Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I read the article and found is was short and vague. There is also an assumption that the parts will be inferior, not just cost less. The article also states there are 200 parts involved which, as the article mentioned, is a very small percentage of the total and doesn't mention which models are involved. Doing this for the cheaper models would have more impact than on the very expensive models. I would think that if a part were to change the Toyota engineers would have to redesign the part, not just take redesigns from the part manufacturers or simply accept parts made from different materials. And, there are other ways of reducing costs without changing the part. We will probably never notice in future cars which parts cost less than before.

On another point, I like my 6-speed transmission.
  • If Toyota is indeed revamping the Avalon for 2011, I am hoping they design it shorter than the 2010 Avalon. My 2003 Avalon is 191.9 inches in length but the 2010 Avalon has grown to 197.2 inches in length - 6.3 inches longer than the 2003 Avalon. I question Toyota's reasoning when I compare the Avalon to a 2010 Lexus ES (191.1) and Lexus GS (190.7).

I love my 2003 Avalon and want to purchase a new Avalon but do not want to drive a really big car. I definitely do not want the Avalon to turn into my parents 1980's something Oldsmobile "Love Boats." Do other people have this concern?
    I don't have that concern. One of the reasons I bought the Avalon (2008) is because of its size. I want it to ride like a big car, not a jumpy little car. I've always felt that way and I guess it's because the car I grew up with in high school was a 1951 Chrysler.
  • I do not have a concern. I think most Avalon owners (me included) buy them for the roominess and comfort. There are a lot of nice, smaller cars out there. Why hope for the Avalon to join them?
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Big, Long and Lean … that's how I like my cars (and women:).

I had 3 Buick Park Avenues before purchasing my 2008 Avalon, and would look at other cars, if they choose to make it smaller.

Heck, with 4 adults on a 2 week vacation, it was much tighter then I liked:(

The trunk was barely large enough for the suitcases, and this is with a few pieces in the back seat.

Like someone said, there are plenty of very nice smaller cars
    (Camry, Hyundai, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, VW CC anyone), so if you want smaller, get a car designed to be smaller.

This waiting is killing me… I'd love to see some sneak pictures, specs on what might be the 2011 Avalon.

Skip
  • I love my 2003 Avalon and just hated to see it grown, to what I remember, as my parents Oldmobile "love boats". When comparing the 2010 Avalon length to Maxima, Lexus models, and Buick Lucerne, only the Lucerne is longer than Avalon. The others are in the 190 - 192 range.
    Not sure about everyone, but MANY folks will likely look at the new Buick Lacrosse as a great choice. Now it's not a Toyota, but it is getting some VERY nice reviews.

If they sell many, that is that many less Toyota will sell, as most people won't trade-in a 1 year old car, unless they don't like it, or the 2011 Avalon is something REAL sweet.

Skip
  • kq0b1kq0b1 Posts: 14
    Long time ago (1980s) I owned a Buick Park Avenue. I have the 2009 Limited and it's the Best riding car besides the large Caddy back in the day. I love my Avalon because of its ride and comfort. If I were to buy something upwards it would be a Lexus 460. Yeah I like the gas mileage on the Avalon but the ride reminds me of the Park Avenue. Personally I would like to see more room on the passenger side seat going back more. The trunk has great room. I am not a Lexus wanna-be and could afford a Lexus but I think for the return on investment you can't beat the Avalon. Only 8000 miles on my 2009 and I can see it going a long time with proper care. I can understand cjustin concerns but I think Toyota will will come out with another line rather than change the Avalon to be a "Love Boat". :)
  • I do not have that concern either. If you want a smaller car buy the Camry or Lexus ES. I transport clients in my Avalon and they love the room. The Avalon has approximately the same interior dimensions as a Lexus LS. That is great as I can't afford to pay $75K for any car. I applaud Toyota for building the Avalon. Many people need a full size car at a reasonable price - if you call $40K reasonable.

I have read comments on this forum that Toyota can't afford to have the Avalon eating into the sales of the LS. Are you kidding me, the additional $35K in price would keep me and a lot of other potential buyers from even considering an LS. I would be forced to go to another brand if the Avalon were to be discontinued.

As I have said before, what Toyota really needs to do is advertise the Avalon and get the dealers to stock more than 3 or 4 cars. They have a real winner and it would sell if they would put some effort into marketing it. It is a crime that they don't.
  • I agree 100% with you. Toyota should be putting more effort into marketing the Avalon. I remember back in early spring 2005, when this current, 3rd generation debuted, there was one television commercial. I specifically remember the commercial focusing on the rain sensing wipers on the Limited model. This was the only major advertising on national TV for this current generation Avalon. After 2005, Toyota has not really brought much attention to the Avalon. Now there is zero % financing available on new 2010 models. This is about the only advertising the Avalon has received (along with the other Toyota vehicles being offered with the same financing specials).

Also, as you mentioned, dealers should have more than 3-4 Avalons on their lots for sale. I don't think I've ever visited a Toyota dealership with more than 5 Avalons available on the lot! Dealerships should have a good selection of each model offered along with a good selection of interior/exterior color combinations. I realize the Avalon isn't Toyota's #1 seller. However, it would be nice to have more choices of the Avalon to see at dealerships.

It seems as though Toyota is really pushing the Limited model. Most dealers in the New England region only have Avalons in the Limited model on their lots. I've noticed this since 2008, when the Avalon received a minor redesign. Occaisonally, an XL or XLS model will roll in and sell rather quickly. Does anyone else notice this in different parts of the country?
  • Here in Arizona we see mostly XLS models on the dealer lots. Those are more than likely white, silver or black. I finally located a Silver Pine Mica Limited and bought it before anyone else could. That was after a year of scouring the internet and dealer lots. I didn't want to order one before I saw one up close and personal. I have had many positive comments about the car and the color. I love it.
  • Very interesting! In New England most new, available Avalons are silver, black, and Magnetic Grey. The Silver Pine Mica, Cocoa Bean, Blue Mirage, and Cassis Pearl, are not able to be found anywhere in New England.

After 2008, when the Touring model was discontinued, I wanted to purchase a 2009 XLS in Blue Mirage with dark charcoal interior. I love this color combo.! Beginning in 2009, Toyota offered the dark charcoal interior on the XLS and Limited models. For quite some time, I checked dealer inventories within a 100 mile radius from where I live. I could not find such car in this color combo. I insisted on buying a new Avalon with the dark charcoal interior. Finally, in October 2009, I found a silver XLS with dark charcoal interior and the factory options that I wanted. To find any Avalon with dark charcoal interior, in the New England region was almost impossible! It took almost two years for me to find one with dark charcoal interior! Even though I wanted the Blue Mirage, I like the silver exterior as it is light and doesn't show the dirt as much as a darker color, especially with the road salt associated with New England winters! I was told by several dealers that I would have to order the blue and black combo. Like you, I wanted to see the car in person without having to order it!
  • CJutson,
    Do not fear the longer length of the new Gen 3 (05-10) Avalons vs your Gen 2 (03) Avalon. I traded my 03 for an 06 and it felt far from like riding in the "Big Boat". As a matter of fact, due to the suspension tuning etc, the newer Gen 3 feels less like riding in a big boat then my 03 Avalon did. It feels smaller because the front seat is smaller and tighter (wider center console and dashboard). I was hesitant to get rid of the 03 because it was so good to me for 80,000 miles, but I started to notice that the suspension wasn't as tight as it was when it was new. I also felt that my luck of spending money only on oil changes,brakes and tires was coming to an end, even though I read on this forum about many people with Gen 2 Avalons with hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars. So far, I am very happy with the 06 and it looks better than the 03.

I do agree that the Avalon is one of Toyotas best kept secrets. If they actually tried to sell this model with a marketing campaign, they would certainly sell many more Avalons. I am sure that they would hurt some of their Lexus sales, but they would more than make up for the loss Lexus sales with Avalon converts from many other manufacturers.
  • When Toyota went from '03 to the current Avalon they finally understood the long over due need to have a flagship, besides the LS. You simply cannot have a flagship using the midsize chassis and wheel base hense the new length. At the same time, and following the trends set by others mid size cars got larger. The current Camry's back seat is about the same as the '03 Avalon. So that's really the car to go for, for a smaller package with similar amenities. As far as advertising more, that's not going to happen because of the age demographic. It's a niche car at the large boulevard cruiser size, and that appeals to an age group (read older), who are not car enthsiasts but comfort enthusiasts. If Toyota really wanted to lower the age of the Avalon buyer they would advertise, but that would cut into Camry sales or LS's. Think about it, if Toyota is already the world's largest maker, and they have the lion's share of sales in the large car market, trying to sell more by advertising would only canabalize their own models. Who should they take sales from Ford's 500, (oops I mean Taurus)? The other large cars are $35,000 more and are called SClass, 750's and LS's. Not our market. BTW, I have a 2007 Limited in Silver Pine Mica. Best car I have ever owned and the best color too. Am waiting for the 2011 to make a trade so I hope they improve on what is already a great package.
    One of the small benefits to being a traveling salesman. I can check out colors an options of cars anywhere from Maine to Florida. I point this out to say, if you want to check out colors an options for the car you want, think about a longer driver, to get what you want. Once you've seen the car, if you like it, see if they will do a "Dealer Swap" with your local dealer. Heck, they may make you an offer you can't refuse, just to get the sale.

The down side is, your local dealer won't like the fact you did this, so to make both parties happy, look around and don't ask the dealer with the car, just tell the local dealer where you saw / drove one, and ask if they can see about a dealer swap.

Going the extra mile with insure that you are one of the only people in your area with a car in those colors and with those options.

Skip
  • What you say makes more sense to me now. Thanks for taking the time to explain. My 2003 is a really good size for me, easy to manipulate in traffic and easy to park. My parents drove monster cars in the 80's that my kids called love boats. I just hated to see the Avalon grown into this monster car.

In purchasing a new vehicle I have looked at the Camry and even the Venza. But, as you can imagine, they do not have the luxury features of my 2003 Avalon. Guess I will have to compromise by either purchasing the longer Avalon or going with Camry or Venza and not have the luxury.

My Alvalon is basically the same color as your 2007 and I love it. I may get the same color again.

Thanks again.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If I were Toyota I would drop the current Avalon in favor of a Toyota "clone" of the GS350. Now THAT would constitute a TOYOTA FLAGSHIP, top of the FLEET..!!
    This is an interesting discussion about the size of cars. A person's perception about size must have to do with their experience through the years and I don't feel like an 'old fogey' when it comes to my taste in cars even though I may be. I like the Avalon because it handles well with the power it has relative to its size and can comfortably eat up miles on long trips. But, I don't feel the Avalon is a big boat. It may be on the large size by today's standards (if you don't count the SUVs, pickups, and vans) but certainly not large relative to cars that I grew up with which goes back to my parent's Model A they had when I was born. Also, remember the Oldsmobile with 44 pounds of chrome. I think one of the best cars of the 80s was the Ford Taurus and it stayed that way until they had some high school dropouts redesign it. I hope the new model brings back innovations like it originally had. Anyway, there's a lot of car models out there because there are a lot of different opinions on what is a good car.
  • I have seen these comments before about the GS350 clone, and I am still confused by the logic. If you want a GS350, buy one for about $40+k, but why move the Avalon from the excellent, comfortable, roomy, vehicle that it is, and add $10K to the price?

There are several other $40K clone vehicles out there already, why would Toyota want to add another to compete with Lexus?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If the lowly but best selling Camry can be spiffed up, dressed up, to sell as the more upscale ES350, why not an "undressed" GS350 as a RWD Avalon??

"..why would Toyota want add another to compete with Lexus..."

You mean, say, like the new Venza...??

At this moment I would be buying a F/awd Venza with the new I4 instead of an RX350.

On the other hand a F/awd RX225 using the Venza platform but with the Venza's I4 adapted for DFI and e/VVT-i would put me in the market NOW...!!