Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Starting and Stalling Problems

patpat Posts: 10,421
Are you having any starting or stalling problems with your Sentra? We can talk about them here.

Comments

• jrizzjrizz Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Nissan Sentra SE-R spec v and it is having both problems. My car won't start but I have power. It cranks over but will not fire. I have 12 volts everywhere I can test and I still can't get it to start. I towed it to the dealership and this guy wiggled a wire and it started. the next day the engine cut out on the freeway and I had to tow it home. I can't get my obd2 reader to pull any codes. I have tested if it is getting spark and it is. What in the wide, wide world of sports is a going on here!
  • citybeachcitybeach Posts: 1
    I have an 03 sentra. I just changed the battery because I have had to jump start it a number of times. But after changing the battery, it does not start. At first, the lights worked but the car would not turn over. Minutes later, I tried again, and nothing worked---no lights, no clicking, nothing. I've been told that it could be a starter problem, or that the alternator fuse may be shot. Any other suggestions?
  • slvwinoslvwino Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm new to posting but not new to the site. Just yesterday I was having the same problems with my 04 sentra spec v. It would start but then if I cut it off and try to start it again, nothing. It was so bad that I even left it running while I ordered some fast food and it just cut off! I took it to a mechanic and he told me that it wasn't getting any spark, and that the cam sensor and crank sensor went dead. Anybody else get official word on their problems yet? And any help would be grateful. Oh and the guy says that it will cost me $307.61 to get it fixed. :cry: :sick:
  • Hello everyone!! I hope someone can help answer my question!

I have a '96 Nissan Sentra GLE. For the past 2-3 years (I've only had this happen to me about 5 times total). When going down the road, my car will all of a sudden just stall/die. The engine will just completley shut off leaving me with hardly any brakes and stearing to control my car. I've noticed that it only happens when it is somewhat hotter out and when I am getting low on gas (but not when my red light is on). The most it's ever done this is 2 times in 1 day. Once I finally come to a complete stop and am able to put it in Park, I can then start my car and off I go!!! Not only is this annoying but dangerous as I loose a lot of my brakes and steering. Please let me know if anyone else is having this issue!! Any suggestions anyone????
  • I own a 04 Sentra 1.8S. I have had starting problems from the first few months. When I tried to start up the car, the lights would go on and the car would crank, but engine would not start up. I brought the car back to the dealership 3 times and they told me there is no problem. "It is normal for the engine to start up after 4 or 5 tries." I told my friends and they said it's BS. I lived with that for 4 years (37K miles) and last year the battery died. I changed it at Sears and the startup improved a bit but it was still not perfect.(took 2 to 3 tries). 2 months or so after I replaced the battery, I brought the car into the dealership for free inspection and oil change. The rep told me that my radiator was leaking and my head gasket was loose and that the car is dangerous (40K miles). Rep also said the head gasket was still under warranty so I told them to just fix both. I did some research online during the week that my car was in the shop and found out the starting problem might have to do with the gasket leaking and sure enough, after replacing them, the startup problem pretty much went away. It takes 1-2 tries now. I think I had a lemon to begin with but Nissan wouldn't fix it for u unless they can charge you something. I have other problems with this sentra but since they are not related to the startup issue, I won't take up space here... but I have to say, I don't know how much longer I should keep this car. It already costs me 1500 this year in repairs and "maintenance"
  • Same problem here! No start up and stalled.

I got stuck on the freeway once after my 04 Sentra shut off unexpectedly after coming to a stop because of traffic. All I can say is that experience was horrible! I almost got hit several times after traffic flow resumed.

Nissan seems to have a problem with emissions systems. I had to replace several parts that I later learned where under and extended warranty (150000 miles). Its been a hassle to get my money back. No one is willing to help!

Service is very poor at Nissan, you would think they would want you to come back.
  • I have an 04 1.8 Sentra I have an electric problem, no fire on the spark plugs I checked all the fuses they are fine .Maybe a corroded wire maybe a sensor I'm baffled.
  • i got a 2000 nissan sentra its ben running great sence the day we got it,one day shhut off the car like any other day went to start it the next day and i wouldnt start,messed wit some stuff jiguled some wires and cleand some stuff in finnally started drove for bout two and half weeks no problems now it only starts when it wants to and it dosent stay running for long we tryed all sorts of stuff and its starting to cost more money then i got and missed work do to towing any ideas will help thanks
  • I have a 2004 1.8s sentra and it has had cranking problems for over a year. Recently, it stalled twice after starting with the long crank. It doesn't have a problem first thing in the a.m., but when it does occur it is during the day, and it doesn't always happen. I had the spark plugs changed and the mechanic cleaned out something. I called nissan service and their mechanic told me it could be a fuel pump or the crank position sensor. I had already called nissan headquarters and they really were no help. They told me that I would have to bring it to nissan service. A friend has the same car and has the same problems, therefore, I know that it is a defect with the car. I really don't know what to do and don't want to keep spending money. I am bringing it back to my mechanic tomorrow and it will check it again.
  • HabsmanHabsman Posts: 3
    My electric problem is solved the dealer replaced the ignition control module (icm) warranty covers this up 100000 kms.Also several corroded wires had to be replaced ,very common problem with this car,I'm glad I went to the dealer I would never have found about the warranty ,this part is very expensive ,the job costs me about $300.
  • ser_specser_spec Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. i am also having the same problem except i am geting codes.both cam shaft and crank shaft censor's.i have went to nissan and got both censors and to day i got to drive for about 15 miles and it did it again.if it wont start try primen the car for about 10 min then give it a shot if it dont work keep tryen took me about 45 min to get it started today.i have also noticed if u push it passed 4 grand it will do it faster. taken mine to the shop in the morning will let every 1 know what they say but im pretty sure its the ecu need programed again for the 3rd time in 5 yrs. not saying this will work for every one just wanted to give my input. :mad: but i love my car and i wont give it up no matter what it takes. also just to let u know u can get a ecu programer for about $300-$600 and u can get all the codes from on line when i find a good site i will let u all know but the dealers ship will charge u about 400 i was told by a friend.
  • New here...need some advise/pointers. My Nissan loses power while driving; I know for a fact that when it loses power the spark plugs are not firing up...I step on the gas and nothing. First I thought it was the gas pump, but when I encounter this trouble and I switch gear the power comes back. My mechanic believes it's the distributor but he's not really sure as it can get very expensive. I've had this problem for the last six months, approx. 9k miles. I have changed the spark plugs and cables (original parts), and the distributor cap is fairly new. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what the problem maybe? this little car is my worrior car and would hate to give it up, it saves me a lot of money in gas as I commute 1hr each way when going to work.

Any advise is highly appreciated.
  • NOVEMBER 2007 -- Nissan is recalling 653,910 MY 2002 and 2005-2006 Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with 2.5L engines. The crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor. If the interruption in the signal from the sensor is so brief that the electronic control module (ECM) logic does not have time to diagnose the condition, the engine may stop running without warning while the vehicle is driven at a low speed increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will reprogram the ECM. Certain MY 2006 Altimas which have been previously remedied under recall campaign 06V223 (Nissan R0606) are not included in this recall since the reprogramming for that recall also included this reprogramming. The recall is expected to begin during December 2007. This recall was the subject of a Recall Query, RQ06-001, conducted by the Office of Defects Investigation. 07V527
  • My 94 Sentra starts fine (cold), and I take off, then just about when warm air comes from the vents, it starts bucking, and dies. I roll to a stop, turn off the ignition, and wait about 2-3 minutes, and crank it over. It starts, then dies after a few seconds. I wait another 2-3 nminutes, and it will start, and die immediately. This goes on for around 10-15 minutes, then it will start, and I can drive away, like nothing happened. Once in a while, it will buck, but still stay running. This happens like clockwork, and almost exactly the same time/distance.
    When the car is still warm after some travel, it will do the exact same thing, but after a shorter time/distance - around 5 minutes. If the car was just on a short hop, and is still up to temp, it works fine. It's just when the car has sat for over an hour or so.
    Note: If I crank it over too soon after it dies, it just cranks, with no firing, and I have to wait an extra amount of time for it to restart,, but will still die again, and go thru the cycle. Anyone have any ideas?
    BTW, replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor when this started.
  • sumergsumerg Posts: 1
    Took my mechanic a while to figure out that it was my coils. if one goes bad then you will have to replace them all.
  • ezeenaezeena Posts: 1
    Have a 96 Sentra GLX. Never had problems with the car until recently. It stutters and turns off when the car is stopped at a red light or stop sign. It stutters and sounds like its going to stop on the highway which scares the heck out of me. I’ve had 3 mechanics, including the Hartford Nissan Service Department take a look at it and no one can find the problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing my car to stutter and shut off? I've already spent $300.00 on throttle cleaning and diagnostic testing that revealed nothing at the Nissan dealer. Just want to know what is the problem so that I can have it fixed. Thanks.
  • rjulietterjuliette Posts: 1
    Hey there, I have recently been having the SAME problems with stepping on the gas and I get maybe 1500 RPM's . did you ever resolve this issue? We've changed spark plugs, and my mechanic said it may be the coil pack going out. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I hate the whold trial and error thing.

Take care,
    Robyn
  • kimmie11kimmie11 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with Nissan Sentra 2000. Right now I can't start it. I took it to a garage and the mechanic hooked up the car to the computer and couldn't find anything. But I checked online and there is a number of very serious recalls having to do with starting and stalling. Contact Nissan dealer asap. Defective crank position sensor recall 01V357000 is just one of them.
  • I have an 02 nissan sentra that won't start if puts forth a great effort. It did this a couple of months ago I replaced the fuel pump and then it was fine until now. Now it is doing the same no start noise as when it was the pump but now I can hear the pump kicking in and trying to run however it won't actually turn over. My check engine light as been on for several years unless I go down an EXTREMELY bumpy road it will go off. Someone PLEASE help.
  • It also will not connect to a diagnostic code reader. It makes it seem like there machine is broke when hooked up to my car.