Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Starting and Stalling Problems

13»

Comments

• Car will start fine almost all the time. Occasionally car will try to turn over, but will not start. I will need to hold down the gas pedal to the floor, crank engine and then pump gas pedal and the car will catch and start. Can anyone help me with this issue?
  • I hope someone can help me.

My 06 sentra started acting up a couple weeks ago. When it is cold (first thing in the morning) it is difficult to start. Sometimes taking multiple tries and up to ten minutes.

I can usually get it started and once I get it going - it runs just fine. I can usually get it started after work within two tries (a lot of times one try). Again it runs beautifully once it gets started.

If I get home on time (before 6PM) and dont start it again until morning its difficult to start. I have noticed that when I get home late and there is less time between starts, it was ok to start in the morning.

My mechanic neighbor was nice enough to clean the throttle body for me and other parts and it seemed to start fine once he did that. But once we turned it off it would not start again. then it did start later.

We are very confused. He is going to check it with his computer tomorrow - but we were wondering if anyone has had this issue or has any ideas on what could be going on. Please help.
  • jobethjobeth Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2004 manual spec r and I have experienced over a year a very tempermental attitude, the car will "shut off" in mid stride... the battery is fine the radio will even keep playing but theres no engine work and just a ride till my brake pressure evens out and hopefully i stop in time. it also will idle low and shut off sometimes when im trying warm up the car. its has truoble passing emissions as the engine "check me" light will periodically turn on and off. i rountinely check fluids, change oil and sparks and spark wires. Ive also had vaccumed out the air filter to rid debris. I found that after replacing the alternator (which is still under warrenty and i plan on replacing again anyway), using a higher octane gas and starting/running the car for 10 mins before traveling has decreased the frequency of shut downs...im suspecting the fuel pump or lines leading into engine where it ignites is my next guess...there is defnately no gas or fluid leaks.. thanks to everyone else posting about this car, i see there is a recall part and im gonna get on that and also look into other suggestions. have a excellent day!
  • blue95blue95 Posts: 10
    Help! '03 Sentra 1.8 auto 87K miles starts right up and drives fine until warm (maybe 10 miles) then engine quits. No sputtering, just shuts off. If I wait about 10 minutes it starts right up and drives fine for another 3 or 4 miles and then shuts off again. I nursed it 15 miles home in 3 mile segments with a 10 minute cooling off wait each time. Any ideas? Thx...blue95
  • I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra and when I stop at lights for a long period of time. My car feels like it is trying to stall. I sometimes have to keep my foot on the brake and the gas to rev it a bit so it doesn't stall on me. I have had a new battery a new alternator and a new MAF put in. I also believe he said something about O2 sensors as well.

Why is my car doing this. I am a single parent and cannot afford to get a new car so I need to keep this one going but I also can't afford to keep putting money into it if we can't figure out what is the issue. Can someone please help with some advise?

Thanks
  • Did you find the answer? I just spent almost $600 replacing the fuel pump three days ago only to have the car stall again..at a light. It's the same problem I have with my 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L It's making me crazy!
  • My Nissan 95 GXE would stall, and not just at the stop lights but in the FWY as well. I know things can get very expensive...I figure with the help of my mechanic that one of the air/oxygen sensors was going out, and since these sensors can get expensive I paid a visit to the local junk yard in L.A. (Pick Your Parts) and found a sensor from a 96 Nissan sentra, and it worked.

I suggest you visit the junk yard...the sensor is not difficult to replaced as it sits on top/near attached to the main air conduit.
  • I has the same problem in my setra 2005 ? Any idea what going on?
  • Alrighty here it is and def hoping for some good advice. Well I have a 2003 nissan sentra gxe engine with a electronic throttle body well I got another body for my engine didn't know afterwards that the 2002 nissan sentra gxe has a cable throttle body with a different throttle position connector so what i'm trying to get at is I'm going to convert my throttle body to a cable throttle body and maybe just leave my TPS connector unhooked will it affect anything??
    I'm kind of in a tight bind here not sure what route to take on this one...
    I have a couple ideas but want to def get some input here.. My ideas include getting different throttle body leaving TPS unhooked or possibly swap out with a 2002 sentra throttle body with the different TPS and possibly just snip my connector and attaching the other connectors for this TPS..
    Plz if anybody could help me out with this one I be really appreciated with it!!
    I could possibly help u out also if u can help me out i've done plenty of car work and know a d**n good bit about them
  • Nissan sentra start right up and drive fine until warn,
    maybe 10 miles and engine quits, no sputtering just shuts off.
    It wait about 15 minutes start and drive fine another 4 miles and shuts off again.
    Any idea?
  • CHECK YOUR SPARK PLUGS! i replaced the MAF & Throttle body and it didn't do anything. It was months with this problem and the computer wasn't reading things correctly. Maybe it was a combo of things. My head gasket was messed up too so maybe water went into the spark plugs after that. 3 plugs were messed up and one had rust from water. Hope that helps and hope my car doesn't give me any more problems for a while.
  • I have 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8, automatic, 36,000 miles, stalls and will not accelerate after I stop for a red light or STOP sign. This only happens when it rains. It takes a minute or more before it accelerates and takes off It also does not start right away, but takes a few cranks to ignite and turn on, this happens always. I had a mechanic check the spark plugs and sensor codes. All checked out okay.

I researched and learned about the following 2 Nissan class action lawsuits and owner if the same is occurring to my 04 Sentra.

1. Notice of proposed settlement -Lawsuits were filed regarding the 2005-2010 model year Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Xterra, and Nissan Frontier vehicles... lawsuits alleged that these vehicles contain a defect that permits cross-contamination of engine coolant and transmission fluid, ultimately causing the radiator and transmission to fail or need substantial repairs and further allege that Nissan failed to disclose the alleged defect to consumers. See details at http://classaction.kccllc.net/Documents/NNS0001/NNS_NOT.pdf

2. consumer class action concerning secondary timing chains, secondary timing chain tensioners and secondary timing chain tensioner shoes (“Timing Chain Systems”) installed in 2004 -2008 Nissan Maxima vehicles, 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest vehicles, 2004 – 2006 Nissan Altima vehicles (with the VQ35 engine), 2005 – 2007 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles, 2005 – 2007 Nissan Xterra vehicles, and 2005 – 2007 Nissan Frontier vehicles (with the VQ40 engine)... When the timing chain systems fail, they can cause a variety of problems, including the inability of the vehicles to accelerate and maintain speed, as well as catastrophic engine failure...
    For details go to: http://www.gotaclassaction.com/nissan-north-america-named-in-class-action-lawsui- t-alleging-failure-to-disclose-defect-in-timing-chain-systems-which-results-in-p- remature-failure/

There is no mention, of the 04 Sentra, I am wondering could the same or similar be happening?
    Experts, please advise, i need help on how to proceed. Thank you.
  • I'm not sure about the acceleration problem, but the hard/multiple cranks is probably your fuel pump. I have the same car and mine has the same problem. There was a service memo sent out when this car was still under warranty with a fix for the fuel pumps. Obviously it's not covered now but I would recommend replacing the fuel pump first, it might be going completely bad which would explain your acceleration problems too. Good luck.
    PS. If you're a do-it-your-selfer there's a video on youtube showing how to change the fuel pump on your own. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners though.
  • ok, this is for everyone with a sentra with starting problem. first off long crank....sometimes a long crank can be a fuel pump...u have fuel pressure while it is running but once u turn it off the fuel pressure bleeds away.....its a seal in the fuel pump....for certain years there was a seal kit to repair that but for 50 buxs more ...just get a fuel pump. the next thing would be a crank or cam sensor...sometimes they go bad, sometimes they have a porous leak and oil leaks through them into the connector...something to look for...check both. last is ur worst nightmare...the headgasket leak...pull the spark plugs and coolant there in the cylinder then u need a new headgasket. hope this helps everyone...take care and good luck.

• I drive a 2003 sentra xe automatic with a 1.8 and about 140k miles on it. I had some trouble with it stalling while idling, but this was fixed by replacing the battery. Now it will stall rarely very soon after I start driving. After this happens the car won't start until I put it back in park. It is fine after that. I love my car despite it having multiple issues, this being the worst, and have been trying to fix it up after buying it recently from a truly awful dealership. This problem is very dangerous and I need to fix it, but don't know what is causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • hmmreallyhmmreally Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Sentra. I've replaced the key, battery, alternator, and checked the fuses. And the car wont start. Doesn't crank, can't even jump it. I've been reading about the BCM, is this possible? I don't even have 29K miles on it. I feel like the dealer is bleeding me dry. HELP!!

13»