Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• revellrevell Posts: 2
    Problem solved :)

The culprit was the neutral position sensor harness. It seems that over time the harness had rubbed against and bracket mount for the transmission and exposed bare wire for the Reverse causing a ground short.

Here is how I trouble shoot it. I started the vehicle and then unplugged the neutral position sensor and the placed the vehicle into reverse and it did not blow the fuse.
    So I then started checking the harness for problems back to the fuse box. Luckly I didn't have to look far. I had bought a Hanes Manual to get the wire diagram so that I would know where/what was all tied into the reverse electrical system.
    After three days of brain racking, all is good now.

NOTE: The vehicle will not start with the sensor unplugged, so be sure to start the vehicle first.
  • whwm01whwm01 Posts: 1
    About a year ago, I was driving home from a concert when everything went haywire. Head lights would dim in and out, the gauges went crazy, odometer flashed on and off, cd player shut off... And then my Jeep would start to stall out and then turn back on while I was driving. So I replaced the battery and everything was fine until about a week ago this problem started up again.

Sometimes I'll go out and it will start right up, other times it won't even click when I use my power locks. When it doesn't start I have to sit there and continue turning the key on and off until it eventuallyyy starts up. Usually it won't make a sound when turning the key. The battery is only a year old, I have a warranty on it but Autozone checked it and said the battery and alt are fine.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    clean your battry posts off real good see if that helps
    still sounds like battery
  • So I just found out today that the wire going from the solonoid to the starter is bad and needs to be changed. We have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the mechanics keep telling us that the wire can't be changed. Something along the lines of the entire engine will have to pulled out in order to change it. Is this the case, or does anyone know of another way? I really don't want to have to pay the high cost of labor for a cheap part.
    i would tell this grease monkey to shalft someone else and find me a new mec. as should be able to just run a wire along the out side of the old wire and hook up where the old wire was
  • trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    This sounds a bit fishy to me too. Almost any wire can be changed, even if you have to run it through the firewall to the cabin (e.g., that's what audio installers do all the time).
  • I agree with both of you, I thought it sounded weird too. I guess the issue is that the wire is way down inside, and supposedly the mechanic couldn't get to it even with really long needle nose pliers.
    i dont know where the wire would be so hard to get at that you could not rerout the wire (if its that bad would have to remove engine to change the starter)
  • i have a grand cherokee 3.1 2000 Turbo Diesel Automatic. right i was driving along the road the other day and everything just completely locked up, braked a couple of times and stopped. engine still running. i could drive it in secound and first, as i had to get it to the side of the road. today i decided to have ago at driving it down the road in "drive" again and it was fine for 200 yards down the road, then it would brake twice and go in to a complete stop (didnt make a noise though). i put it in to 2nd and it went 200 yards down the road and the same kinda happened again, so finally i put it in to 1st and it went quite a distance up the road but it did the same again(same again no noise). reverse works aswell btw. the reason i was tihnkin it was an electrical problem was because the transmission fluid is perfect, it doesnt smell burnt or look black and i thought that if it was something mechanical it just wouldnt drive at all or make a clunking noise. ive done the trick of turning the ignition on and off 4 times and it come up saying "done" meaning there is nothing wrong with the car :S

btw ive also had a problem with starting it, i can turn the key to turn the radio on but its takes a couple of goes to turn the engine on as it just make a clunking noise. also aircon hasnt worked and one of the electric seats doesnt work.
  • I hate to admit this but my 96 grand cherokee got the better of me I sold it , I just couldnt keep up with the electrical problems :mad:
  • rodiakrodiak Posts: 1
    Any additional information on this? Same exact thing happened to me the other day.
    on all the electrical problums i always ask HOW OLD IS THE BATTERY?

if older than one year sugust you change that first as most intermit prob are a bad battery one cell could be going bad and not make contact all the time will cause all diffrent problums
  • My 2006 JGC Limited has an intermittent problem where the headlights flash on and off numerous times when the switch is in the "Autobeam OFF" position. So while the headlights turn off, the dash lights return to the day time brightness setting and blind you. It may be that I can temporarily halt the problem by turning the switch to "Autobeam ON" and back. Has anyone out there seen this problem? Thanks!
  • I had the problem with the dome lights staying on and the driver's side panel not working. I fixed that by splicing the BLACK wire back together in the harness.

Now......When I try to start my car, the starter kicks over then stops and all of the electronics die in the car. No lights or anything. Can't restart it. This happened a few times to me but tonight it finally completely stopped. I went hunting quite a ways out of town and came back to the car and it locked me out!!!! No response from the controller. No lights. The gauges were going crazy on the dash board. I couldn't manually open the door because the keyhole was locked up.

Needless to say, I had quite a long, pissed off walk.

thanks!
  • Hi Seymop,

Wow, that's bad. I never had those symtoms, however, my previous Jeep Cherokee had the problem where the gauges went crazy (I sold it soon). Are you located in a cold area? My situation in message #205 seems to happen when it is cold outside. What year/model is your Jeep?

Thanks, DJ
  • 2004 Jeep grand cherokee
  • Appears to be #8 fuse but it's not blown. Radio, heater switch,. Readout display and overhead lights inop. Center dash components mainly. 93 Grand Cherokee. Help, its cold and quiet...Brent
  • I have a 2004 GC Limited, and I'm almost ready scream.

It's sad when you have to guess whether or not you car will start, or when will it died while you are driving it... We have taken it to several auto shops and each time the mechanic is at a lost- they have no idea as to what the problem may be. I think the biggest issue is the problem is hard to reproduce, since the problem is so sporadic.
    From what I’ve read in the different forums, this problem is pretty common, leaving me to believe Chrysler is aware of the problem...

If you are still having this issue, contact Chrysler at1-800-853-1401 or 1403
    or the National Highway Transportation Safety at 1-888-327-4236
    From the information you provided so far, I'd say it's almost certainly a problem with your electric system.
    Are you having the same intermittent problem as dknj? Please provide more details, so that someone might have a better idea of what to recommend for you.

Also, I don't think it's accurate to conclude that your starting issue is a widespread problem based on you reading a few forum posts. Please remember that the posts here (and in other forums) are coming from a small sub-sample of Jeep owners and not necessarily representative of all of them. After all, one doesn't often see the posts about things running just fine, because there's no need to post about it ;).