Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 side airbags blew up in my face with NO impact to car!

2»

Comments

• I was just wondering if you allowed them to work on the vehicle. Here at the local dealership they are wanting to know if they can go ahead and fix the dash board. The service manager here got in touch with someone in the states who wants him to send in a part to our car so they can look at it and see what is going on. We are hesitant to let them do anything to the car because I don't want it to give Subaru a reason they could get out of covering the cost. They have already told me during the first conversation, "We don't know what happened to your car, maybe a wire was cut." So I hate to do anything to it before they send someone out here to look into it because god knows what kind of excuse they could come up with after someone has touched it.
  • I think you are absolutely right in not letting them do anything to the car. It's likely that an airbag sensor was defective- it's a computer designed to detect an impact and instantaneously "tell" the airbag(s) to deploy. It's only supposed to do that at impacts that occur at speeds above about 20 mph. My dealership and others told me that. Your dealership shoud know that. The Toyota Zone sent out an engineer to determine the cause and take photos, I got a chance to speak to him, asked him the cause-reply: we don't know. Your case: Wire cut? By what? What wire? In my case, I ABSOLUTELY refused to let them fix it, fearing that since the side airbags deployed for no reason, how am I to know the fronts would deploy because of another bad sensor? From the time it happened, I refused to drive it again. Ever. I could have been killed but that it happened on a straight four lane with no surrounding traffic. A half hour earlier, I was on a very twisty, hilly road, with many drop-offs to the side. I surely would have been killed at that time. Express to the dealership you want the Zone manager involved to have the car inspected, and you are looking to have Suburu "buy back" their car from you, plus compensate you for your injuries. Tell the dealership to CALL SOMEBODY! good luck.
  • I have finally gotten in touch with someone. As soon as I called and asked for the CEO a kind lady in the executive offices took down my information and I was contacted by a Manager in the Customer Relations Department. They are now working to determine what caused the car to malfunction. Then we are going to go from there. I expressed to them my dissatisfaction with their complete disregard for my issue because we didn't live in the US. This is what it seemed to me. At least we now have the ball rolling and we can go from there.
  • Great news!! It's likely there'll be more hurdles, but you're on the right track. Nice going.
  • chrisc111chrisc111 Posts: 1
    This just happened to me too (July 17, 2009). I have a '08 RAV4 with around 7500 miles on it. The car was in a parking lot, was in park and the parking brake was on. I was not involved in any accident—I was not even moving and nothing hit my car. I subsequently contacted Toyota Corporate and the car is at the dealership to see what happened. I would be interested to hear if someone out there has some advice on how to deal with Toyota on this issue or if this is happening to other '08 RAV4s. Thanks.
  • My side airbags exploded for absolutely no reason. I thought I had been shot the sound was so loud. I was driving about 20 mph on a surface street in my town, Glendale, CA. Had I been on one of our crazy freeways I think I may have been killed. Have sent a very detailed letter to the president of Toyota in Japan. Return receipt was received and again I was pushed off to another representative in Torrance, CA who did nothing but say the car has been repaired. My Rav 4 is still at the dealership (since Sept. 30th) and I refuse to ever drive it again.

Has anyone made any progress with legal representation? I need some suggestions as I am out transportation and spending a lot on rental cars.
  • I'm the OP to this thread. Toyota finally settled with me for $40,000 but only after about 4 months of wrestling with them, and that meant 4 months of rental cars. I called and completely filled the voice mailbox of the CEO of Toyota North America whenever I had the time :lemon: , and that seemed to finally get results. Out of the 40k I had to pay the rentals but had enough to nearly pay for a new car. You have to keep on them. They will try to wait you out till you give up.Most lawyers I talked with didn't want the case. I did mine on my own. Good luck.
  • lenny20lenny20 Posts: 10
    My 2007 RAV4 V6 airbag light stays on after I drive for about two miles. Dealer says that error code is not under warrenty. There is an airbag recall out there, but dealor says it's not for this problem.

Anyone out there have experience treating with Toyota for warrenty service on a major safety issue such as airbags?
2»