Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just bought this Jeep. It needed a fuelpump and i had that replaced, then a map sensor. Now when I start it it will immediately stop. Everybody is telling my all kind of ways to reset the security system. I just need to know the correct way!
  • On my 94 Grand Cherokee limited there are two ways. One is to lock and unlock the rear hatch. The other is with the keyless entry, lock and unlock a few times. I saw a way to disable the security system all together posted a while back, which I'm going to try but haven't yet.
  • Four wheel discs,auto,inline six,2 whl drive. Have intermittent front brake (both)
    problem.They do not fully retract. Park the car and they will retract, This is only the
    front. Backs are ok. Vehicle has 103,000 miles, Stops straight line, no lights and ABS lite lights when car strarts and then goes out as it should. Changed master cyl
    -did not correct problem. Power booster seems ok per book tests. The pedal gets
    very hard and very little travel when this happens. Any ideas?
  • The Graphic display module on my jeep blinks off and on at times and it keeps saying TAILGATE LIFT OPEN even when the lift is closed therefore causing the rear wipers not to work. Also when headlights are in the auto position sometimes they just start flashing off and on. Has anyone else had these problems?
  • Sounds like my problem is roughly the same. But I checked fuses and battery cable connection. Problem is the car doesn't turn over on first try. Usually after 2 or 3. Also, the radio clock resets and the auto light feature does not always work. I've checked fuses and battery cable connection. I did replace the battery about 8 months ago due to old battery had leak and some corrosion around terminals and posts. I don't think I did a good enough job cleaning all the old corrosion as leftover corrosion residue is still evident. I did check battery fluid level and it is fine and the fuses are fine. I will clean posts and terminals this weekend but I suspect that's not it. Next resort will be to replace battery cables. Is this futile? Also, is it more likely there's a short somewhere and I really should take it in?
  • I had the same problem on my Ford PU, and it turned out the flexible brake lines on both sides had swollen on the inside, restricting the return of the brake bluid to the master cylinder. If your brake components are clean of rust so that they can move freely, then it is probably those lines or the brake cylinders themselves.
  • Have a 2003 JGC Overland that I got on 12/12/09, registered on Jeep owner website and found that recall on seat heater had never been done. Took to dealer for the switchout and next day could not feel any heat on low setting . gear shift handle was warm to touch when I went back, told it was heat coming across ?transfer. stated everything checked out fine and the original recall had been recalled. that was 2 wks ago, today gear shift handle warm stopped after 15 mins. When I got back in car later, handle warm, steering wheel hot and space between wheel and dash, car parked in shade so I knew it was not from the sun and that by the time I got back to dealer the heat would be gone. It was. Does anyone have an idea of what,s going on, because this car was working well before this and because I drive to various states to work so I know how it felt before. Going back to dealer tomorrow and I not accepting "we can't find anything" cause I'm due to get back on the road soon. :(
  • i have a 95 jeep grd. cherokee, the PCM module clicks repeatadly when i turn the ignition switch on. i am getting plenty of fuel to the plugs but no spark, i have changed the plugs wires, rotor, dist cap, coil pack all relays in the PCM and installed a new fuel pump no fuses are blown the engine cranks fine and the rotor turns i still cant get spark i have asked a bunch of people and tried everything i have been told about but still no luck. any suggestions?
  • Thanks mprinohio, I'll give that a whirl this weekend.
  • Sounds like a lot of electrical issue questions, few solutions. Dang disappointing.
  • I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited that does the same thing. Mine also has a relay that clicks when any door is open. And when the display blinks the cargo light blinds too. Other little things that are to numerous to list.No one can give me any answers.
  • I Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4x2. A few months ago my gauge cluster began to turn on and off, and eventually while driving the Jeep just shut down. It still had electic power but would not turn over. I ended up having to replace the computer. Now about two months with the new computer the gauges are turning on and off again. What should I check for, or replace before the computer dies on me again.
  • I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2x2. A couple of weeks ago my vehicle started giving me problems. Wehn i would crank my Jeep up the oil gauge had a reading of zero even though i had my oil changed two weeks prior to the incidents. When ever i crank my Jeep up and press my gas pedals the oil gauge goes back to the middle, but as soon as i drive off it falls back down to the zero and the check guage light comes back on. Does anyone have an ideao to what it could be? Thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    i would first change the oil pressure sending unit that sounds as if that went bad
  • Your problem may fall into the same category as the rest of us, as this may ultimately be another one of those electrical problems that many of us don't have a resolution for.

However, the first thing to do, is to check the diagnostic code for your problem. It's an easy thing to do on the JGC (at least on my 2000 JGC it is). With the vehicle not running, turn the key toward ACC (backward or opposite of starting) once, then back to the original position. Perform this three times. On the third attempt, the "P" diagnostic code will be displayed in the same area as your odometer, followed by the word "done". Perform an internet search for Jeep diagnostic codes, to find the reason for your problem.

Realize that this may be a false code; i.e. something that doesn't really indicate the true problem. As I said, many of the older Jeeps are experiencing problems with gauges not working, in conjunction with dashboard lights being lit up. No one appears to have a resolution for this. If you take the vehicle to a dealership, they'll probably attempt to change the PCM and/or BCM, which will cost you a pretty penny. Rest assured, that won't solve the problem.

Check other online boards like CNET, but you won't find much in the way of help. Sorry.
  • Can anyone help me with this New Problum,
    I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7, i drove it yesterday and it was running great, now today it will not turn over,when you open the hood you smell a strong electrics burning under the battery? Does anybody know why i am getting a strong smell of electrics burning and would this stop the truck from turning over.
    Also i replaced the battery last week. :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    It sounds like you either have a short circuit somewhere in your electrical system or your alternator is burned out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    could have a bad starter as when you try to start if starter is bad will smell bad could be short in starter
  • kman22kman22 Posts: 2
    OK, so these problems may not have anything to do with one another but i get the sense they are related...

Jeep GC 2001
    - wipers stopped working about a month ago. then a few days later started working again
    - tailgate power lock stopped working a week or two ago. works sometimes but mostly not
    - today, blinkers would not work. Lever on steering column goes up and down, but no "clicking" or arrows showing on dash.

Anyone have any thoughts?

and somewhat related, How do you check or change the fuses in the box under the hood?

thanks- E Kamer
  • wcf59wcf59 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 95 JGC with straight 6, auto 4WD, 159,000 miles. The tranny is supposed to be out. When I looked at it we had trouble getting it started, but after leaving the key on for several minutes I heard a click then the fuel pump ran and I was able to start it. I towed it home today and now it wont start. Im not getting power at the fuel pump. Ive checked ALL fuses and relays and all are good. Im leaning towarda PCM problem but dont know how to check it. I also need a wiring diagram that shows what wire coming from the PCM powers the fuel system. There are some otehr issues that Ill be asking about but need to get it running first.