Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• I had a 2001 Avalon which I dearly loved, but since it was my first Toyota, and being a former owner of only American made cars, I got scared when the mileage went up to 100,000 and traded it off for a 2006 Camry. I have never been satisfied with my Camry because I loved my Avalon so much. The Camry is a great car, but just not the quality of my Avalon. I have thought about getting a new Avalon but feel they look so similar to the Camrys, why pay the price when they look just alike and want to wait until you can visibly see the difference. Does anyone know when the body style of the Avalon is going to change?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Here is the latest Avalon rumor...... the source is a relative (at Toyota in Japan) of one of the service writers at my dealership: The Avalon, as we all know it, is history for 2010.

The word at Toyota is simply that the global slowdown means that every model line must justify its own production. There is no room for error. While the Avalon is not expensive to build as a car based on the parts, the assembly line costs per unit are far in excess of what is reasonable. Volume is too low. So, no more of the current design will be made after 2009, and even this MY run may be cut short.

The good news here is that Toyota wants a car that will get what buyers there are into the showroom, so a "replacement" Avalon may be coming. Exactly what that car will be is still under discussion. There are other Toyota products that could be added to the current US models. We have seen them here on Edmunds.com. Or they might modify a Camry...somehow. No decisions yet but Toyota is thinking.... Could they keep the name? Maybe. But the car will be very different from what we now enjoy as the '05 to '09 Avalon.

All this is rumor, of course..
  • goateegoatee Posts: 51
    If Toyota goes with an AWD version of the new Avalon, sales will go through the roof and I would be one of the first ones waiting. Any news from anyone??
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Toyota isn't about to let up, even if they are one of the causes of the American auto problems. They are to blame, but ONLY because they make a far superior car:).

That being said, the Avalon will or MAYBE replace, but it will only be done with a much better, cooler, neater feature packed model.

You don't change something unless it's needed, and sales of the Avalon are going very well, and Toyota WILL change it and add those features asked for by it's owners.

I've told to several folks in the know, and I'm getting this for responses.

The Avalon is a wonderful car, and it's base is growing monthly. It IS digging into sales of the Lexus, and this is something Toyota is looking into.

Do we (Toyota) bring the price of the Avalon up, so as to lessen the gap between it and the Lexus?

Do we (Toyota) drop the unit from the Toyota lineup?

Do we drop it, and make a larger Camry (Camry Touring Sedan, Camry LS)?

Do we (Toyota) simply make the changes folks are asking for to the current Avalon, and adjust the price accordingly (this is the statement getting the best response), as in "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" and for sure "If it's working, don't mess with it"!

MANY Lexus owners are switching to the Avalon Limited and as they put it (Lexus Owners) "Putting the extra $10,000 - $20,000 in their pockets), if all I loose is a bit of status amongst my Lexus friends … I can live with this, and spend the extra money on a vacation, cruise or maybe a bit of extra pocket change.

The day I picked up my Avalon Touring Sedan, their were 2 doctors who had just sold and or traded their 4 year old Lexus and were picking up Avalon Limiteds. One of the doctors came over and introduce himself and said "Welcomed to the club" and walked away smiling?

My salesman said they have had a steady increase in Lexus owners coming in this year doing the same thing. He said the good news was that the dealership had some really nice clean Lexus's for re-sale (no Lexus dealer in our area) and the other was that they got to sell a lot of Avalons, which was good for the dealership.

And to the person above who said he had a Camry but wanted the Avalon but it looked so much like a Camry … blah, Blah, well I'm here to tell you - EVERYONE who has seen me with my New Avalon, has noticed it wasn't a Camry! And more then that I noticed it's not my Camry. I had 2007 Camry,which was a great car, for what it is, but is NOT a Avalon.

Skip
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    More and more these days "upscale" means NO inexpensive, CHEAP, UNSAFE, FWD or F/AWD. Since the Avalon is now being recognized as being on the bottom edge of the upscale market the FWD aspect must go....
    Ok, so lets see what folks think

2010 Avalon specs:

- All new body design
    - AWD (at least an option) RWD or FWD will need to stay for cost (retail) alone.
    - V8 as an option, maybe the NEW limited or Touring model has the V8 option and AWD option. It would be nice if a base model had AWD, but it would make it an expensive option for a base model..
    The usual options from here, radio upgrade, leather or cloth, Nav or no Nav.
    Color schemes, tires / rim options,
    - maybe an up-graded transmission, maybe a 7 speed?
    - Add or put the coin pocket back to the left hand side.
    - Make the sunroof interior panel a bit heavier (it seems so cheap to me)
    - Make a plug-in for iPods and such, that has the same controls and shows the same information on screen as seen on the iPod, And make this plug-in / pocket somewhere out of the way. Maybe on the side of the center console.

I haven't had my Avalon Touring Sedan long enough to know what else I'd like to have or would change if I could. But these are a few things I'd like.

I sure would like to see a limited use of plastics in the car. I know it's to keep the weight and cost down, but it seems to make the car a bit over priced when they use plastic.

Skip
    A recent reply from Toyota

Mr. Lalemand,
    Thank you for contacting Toyota.

We appreciate your interest in the 2009 Avalon.

We apologize; Toyota has no plans at this time to offer the Avalon Touring model for the 2009 model year. While we can not say with any certainty, this decision may have been based on sales trends and market interests. We are however, constantly researching the market to identify popular vehicles. Your comments and interest have been documented at our National Headquarters for future model consideration.

We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to consider Toyota for your driving needs.

Renee Toussaint Toyota Customer Experience
  • I think it is very interesting that a proposal for the 2010 Avalon would include V-8 power.

We, as a nation where $4.00/ gal. gas almost wrecks our economy, still propose to take an outstanding V-6 sedan package that will get an honest 30 MPG on the road, and add features to make it more expensive, more powerful, and surely less fuel efficient.

I, personally, do not need a lot more financial and environmental punishment.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Everything points toward the Avalon going away.... Toyota has no need to put a V8 in a FWD sedan and if the Av goes RWD the price will be way too close to a Lexus GS to have both in the lineup. Heck the Avalon surely steals a few sales away from Lexus as it is. I personally would hate to see the Av go... however large cars and SUVs are still not selling as people will not forget the $4.00 gas. (even though the local station to me is $1.49 right now :).

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Ok, I'm with you there, so what is it that you'd like to see the new Avalon look like, be like, have or not have?

So if they change it enough, and make it more money (still less then a Lexus), it will still sell, and THEN, maybe the New Larger Camry (the replacement for the Avalon) will sell enough, that they will drop the Avalon all together. Sounds silly, and if this was an American company, I would stick to my thoughts here, but for Toyota, it is a stretch.

Now I agree, but don't like it, they will likely drop the Avalon, ONLY because it has been around long enough, and they won't likely get the sells from it that they WILL from a newly re-designed and named Avalon ("What's your choice for the new name?)

I'm just stating my thoughts … what are yours?

Skip
    New "avalon" = Toyota "GS350".
  • "Toyota GS-350". I have to ask the question a 2nd time. Why would I want to buy an Avalon replacement that cost $10K more and gets 10% less mileage?
  • geo123geo123 Posts: 33
    Could it be a version of this?

http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/crown.html

I am holding on to my XLS 2000 anxiously awaiting the 2009 replacement to see if I want to stay with the Avalon or go elsewhere. Have received excellent service from the 2000 and looking for about the same type car to replace in a 2010. I am also considering a Lexus but like the extra interior room in the Avalon. Of course, the 460 Lexus is available, but that is more than I want to spend. So the bottom line is, I am hoping and waiting for a new version Avalon with luxury, intenior room, dependability, and new style with quality body side molding.

Thanks,

George
    My answer is...

What is the price, ratio, for/between a stripped down Camry vs a bottom priced Lexus ES350..??

While I have doubts about a Toyota "GS350" ever getting fitted with a 4 cylinder it is clearly a possibility. A RWD (maybe even a R/AWD option) with an Atkinson/West cycle (***) DFI 4 cylinder engine mated with a 6 (9) speed automatic just might take the market by storm.

*** HIGHLY FE Atkinson cycle (low torque, relatively) mode ONLY when the lockup clutch is engaged. Or maybe even at WOT when the cylinders are getting a FULL charge and therefore the Atkinson cycle mode will produce a decent level of torque AND still be highly FE.
    If you're considering a Lexus then the GS350 might be a perfect fit. The GS350 is RWD so there is also a bit of an additional safety factor involved. But for best FE be sure and get the GS350 with the DFI V6 engine.
    Well a few hundred more miles and I have some other things I'd like to see on the next Avalon. Some maybe on the Limited but aren't on the Touring model. So if they are available on the LImited, then maybe I'll have to upgrade:)

Earlier post:

- Side Coin tray
    - Better roof liner (seems so cheap when sliding out of the way)

New:

- Side lights for when you are turning and have the blinker on.
    - Fan Speed control on steering wheel. If you are trying to make it convenient then it's one of the only controls not on the wheel.

Skip
    Hi folks. This might be hard to answer unless you've had both or tried both out well, but is there a difference in the ride between the Touring model (which is no longer made) and the Limited Avalon, and if so, what is the difference?

On a scale of 1-10 softer or harder?
    On a scale of 1-10 more comfortable or less or can't tell the difference?

Are the extras worth it?

- Navigation system?
    - Seats?
    - Radio?

Skip
  • The Touring model is history, no longer being offered by Toyota. A more firm ride compared to the Limited, not unlike the Touring model of my last Buick Park Avenue. The GS350 provides a similar feel as the Toyota Avalon Touring. A bit more sporty.
    My 2005 Avalon with 60,000 miles continues to amaze me with its fine smooth, quiet ride. If you want to compare an Avalon Limited to a Lexus sedan, the ES350 is to small, the GS to firm. The LS460 comes closest to the Avy. Now I'm talking size and feel on the road. As to price, the Limited stacks up against the ES350. If you're into a sporty ride stay with the Lexus GS, however, it cost much more than a Limited. The LS is totally above my budget. For what I want in a solid near luxury level vehicle, the Avalon Limited is number one.
    The one thing I'd love to have is a quiet car.

I purchased a Touring Sedan a few weeks ago, and LOVE the car. I just wish at 7- 80 MPH, it was quieter. The wind noise around the windows is a bit more then I'd like. This is the case, with most cars I tried.

At slower speeds the all seems fine. I guess I'll just have to drive slower (closer to the speed limited) from now on.

I didn't get a change to try the Buick Enclave out, but I'm told it's the quietest vehicle going?

Skip
    in New England? What have folks found they like and why?

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak, any thoughts on these? I had Dunlop Grasspics on the Camry and they seemed good.

Skip