Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Styling

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,380
    edited January 2013
    n fact, reliability takes a back seat to interior design among consumers, according to a recent J.D. Power & Associates survey, which found a greater percentage of consumers will buy an unreliable vehicle than one with an interior design they perceive as unattractive.

This conclusion seems a bit dubious to me, perhaps it is heavily influenced by exactly how the question was worded and no doubt by the fact that most cars now are fairly reliable and have nice interiors.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,924
    I wonder how much is influenced by the available telematics too. People want their gizmos.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    edited January 2013
    most cars now are fairly reliable and have nice interiors.

Really? I think the interiors of most cars under $25K are crap (and a lot of more expensive vehicles too). Way too much hard plastic, lack of color, and how about putting in some contrasting materials? Not to mention we are now rushing headlong towards the future of touchscreens in every dash, with all the ugliness and irritations that brings. And if it's not that, it's gimmicky stuff like the Mini Cooper and the Sonic, as two examples.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• writerwriter Posts: 116
    It is hard to believe that the North American mfr. "crash" happened years ago now. There was a long period when every time I came to this topic I was just so sad about the state of the industry that it took away any incentive to say anything about styling. But lately, the industry is picking up, and [MAGIC!] STYLING is back again!

It's hard to believe that Hyundai is now near the front of the automotive styling world. Go back 10 years and would you have believed that? Go back to the Hyundai Pony and would you believe that the company is still around at all?

I think I said before that Ford has taken over the position of "good style" that Mazda had before. I cannot believe that Mazda has continued its direction. The new Mazda 5? Why?

The new Lexus "pinched" grill is ok. The Acura front wedge thingies on the other hand, why haven't they gotten rid of those yet?

It is nice to see Chrysler's Dart. The size is interesting. I want to see how it compares to the previous Neons. I think the first Neons were shorter in height, but otherwise about the same.

About the Neons, I still see "well kept" Neons in Toronto. I think people still like the styling and that the owners are proud of their cars, and that gives them incentive to keep them in good shape. I expect to find that in 10 years, you will be surprised to see a Calibre still running.

Chevy: The Spark is "not terrible". If you give me one, I would drive it. I would not buy one. The same goes for the Sonic. My opinion of the Cruze has not changed. I like the car. I do not like the name. I am glad I got my Cobalt Coupe.

Buick: For different reasons, the same comment as the Sonic: If you give me one. . . .

Nissan Juke: The fender lights kill it. It is hard to believe that the same company put out the G35.
    Maybe interiors should be just slightly uncomfortable. If it keeps you just a bit irritated, maybe it will keep you awake at the wheel and more alert?

It's just a thought. . . . :-)
    Not buying it, but good try! ;-)

Since inside is where I spend most of my time, I have come to think that I care a lot more about the quality of the inside than the styling of the outside.

And that's the minivan owner's secret. :D
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,581
    It is nice to see Chrysler's Dart. The size is interesting. I want to see how it compares to the previous Neons. I think the first Neons were shorter in height, but otherwise about the same.

I've sat in a few Darts, but have yet to drive one. To me, it feels like they took the front of a midsized car, the back of a compact, and joined them at the B-pillar. I found it plenty roomy and comfortable up front, but the back seat was what I'd call "typical compact"...too small for me to be comfortable, but about par for this size of vehicle.

I think the midsize/compact thing carries over to the styling, as well. If you take a picture of one from the side, and put your thumb over the back of it, it looks like it would be a fairly good-sized car. But, if you put your thumb over the front of the picture, it just looks like a generic, stubby compact.

I've seen a few on the road, as well, and when one comes up behind you, it seems to have a lot of presence about it.

As for the old Neon, I liked them. They were one of the few small cars where I could fit comfortably, both in the front and back. I've heard that reliability wasn't too bad on the later models, either. Unfortunately, resale value is so low that it doesn't take much to total one. I have a friend who had one, and it took a fairly minor side swipe while parked, and that was enough to total it. But then, he bought a Hyundai Sonata, an early 2000's model, and one morning rear-ended a truck with a trailer hitch on it, and even though the damage looked light, it got totaled, as well. He's driving an early '00's Mopar minivan now, but I can't remember which model. I think it's a Caravan, but it might just be a Voyager.
    So much has happened since January!

I have been seeing new Toyotas lately, but I have not really seen them closely, so I will wait a while before saying what I think about them.

The Chev Sonic is interesting. There are individual points I do not like, but if I see one on the street, it isn't bad. Overall it looks like a shrunken AMC Gremlin which I never liked, but I guess, because it is just plain smaller it does not look bad to me. Sort of like the Mazda 3 looking silly, but the Mazda 2, with similar styling cues looks ok. Just ok though. I would still buy the Ford versions. Ironically, I think the Sonic would have had potential for the old "customizers" back in the 1970's. Styling-wise things that I do not like can be isolated and replaced.

But these days, I would not want to touch a car. The designs are so critical that if you fix a crease you might end up causing body flexing which in turn messes up handling and structural strength. Ick. You can't sneeze at a car these days!
    You know what looks really weird to me? The Chevy Spark. Now that GM is flooding rental lots with them, I am seeing them on the roads fairly frequently (all with the little barcode in the window of course!).

That model looks like it was squeezed from both ends, then squeezed from both sides. MUCH too tall for its width and length. And that impression is accentuated by the really tall smeary headlights.

The new Corolla looks much better than the old one, especially in certain colors and with the black rims of the 'S' trim. Of course under the hood is the same old engine they have been using for about 15 years, the numbest electric steering in the world, and egads! a CVT, so looks will have to carry the day if Toyota hopes to outsell Honda and Ford.

As for the new Mazda3, the front sort of gapes, but it is quite a bit better than the old smiley model I think.

I have not seen a new Mazda 3 on the road yet. Or if I did, I was too busy to notice it. The pictures make the styling look awkward. It looks like they are taking the styling cues from
    the last previous model and trying to mix in a new direction. I am hoping that when I see it live it will look better. That is quite possible lately. As I have said, the Cruze looks better in the real world than the first pictures I saw, and so does the Sonic.

About the Spark. It is hard to believe it has been around for over a year. I have not seen many at all. Maybe it was released later in Canada? That would have been unusual since Canada has always bought more of the smaller cars. My comments about smaller cars looking better with the same styling cues fits this situation. Except for the grille/headlights, the Spark does have some Sonic styling, and yes, it does look better overall.

As for the swept back headlights. Oddly, the feel "outdated". The old Celica looked good. The original Focus, well, it always looked like a watermelon to me. I never really liked the look. I accepted it. It was another "if you gave one to me I'd drive it" car. The Nissan G35/GTR styles look good, and I still consider the original G35 a new "classic". But maybe not so new now? Yeah, the headlight idea sort of strikes me as, old.

The odd thing about "micro" cars is that the most common I see in Toronto are the Smart and the upper price versions of the Fiat 500. It is an inverted price response. There are some old Yaris coupes around, but I think the newer ones are starting to get big aren't they?

I forgot to mention that the Sonic long trunk version looks better than the hatchback. In Toronto, I mainly see the hatchbacks.
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013

There's one styling "trick" that never seems to work but it's back and just as dopey as ever>

Square fender openings over round wheels, bad stylists bad! No supper for you tonight, and emphasizing them with blisters, no, no no! :'( :@

• Looks like something glued on as an afterthought. I know what they are trying to do. They are trying to 'bulk it up" so that you think you're getting a tough GMC truck.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,423

That GMC almost had me doing a 'spit take' the first time I saw it. I don't gag now, but just because I'm used to it, I guess ;)

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,892

Perhaps the design genius who penned the 00s Colorado has retained employment.

@andys120 said: There's one styling "trick" that never seems to work but it's back and just as dopey as ever>

![]

Square fender openings over round wheels, bad stylists bad! No supper for you tonight, and emphasizing them with blisters, no, no no! :'( :@

edited December 2013

@andys120 said:

"Memorandum

GM Art Dept.

to Staff

Re: Terrain

The Boss says photoshop the wheels and tires."

@Stever@Edmunds said: Best cupholder ever. B)

I'm still wrapping my head around this one. Does it hold 2 cups or is that last move "just because they could?"

edited December 2013

We overran the limits of the last software by several years (some would say a decade - it was not being supported for the last few years) and the servers were failing more and more frequently because of the software. Synching couldn't keep up, among other things. It was switch horses or wind up on the side of the Chilkoot Trail with all the other debris.

I wonder if Lamborghini styling isn't stuck in a rut. You tell me>

"Old" Gallardo-

New Huracan>