need help identifying in order to list them.

Kind regards,
    Rosalie
    Hi Rosalie,

You can post them but it's best to do it one at a time, and then allow a day or so for the comments to come in. You'll have to host your photos on your own website or photobucket or some such in order for them to appear here.

Once you have a URL for your photo, you come to this box, like you did for your first post, then click on the little "img" tab below ONE TIME, then paste in your URL, and then click on the "img" tab a second time, then click "post my message" and that should work.

Make sure your photos are not too large or they will distort our page.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    The maximum width the page will tolerate is 650 pixels. You can reduce the size of the displayed photo by inserting a reduced width and length at the end of the link after you click on the Img button below the posting box. E.g., width="650" height="XXX" then the final greater than symbol that the Img button inserted. The xxx is determined to keep the original width x length proportional to the final 650 pixel width.

If the original picture is larger, I recommend putting in a link to the original picture on the hosting site so the readers can see finer detail if it's needed to help with identification.
    Yeah,links work very well.

Anyway,bring on the pics, I like a challenge
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    I see I wasn't clear. I was suggesting putting the picture on the page AND adding a link to the larger original picture hosted somewhere.
  • Okay, I uploaded to Flickr - I hope that helps... there are quite a few.... hope you can help... hoping to list these pics in my ebay store and make some money to help my hubby out with the bills...;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28334698@N03/
    Some of those are pretty tough, I think I know a few though

carc - 1961 Pontiac

car - interior of a 1961 GM car, could be the Pontiac from "carc"

carb - 1956 Mercury

card - 1957 Pontiac

care - likely an early 20s Model T

cari - 1946-48 Dodge

carj - car at rear is a 1939-40 Ford

carg - appears to be one of the mid 30s White Yellowstone buses

cark - I'll guess a 1936 Dodge or Plymouth

carn - 1949-51 Mopar product

caro - 1941 Plymouth

carp - 1936 Chevy I think

caru - car behind the boy's head could be a 41 Pontiac? Toughie

polko - looks like a 1946 Ford at left
  • Well that is certainly a good start! Thank you so much for looking and for your feedback. I don't want to list photos of cars without knowing what they are. :-)
    Not a problem, it's a fun game for me. Hopefully some others can add detail - if you are looking to sell them on ebay, you'll do better with the most information possible, and I could be wrong here and there.

The AACA "What Is It?" forum also has some experts and a large readership base, some info might be able to be found there too
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 715
    Ever see this film from 1906, a trip down Market Street shot 4 days before the great San Francisco earthquake? There's a chaotic mix of street cars, cable cars, motor cars, bicycles, horse drawn wagons, carts, and buggies. And pedestrians who really keep their heads on a swivel!

This time capsule view of California over 100 years ago is like observing life on another planet. Not like now. Haha! It doesn't have to be election day for that joke to work but it doesn't hurt either. :D
    Driving in SE Asia is still a lot like that!

Yep I have seen that, it's an amazing document. I can't identify any of those!

Imagine streets where you simply couldn't survive if you were oblivious...I can't imagine. I like to think if I was around then I would have been an early motorist.
    The first recorded fatality in the US was a Mr. Bliss, run down by a NY city taxicab in 1899. The first recorded fatality in the world was in 1896 in England, when a woman was struck at the "tremendous speed", says the records, of some 6 mph or so.

I'm very sure about the first entry, the second one is just something I read somewhere.

I bet the problem then was not only being hit, but being run over - the speed wouldn't be enough to throw you clear, so the trackless locomotive would just roll right over a person.
    There was an attachment you could add to early cars---it was kind of a hinged cradle---as you hit someone, it was supposed to scoop them up and hold them !!

• http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5170363775_ae814fc3ed_z.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of car this is? Probably from the 1940s somewhere near Reno, NV.
  • http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5170964762_bd05da48dc_z.jpg

And also this car? In Los Angeles (corner of Budlong and Manchester) maybe in the 1930s or 1940s?
    edited November 2010
    1936 Hudson, second pic you posted looks like an early version of a custom car based on a mid 20s Model T coupe - the second pic was likely taken around 1925 based on the building and cars in the background.
  • Does any one know the make and year of this car? Is it a Hudson?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29213393@N07/5287099228/