Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Avalon

12345679»

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    why not an "undressed" GS350 as a RWD Avalon??

Too small... now OTOH I like your thinking how about an "undressed" LS and instead of the V8 the 2GR-FSE (direct injection) V6 under the hood.... sign me up!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• There are several reasons we will never see a decontented GS350 to replace the Avalon. First and foremost is they need the FRONT Drive Camry as the base car. The Avalon has always used the last Camry subframe and the new one will be no exception. It is no coincidence that the 2011 Camry is also a new model leaving the old architecture to be the "new" stretched version of the 2011 Avalon. Also remember the GS is built in Japan, as Toyota has no rear wheel platforms in the USA it is virtually impossible based on the qty. for Avalon to go it alone as RWD. Remember the economies necessary to justify its existence side by side with the Camry in Kentucky. And although some people resent this characterization, RWD cars are not bought by our demographic. Avalon's age group prefers safe, non-skidding front drivers, not fish tailing RWD's regardless of how much anti swerve mechanics are built in, we will never give up FWD. And finally my favorite argument I always give. Toyota does not want another mid-sizer to be the flagship. Want proof. Look how poorly the Maxima does as flagship because it is the same size as the Altima. And the Acura RL is all but extinct as the flagship because it is virtually the same size as the TL.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    You know something, I can't honestly say, I have ever felt more comfortable driving a FWD car over a RWD car? And what's worst, I can't honestly say, I've ever noticed a difference, until I've TRIED to fishtail the rear while driving in the snow. I find that a bit weird and interesting now that folks mention it.

I've owned over 35 cars so far, with 3/4+ of them being RWD cars. The most recent (last 10 years or so) have been FWD cars (7 Toyotas a Honda and a chevy Vega that I'm not sure if that was FWD or RWD), the others, Pontiacs, (Catallina's, GTO) Buicks, (3 Park Avenue's, 1 GS) Ford (piece of shiet, Tempo), Chevys, (Vega, 66 Impale SS, Monte Carlo) Olds (Vista Crusie, Cutlass's) to name but a few. And I must admit, driving all of these cars while living in northern New England (Maine area) I can't say as I ever felt any more comfortabal or safer in any one of these cars, any more then the other, as far as RWD vs FWD.

In any case, I just hope they DO re-design the Avalon, and that it is a design I / we like, because I'll be looking to trade late this year.

Skip
  • kq0b1kq0b1 Posts: 14
    I keep reading these comparisons to the ES350 to the Avalon. I more or less compare the Avalon Limited to the ES460. Why compare - why not just buy the Lexus. I didn't consider the Lexus for the substantial increase in price and the ROI. I will not buy another RWD. I have owned many RWDs in the past and the fish-tailing and lack of control was not for me. Given the hump in the back of the Lexus and lack of difference in options why even consider the Lexus. Yes Toyota could do a lot to refine the Avalon but the ride is just great to me, along with the comfort level in the driver and passenger seat. My wife loves to ride in the back seat of my Limited and recline the seat - next thing I know she is dozing away either from the comfort of the seat or ignoring me -- ha ha. It is good to do comparisons but it gets boring listening and reading to the same thing over and over. I considered the Camry but did not like its' size. I still get stares at my 2009 Avalon Limited and it shows off good riding down the highway. So the long story is if you want a Lexus go get one and reduce the comparisons --- if it does not meat with your expectations there is a used car buyer out there that would snap up your Avalon up in a heartbeat! Cars are like computers top me; trade up every 3 years or so to get the technical advantages --- life is too short to worry about what could be.
  • The posts by toyman2 and kg0b1 are right on. There is a certain demographic out there (me included) who will never buy anything but FWD. The Avalon is a comfortable, roomy, vehicle with good performance and 30 MPG highway mileage.

If you want some different features, buy a Lexus or one of the host of other vehicles that are out there. Let's just keep the Avalon pretty much as is, and we will keep buying them!
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I agree with your feelings about comparisons. If you like a Lexus, buy a Lexus, if you like a Pinto, buy a Pinto. I have an '08 Avalon Ltd. and enjoy driving it and plan to keep it for a long time and I really don't care what other cars have. My other car is a '98 Sienna with 222K on it and heading towards 300K. I hope the Avalon can do the same. My first experience with FWD was in a '87 Ford Taurus. The first day I drove it I had to go to PA. I started out in an ice storm driving up over a mountain pass. Other cars were all twisted and in the woods and ditches but I keep going and when I got over the mountain there ended up being one foot of snow and I still keep going. I said to myself "I love FWD."
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    From the standpoint of having lived in New England (NH, MA, & PA) and the Pacific NW (MT, OR, WA), there are NO mountain passes in PA.
    That's right, it wasn't in PA.
  • WW, I think you are bashing tfelton just because he owns an Avalon, and likes it!

I have one, also, and I don't want it to be a Lexus, or Venza, or ...., etc.
    No, only because the only "passes" in the NE shouldn't be referred to as "mountain".
  • carlupicarlupi Posts: 52
    popsavalon is right, keep the Avalon as is. There is no better value in the car market today than the Avalon: reasonably priced; roomy; extremely comfortable, smooth, and reliable; unmatched fuel efficiency. Toyota would be foolish to change the new generation Avalon significantly. If it does, it will give up a whole segment of the market.
    You summed it up perfectly. Since I've got nothing else to do right now I'll explain how I bought my Avalon. Back in February 2008 I had my 1998 Sienna LE in at the Toyota dealership for service and repairs. While I was in the waiting room (which has comfy seats, big screen HD TV, coffee, and doughnuts) I got bored and wandered into the showroom. It was packed with Caddy's, SUVs, and pickups; but in the middle was this jewel which I fell in love with right away. It was an Avalon. I told my wife I just found the car of my dreams, looked it over, we took it for a test drive and I bought it. Comparisons with other cars didn't enter into it. As far as Lexus goes I knew the name but nothing else and never paid any attention to any of its models or what it offered. A 2008 Avalon Ltd. is a far cry from a 1998 Sienna LE. The Sienna is a basic car (by today's standards) without any electronic/automatic gadgets. The gadget feature I like the best on the Avalon is the electronic key with the pushbutton start. That is so neat. I also don't care what the new models will have. I plan to keep the Avalon a very long time. I even bought the XM Radio lifetime subscription. Any way, that's my story.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Replacing the mats will not solve the issue. So, that whole floor mat recall and pedal change is going to be a waste of time.
    Debate about the problem being caused driver error or confusion about which pedal is the brake and which is the accelerator can also be put to rest.
    No error codes were logged on the computers, so the dealers assume that means there was no problem.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2010/01/15/toyota-sudden-acceleration-in-reverse/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-avalon-displays-unintended-acceleration-witho- - - - ut-floor-mat.html
  • These articles definitely raise eyebrows! These incidents with sudden accelearation involve mostly 3rd generation Avalons (not the Camry, Prius, and other models affected by the floor mat getting stuck in the gas pedal). Thus, ruling out the floor mat as being the cause of these incidents. The cause of the incident in Texas has not yet been determined, according to the article. Article mentions the floor mats of the 2008 Avalon involved in this accident were found in the trunk. Not sure if anyone will be able to determine if sudden, unexpected acceleration was the cause of this particular accident. But they definitely can't blame the floor mats!

I heard that Toyota planned to install a new feature that will shut the engine off if both the accelerator and gas pedal are pushed at the same time. Not sure if and when Toyota will install this feature on 2010 and older cars that were affected by the so called recall, due to the floor mats and gas pedal being too long. I also read that Toyota will have this feature standard on all 2011 models.
  • "I heard that Toyota planned to install a new feature that will shut the engine off if both the accelerator and gas pedal are pushed at the same time."

I can see big issues been caused by such thinking, something happens like a deer runs in front of you and you panic, you pump the brake and pedal at the same time while trying to avoid making deer jerky and your engine shuts off....that is a friggin disaster waiting to happen.

There is an old feature to turn the engine off, its called an ignition key, no need to push any pedals, just turn it to the right and magically the engine shuts off.

I also see this idea as been crazy in that if you got a sudden burst of acceleration, say in a corner, and you shut that motor down suddenly, it would cause far more accidents and deaths than any good.

Toyota cannot possibly be this stupid.
    The idea would be to force the engine down to idle via the DBW system when the brake light switch activates, REGARDLESS of gas pedal position. If the engine didn't drop to idle immediately then a failsafe measure of EFI fuel cut might then be appropreate.

"..old feature.. ignition key.."

"Old" being the operative term, soon to be obsolete as maybe a follow-on term.

"...Toyota cannot possibly be this stupid..."

Past proven.

NOBODY should have to practice, LEARN, how to shut the engine down via holding the PB down for a number of seconds. A simple twist PB function should have been included. Push to start, counter-clockwise twist to shut the engine down. Or even a separate STOP PB.
    One can only imagine the condition of those transaxle clutches after so many shifts into drive with the engine operating at WOT....
    "..gadget feature...I like best...pushbutton start..."

Just be sure and practice, just in case, using that same PB, holding it depressed, to STOP the engine.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction with reporters, send me an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• nceencee Posts: 419
    "Accelerator and Gas pedals … aren't they the same?
  • In Aug traded an '04 Avalon for a '11 Avalon. The '11 has a more sloped rear window with more glare and not as good a view thru the mirror. The backseat headrests even in the most retacted position hinder the rear view. I have not used the retractible sun shade as that is allso a bit of an obstacle. Since the back seat is seldom used, I have removed the two rear seat headrests, keep them in a bag on the rear floor to reinstall for rear seat passengers and reinstall for annual state inspection. Obviouly, liked the rear mirror visibility better in the '04
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited January 2013
    I had an 03 than an 06 and yes that rear window isn't the best for seeing out of. You will get used to it. Except for front seat comfort the 05+ is a much better car than the 00-04.

Its a shame Toyota destroyed the Avalon with the 2013. They were great cars.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse