Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    how old is the battery first thing i wood do is change battery as jeeps need a good voltage supply
  • larchavelarchave Posts: 19
    I just replaced the battery last year around march, brand New AAA battery they installed when my car wouldn't start.
  • I had the same problem with my 2005 JGC. I switched out the ignition switch, had it checked so many times and nothing worked. One person suggested it could be the electronic key. I had two. I stopped using the one and started using my spare. Have not had the electrical issue now in almost a year. Sometimes, it's just that simple.
    @ jeepgirl52, I remember now when I first bought my jeep, the dealer said something in regards to the key and my car not starting. I only received 1 key with my purchase, is was used with 12,000 miles. I was told I would receive another key and never did. When I asked about it, I was told it would cost me 100 dollars. So my husband and just forgot about. Maybe I will try this first before I start investing into the thousands. My last jeep for sure, I love them but not these issues.
  • candiie33candiie33 Posts: 2
    Hello can you please lead me in the direction of the ignition switch. I need to stop this flickering. I had a very bad experience with these light and they completely cut off on me for a couple second down a dark road with my children in the car. I went to auto zone yesterday after ready your post and they act like they didn't know what an ignition switch was. Is there a specific name or product code, or website I can get it from. My husban band me from driving at night until we can figure out the cause and fix it.

Please anybody help my family out
  • candiie33candiie33 Posts: 2
    I have been trying to find the problem with my 05 jeep. I finally saw a lot of post on this site. I went to Auto Zone yesterday, and they told me it's no such thing of an ignition switch so with much frustration I left and ran back to this site to seek more answers. Do anyone know a product code, website, or the direct name for this part. I'm forced to not drive at night after the lights completely went out for several second with my children in the car.

Please help up out we are lost seeking the correct part
  • I'm not sure if I am calling it by the right term. It's the entire ignition mechanism, where you actually insert the key to start the care. But try getting a second key first.
  • One thing I found out while driving at night. I always have my headlighlights turned on as auto, whereby they come on as soon as it turns dusk or dark. Try just clicking it back to the manual lights switch. Your panel may flicker but your headlights should not turn off.
    I think it's the starter your referring to. My car started on it's sickness this morning again. Not wanting to change gears and the dash lights were flicker like mad. I think it's time for me to take it in. it ws fine for about a week or two and now it's at it again
  • chief40chief40 Posts: 4
    The drivers side tail light and side marker went out. Fuse is good, Bulbs are good. All other lights work. Is there a fusible link in the system somewhere ? I even disconnected the converter box for the trailer lights. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • chief40chief40 Posts: 4
    I narrowed the problem down to a faulty "lamp outage module" I bypassed it and all the lights work. Now all I have to do is find one.
  • jordon3jordon3 Posts: 1
    My jeep is pissing me off lol ok so my starter is going bad but while i am driving the jeep will just die ill still have power but the engine will just die my pops said it might be a bad 02 sensor but i cant run a diagnostic because the check engine light only comes on when the jeep dies. but once turn the car back on the light goes off. the battery is fine i just checked it connections are good. :shades:
  • rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Ours was doing the same thing it was the pcm.
  • mech3mech3 Posts: 2
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo has started a stalling problem. It occurs after a period of time. Check engine light comes on, starts a "skipping type process" then reduces speed. If the car is not stopped, it eventually shuts down. I have been in "chat rooms" with Jeep owners and getting advice from a number of sources. I noticed that a lot of Jeep owners are having this problem. I have had diagnostic checks ran and so far replaced, fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, some type sensor, some type relay, spark plugs and ignition coil. I even loosen the bolts on the fuse box as suggested by one owner in a "chat room". None of these corrected my problem. Any other suggestions anyone?
  • mech3mech3 Posts: 2
    I saw one reply that it was the PCM. May I ask, what is the "PCM"? I guess you can tell I am a female...
  • rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Hey im a female too had the same prob with our grand cherokee. The pcm is the power control module basically the computer of the vehicle. We had it fixed, it cost almost 900 but it runs perfect now. It took us a long time to fig out what was wrong because they cldnt get a code when they ran diagnostics. It took 5 mos to fig it out and lots of parts and money before finding out it was the pcm. Find someone u can trust to find out if u r hvg the same prob. Hope it wrx out for u.
  • So happy to find this site. I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It started out with my electrical windows not working and then my ac wouldn't blow thru the vents and then yesterday going home my dashboard lit up and everything went haywire, the windows wouldn't work unless I hit the driver's side door with my arm and the windows would work but then the dashboard went crazy, speedometer went to zero, gauges went crazy. It was very scary as I travel on the I-10 and am a little ways from my home. Please help me in any way you can!!
    what is the PCM
  • lroyealroyea Posts: 1
    Hi! I just want to say I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that we bought used, are still paying on, and I think its a piece of CRAP!! Since the very beginning we have had electrical problems starting with the radio. You have to hit clock in order to get the radio to work. Then it began going off like a Christmas tree. I will be driving along, I will have shifting problems, dash lights all blinking and going crazy, ac blower turning on and off, headlights and rear lights blinking like crazy (this makes me feel really safe on the highway at night), gauges going crazy up and down and turning off. I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE A CHRYSLER PRODUCT IN THIS LIFE TIME!!! I do have to ask if every one is complaining of the same issues then why have they not been forced to be accountable and have a recall???
    I feel your pain. The first day I drove of the lot my radio stopped playing. No need to tell u my story. Everything u mentioned are the exact same problems I'm having. Light flickering @ night. I'm surprised someone hasent gotten out of their car to curse me out thinking I'm flashing @ them. Its falling apart. I have a 06 with 77 thousand miles. And from this start its gone while. The first 6 months of having it. It was in the shop 5 times. BUT!! The dealing camt even tell u what's wrong. So sad. I love my jeep. But never ever will I purchase another one.
  • Like I have said to many others on this forum. it is the electrical harnesses. Period. The harness defects tend to also burn out control modules.

Read my earlier posts

Sorry for bluntness. On quick break on mobile platform

Architect
  • bhunleybhunley Posts: 3
    hey i was having the same exact problem with my 2001 model. after SEVERAL tows and trips to the mechanic, it ended up being the crank shaft sensor was going bad. Hope it helps!
    What is the electrical harness? And is it expensive to fix. I was told I needed a new computer for the car. Is this what ur referring to?
  • I drive a 2005 JGC (5.7L) with 53,000 miles on it.

Issue:
    Like mech3, the car would randomly feel like it was stalling out when I would step on the gas pedal. This wouldn't happen frequently, but definitely at very inopportune times. The check engine light would come on and if I wasn't stopped, the car would feel like it was starting to shut down.

I have taken it to the shop now three times, and this is the first time they were able to get an error code generated. Note, this is also the first time that the check engine light actually stayed on by the time I arrived at the shop.

Potential Resolution:
    Like bhunley, I am having the crank shaft sensor replaced ($420) as well as a couple other sensors ($140). The mechanic said that when the crank shaft sensor isn't receiving the signals correctly, it essentially starts shutting down the car (or something along those lines). He did say that the error needed to happen a few times before the code would get registered by the computer, which is why they couldn't target the problem the first two times I brought the car in. Thankfully, they never charged me for those trips!

Anyway, I'll post back in a few days to let you all know if that fixed my problem. Best of luck to you all...
  • There are a number of harnesses. There are also generally THREE (3) "BUS" circuits that are tied to various modules. One harness is ahead of the firewall (eng compartment) and other harness(s) behind firewall. it is designed so that certain electrical systems are on specific BUS circuits. I have heard of many with stalling problems and also of wipers or headlights turning on and off on their own.

A technician told me that some of the circuits "fail safe" meaning that when they malfunction, headlights may go on or wipers may runs etc.

My particular problem with my harness was for many times (5) diagnosed as a bad module here or there (refer to my earliest posts in these threads). Some modules were replaced more than once or twice. In my experience, some of the modules were actually OK, but the harness was shorting out modules and ignition switch, etc. I would not be two miles down the road from what was supposed to be a successful repair only to see same "crazy dashboard light show" happen again and again. They did not believe me until i filmed it on my phone's video capability.

Quite frankly, with the new harness my Jeep is running so smooth and true and is like it was always meant to be. It idles smoother than when I bought it, as well as consistently performing well in all kinds of Wx.

The repairs for all the modules replaced totaled $2100 for mine, which I paid over a series of repairs. (Oouch !!!) Then I got in touch with Jeep Customer Support and they were, IMHO, great about dealing with my issue. I was totally documented with dates, times , receipts, etc. I even had them speak directly with Jeep Service Manager as well. In the end they covered to cost of the harness so... I don't know what the actual expense was but BOTTOM LINE.. it was worth all the agro that i went through.

Years ago I personally installed a new wiring harness on my '72 Honda 350CL motorcycle and it to never ran better.

So, as one can see, I am "all about the harness" as being a prime source of many of the symptoms I read in this forum. Sadly, only one way for you to find out...

Best o' Luck

Architect
    06 Laredo
    103,000 and running smooth
  • I have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee. I am currently having problems getting it started. It will start for 3-5 seconds and stall out. I checked the fuel rail and Im getting plenty amounts of gas. However on rare occasion it starts up, my gauges and sometimes windows and door locks dont work. Although my dash lights do. I checked for a faulty instrument cluster and a bad ground... not the problem. Oh and the security light is on! Any insight please? Thanks
  • This actually happened to me before and after a few days of diagnostics, my mechanic discovered it was the Skreem Module causing the problem, which I had replaced. If you google Skreem Module you'll see it controls a lot of the sensors and starter, etc.

If it's not that, a friend of mine had the same issue (start for 3-5 seconds then stall out) and it was just his key, which he had to get replaced.

Hope that helps!
  • joe3djoe3d Posts: 17
    I have a 2005 and just had a similar problem fixed. The key wasn't being recognized by the computer. Do the locks respond when you use the key to unlock/lock the doors? Mine didn't and after looking through the manual I found the engine will shut down after 2 seconds if the key isn't recognized.
    The part is about $170 and most of the time the dealer has to reprogram the key if it has a build in chip. Good luck, Joe D
    Ok, before I put my car in the shop this week and get ripped off. I want to state again my problem to see if anyone has the same and what were u told. When my car doesn't start, I turn the key put it into drive the back into park and it starts right away. While driving, my dash lights goes nuts, and all the lights for PRND light up all @ the same time and then the car won't shift gears. My head light flicker off and on @ night, and my raido she to go from station to station without me touching it. Either its haunted or falling apart. Any advice.
    The radio goes from station to station