Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Coupe Wheel Vibration

Comments

• jlbestjlbest Posts: 1
    I would LOVE to receive the name of the person in the Legal Dept at Honda! I have been jerked around for months of hearing about flat spots and road force balancing and multiple sets of tires, etc., etc., etc. The vibration is unacceptable and Honda is refusing to step up to the plate. I will be more than happy to call on a daily basis.
  • I've been experiencing this same problem recently and I'm really starting to get fed up with it. I've now had my car in the shop at the dealership 3 times to have the problem "fixed" and each time I leave with the shaking in the steering wheel worse than it was before I dropped it off. I bought my 2011 Accord Coupe because I'd had 2 Accord Coupes previously (1992 and 2007 V6) and they were both great cars and I never had a single problem with either of them. At around 6,000 miles I started noticing a slight shaking in the steering wheel when I'd go above 55 mph. When it first started I thought of all the possible minor things that could be causing it such as incorrect tire pressure or the tires being unbalanced. When I had the oil changed again at 10K miles I told them of the problem and when I picked my car up the mechanic told me that the tires did need balancing and that they'd road tested my car after balancing them and said it was fixed. Not even close. My car now has 11K miles on it, has been in the shop 3 times to date and is being dropped off again in 4 days and the shaking has gotten worse to the point that it's now affecting how the car drives (I can feel the entire front end of my car wobbling). Honda used to be the gold standard for affordable, reliable and stylish cars. Now it seems almost every day somebody has a new complaint about most of their product line.....mainly Accords though....and the new Civic is apparently garbage as well. In Oregon we have a Lemon Law and if Honda doesn't remedy the problem with my car fast I WILL be contacting a lawyer how specializes in Lemon Law, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and I will also contact the Consumer Protection Agency.
  • IMHO, the 2007 model year was the high point for the Accord. The quality of the Accord has quickly gone downhill since then, which is too bad.

Honda is now the "lead standard" (instead of gold) for quality & reliability. Hondas might make good boat anchors.

Good luck wth your pursuit of the Lemon Law. If all else fails, trade your car in on something else BEFORE the rest of the world figures out how crappy Hondas have become, and their values decline accordingly (no pun intended).
  • IMHO, you really have got to get over the fact that you got a bad Honda and move on with your life and enjoy your used Lexus.

Your incessant posts repeatedly commenting on the same old negative nonsense are really getting old. You really need to move on.
  • Let me ponder that for a moment.

Ummmmm..... NO!

I paid my dues by putting up with that noisy, vibrating, hard-shifting, rough-riding junker Honda calls an Accord for two years. My mission is NOT over! I will decide if and when I get bored and move on--not you.

Hey, here's a "hot flash" for you: If you don't like my posts, simply don't read them. Read something else. Since you seem to be intolerant of people with differing opinions than your's, perhaps it is you who should move on, not me. Unless of course, you work for Honda, which would explain everything.

Please have a nice day! Seriously. You seem to be wrapped way too tight for internet forums. Lighten up and ignore me!
  • The tone and demeanor of your response summed up and validated the last sentence of my post, i.e., "You really need to move on."
  • As do YOU!

Thanks again for your kind words....
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 975
    the topic here is wheel vibration so it's not surprising that we'll see some negativity but let's keep it focused on the issue and not each other.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks for intervening and stopping both of us from making bigger fools of ourselves than we already have.
  • daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    Thank you Claires for the intervention. I tried to no avail to reconcile "wheel vibration" with these personal attacks.
  • I too am having the same issue of the shimmy @ 55+ speeds. The dealer replaced both axles, steering knuckles and some other steering component and the problem still exists!! I took it in a final time and the dealer tried one more time after numerous road force balancing the tires, switching tires and wheels from another car, etc. The rep form Honda drove the car and first told me this is normal and the car has to learn the way you drive. He also was watching the RPMs and said this is a normal vibration. I was then told to drive the car for another 2 to 3 thousand miles and the problem should go away. Are they kidding me? I was also told it was the torque converter and the vibration was related to the RPMs. I then took to car to my friend who is a ASC Certified mechanic and let him drive the car with me. We got the car at highway speeds and he put the car in neutral and turned the engine off... Guess what - the problem was still there!!!!
    The RPMs or engine has nothing to do with this issue. This is a suspension issue that they cannot figure out. I am now seeking other avenues since both the dealer and American Honda have dismissed this issue claiming there is no issue since this is a normal characteristic of the car. Good luck to anyone else having this issue.
  • Just bought a 2012 SE 4 months ago, and unfortunately I am having the same problem. Did you ever get it resolved?
  • shimmy2shimmy2 Posts: 3
    I'm sorry to hear you are having the same issues. The shimmy looks like it went away for a while, but it came back when I did a tire rotation at the Honda dealer. I then took it back to the dealer which the tires were road force balanced again for the 4th or 5th time and the shimmy still exists!!

This is driving me crazy!!!!!! I paid a lot of money for this car, and do not expect to have these issues with a new car. Does anyone have a good lemon law attorney in Norther NJ that I can contact?
  • I have a 2012 Accord with the same problem. Been to 4 dealers and had the tires checked out 4 times. they haven't got a clue what's going on. My question is ... what do I do now??
  • dinofldinofl Posts: 53
    I'll tell you what was told to me on this forum in Feb 2010. You are screwed. Either try to live with it, like I did, or try and trade it for something else, like I finally did after 18 months. My new VW CC is like a dream compared to that piece of junk. Honda will not and basically cannot fix the problem. It's inherent in the design and apparently some cars are worse than others or we are just more sensitive to it. Best of luck.
  • I'm in the process of contacting the V-P of Honda Japan. I've been told by a reliable source who's in contact with Honda Japan on a regular basis that this issue may be present in North American models. Send me a message if you are interested in getting this contact info in the next week or two. I should have it by then.
    BTW, when writing, please identify what city / state or province you are in.
  • I have a 2012 Honda Accord with the same vibration problems and same problems getting the dealer to fix it. I live in Rougemont, NC and bought the car from Bryan Honda in Fayetteville, NC. They are trying but they continue to focus on the tires. Going there on 7/3/12 for 3rd visit.

Hopefully the gentleman dgonclaves can find out something positive for all of us.

Paul
  • gtoman2gtoman2 Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Hello there I have the vibration as well it started a few days ago I have 14,000 miles on it 2012 accord. I called the dealer I bought it from and he said bring it in they will fix it even if it needs rotors. He mentioned rotors? so I guess maybe they have trouble with the rotors. please drop me a line if this happen to you I live in Nashville TN Gary
  • jpotter5jpotter5 Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Honda Accord with 23k miles on it and I have been pushing our dealership for answers on it and they are supposedly aware of the issue but I have been told that there are not enough people complaining about it to warrant having them to turn this over to their engineering dept. for a fix. I was basically told to deal with it. However, the service manager that I have been dealing with said the vibration is coming from the steering rack and that they have to get special permission from Honda to do any adjusting to it because most people don't know how to adjust them. The service manager came from GM and he said they used to adjust them all the time and he has had some luck on the couple he has done on the new Accords. I have also test drove the new ones with the intent of trading but they have the same issue. I bought my car from Jerry Damson Honda in Florence, AL but the car actually came from Nashville, TN.
  • keibie40keibie40 Posts: 8
    edited July 2012
    I have the exact same problem with my 2012 Accord LX -P Sedan. I purchased it on June 30th 2012 from Honda Of Decatur but the car actually came from the Jerry Damson Honda Dealership in Huntsville AL. My irritating vibration began the very next day. After countless visits to the Service Director, 3 wheel alignments and 4 road force balances to all 4 tires it still vibrates. I have been told by the Honda Zone Manager (today) that it's not bad enough for them to justify doing anything further toward correcting the problem and to live with it because it's **the characteristics of the car** and they all vibrate. I have also driven 3 different new 2012 Accords on their lot, with the intentions of hopefully working out a deal to swap it out on July 2nd. Just as you experienced, all 3 of those had the same vibration. So, 27 days of hell and still no resolution and a refusal to try. I purchased the car, with 120 miles on it and I am now at 1,700 miles. The Huntsville AL dealership and the Decatur AL dealership have joined sides with the Honda Zone Manager and I am stuck in the world of vibration hell. Thanks much and I sincerely hope that your car gets fixed successfully. If you are successful after they adjust the settings of your steering rack, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Hi dgoncalves. Yes I am interested in getting the contact information. I would greatly appreciate it if you can share it with me. The City is Owens Cross Roads. The State is Alabama. Thank you very much in advance.
    Sorry to disappoint, but you might have better luck. I opened a "case' on 7/23/12 after 24 prior days of fighting with the only 2 Honda Dealerships within a 60 mile radius of Huntsville Alabama. One from which I purchased the vehicle on 6/30/12 and another. The Hunter Regional Representative personally came in and worked on my car. No resolution. The Honda Zone Manager was called in. He drove my car with and without me. Yesterday 7/26/12 Honda's final decision was "learn to live with it" and "it's the natural characteristics of the car.". He based decision on the fact that several other new 2012 Accords were driven and all had the same vibration. Complete denial that a problem exists with these cars and complete refusal to do anything further. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
  • I am experiencing the same vibration as the rest of you, very frustrating, as I have leased Honda Accord 4 cyl for over 20 years. this past May, the dealer gave me a better deal on the V6, so why wouldn't I least it, right! I never had problems with any other Accord, what would be different about the V6? I have felt the steering wheel and front end vibration at different speeds, some days more than others, since a few days after I drove the car of the lot. I have had the car in the service dept 3 times now and on the last visit (3 hours) their shop forman drove my car, worked on it for hours, admitting their was a vibration. All they do is balance the tires, claim they had bad balancing machine and had now purchased new equipment. nothing has changed. I also asked to test drive same car as mine while waiting for shop forman to finish working on my vehicle. The service dept presented me with the same exact Accord V6 and I drove with service rep on I-95. As soon as speed hit 55, we both felt and saw the steering wheel vibrate, felt it in both driver and passenger seats! I have a meeting with district Service/Parts Mgr this week. I am thinking now, after researching and reading all these posts that I will have to either contact attorney or the local media. Lucky for me, our Sunday newspaper had a large article on #1 Consumer complaints, vehicle-related problems! If anyone has been given a straight answer and/or resolved this issue, please let us all know!!
  • I am interested in the contact information you have. I am battling the same scenario with my 2012 accord EXL. I purchased mine 6 weeks ago and have had it back to the dealership 4 times, met with a Honda Rep and been in contact with a case manager from Honda in California. All have been telling me this is normal, and to learn to live with this vibration. I find it to very frustrating that Honda will not stand by their reputation and make customer satisfaction their priority. I am located in the boardman Ohio area.
  • Has anyone successfully had their issue with the shimmy resolved? I have my 2012 accord for 6 weeks and had 4 unsuccessful repair attempts. I am very unsatisfied with Hondas customer service. They have this arrogant attitude about their product as well as a poor response to resolving this issue and feel that this is normal for a brand new vehicle to have a vibration/shimmy. Hopefully honda starts to wise up and realize that if they continue to operate with such poor business acumen their product reputation wil have diminished.
  • Claybartrug, I would appreciate the contact information for the legal department. I would love to share my experience with him as well about my vibration/shimmy.
  • I'll assume noone has had their shimmy / vibration issue resoved as of yet. Today I will be contacting the chairman of Honda Tokoyo, Japan with full details of my steering wheel shimmy issue along with scanned copies of the dealership reports. Every dealership I've taken my car to has had one of their techs test drive my Accord V6 - each one of them agrees that there is a steering wheel shimmy. Yet they all are quick to tell me this is a normal characteristic of the car. If that be so, maybe they should be advertising that all new Honda Accords come equipped with an amazing steering wheel shimmy.
    On the other hand, just imagine what Honda could do for its image if it were to take a few steps back, truly analyze the shimmy issue to its root cause, then issue a recall or at least a service bulletin to finally resolve/repair/replace the defective part(s) causing the problem. It may cost Honda in terms of cash, however their image would benefit hundreds of times more.

Honda... are you listening to your loyal clients?
  • Thank you for your efforts on our behalf. I've had 3 new Honda's and had no reason to expect I would have the problems I've had with my 2012 Accord V6. My last visit to the dealership was to give the regional Honda Rep. a ride in my car. I did and she saw and felt the problem. However, she would NOT admit that this was a "problem". We also took another 2012 Accord V6 off the lot and took it for a ride. After it started shaking, the Rep. stated "Paul, this one is worst than yours". When I asked her if we can now consider that this is a problem, again, she would not admit to it. She is supposed to be conrtacting Honda Engineering. It is sad to see Honda treat us customers like we were idiots. They have to know that this will trash their reputation.
  • I just returned from Honda dealer where I met with "District Parts and Service Manager". He drove my car with shop forman in back seat, me in passenger seat. Hard to tell when he's driving if the steering wheel vibrates! His conclusion was "the car operated as designed." I requested that the District Mgr also state in his report the the car is safe to drive, which he did. He also kept mentioning that the tires get "soft or flat spots" as if they might temporarily cause some vibration, but would not admit that he felt anything other than normal sensation of "feeling the road". I explained to this Honda rep that I had no confidence in the Accord V-6, nor did I feel safe in this vehicle. I will be pursuing this, hopefully for all of us that have been long time Honda customers. Has anyone experienced this vibration/shimmy in a Honda model other than the Accord V-6? The reason I ask is I have leased Honda Accord EXL 4 cyl for 20 years, that means I have driven 6 Accord 4cyl and this 2012 is my first (and last) V-6. I have never had any problems with any prior Honda Accord. Whatever is causing this vibration/shimmy must be a very costly issue to fix, because I also cannot believe that Honda would treat any customer in this way. Thankfully for me, I have a few connections in the media and legal field.