Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• lorraine1203lorraine1203 Member Posts: 4
    A couple of times, my car has died while I was driving... no horn, won't start, not able to steer, and no lights- after a few minutes the car will start, the clock is reset to 12:00.

I've also had more than a few times where the car just will not start, no lights on the panel, no indicator bell from the key being in the ignition, nothing, after a few times from trying, the panel will slowly light up, the indicator bell will ding the clock flashes 12:00 and it starts.

Below are a list of forum I've read as to other Jeep owners having the same issue

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/03/nhtsa_jeep.html
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/10/jeep_stalls.html
    http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/jeep_grand_cherokee.htm
    http://www.safetyforum.com/cgi-bin/cginews.pl?search=chrysler&method=Exact&field- =all
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7811_102-0.html?threadID=311804
    http://forums.overthehillcarpeople.com/viewtopic.php?t=2999&sid=7dbeabe84d05ec0c- 19de5c08a8c922e9
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    i had this problem last month with my 99 grand cherokee, after the problem happened twice in 2 days i disconnected and reconnected the 3 computer plugs on firewall behind coolant bottle to clean off any corrosion that may prevent good sensor signals to computer, i thought that fixed it as i hd no problems for 3 more weeks, then it happened again but waiting a few mnutes did not fix like the two prior times, this time power did not come back, i called auto club, they did amp check on battery and it had died, it was 30 months old on a 36 month battery. He put a new battery in and tested to make sure alternator was ok, it was, everything working now. I had read in other jeep postings that when battery gets near end of life it may act this way intermittently till it finally dies, if i had my battery checked last month after first fail it probably would have shown as weak and i would have avoided my last final fail, so if your battery is more than 75% into its battery life, take it to a good place to check voltage and cold cranking amps of battery(CCA), i think auto zone will test for free and install a new battery with no labor charge, also sears, etc. If you have a reciept from when you last bought battery, go to the place you got it as they will pro-rate the cost of new one if its under warranty. Please post back if this was problem after you test battery.
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    Also check to make sure battery cables are very tight and clean, as they might be wiggling while driving over bump and coming loose causing problem. Weak battery in this car will mess with the computer and car won't run.
  • dj_moversdj_movers Member Posts: 15
    This reply is primarily for Lorraine1203. This problem sounds very similar to 3 different problems I have had on 2 Jeep Cherokees (not GC) and another Chrysler sedan. 2 out of 3 problems were extremely hard to troubleshoot. The good news is that the fixes were simple, relatively inexpensive and lasting. I have 2 questions for you to help me see if one might match your issue. 1) When your Jeep "dies" while driving, do you still have electrical systems such as instrumentation, radio, lights, etc? 2) When your Jeep "dies" while driving, does it stall for a matter of seconds and then start going again, or is it finish and you have to get it towed? We can go from there. Regards, dj_movers
  • jeepers101jeepers101 Member Posts: 1
    I have two jeeps both 4.0ltrs .. The wrangler has had an issue from day one of stalling in 4x4 usually in reverse- I need to get it to the dealer since it has a bulletin to repair it...
    Now the 2003 Grand Cherokee is another story- cut out on highway and had no power no anything.. zero crank.. towed it home - still zero crank.. turn the key gauges come on and...nothing... zero crank... hooked up a tester to flash the computer has zero readings... 3 shops have told me they have no clue what it is..
    I found a lot of other forums that state its the PCM telling the ASD to shut off due to the PCM having weak wire connections or just going bad..???
    Does any agree- should I just buy a new PCM... Last Jeep I will buy just cant deal with the headaches between the window motors/heating act switched power sterring lines that end up being a re-configured pump and line ($400+)... i done
    1) When your Jeep "dies" while driving, do you still have electrical systems such as instrumentation, radio, lights, etc?

No, I lose total power.

2) When your Jeep "dies" while driving, does it stall for a matter of seconds and then start going again, or is it finish and you have to get it towed?

It stalls for a matter of 2 to 3 minutes and then starts going again.

Thanks
  • chaz31536000chaz31536000 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 grand cherokee laredo ok well i am sure u all have seen this befor but i have not. My right front and left front and back right turn signals do not work . I replaced the back right blub but no good. I replaced the turn signal flasher nothing. the ones that are working are flashing fast. One friend told me after looking i need to remove the front turn signals on both sides and get the water out and replace blubs and he thinks the short is there. is he right and if u think so how do i remove the front turn signals on the jeep??
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    how old is the battery if more than year or so change battery cheapest thing you can change when you start to have these problem as the jeep likes a battery that dosen"t fluctuate to much
  • dj_moversdj_movers Member Posts: 15
    Again, mainly for Lorraine: Maybe our problems are sligtly different since I never lost all electricity in my Jeeps and car. However, for your first reply 1) I would check out the battery in every way possible: remove the cables, clean them and the terminals with baking soda and water or a commercially available spray and wire brush. Test the battery as maybe a cell is going bad. Push on the farthest sides of the battery to see if they are starting to get soft (bad sign). For what it is worth, I have had what you describe on my motorcyle and it is always a faulty ground connection on the battery terminal. I have to smack it with a tool until I can get home to service it. Regarding your reply 2), whatever sensor tells the ignition where it is so it knows which cylinder to fire on may be going intermittent. This would NOT, however, cause total electrical failure. In the past, this was hard to troubleshoot, however, I would think that an '04 should be receiving computer codes to tell the mechanic. Finally with stalling, another hard to troubleshoot problem would be a faulty fuel pump relay. Again, this would NOT cause total electrical failure. In my case, the dealer replaced the fuel pump under warranty for no reason. I swapped the fuel pump relay with a like one on a non-critical circuit and never stalled again. Let us know what happens!

Again, PLEASE if anyone can help me with my post #205, I would be grateful.

dj
  • puddincuppuddincup Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 grand cherokee laredo . drove to store had lights came back out no head dash or tail lights everything else worked. changed headlight switch . fuses are good and relay good. help this jeep means the world to me!
  • katiejillkatiejill Member Posts: 3
    It eats batteries. Sometimes transmission will not shift despite fluids topped off recently. Have to rev engine and dash and head lights flicker, if I stop car it stops for good, so have to keep going, FAST, to where I'm going. That happened about 3 times. Each time wound up w new battery. This time just walked out one day--battery etc had been fine day before, no sign of trouble--and it wouldn't crank. AAA guy said he'd ditch the car. But I am a woman hunter with a long highway commute to work and nothing else can hack both the seriously nasty backroads I travel AND the highway. I want to keep my car. Should I just keep calling AAA and buying batteries or ...? (I don't know what should come after the "or")
    Battery connections are all clean, all fluids are topped off, AAA nor garages can ever find anything wrong but battery, exc second of four times had to replace alternator (summer before last). All in all, 3 new batteries (haven't bought one yet this time as car charged and SEEMS fine, but I know more is coming) in 3 years, with average mileage.
    there is a heat sensor under your battery sounds as if that is bad controls how much your alternator charges you battery i would change that first
  • wobblinwobblin Member Posts: 3
    97c jg 4x4 v8 wont start. was running fine drove home from work 5 mins later it wouldnt start. last time it did that i put it in the shop asd relay went bad and a ring on enjector blew out. its got a new fuel pump and filters,plugs and wires,o2 sensor,map sensor, battery,distributor cap water pump,could the wire have come off the fuel pump. that happened to me the first time i dropped the gas tank to change the filter thats when i went ahead and changed the entire fuel pump and filters so i wouldt have to drop the tank. help please! merry christmas.
  • buzzard14buzzard14 Member Posts: 4
    I have read a lot of the posts about electrical problems. One of my problems is trying to trace electrical circuits when you don't know where they are going. The Dist. Center pictured in the Owner's Manual is not the same as what is under the hood. The cover is marked as part #56018905. I can email a jpg. Three of these Maxi fuses need to be pulled out to stop the heavy battery drain in the keyoff position.
    un hook you alternator and see if drain goes away just the big wire which goes to the battery on the alternator
  • mickyb1mickyb1 Member Posts: 4
    Yesterday i had to reverse into a very small parking space and had to use the mirror fold switch to stop the mirrors getting damaged.......When i returned to the car about an hour later i could not unfold the mirrors or use any of the buttons on the drivers door control panel........its like there is no power getting to the panel so i cant open ANY of the windows either from the panel or from the other door controls AND the heater is now only blowing cold air even after 30 minutes of driving.......Any ideas PLEASE
    Did you check to see if any of your fuses burned out?
    All fuses seem OK.
  • moffattmoffatt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee laredo limited, 4.0 straight 6 Im have multiple problems with it, First I noticed that my instrument lights go dim and bright of and on but after it run it dont do it as much I replaced the battery.. and now, Im having problems my pass. side doors will not work such as the windows will not go down the mirror will not move, the lock will not work I dont know if there is a connector somewhere that goes from the dash to the door? that may have possibly came loose? any ideas? all fuses r good Id greatly appreciate the help..

Thanx
    Moffatt
  • leone1333leone1333 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 automatic 4 wheel drive. with manually shifted transfer case. the 4 part time coms on intermittently and the front axles bind on hard turns in 2 wheel drive. i have replaced the transfer case assy. checked mounts shift cable????

Help!!!!!!!!!!! anyone have any ideas please email me at
    [email protected] thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • 1994jeep4x41994jeep4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 GC 4x4 4.0L I6. one day i started it and noticed my security light on the dash and my head/tail lights were flashing. The engine killed. then everytime i tried to start it back up it ran for 3 seconds and dies. pulled out the security alaram box to stop bliking so i wouldnt kill the battery. Any suggestions? I was thinking the CPS or my ECU? i might just replace both and see where i end up.
  • teddysmith1952teddysmith1952 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

First time poster. My daughters 1997 grand cherokee's battery has been draining and will only hold a charge for about 36-48 hours. We replaced the battery 6 months ago and just had it checked out and it is good.

It's been awhile since I've got into this sort of stuff but I whipped out my trusty multimeter and did some checking. I disconnected the postive cable, connected my multimeter to the post and cable and sure enough it was reading 188 milliamps of pull. I believe about 30 milliamps is normal for the clock, etc. I then proceeded to pull each fuse one at a time and when I pulled the 50A fuse, it dropped down to near 0.

According to my fuse box legend, this fuse (position 11 in the fuse box panel) is in line for the memory functions, power window, power door locks,power mirrors, remote keyless entry and the trailer tow package which we do not have.

My daughter told me that a few months ago the power door lock would not open the passenger side door which had to be opened by the internal latch of with the key from the outside. With this said, I definately see a connection between the battery drain (related to the power locks) and the door not opening when the power door lock switch is hit.

Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    go in and unhook the power lock mec on the door and see if lowers the draw on the battery if so power door lock mec on that door
    Thanks. Is the power lock mec(?) on the door located inside the door panel? Since the passenger side door is not unlocking, would that be the door I should focus on?
  • leone1333leone1333 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry first timer
    Any ideas???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some binding posts over in the maintenance and repair board - try a search there for "bind". Here's one example:

funguns, "Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair" #1460, 25 Jun 2005 5:27 pm
    inside door panal

look around the upper part of the panel should see 2 3 screews or covers bout size of dime covering heads remove screws and pry door pannel off start at the bottom
    I am still trying to track down the 3+ amp draw in my daughter's 1996 JGC. So far nobody has come up with the Power Distribution Center diagram that matches the one in her Jeep. The cover is part # 56018905. It does not match the owner's manual, and there is not one in the Haynes that we have for it. If anyone has an idea on where to get this block diagram,. I would appreciate it.
    Hi,

Perhaps you are having the same confusion I had. Just a guess. When I went to the owners manual for our 1997 JGC, it shows a fuse box located by the inside passenger "kick box" just below and to the right of the glove box. Nothing there!!!! When you go a couple of pages further in the manual, it shows the "power distribution center" which is the fuse box located right behind the battery toward the firewall. Not sure if that's what you mean. 3+amps is a huge draw!
    Thanks for the tips. I discovered that the power door locks are not working for both the front passenger and drivers side back seat. I can hear the motor trying to operate the locks but does not open and close the locks. Thanks to your procedure advise I easily removed the dooe panels and disconnected both of the power lock cables. As luck would have it, when I went to check the draw again with my multimeter, it stopped working! Tried new batteries still nothing. Will have to buy a new one.
    Thanks again
  • justj1161justj1161 Member Posts: 2
    Hey good people,

Can anyone tell me where the neutral position sensor harness is? I need to check out an odd reverse light/blower motor malfunction on my son's 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

I appreciate any help.
    Hi back to you!
    I'm not really confused about the locations. The fuse panel is inside on the passenger side kick panel. The Power Distribution Center is under the hood. I would like to see the block diagram for the PDC. The one in the Manual must be for a different year. The part number on the cover is 56018905. Thanks for the reply, though.
  • jjmm01jjmm01 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday the interior lights wouldn't go off unless they were physically turned off on the column but the "readout for an open door" didn't work for the drivers door so I assumed something was amiss with the door itself. However it did work for all other doors. Eventually the interior lights went off and I checked the fuse when I got home (it wasn't blown). We left later and none of the lights on the driver door worked (the lock and window controls) and neither did any of the controls. Now none of the windows will work. We have looked and neither of the fuse boxes have any fuses labeled for the door locks or power windows. I'm assuming it's a relay around the door or where the door wiring links in but we haven't figured out exactly how it links in. Any ideas on what may be causing this or a way to fix it without a huge garage bill? - which is where I think probably will be heading.
    I just had the same sort of problem on my 03 Grand Cherokee....No power getting to the drivers door panel.....couldnt open ANY window from ANY door switch....could not lock the drivers door with the remote and the wierdest problem was that the heater would only blow cold air.

I found the problem in the wiring between the drivers door and the fuse panel.
    2 of the thick wires that run from the interior fuse panel to the door panel had broken. I had to split the rubber gaitor that sits in the door jam and gently pull at all of the wires one at a time and eventually 2 wires came through.
    It was quite a fiddly job to reconnect but eventually used 2 small con blocks and about 6 inches of extra wire to do it........now all working OK.

I recently asked another grand cherokee owner if he had any problems of this nature and to my surprise he had THE VERY SAME problem about 6 months ago.

Suggest you look there first as this sounds very similar.

I live in England and the fuse for the power windows is 50amp J12 in the PDC under the bonnet but might not be the same on your spec.......This fuse was OK when i had my problem.

Hope this helps
  • ryelenikryelenik Member Posts: 8
    I have a 94 Jeep GCL. All kinds of electical problems. I got a wiring diagram off a site called Scribd. Maybe you can find one on there.
  • mprinohiomprinohio Member Posts: 4
    Lorraine:

Sounds like the crankcase sensor is faulty. It's a simple fix, and very common among JGC owners. Vehicle will run fine for awhile, and suddenly stall with no warning. Sometimes, the vehicle will start back up; other times, the vehicle will have great difficulty to re-start.

I actually purchased a new MOPAR crank sensor on Ebay for $19.00; had a mechanic install it for $60. Been fine for over a year.
    BartnBetsy:
    Where is the electrical control panel/unit located? How did you come upon that resolution?
    Bought the JGC new. Runs like a top; 110K miles, and in about as good a condition as a 9.5 year old vehicle can be. I've experienced a few of the electrical issues that many experience, but have managed to resolve all.

Vehicle has usually been garage kept. However, in October 2009, I left on vacation, and left the vehicle outside for two weeks. Upon my return, I found the gauges not working, all dashboard lights lit up, windows not working. Occasionally, overhead console and power locks don't work. Seems to run fine, and in driving vehicle for last three months, gauges will intermittently come on and off. FYI: When airbag light turns off, speedometer and tach come back on; no other gauges come to life.

Vehicle has been left with an electrical mechanic; in 7 days, he's found little. Diagnostics trace the issue to the instrument cluster bus, but the ICB seems to be fine; no corrosion, no bent pins, all wires appear to be fine.

I know that many of you have experienced the issue of non-functioning gauges. Has anyone found a resolution for the problem? Or...any suggestion for things to check? Any help would be appreciated.
  • marc4285marc4285 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just bought this Jeep. It needed a fuelpump and i had that replaced, then a map sensor. Now when I start it it will immediately stop. Everybody is telling my all kind of ways to reset the security system. I just need to know the correct way!
  • ryelenikryelenik Member Posts: 8
    On my 94 Grand Cherokee limited there are two ways. One is to lock and unlock the rear hatch. The other is with the keyless entry, lock and unlock a few times. I saw a way to disable the security system all together posted a while back, which I'm going to try but haven't yet.
  • floridiotfloridiot Member Posts: 3
    Four wheel discs,auto,inline six,2 whl drive. Have intermittent front brake (both)
    problem.They do not fully retract. Park the car and they will retract, This is only the
    front. Backs are ok. Vehicle has 103,000 miles, Stops straight line, no lights and ABS lite lights when car strarts and then goes out as it should. Changed master cyl
    -did not correct problem. Power booster seems ok per book tests. The pedal gets
    very hard and very little travel when this happens. Any ideas?
  • donogood1donogood1 Member Posts: 1
    The Graphic display module on my jeep blinks off and on at times and it keeps saying TAILGATE LIFT OPEN even when the lift is closed therefore causing the rear wipers not to work. Also when headlights are in the auto position sometimes they just start flashing off and on. Has anyone else had these problems?
  • 04jeepgclowner04jeepgclowner Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like my problem is roughly the same. But I checked fuses and battery cable connection. Problem is the car doesn't turn over on first try. Usually after 2 or 3. Also, the radio clock resets and the auto light feature does not always work. I've checked fuses and battery cable connection. I did replace the battery about 8 months ago due to old battery had leak and some corrosion around terminals and posts. I don't think I did a good enough job cleaning all the old corrosion as leftover corrosion residue is still evident. I did check battery fluid level and it is fine and the fuses are fine. I will clean posts and terminals this weekend but I suspect that's not it. Next resort will be to replace battery cables. Is this futile? Also, is it more likely there's a short somewhere and I really should take it in?
    I had the same problem on my Ford PU, and it turned out the flexible brake lines on both sides had swollen on the inside, restricting the return of the brake bluid to the master cylinder. If your brake components are clean of rust so that they can move freely, then it is probably those lines or the brake cylinders themselves.
  • ladytimexladytimex Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 JGC Overland that I got on 12/12/09, registered on Jeep owner website and found that recall on seat heater had never been done. Took to dealer for the switchout and next day could not feel any heat on low setting . gear shift handle was warm to touch when I went back, told it was heat coming across ?transfer. stated everything checked out fine and the original recall had been recalled. that was 2 wks ago, today gear shift handle warm stopped after 15 mins. When I got back in car later, handle warm, steering wheel hot and space between wheel and dash, car parked in shade so I knew it was not from the sun and that by the time I got back to dealer the heat would be gone. It was. Does anyone have an idea of what,s going on, because this car was working well before this and because I drive to various states to work so I know how it felt before. Going back to dealer tomorrow and I not accepting "we can't find anything" cause I'm due to get back on the road soon. :(
  • brianjacob83brianjacob83 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 jeep grd. cherokee, the PCM module clicks repeatadly when i turn the ignition switch on. i am getting plenty of fuel to the plugs but no spark, i have changed the plugs wires, rotor, dist cap, coil pack all relays in the PCM and installed a new fuel pump no fuses are blown the engine cranks fine and the rotor turns i still cant get spark i have asked a bunch of people and tried everything i have been told about but still no luck. any suggestions?
    Thanks mprinohio, I'll give that a whirl this weekend.
    Sounds like a lot of electrical issue questions, few solutions. Dang disappointing.