Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• kq0b1kq0b1 Posts: 14
    thanks for the info. Its a great car. I was wondering if prices were still running the same and appears they are. Got a 09 Limited - no mileage without the XM but with Spoiler, door moldings, power seats passenger side, mats, for $33,300 so not feeling bad about the choice. BTW I am getting 4 mpg better than whats on the sticker

take care
  • I would be surprised to do as well right now. Around here, when you walk through a Toyota dealership, you might see 120 "clunkers" and maybe 60 to 70 new Toyotas. And these are at dealerships that typically had 300 to 400 new Toyotas in stock before the cash for clunkers program. I bought mine right before the program started. Unfortunately, I did not have a gas guzzling clunker to trade in since I have bought fuel efficient cars all my driving life. Once again, no free lunch ($4,500.00) for me.
  • Does anyone know approximately when Toyota will stop production of the 2010 Avalon? Toyota typically introduces new models/styles in early March, just in time for spring. I would like to order a 2010 because I like this generation's style. However, I am hesitant to do so because the 2011 should be on it's way, and I may like the new generation much more! Any new information on the 2011 model?
  • I bought a 2010 Avalon 3 weeks ago. It intermittently rumbles at 35-40mph when is drops into high gear and lugs the engine. The Toyotal field rep says this is normal for the Avalon (as well as other new Toyota cars) but most people don't complain about it. They don't want to publicize this because they wouldn't sell as many cars. Please let me know if you notice this: I'm trying to file a class action lawsuit about what I consider a deceptive practice by Toyota: my email address in cmorin@pol.net. Thanks.
  • Toyota seems to having a bit of grief with this transmission. Have read where they are proud of engineering it with substantially fewer parts than would be typical with a 6-speed automatic, but this may have come at a price.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    No issues like this with my 2008?

As for a class action law suit? With only 3 weeks on the car, my guess is (with a bit of toughness) the dealership will take the car back. Let them and Toyota Motor Corp., know "It's take it back, or I file a class action lawsuit"! My guess is, you won't own the car much longer, as it will be easier and cheaper to take it back, then the cost of a law suit.

Now, if in fact you and others find that this is a problem, and Toyota is ignoring it, then please, on the behalf of Toyota customers everywhere … get some action taken!

Skip

PS This won't bow well, (the bad press) if they are coming out with an all new model for 2011. It will look like the 2010 was a problem child, and so, they re-did it for 2011, in hopes of fixing it.

As oppose to, coming out with a new model, because it was time for a change.
  • Toyotal never buys a car back without arbitration.
    The thing is that Toyota knows that the new transmissions shift into high gear at too low a speed so the car is going to lug at times, yet they do it to promote better gas mileage without alerting the customer that their car is going to rumble at times.
    Not Toyota, the dealer.

Here in Maine, most dealers (because of state laws), have to take back, or work hard to satisfy customer with problem vehicles.

Now, this may not be easy, but if one is to complain hard enough, you should be successful.

Hell, it's in the dealers best interest.

Is there another car, that this dealership sells, that you can trade-in towards? I would think it would be in the dealers best interest to make you happy.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Almost all newer cars do this. My '06 Avalon (my '09 Genesis, and my GFs '08 Elantra also) did it at times (or would hunt between the gears) if it is that much of an annoyance, simply put the gear selector in manual and lock it in 3rd gear on the roads you are having a problem. My car only did it on one particular stretch of road where there was a slight hill that you I had to watch my speed on because there was always a patrolman waiting.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• Sure sounds like the transmisssion is reluctant to disengage the torque converter and/or drop down a gear. Probably the designers attempting to squeeze every last MPG out of the car for marketing reasons, and to up their CAFE average. As all modern transmissions are electronically controlled, I would wager a simple reprogramning of the PCM will remedy the issue. IF they will do this, another story.
    The way Toyota's transmissions are programmed has long been a discussion here on Edmunds and many other places. Really the car tells you how it wants to be driven. IMO you get used to it. They are certainly tuned for FE as you suggest, they upshift early and often to keeps the revs as low as possible. Its not just Toyota, my 09 Genesis has what seems to be the exact same trans logic as my '06 Avalon even though they are different trans (06 was a 5 speed, '09 is a 6).

• kq0b1kq0b1 Posts: 14
    Class action?? you gotta get more folks to complain - a class action of one is not gonna do it.

No problems with my 2009 -- and cannot see what they changed to the 2010. Can some enlighten me what they did for an upgrade on the 2010.

I gotta start using the manual shift --- smooth running car so far with fantastic gas mileage. just had my first oil change.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...simple reprogramming.."

Adversely affects FE so that would probably be a violation of EPA regulations.
  • What is the lastest news about the future of the Avalon? Will it be remodeled in 2011 or discontinued?
  • Has anyone heard an update on whether Toyota will re-style the Avalon or will they discontinue it in 2011?
    Several articles on the web, say it's being discontinued, and that they may be going to a stretch Camry?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257913

Then there is this piece which say's "It's Coming", but the link doesn't work?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2994688&posted=1#post2994688

Skip
  • Hmmm., I thought the Avalon was presently on a stretched Camry platform? I AM one of those senior citizens described in the link, albeit not at the colostomy bag stage as yet. However, even us old farts like some excitment in a vehicle. The Touring edition was a better handling Avalon, and in their infinite wisdom, it was discontinued. A RWD performance-orientated machine might be the answer for Toyota. Went to a BMW 335d, significantly better mileage than the Avalon, and definitely superior handling. Tired of waiting for the corporate announcement to decree the Avalon a white elephant.
  • I, too, am a senior citizen, and I will have to defend my Avalon a little bit. I like the Toyota ride, which has been described by some as mushy, but the handling hasn't gotten me in trouble yet. It suits me much better than the firm "German" ride that picks up every bump in the road.

With my honest 30 MPG on the road at 75 MPH, I don't think the BMW mileage is "significantly better", and the 335d price seems to be at least $10K higher.

There are a couple of engineering issues, but if you get the proper VVTi oil line, and learn how to drive the electronic tranny, it's a very nice car for the price.
    I loved my 06 Avalon. The ride was fantastic, the 3.5 V6 is simply amazing too. The car is not a handler, even in the "Touring" form that was available early on. If it wasn't for the Genesis coming out there is no doubt I would have leased another Avalon. I still miss the plush ride, but the Genesis handles much better than the Avalon, a trade off I guess.

• I purchased a new 2010 Avalon XLS two weeks ago. I was tired of wondering what the future plans truly are (whether the entire lineup will be discontinued or not). Besides, I live in New England. The dark charcoal interior is almost impossible to find around here--very RARE! I insisted on buying a new car with a dark interior and light exterior (I went with silver). I really like this color combination and the dealership had it in stock on the lot.

I liked the car enough to purchase it, but I have to say that I am disappointed! I cannot get used to the transmission. I find that the acceleration is also not as good as my former car, a 2004 Corolla. I understand the Avalon is a bigger, heavier car. What I don't understand is why the car hesitates and almost pulls back, when I remove my foot from the accelerator.

Also, I have noticed the car makes strange noises while turned on. There is a slight friction noise while turning the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer 3 days after I drove it home. They said that the steering column was a bit dry and that it needed some lubrication, so they greased it. This does not sound right for a new, $35,000 car. The same exact sound still appears, so it obviously didn't need grease! Other noises also continue to appear in the cabin of the car--not rattles, more of a buzzing sound. These sounds are faint, but definitely can be heard without the radio or any heating/AC turned on. Overall, I am a bit disappointed and plan to take it back to the dealership to be looked at tomorrow. Is anyone else experiencing such issues with their new Avalon?