Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Torrent Stabilitrak and Traction Control Lights

ace331ace331 Posts: 1
I have a 07 Torrent bout 20k miles. The traction control light came on, and the panel says to service stabilitrak and traction control. It came on while I was stopped at a red light. Whenever I push on the gas the wheels wont spin til RPMs are about 3000, and barely at that. I was only a few blocks away so I was able to make it home fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• ellengelleng Posts: 33
    Yes I had the same issue and made an appointment to have it looked at but the next day the light went out so I never took it into the dealership.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Sounds like it might be the ABS wheel sensors.
  • I have an 07 that did the same thing but only after setting at idle for about 15 - 20 minutes at the bank. Took it to the dealer. Shut it off and it started right back up and the dealer said there were not error codes and if it did it again to drive it in and leave it running. It did it again and when I took it in left it running the dealer service rep shut it off. And same thing no error codes the next morning. 2nd time it had no power and barely made it to the dealer. Now it seems to have a miss at city speeds. Did yours do the same? Anyone else have this problem.
  • nemanema Posts: 1
    My 07 did the same thing - 20k miles. Wiring Harness had snapped in the front right tire. Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrak and ABS lights all on.
    DIdn't take much too fix - wish I new why/how it snapped.
  • The battery died so I got the vehicle boosted. When it started the stabilitrack states that it needs service and the power steering seems to have gone out. Not sure what happened. It is a 2008, low miles. Can anyone explain what happened? :confuse:
  • johnny60johnny60 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. 42,000 miles on an 07 Torrent. The dealer tells me he's never heard of a problem and they know nothing.
  • wbechardwbechard Posts: 2
    I had this problem on my '07 @ 35,000 kms just about a month ago. Torrent drove fine, just had the light on for a few days until it was cleared.

Dealership cleared the error, then applied a firmware update to the stabilitack module. They then had to re-calibrate all of my wheel sensors.
  • I had the same happen to a 2007 Torrent, at about 52000 miles. The dealer replaced an electronic control module, which part costs $400. I just also changed out my front struts and had the same dealer re-align all four wheels. The service stabilitrak and traction control light just came on again, but the dealer was too busy to look at it the same day. Next day the service lights are off again. Will wait to see if they come on again and bring to the dealer or Autozone for analysis.

Also, tip on replacing the struts. Struts and mounts are difficult to find for this year vehicle, but are available for the 2006 model. Make sure to replace the strut mounts as well... mine made lots of noise the first time I replaced one strut and not the strut mount. I found Monroe struts and mounts at Advance Auto Parts (again for 2006 model).
  • I found this TSB, which may be helpful:

NHTSA Item Number: 10028186
    Service Bulletin #: PIT-4756
    Replacement #:
    Vehicle/Equipment Make: PONTIAC
    Vehicle/Eqipment Model: TORRENT
    Model Year: 2007
    Mfg Component Code: 036400 SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT
    Date of Bulletin: 2008-11-01
    Date Added: 2009-03-13
    Summary: GENERAL MOTORS: ABS AND STABILITRAK LIGHTS ON DTC(S) U0121, C0550, C0186, C0196, C0710, C0252. THIS CONCERN CAN BE CAUSED BY WIRE HARNESS GOING TO EBCM, CHAFFING ON TRANSMISSION MOUNT OR METAL BRACKET. *PE

Other similar TSBs include:
    NHTSA# 10021080, Service Bulletin# 4260
    and NHTSA# 10023914, Service Bulletin# 070232009
  • I had the exact same problem with my '07 Torrent. Can you tell me if the problem was fixed? Mine is currently at the dealer. This is the second time the power steering has gone out.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,086
    englishteach1,

Have you contacted GM Customer Assistance regarding the problems you have been experiencing? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • The problem isn't the stability trac I just had the same problem on a 2008 torrent and the problem ended up being a dead cell in my battery
  • I'm having the same issue with our 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP (front wheel drive). The issue first started with only 30k miles on the odometer. As previously stated, once you turn the car off and start it back up the code would disappear. The code came back on within a few 100 miles, so we decided to take it to the dealer. Five separate trips to the same dealership spanning over a month and the issue is still there. Action items performed thus far, all by dealership are:

- CODE 131
    - Steering Angle Sensor
    - Realigned Toe and Caster
    - BFP Sensor
    - Brake Pressure Modulator Valve Replacement
    - BPP Sensor Replaced and Retested
    - Found Internal Short In the EBCM - Reprogrammed the module
    - Re-calibrated Steering Angle Position

Our next step was to contact GM Customer Service on getting this issue resolved. We've talked to them twice, now we have been waiting for 2 weeks for a "follow-up", hopefully resolution call. In the mean time, we gave up on that dealership and have taken our vehicle to another dealership to solve this issue.

We are nearing the end of our warranty and would hate to be stuck with the bill of repairs for something that first occurred while under warranty. I will provide any updates as they come along. Maybe user bg3075 is onto something, I will mention this to the service rep.
  • It looks like you already have a case going, 08torrentgxp. If you wanted to forward the reference number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us at socialmedia@gm.com, we can check into the progress of your case for you.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • We'll be sending you an email shortly with the requested information. There is some additional information that I have left out this post concerning the repairs performed while trying to chase down this issue. We will include the details in the email we are sending you along with the case reference number.
  • Update....

Yesterday we took our Torrent to the other dealership (let's call it Dealership B), hoping for better results. I mentioned the service bulletin noted by bg3075, but the service rep dismissed it, because the years did not match up (we have a 2008 vs a 2007). Dealership B is well aware of all previous work performed on our vehicle and decided to do the following:

- Re-calibrated the brake pedal switch and the steering angle sensor

The car was good for one day (approx. 40 miles), then the Service Traction Control Service Stabilitrak message appeared once more on the Driver Information Center (DIC). Dealership B would like for us to bring the car in again to take another look at the vehicle tomorrow. The saga continues....hopefully GM Customer Service will help us out.
  • I have had this continual problem with my 07 Torrent FWD since I bought the vehicle new in Dec of 2007. It has been in a couple different dealerships nearly a dozen times for this and several other problems.

The power steering doesn't engage on startup and/or various warning lights for the Traction Control, Stabilitrak, Charging System, Reduced Engine Power, start coming on and then anywhere from 1 week - 3 months my battery will completely fail.

Currently my vehicle has been diagnosed by a GM Tech as having an 'undiagnosable electrical issue' that results in intermittent battery drain and failure. I was told there was nothing more they could do without keeping the car for several weeks in order to monitor it. The dangerous part is that on two occasions I have been driving with my children in the vehicle and the electrical systems start dying. I have had the car 5 years and it currently on it's 5th battery. The Service Stabilitrak warning started showing yesterday (Oct 23, 2012) so I am anticipating having to replace the battery again soon. Luckily the batteries never even get close to being out of warranty.

I had opened a case with GM in February 2012 after my 4th battery replacement. The only thing they would do is offer me a unspecified amount, but no more than $1000, off the purchase of a new vehicle. However, eventually I stopped getting updates on what was going on with my claim and the rep stopped returning my calls.

If anyone finds a resolution to this issue please let me know. I would love to get this fixed.
  • silversub122,

If you had wanted for us to check into what happened with your previous Service Request, we would be happy to check that out. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, as well as your name and contact information, to socialmedia@gm.com

• Hey silversub122. Just to let you know, we are still talking to GM Customer Service as well trying to see what they can do for us as the first shop, Dealership A, did some sketchy work on our vehicle. Now under startup our vehicle blows a puff of blue smoke, as if oil is making it's way pass the cylinder rings and onto the top of the piston.

So after taking the car back to Dealership B again, they diagnosed our problem as the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Apparently this piece was defective from the beginning and Dealership A, for whatever reason, decided to work backwards on the service bulletin provided to fix this issue. The Tech from Dealership B, speculated that Dealership A probably worked backwards, because this part did not exist in GM's inventory anymore. The piece we now have in our vehicle was specially made just to fix our issue. We have driven our Torrent about 150 miles and one week without the Service Stabilitrak Service Traction Control from appearing on the Driver Information Center (DIC) screen. I'll update this post if it does come back on.

I'm still very concern about the puff of blue smoke I see during startup that appeared after Dealership A had their hands on our Torrent. I'll be monitoring the oil levels and the amount of smoke for any unusual changes. We are still hoping that GM Customer Service will negotiate with us on something to help us keep this vehicle. If not, we may just have to leave the General. Standing behind your product, and making customers happy goes along way, especially with sources like the internet that can get your voice out there.
  • Thank you Sarah, I have sent the requested information to the email address indicated.

A new development on my ongoing saga - I have now begun seeing the 'Service Airbag' warning indicator as well.

These warning indicators appear and disappear each time I start the vehicle. Sometimes I get more than one, sometimes none at all. Sometimes they stay on until I turn off the vehicle, other times they will go off while I'm driving.

At this point I want to get rid of this car. As much as I liked it in the beginning, all these constant warning lights, electrical and mechanical system failures, and the fact that I can't even take it through a car wash without getting water pouring through the A-pillars like a garden hose has completely soured me on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, dealers will only offer about half of the Kelly Blue Book value for trade-in because 'the brand is no longer being produced' and anyone with the ability to get a Carfax report can see all the problems it has had, so I'm stuck.
  • I've had these exact same problems. I bought my 07 Torrent AWD and it had 8000 miles on it. It now has 85000 but I have been plagued by these lights coming on since I've owned the piece of junk. Dealers tell you they cant tell you anything if the light isnt on when you bring it in. I recently found out that before I bought the vehicle it had problems with the stabilitrack system and had been completely replaced before I bought the vehicle. I've had it into service multiple times. They've tried reprogramming the computer, replacing a connector, and I'm not sure what else but the problem always resurfaces. Lately the service airbag light comes on sometimes as well. It usually goes away when u shut it off and let it sit awhile and restart it. And then maybe 2 miles down the road or 200 miles down the road it will come back on. I also have problems with the rear wiper on the vehicle. Sometimes when u push the button it does nothing. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it and THEN push the rear wiper button then it works. It all just seems like horrible electical issues to me. I'm sure one of these days it will leave me stranded somewhere. I just wish I could get someone to actually help me resolve the issue.
    ronniefannin,
    If we can check into what has been done with your dealership already to see if there is anywhere we can go from here, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• I have a 2008 Torrent and I keep getting the same service lights on. This has to be a design problem. Why has GM not recalled these trucks???
    cddrums,
    Are you planning on getting this checked into? If you decide to work with a GM dealership, we're available to assist in that process and can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership with a brief recap of the situation).

• I recently purchases a 2008 Pontiac Torrent about 5 weeks ago. No problems until this weekend. I am now getting "Service Stabilitrack" warning light and a "Service Traction Control" warning light. The vehicle began to miss bad during my driving time while these lights began flashing on my dashboard. Wasn't sure what to do. I was able to park the vehicle for about 3 hours and the lights didn't come on immediately but tried to once I restarted it again. All seemed well but now the "traction control" light stays on. Not sure if this is normal, do you? I did take the vehicle to be washed at a local coin operated car wash 2 days before these warning lights came on and I'm thinking the Pontiac began missing while driving at about 30 MPH ever since I took a car wash hose to it to clean off salt from snow the other day. Any advice? Thanks-Nita
  • I just bought a 2008 Pontiac Torrent 6 weeks ago (81,000 miles) on it and love it. However, as of this weekend, it is starting to miss while driving about 30 miles per hour. My Traction Control Light is on as well as the Stabilitrack Service Light. I took the vehicle through the car wash 2 days ago and I believe this is when it began to miss/hesitate while driving at a low speed. Were you able to find solultions to your similar problems with this vehicle? Thanks, Nita
    Hopefully you get some input from the community soon, Nita. If you decide to get this checked out with a GM dealer and would like for us to do any follow-up on the appointment, please be sure to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).

• Hopefully, my Torrent is now fixed after service warning lights for Traction Control and Stability were displayed. Also, my vehicle was bucking and almost stalling when driving about 40 miles per hour. These lights disappeared once the battery was disconnected. The bucking and stalling still continued even after an EGR valve was replaced for $302.00. Come to find out....all I needed was a plug. Callibar 5 went out. Didn't cost me a penney for the plug since the vehicle has a manufacturer warranty up to 100,000 miles (but I was out the $302.00--and I doubt if I really needed that EGR valve). -Nita
    Glad to hear your Torrent has been fixed, nitaboyer! All the best in this new year!

• I too have a 2008 Pontiac Torrent with about 90,000 miles. The service stability track light, traction control, and right front tire pressure lights just started showing up. Today, my car starting swerving from side to side while going around a corner all by itself! I couldn't control this with my steering wheel and there was oncoming traffic. What is up with this? I thought we were going to be really injured or die. No recalls?