Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Avalon

12346»

Comments

• carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    popsavalon is right, keep the Avalon as is. There is no better value in the car market today than the Avalon: reasonably priced; roomy; extremely comfortable, smooth, and reliable; unmatched fuel efficiency. Toyota would be foolish to change the new generation Avalon significantly. If it does, it will give up a whole segment of the market.
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    You summed it up perfectly. Since I've got nothing else to do right now I'll explain how I bought my Avalon. Back in February 2008 I had my 1998 Sienna LE in at the Toyota dealership for service and repairs. While I was in the waiting room (which has comfy seats, big screen HD TV, coffee, and doughnuts) I got bored and wandered into the showroom. It was packed with Caddy's, SUVs, and pickups; but in the middle was this jewel which I fell in love with right away. It was an Avalon. I told my wife I just found the car of my dreams, looked it over, we took it for a test drive and I bought it. Comparisons with other cars didn't enter into it. As far as Lexus goes I knew the name but nothing else and never paid any attention to any of its models or what it offered. A 2008 Avalon Ltd. is a far cry from a 1998 Sienna LE. The Sienna is a basic car (by today's standards) without any electronic/automatic gadgets. The gadget feature I like the best on the Avalon is the electronic key with the pushbutton start. That is so neat. I also don't care what the new models will have. I plan to keep the Avalon a very long time. I even bought the XM Radio lifetime subscription. Any way, that's my story.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Replacing the mats will not solve the issue. So, that whole floor mat recall and pedal change is going to be a waste of time.
    Debate about the problem being caused driver error or confusion about which pedal is the brake and which is the accelerator can also be put to rest.
    No error codes were logged on the computers, so the dealers assume that means there was no problem.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2010/01/15/toyota-sudden-acceleration-in-reverse/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-avalon-displays-unintended-acceleration-witho- - - - ut-floor-mat.html
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    These articles definitely raise eyebrows! These incidents with sudden accelearation involve mostly 3rd generation Avalons (not the Camry, Prius, and other models affected by the floor mat getting stuck in the gas pedal). Thus, ruling out the floor mat as being the cause of these incidents. The cause of the incident in Texas has not yet been determined, according to the article. Article mentions the floor mats of the 2008 Avalon involved in this accident were found in the trunk. Not sure if anyone will be able to determine if sudden, unexpected acceleration was the cause of this particular accident. But they definitely can't blame the floor mats!

I heard that Toyota planned to install a new feature that will shut the engine off if both the accelerator and gas pedal are pushed at the same time. Not sure if and when Toyota will install this feature on 2010 and older cars that were affected by the so called recall, due to the floor mats and gas pedal being too long. I also read that Toyota will have this feature standard on all 2011 models.
  • necro1234necro1234 Member Posts: 23
    "I heard that Toyota planned to install a new feature that will shut the engine off if both the accelerator and gas pedal are pushed at the same time."

I can see big issues been caused by such thinking, something happens like a deer runs in front of you and you panic, you pump the brake and pedal at the same time while trying to avoid making deer jerky and your engine shuts off....that is a friggin disaster waiting to happen.

There is an old feature to turn the engine off, its called an ignition key, no need to push any pedals, just turn it to the right and magically the engine shuts off.

I also see this idea as been crazy in that if you got a sudden burst of acceleration, say in a corner, and you shut that motor down suddenly, it would cause far more accidents and deaths than any good.

Toyota cannot possibly be this stupid.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The idea would be to force the engine down to idle via the DBW system when the brake light switch activates, REGARDLESS of gas pedal position. If the engine didn't drop to idle immediately then a failsafe measure of EFI fuel cut might then be appropreate.

"..old feature.. ignition key.."

"Old" being the operative term, soon to be obsolete as maybe a follow-on term.

"...Toyota cannot possibly be this stupid..."

Past proven.

NOBODY should have to practice, LEARN, how to shut the engine down via holding the PB down for a number of seconds. A simple twist PB function should have been included. Push to start, counter-clockwise twist to shut the engine down. Or even a separate STOP PB.
    One can only imagine the condition of those transaxle clutches after so many shifts into drive with the engine operating at WOT....
    "..gadget feature...I like best...pushbutton start..."

Just be sure and practice, just in case, using that same PB, holding it depressed, to STOP the engine.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction with reporters, send me an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: [email protected]
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    "Accelerator and Gas pedals … aren't they the same?
  • number4avalonnumber4avalon Member Posts: 13
    In Aug traded an '04 Avalon for a '11 Avalon. The '11 has a more sloped rear window with more glare and not as good a view thru the mirror. The backseat headrests even in the most retacted position hinder the rear view. I have not used the retractible sun shade as that is allso a bit of an obstacle. Since the back seat is seldom used, I have removed the two rear seat headrests, keep them in a bag on the rear floor to reinstall for rear seat passengers and reinstall for annual state inspection. Obviouly, liked the rear mirror visibility better in the '04
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    edited January 2013
    I had an 03 than an 06 and yes that rear window isn't the best for seeing out of. You will get used to it. Except for front seat comfort the 05+ is a much better car than the 00-04.

Its a shame Toyota destroyed the Avalon with the 2013. They were great cars.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve