Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    how old is the battery first thing i wood do is change battery as jeeps need a good voltage supply
  • larchavelarchave Posts: 19
    I just replaced the battery last year around march, brand New AAA battery they installed when my car wouldn't start.
  • I had the same problem with my 2005 JGC. I switched out the ignition switch, had it checked so many times and nothing worked. One person suggested it could be the electronic key. I had two. I stopped using the one and started using my spare. Have not had the electrical issue now in almost a year. Sometimes, it's just that simple.
    @ jeepgirl52, I remember now when I first bought my jeep, the dealer said something in regards to the key and my car not starting. I only received 1 key with my purchase, is was used with 12,000 miles. I was told I would receive another key and never did. When I asked about it, I was told it would cost me 100 dollars. So my husband and just forgot about. Maybe I will try this first before I start investing into the thousands. My last jeep for sure, I love them but not these issues.
  • candiie33candiie33 Posts: 2
    Hello can you please lead me in the direction of the ignition switch. I need to stop this flickering. I had a very bad experience with these light and they completely cut off on me for a couple second down a dark road with my children in the car. I went to auto zone yesterday after ready your post and they act like they didn't know what an ignition switch was. Is there a specific name or product code, or website I can get it from. My husban band me from driving at night until we can figure out the cause and fix it.

Please anybody help my family out
  • candiie33candiie33 Posts: 2
    I have been trying to find the problem with my 05 jeep. I finally saw a lot of post on this site. I went to Auto Zone yesterday, and they told me it's no such thing of an ignition switch so with much frustration I left and ran back to this site to seek more answers. Do anyone know a product code, website, or the direct name for this part. I'm forced to not drive at night after the lights completely went out for several second with my children in the car.

Please help up out we are lost seeking the correct part
  • I'm not sure if I am calling it by the right term. It's the entire ignition mechanism, where you actually insert the key to start the care. But try getting a second key first.
  • One thing I found out while driving at night. I always have my headlighlights turned on as auto, whereby they come on as soon as it turns dusk or dark. Try just clicking it back to the manual lights switch. Your panel may flicker but your headlights should not turn off.
    I think it's the starter your referring to. My car started on it's sickness this morning again. Not wanting to change gears and the dash lights were flicker like mad. I think it's time for me to take it in. it ws fine for about a week or two and now it's at it again
  • chief40chief40 Posts: 4
    The drivers side tail light and side marker went out. Fuse is good, Bulbs are good. All other lights work. Is there a fusible link in the system somewhere ? I even disconnected the converter box for the trailer lights. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • chief40chief40 Posts: 4
    I narrowed the problem down to a faulty "lamp outage module" I bypassed it and all the lights work. Now all I have to do is find one.
  • jordon3jordon3 Posts: 1
    My jeep is pissing me off lol ok so my starter is going bad but while i am driving the jeep will just die ill still have power but the engine will just die my pops said it might be a bad 02 sensor but i cant run a diagnostic because the check engine light only comes on when the jeep dies. but once turn the car back on the light goes off. the battery is fine i just checked it connections are good. :shades:
  • rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Ours was doing the same thing it was the pcm.
  • mech3mech3 Posts: 2
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo has started a stalling problem. It occurs after a period of time. Check engine light comes on, starts a "skipping type process" then reduces speed. If the car is not stopped, it eventually shuts down. I have been in "chat rooms" with Jeep owners and getting advice from a number of sources. I noticed that a lot of Jeep owners are having this problem. I have had diagnostic checks ran and so far replaced, fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, some type sensor, some type relay, spark plugs and ignition coil. I even loosen the bolts on the fuse box as suggested by one owner in a "chat room". None of these corrected my problem. Any other suggestions anyone?
  • mech3mech3 Posts: 2
    I saw one reply that it was the PCM. May I ask, what is the "PCM"? I guess you can tell I am a female...
  • rgarmonrgarmon Posts: 9
    Hey im a female too had the same prob with our grand cherokee. The pcm is the power control module basically the computer of the vehicle. We had it fixed, it cost almost 900 but it runs perfect now. It took us a long time to fig out what was wrong because they cldnt get a code when they ran diagnostics. It took 5 mos to fig it out and lots of parts and money before finding out it was the pcm. Find someone u can trust to find out if u r hvg the same prob. Hope it wrx out for u.
  • So happy to find this site. I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It started out with my electrical windows not working and then my ac wouldn't blow thru the vents and then yesterday going home my dashboard lit up and everything went haywire, the windows wouldn't work unless I hit the driver's side door with my arm and the windows would work but then the dashboard went crazy, speedometer went to zero, gauges went crazy. It was very scary as I travel on the I-10 and am a little ways from my home. Please help me in any way you can!!
    what is the PCM
  • lroyealroyea Posts: 1
    Hi! I just want to say I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that we bought used, are still paying on, and I think its a piece of CRAP!! Since the very beginning we have had electrical problems starting with the radio. You have to hit clock in order to get the radio to work. Then it began going off like a Christmas tree. I will be driving along, I will have shifting problems, dash lights all blinking and going crazy, ac blower turning on and off, headlights and rear lights blinking like crazy (this makes me feel really safe on the highway at night), gauges going crazy up and down and turning off. I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE A CHRYSLER PRODUCT IN THIS LIFE TIME!!! I do have to ask if every one is complaining of the same issues then why have they not been forced to be accountable and have a recall???
    I feel your pain. The first day I drove of the lot my radio stopped playing. No need to tell u my story. Everything u mentioned are the exact same problems I'm having. Light flickering @ night. I'm surprised someone hasent gotten out of their car to curse me out thinking I'm flashing @ them. Its falling apart. I have a 06 with 77 thousand miles. And from this start its gone while. The first 6 months of having it. It was in the shop 5 times. BUT!! The dealing camt even tell u what's wrong. So sad. I love my jeep. But never ever will I purchase another one.