Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Torrent Stabilitrak and Traction Control Lights

2»

Comments

• How did you get the vehicle to stop swerving? You really should report this to Pontiac-GMC. So dangerous. Seems like I've read about this type of problem with Torrents elsewhere. Someone needs to take the first steps in reporting that type of problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    mkeinath,

If you would like for us to check for any open recalls on your vehicle, or to help in the process of working with a dealership to get this checked into, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I have a Pontiac Torrent which has been serviced for traction control and loss power no less than 3 times since buying the truck new in 2007. Unfortunately the problem has occurred again, 4th time. The truck was fixed 3 times under the factory and extended warranty although each time I had to pay to have the computer flashed. It is covered under the warranty but still having to pay to get the vehicle back which is ridiculous. They claim everything else is covered under the warranty but flashing isn't covered although they claim the throttle body wont work without being flashed. None the less, I am now faced with having to have it "repaired" again and wondering do I take it back to the dealer who I bought the vehicle from and "repaired" it on the 3 previous occasions or try a Chevy dealer since the vehicle is essentially the same as the Eqinox. I love he truck when it is running correctly, but tired of my wife getting stuck. The problem occurred twice when she was on the highway and almost caused an accident when she's driving on the highway and the power is suddenly reduced. The dealer claims on all 3 previous occasions the problem was caused by a faulty throttle body. It according to the dealer they solved the problem by replacing it. I Can't understand if others are having his same problem why a permanent solution hasn't been found to correct it. i wonder are the replacement throttle bodies faulty also. Unfortunately it is no longer covered by the warranty so in addition to the $100 + for the flashing ill have to pay for the throttle body and labor to get it fixed.
    daggers,
    If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • christmas day my control panel displayed "service stabilitrak and traction control" and my tracktion control light can on as did my check engine light. Two days later they went off and then came back on. I do not have lose of power or control issues. When its was hooked up to a tested it said my EGR valve was bad and then the light went off and stayed off for a week and then came back on. I have not taken it back to be put on the tester yet. how do you service this?
    Good morning jay_bird,
    Are you looking to resolve this on your own, or with a dealership? If the latter, we're available to help you through that process. Keep us posted!

• jl21jl21 Posts: 1
    This is EXACTLY the problem I am having. I had the EGR valve replaced and the engine light came on 8 hrs. later. Was there any resolution to this??? The on and off has been going on about 4 mos. I am working with a Chevy dealership.
  • I would like to try and fix myself. I can not afford to take it to the dealership all the time. Being a woman the price automatically doubles....
    jl21,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • neo3979neo3979 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. Here in last couple of days the stabilitrac light comes and and says reduced power. turn the truck off of a couple of hours it goes away. works find when its dry. seem to only come on when the weather is cold, raining, or snow. I do not have much money to get this fix by the dealer since its out of warranty. is there anything i can do to fix this.
  • lapnatlapnat Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem since January 2013 with my 2009 Pontiac Torrent, on January 28, the lights came on and power was reduced to 40 km/h when I was doing 120 on the highway, brought it to the dealership for fixing, the replaced the throttle body and flashed computer under warranty. Car worked fine until March 3 when the lights came back on (repair Stabilitrak and traction systems but no power loss, good thing cause I was again on the highway), brought it in this morning, they replaced the EGR valve and flashed the computer again, again under warranty...need to take the highway tonight, hopefully it doesn't come back. Seems the problem affects all Torrents since 2006, you would think they would find a fix that works after such time.
    Good afternoon lapnat,
    I see you're using kilometers per hour as your unit of measurement - are you writing from outside of the United States? If you would like for us to get information for you on customer service in your region, let us know.

• The issue with the traction control and the stablitrak seems to be a known issue and that a lot of people with this vehicle are having this problem. In addition to these issues I am currently having an issue with my all wheel drive, my abs is light is on and the check engine light is on because of a cylinder misfire issue. I have had my torrent into the dealer to be services several times for different issues from the traction control and stablitrak being serviced to the paint peeling within a year of having it. When the paint peeling issue was taken care if it was not done well and looks awful to this day. my car is out of warranty now and I'm at a loss for words about the several issues pccuring at once with this car. Since some of the issues seem to be issues that a lot of people are having I would have thought gm would have sent out some type of recall or a special service plan for the known issues.
  • stef11stef11 Posts: 1
    Yes I had the same issue Torent 2008 just problems.I spent more than 5000 for repairs.Today I was in the garage and the next issue,and again $ 800.SPARK PLUG WIRES NEED REPLACING,BODY / PAINT PROBLEMS,AIR BAGS PROBLEMS and 1000 more. Hopeless car.
  • hking44hking44 Posts: 2
    This just happened to me again tonight. I was stopped at a light it's pouring rain out. The car started shaking hard but no lights came on. The light turned green I went and it seemed fine. I pulled over and stopped and it seemed fine. I got on the highway and less than 5 mins the service stabilitrak service warning cane on. This happened a couple of years ago also and I took it to the dealership for service under warranty. The car has 128k and is no longer under warranty. This is obviously a problem. Why hasn't GM recalled this??
  • hking44hking44 Posts: 2
    I just had a 125,000 mile service done. All the spark plugs and wires replaced a month ago!
  • I purchased my 2007 Torrent less than 3 months ago. Last night after stopping for gas I started my car and the warning lights came on about the stabilitrack and I had NO power steering. I shut off the car hoping it would reset but had to drive home with NO power steering. Next morning car started with full steering, error light still on but then shut off a few miles down the road. I drove the car straight to the dealer. A week before while on a road trip I was on the highway running about 80 mph when a weird feeling in the steering started I looked at the dashboard and it said I was only doing 40mphs and I had to pull off the road shut off the car and it reset it self. I am sad to see All of these similar reports!!!!!! Have a great dealer who is trying to help with contacting GM. Sad and not feeling this is a safe car to drive!!!!!!
  • I bought a 2008 Torrent brand new in 2009. It had 200 miles on it because it had to be driven from Virginia to WV, to the dealership where I bought it. As soon as I got it home from the dealership it started to fall apart. Back wiper motor grounded, had to replace battery in 4 months, six disc cd stereo started to act up and would not eject or play cds. Also steering column started to make bad noise, and vibrate badly. With about 15,000 miles seal between motor and transmission started leaking transmission fluid. Now service airbag light comes on everytime someone sits in passenger seat. It goes on and off, on and off. Oh, and the back seats stopped laying down at about 20,000 miles. Locked up on the inside. And, the front passenger side seat won't adjust because it is locked up also. Now, the ABS light stays on, and the service traction control light is on. Plus, the stabilitrak service light just came on. 75,000 miles on vehicle. This is pitiful! I have never bought a brand new car that was a lemon right from the get go! CFrom reading the other posts, it seems that others are having similar problems. Some sound dangerous or life threating. This only leads me to ask one question: "No recall GM?" All I can say is "Lesson learned GM." Never again will I own a GM product! And I purchase many vehicles. I am like many hard working people who can not afford to keep running back and forth to a dealership and paying high repair bills because a warranty has run out. And, I can't afford to let my family to be in an unsafe Pontiac Torrent.

• Hi, I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and this Stabilitrack warning keeps coming on and off. I'm not sure if it is having any impact while driving, but reading the posts above I am a bit scarred. We did go to the dealer and they want $120 just to check what is wrong - why we are getting this message. Given all these posts, seems GM should perform this check for no charge, and then let me know what is going on. Seems like a recall might be justified.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261

Well you have to scan the car for trouble codes, otherwise you're working in the dark. Perhaps you can get a free scan at Autozone. Might just be a simple sensor issue.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• viar4viar4 Posts: 1
    edited February 26

I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent also. A friend was changing a fuse and the next thing I knew, the check stabilitrak, check traction control and ABS lights are all on. Continualy. I took it to a mechanic and no error codes are found. Wondering if panel just needs reset, and what the dealership is going to take me for. I know they wont just reset. Any ideas?

@viar4 said: I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent also. A friend was changing a fuse and the next thing I knew, the check stabilitrak, check traction control and ABS lights are all on. Continualy. I took it to a mechanic and no error codes are found. Wondering if panel just needs reset, and what the dealership is going to take me for. I know they wont just reset. Any ideas?

Hi viar4,

If you'd like to send us your VIN and zip code, I'd be happy to call your local dealership to try and get a better idea of the repair costs. Without them physically seeing your vehicle I can't guarantee that it'll be the exact price, but would be able to get a general idea. If interested, please private message me the requested information and I'd be happy to help.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• Im having the exact same problem with my 2007 torrent,stability trak comes on ,then low engine power,very dangerous when driving on the highway,i almost got rear-ended when she dropped from 100kms an hour to 30.This problem should be fixed by GM.Had an engine misfire,and found a recall for this problem,fixed by the dealer for free.They replaced the #5 plug and the wires.Wish they would recall the stability trak,seems alot of people are having problems with it.Souldnt have to wait until someone gets hurt for this problem to be rectified.

• jmosierjmosier Posts: 1

I have a 2007 torrent as well. The stability trak comes on, low power and the check engine light comes on. I was told that it was the Throttle Assembly causing the issue. Replaced it and did fine for 24 hours and then it started again. Now they say that it is the Throttle Sensor on the gas pedal. The dealership said they have had many complaints about this and does not understand why GM does not do something about it.

• stjtiresstjtires Posts: 1

I have a 2007 Torrent and an automotive shop. I have had the "service stabilitrak & service traction control" and chugging issues for 2 years. I spoke with the shop manager at our local GM dealership who informed me that the EGR valve has been redesigned and that I should put an AC Delco one in my car due to those changes. My ASE GM certified brother-in-law & husband will be changing it today. Fingers crossed.

• norma12norma12 San AntonioPosts: 2
    edited September 1
    I have the same problem I have 2007 Pontiac torrent stabilitrak traction system I lose power and suv doesn't move there cars coming in back of me I scared to drive truck dose anybody know if there vehicle was repair and what was the problem because they can't from my problem. Can someone reponse to if there vehicle was fix. [Email remove] can someone please let me know someone.
  • norma12norma12 San AntonioPosts: 2
    edited September 2
    Can someone help me please on 2007 Pontiac torrent having problems with my stabilitrak traction control system [Email removed][Phone number removed]

We certainly understand your concerns, norma12, and we're sorry for the trouble you've experienced with your vehicle. If you're interested in having this issue checked at your local GM dealership, we'd be happy to connect you with a service adviser who can help address this matter. If interested, please private message us your VIN, mileage and contact information.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

@norma12 said: Can someone help me please on 2007 Pontiac torrent having problems with my stabilitrak traction control system [Email removed][Phone number removed]

• rlogierlogie Posts: 1

I too have this problem. Yesterday was the 4th time the stabilitrac, traction control light comes on. The first time I had power loss on an American highway in Ohio, the second 2 I had full power loss on the 401 and Gardiner expressway in Toronto. Last night was the fourth on the 401 again. Throttle body replaced first, then an abs sensor then something else the last time. Band aid solution for something seriously wrong!?  I wondering if it will take my self or another to be injured (God forbid) because of this known issue to get GM to fess up and fix the root problem and not these band aid solutions!!!

2»