Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Tribeca

Comments

• morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    Not so subtle.
    I'd say the shift from attracting the SUV set towards attracting the minivan set happened with the design softening going from the radical '06/'07 design, to the '08.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    This is just more movement in that direction. Baby steps...

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I think that it's a good thing for them to move that way since these vehicles except the Forester and OB are really not meant for offroading activities imo.

I guess they are just honing the marketing a bit.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Agreed, except for the engine. The 3.6l is actually better suited for towing.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    SoA responded that the '09s are arriving in dealer lots now.

Anyone have a link to a US brochure? I'm interested in the model line up (and pricing), more specifically, if a 5-passenger Ltd is still available this year.

Thx.
    I have the '09 US-spec Tribeca brochure and 5-passenger is still available.

Bob
    Thx Bob. Just a point of clarification, do you mean the 5 pass LTD or base is still avail?

Cheers.
    Anyone know of the 2nd row leg room in the 5 passenger Ltd is greater than the 7 pass ltd?

I ask, because in Cda, we can only get limiteds in 7 pass, and today I stopped by a local dealership with my son to look at an '09 Beca.

Disappointment. When I had the seat to a comfortable driving position, similar to my current O5 OB XTL, my son had LESS leg room than our OB....yes LESS. He told me the Beca is on the same platform as Outback.

Terrible, if the 5 passenger is the same, I'm sorry to say that the Tribeca will be officially scratched from my short list when I trade in my OB this Fall, and will shift focus to the Veracruz, Highlander and CX-7 or CX-9.

We also stopped by to see the 08 VC and the space difference is unbelievable, even in the 3rd row.

Funny thing is, even as useless as I know the 3rd row in the Beca is, the salesman said on his own accord, that my 9 yr old has outgrown 3rd row of the Beca. Nice.

Cheers.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    We've been through this many times before.
    1. the rear leg room is the same between the 5 and 7 pass, however
    2. you didn't push the rear seat all the way back.
    3. there's a safety catch that prevents it from going all the way back at once to protect the legs of the 3rd row passengers.

The 2nd row seat is movable. It slides fore and aft. Plus, to get it to go all the way back, you need to grab a second little orange handle to release the lock. As the average car salesman seems to have a shelf life of about 3 weeks, most don't ever learn about how to move the seat on a tribeca, and how to release it so it goes all the way back.

Oh- once all the way back- there is a tremendous amount of leg room. It's rather huge. But, then no room for the 3rd row. The 7 passenger is really a 5+2, but for me, that's perfect. On the rare occasion that use the 3rd row, even my 5'2" wife has no problem fitting. Guess it all depends on how big your family is, but yes, it's a kids and small person 3rd row.

Your other choices are good vehicles as well, but each has its pros and cons. I got the Beca for its better AWD system (much better). All AWD is not created equal.
    Thanks for sharing...wasn't aware and you're right...salesman was a bit a bonehead. Anyway, I will have to have another look, perhaps when i'm in Maine in a couple of weeks. Still, the 2nd row will have to go back quite a bit to make the back anywhere near spacious. As it was, with the front seat all the way back, the rear of the front seat was touching my 9 yr old's knees! So in essence, use the 3rd row and the 2nd row becomes practically useless for any average size or larger adult. Also, compared to the VC and Highlander, the space just seemed small. Anyway....I will withhold further comment on this issue until I see it again.

As much as AWD is important and as much I have enjoyed 8 yrs of Subie ownership, I'm looking to upgrade in interior space. Subaru may have a superior AWD in some cases, but as long as I have AWD of some sort, Subies AWD superiority will not make up for lack of space given this is a priority for me.
  • So the headphones are for two in the back.. if you don;t want to use them is there a way audio from the DVD can be heard through the cars speakers. I've looked at my owners manual but have not found an answer? The kids leave the headphones on, the batteries die and now one set is broken, the plastic support.. not to sure I'll have luck getting a repelacement any time soon. If the kids could hear the audio from the dvd's the I could care less about the head phones... any ideas folks? :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    This is not Tribeca-specific, but is their a wired headphone plug on the DVD player?

My aftermarket Jenson DVD player has one, meant for wired headphones, like you'd have on a walkman.

Well, I used a computer speaker wire and connected that output so my car audio's aux input, and it worked like a charm. Put the car radio on Aux and listen to the movie over the car speakers.
  • just press the AUX on your radio and listen the movie from the car speakers..very simple
  • i get it back from service on saturday in a tropical storm..i'll hit that AUX with great expectations! thanks ..... my cd player jammed one of the first few times i used it..anyone have that happen..they say they have to replace the whole thing... now they want the loaner back bwecause it will be a few days till the piece comes in... always something...still love the vehicle after giving up my 97 OB with 172500+ on it... needed more speed and airbags.. and comfort
  • tsportytsporty Posts: 13
    Actually you need to press the RSE on your radio
  • ddarttrddarttr Posts: 2
    Hello ,
    Looking at the 2009 Tribeca --any words of advice ? We have been Honda dedicated and were not making it anywhere with the pricing --and opted to try
    Subaru --the Forester / OB --while nice and better gas mileage ~~certainly didn't
    match the Tribeca for ride ...
    Any personal ownership stories would be great ~! ?

:blush: Ddarttr :confuse:
    The Tribeca has a superior AWD as compared to those used on Hondas, as it's full-time AWD, not on-demand AWD which is what Honda uses. It will likely handle better than the Pilot because the boxer engine allows for a low center of gravity.

The only real negative of the Tribeca is the small 3rd-row seat area. Also, Bluetooth will be available on some 2010 Tribecas. It's not available on 2009 and earlier models.

Bob
  • ddarttrddarttr Posts: 2
    Hi Bob ~!
    Thanks for your input ~~! We have only on occasion used the 3rd row of the Pilot, and were primarily looking for the 5 seat. We were amazed at the test drive --after taking the Forrester and the Out Back --we were "wowed". I started the test drive and
    found myself going -ut-oh" and chuckling within the first mile or two. Funny how some cars choose you ~lol. We really wanted the Odyssey - but the Tribeca seems to out shine it ~! It sounds like the new 2010's come out in October- November. Our dealer said they can get us whatever we want of the 2009's --easily ordered ...interesting to see that dealers generally only have 1-3 on their lots. Seems odd~~not big sellers ?
    Thanks again ~!!
    ddarttr :)
    No, the Tribeca has never been a big seller. For most, the issue is the 3rd-row seat space. It's really a very good car, a real sleeper in the marketplace if you will. :)

Bob