Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Torrent Stabilitrak and Traction Control Lights

13»

Comments

• I have a 2009 Pontiac Torrent with low engine power and stabilitrak thing. I am afraid to take it to the dealer because I went once for it and it was the thermostat and they cleaned the throttle sensor and now seeing all the issues with it I am worried about how much this is going to cost. Has anyone figured out why this keeps happening?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,240

I have a 2009 Pontiac Torrent with low engine power and stabilitrak thing. I am afraid to take it to the dealer because I went once for it and it was the thermostat and they cleaned the throttle sensor and now seeing all the issues with it I am worried about how much this is going to cost. Has anyone figured out why this keeps happening?

Hi tricia,

We understand you're hesitant to visit the dealership because of the possible cost of repairs. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and certainly recognize this is inconvenient. If you'd like to send your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and dealer name via private message, we'll gladly contact them on your behalf to further discuss your concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • How do I send a personal message to you Amber?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,382

How do I send a personal message to you Amber?

Click on her membername.. and, you'll see options...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

How do I send a personal message to you Amber?

Just sent a response via private message, tricia! I look forward to speaking with you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • wielzwielz Posts: 1
    had stabilitrack light, come on, first time, wheel speed sensor, second time I put on a cheep EGR valve and then that lasted a year, then the light came on again and put on a better quality EGR valve, The seatbelt light is always coming on, I replaced the rear wiper motor, main fuse for the power steering, sensor on the canister box, drive shaft cause there to stupid to put on grease fittings, both front wheel bearings, now its starting to use oil, overall a cheep rattle box, I don't think I will be buying another GM product
  • ajones10ajones10 Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem. My torrent has been in the shop 4 times in the past 2 months each for 5-7 days at a time.  Replaced throttle sensor, changed wires and again today after getting my SUV back 2 days ago I was faced with the stabilitrak light followed by reduced power.  Unfortunately it is not under warranty so all of these repairs are out of my pocket which is not deep enough to mess with going to the shop again.  Even tried more than 1 mechanic to see what they had to say.  Each trip to mechanic is $600+ and getting rediculous!! Not to mention I am terrified to drive my vehicle.  This just started in January after owning the vehicle for 4 years.  Not sure what else to have them look at?  I agree that gm needs to do something as I am clearly not the only one who has had this happen on the interstate at highway speed.
  • korsby1korsby1 Posts: 1
    I've had the WORST 2 weeks of my life trying to get my 07 Torrent fixed. It started with an overheating issue that took 4 trips between 2 shops installing new thermostat, manifold, and complete coolant flush to "resolve". But after the 4th visit, my Stablitrac and check engine lights came on and my Power steering went out. I was told that my Power Steering is computer controlled and that it would cost almost $900 to replace (parts+labor). Is there anything else that i can check before I have to take out a small loan just for auto repairs?
  • sarah7964sarah7964 Posts: 1
    Terrific. It looks I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I loved my car up until I started having all these little annoying things go wrong. The rear passenger door's lock will sometimes work and sometimes not. I took it in last year for that exact reason, and it was fixed. Now, it's out of warranty, and it's still doing the same thing. Today, the stabilitrak light came on along with the ABS light. Maybe I missed the answer, but why haven't they done a recall because of this? 
  • mary_78mary_78 Posts: 1
    i have the same problem as everyone else the stabilitrak light and engine light comes i just had thottle body oxygen sensors, front struts,stabilize pins,brakes fronts and back, wheel hub on both side front,even a horn put on this truck = when this was perform the lights came on after i got on the highway going about 60 mph , came off to stand still lights came on and haven't went off i do need spark plugs and wires so i'm going to put them on and then hope of lights going off if not it's time to put in for a small claim against General motor because when that stabilitrak comes on and the steering wheel acts up you can terribly have a accident to where there will cause death to people riding in that car you are responsible for those lives. And before it happens GM has the power to fix it at a cost that will not hurt them but if death happen while under these conditions well it want be good for GM, so i advise you people on these blogs to print them out and the number of complaint it's enough to start a claim or send them all to GM and then to who ever in the News Channel or even the President of the United States because they gave them loans of the peoples money so let make them do something ya'll don't wait for some body to die before doing something.

• gillsgills Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem! It has happened 6 times over the past 4 months. The check stabilitrak light comes on, then engine power is reduced and the check engine light is on. Usually things go back to normal within 24-48 hours except for the check engine light which I reset myself. I have very nearly been rear ended as a result of this happening on the highway. I haven't taken it to anyone yet because GM said I would have to get a diagnostic done and I really don't want to pay for that to be told everything is fine. I also need my car daily for radiation treatments that are 30 minutes away. Is it even worth taking it in since so many people say the problem continues?
  • feli2feli2 Posts: 1
    My service traction control light and stabilitrak light came on today, and these comments scare me. I just bought it two months ago and already had to replace the battery. Just hit 84k miles. Not only am I terrified of steering going out, but I can't afford to bleed a bunch of money into it. I feel like I made a huge mistake buying it. Will anyone let me know if there were any recalls?
    Hi feli2,

I certainly understand how frustrating vehicle concerns can become for an owner. We can look into your vehicle's history for you. Please send us a message including your VIN and current mileage for additional information about your inquiry. I look forward to your response and working with you. Have a great weekend.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care
  • pont_ownerpont_owner Posts: 3
    I bought my car just a few months ago and it was working perfectly fine until last week at one point it felt like it would feel when you're skidding on ice... then abs light, and the stabilitrak and traction control message came on... 
    It doesn't seem like anyone posted a real solution aside from everyone suggesting that gm should do a recall.
    How do I go about fixing this thing? I have children I take in the car and it is dangerous if that skidding thing happens again, I just don't feel safe in this car.
    Please advise.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: US 25 & US 40Posts: 19,220
    What message did it show in the driver information center, if it has one?

If the ABS light is staying on, the ABS, stabilitrak, and traction control
    are not working. It should disable them. So there won't be any false
    attempts to stop wheel spin, e.g..
    Yes all of those are on. I don't understand your last statement...
    imidazol97 said:
    What message did it show in the driver information center, if it has one? If the ABS light is staying on, the ABS, stabilitrak, and traction control are not working. It should disable them. So there won't be any false attempts to stop wheel spin, e.g..

Hi pont_owner,

We're truly sorry to hear your ownership experience hasn't been the best. We see you're requesting additional information from another forum member with regard to your Torrent concerns. This forum is full of great advice from different members, ready to assist you with your vehicle. If you would like for us to reach out to a local dealership to assist you, let us know. Send your VIN, full contact info with the name of the dealer via private message to investigate your concern further.

Marlea W.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    gmcustsvc said:
    Hi pont_owner, We're truly sorry to hear your ownership experience hasn't been the best. We see you're requesting additional information from another forum member with regard to your Torrent concerns. This forum is full of great advice from different members, ready to assist you with your vehicle. If you would like for us to reach out to a local dealership to assist you, let us know. Send your VIN, full contact info with the name of the dealer via private message to investigate your concern further. Marlea W. Chevrolet Customer Care
    How do I send you this info privately?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,382

gmcustsvc said:

Hi pont_owner,

We're truly sorry to hear your ownership experience hasn't been the best. We see you're requesting additional information from another forum member with regard to your Torrent concerns. This forum is full of great advice from different members, ready to assist you with your vehicle. If you would like for us to reach out to a local dealership to assist you, let us know. Send your VIN, full contact info with the name of the dealer via private message to investigate your concern further.

Marlea W.
    Chevrolet Customer Care

How do I send you this info privately?

Click on any member's name and it will take you to their home page. From there, you can send a private message.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ruby4233ruby4233 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Torrent and 2 1/2 months ago the Service Traction Control, Check Engine and Reduced Engine Power lights came on. Took it to the shop said it was the Throttle Position Sensor that was dirty. They cleaned it, replaced some wires and everything was fine. A few days later it happened again, replaced the TPS this time. Lasted about a week, happened again. Replaced the Throttle Body Assembly. Then a week or so later the ABS and Traction Control lights started coming on. ABS would engage when braking from slow speeds. I let this go for a couple a little bit because at this point I had already spent about $600 in repairs in less than a month, couldn't afford another trip to the shop. Then Reduced Engine Power happened again. Some gasket as leaking and had that replaced. Then it all happened AGAIN. HAd Wheel Speed Sensors replaced. The shop even insulated the TPS because they said that was the only code the car is throwing, even though it was just replaced. They said that water and leaves and things are getting into the area where the TPS is and causing it to throw the code and go into limp mode. After that it was about 2 days before ABS issue started again. That went on for a couple weeks before limp mode came back. Disconnecting and then reconnecting the TPS worked to get it out of limp mode for a while. Then last night it happened again and nothing helped. The engine even stopped turning over. The car is DEAD. Two and a half months and over $1000 later I now have a big paperweight that I still have payments on.
    I can't count the number of times I have almost been in an accident because of this issue. And obviously I'm not the only one. This is because something is wrong with this car. A recall would be nice but I doubt that will happen. (Don't even get me started on the blend door issue from a few years ago that is also common and causes loss of heat and defrosting.) This car is a death trap and I can't wait to get rid of it!
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet that actually fixes it?!?!
  • I'm so ANGRY now after reading all these posts!! I am having the same exact problem with my 08 Torrent. Just purchased in Feb and we had it in there within 2 weeks for the stabilitrak issue .. 4 months later, it's in the shop for the 4th time. Im terrified to drive it for fear it may die in the middle of the street or highway, I have children i transport here and there, I've been missing work because I can't get there - makes it hard to make the car payments, ya know??  I am unsure what to do next and judging from these posts, it doesnt seem like there's anything TO do. We are not even 6 months in to our 6 year contract and Im sobbing because there doesnt seem to be anything we can do. It's our only car and we can't afford another. Do I even bother contacting GM since i dont see any solutions being posted .. No sucess stories. I work for attorneys - maybe that's the way to go. Anyone having ANY luck with repairs or help from GM?? 
  • ngtrider42ngtrider42 Posts: 1
    I got a 2008 Pontiac torrent  with 125000 miles on it and just recently the stability AK light came on...took it to my mechanic and they reset it and said ifit comes on again they will find out what's going on....the light came on today along with the engine light and they said that it was the egr valve...I replaced my gas cap and drove it around and the engine light went off and now my passenger airbag sensor light came on...can anyone help me out on what to do
  • I bought my brother’s 2007 Pontiac Torrent with ~68,000 miles about 1.5 months ago and have been having the same types of problems as everyone else. My brother got the car used 4-5 years ago and had spark plug # 5 replaced (this was one of the recalls I believe) and replaced the battery about 2 years ago. Aside from these two things, he claimed he’d had no issues. He only used the vehicle for back-up and drove it to work 1-2 times a week and occasionally used it for short day trips.

Two weeks after I started driving the car, I noticed the “Service Air Bag” light sporadically turn on and off. I also noticed diminished A/C power-the A/C would be on full blast and behaving as though it were on low and its power would randomly increase at times but for the most part, seemed underpowered. About one month into owning the vehicle, I was stopped at a redlight when suddenly I felt a small jolt. It felt like my car had stalled out but it hadn’t, and when I began to drive again the “Service Stabilitrak and Service Traction Control” lights went on. My vehicle felt like it had less power from then on. Later on that day, I was sitting parked in my car for about 3 minutes when the “Engine Hot-A/C Off” light came on. From there, my A/C then turned off and I couldn’t get it to turn back on. I checked the temperature gauge on my dash and it hadn’t elevated at all. The A/C didn’t work again until I started driving.

I thought that perhaps the A/C could just need a recharge, so later that same day I attempted to get that done and in the process my car had been idling for ~15 minutes and the “Engine Hot-A/C off” button came on again and the temperature gauge on my dash increased to its max. I then noticed that the fans weren’t working at all. Previously I had noted them working when at rest so I knew that this was a more recent occurrence. I then checked the fan and A/C relays and they were fine.

I stopped driving the car regularly after that and made an appointment with a dealership to have it looked at. That appointment is in 4 days from now. I am hoping to get in touch with a GM rep who can assist in this matter.
    In the meantime, I drove the car around for ~20 minutes and the temperature gauge on my dash started increasing. When I returned home, I checked the car’s battery life with a voltmeter which told me it had low battery. I then recharged it. The next day I went to unlock the car with the clicker and it didn’t work-I had to unlock it with the key. Then the electric locks on the door didn’t work and I knew the battery had died. Since the battery was purchased only two years ago, this concerns me given everyone else’s complaints. I question if these issues will ever be remedied completely, but hope for the best.
  • I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent and this weekend my traction control light started coming on. My husband said it sounded a little weak with him when he turned the key. I have not had any other lights come on, but the TC light came on again this morning with me. Any suggestions on this problem? Could it be a simple fix? I don't have the extra money to put it in the shop.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 47,542
    Maybe you could get a free scan at Autozone or OReilly's. It might give you the hint you need. Hopefully just a wheel sensor, but there are a lot of possibilities.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

13»