Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Problems

shillelaghshillelagh Posts: 17
I have an 08 Outlook XR with 4800 miles. Took in for 1st service and the dealer found a problem with the cam timing. After 12 days in shop with a left cylinder head and twin camshaft replacement, the vehicle now has a "harmonic" roar at 40 and 60 mph. I've had it in the shop on 5 separate occasions for the roar. The service dept says they can't hear it or duplicate it. I notified Saturn Customer Satisfaction in Tn. and they literally told me it's my imagination. The dealer says there were 263 Outlooks throughout the U.S. with the defective heads. Has anyone else had the problem?

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Yes. Check the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia boards. Lots of cam shaft problems. Same engine as the Outlook.
  • bikerider5bikerider5 Posts: 3
    I just pulled into my driveway, put my 2007 Outlook with 20M miles in park,, and the key will not go to the off position- it is stuck in the ACC position, leaving the dash lights on and the key in the ignition. I called Onstar, they connected me to Saturn and no one can figure out the problem. My right turn signal is "fast" flashing now, leading me to believe there is some electrical anomaly, but nobody can figure it out. The car still runs fine - but I can't safely park it. Made triple sure it was in park - but no luck on moving the key - I'm afraid to force it and bust the key off in the ignition. My Saturn dealer is closed today and I can't figure out where the battery connections are to keep the battery from croaking. Would love some help from anybody!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    My right turn signal is "fast" flashing now, leading me to believe there is some electrical anomaly...

That would be due to a weak battery or a defective capacitor in the flashing circuitry.

I take it you have already tried pulling the key while nudging the steering wheel left and right?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bikerider5bikerider5 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the idea - the wheel freely moves a both ways - no wheel lock engaged when I am trying to move the wheel- and no give in the key either.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Try the same thing again but this time hold the brake pedal down.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • svishsvish Posts: 1
    What was the resolution? i am dealing with same problem
  • fkarasfkaras Posts: 14
    mine juat did same senario , what is solution to this
  • I had a trailer hitch and electronics installed. the technician trashed the electrical punch block when installing the electrical connections for my trailer and this problem caused the key to lock in the ignition. The dealer fixed it $500 and 10 days later by repairing the technician's botched work. Good luck. :shades:
  • fkarasfkaras Posts: 14
    did they keep traler hitch wiring or take it out.,,,,. feels like all negatve grounds malfunction in cabin area
  • maryt3maryt3 Posts: 1
    my o7 did it in july, 37 manhours at the dealer, plus a $600 bcm, did it again about 4 weeks later, same issues, key stuck, window wont work, moonroof, right falsher, left headlight,remote starter, etc all non working again, been at the dealer for 5 days, now they cant get it to run!!!! And, GM says since I went over the warrany( by 600 miles) since the previous repair, they wont give me a rental and are considering whether to pay for the repairs!!! no wonder they went bankrupt, I just want it back so I can trade it in for a toyota!
  • slamb09slamb09 Posts: 2
    To make a long story very short, we purchased an 08 Outlook back in Oct of 08 new. The next day I noticed little orange spots all over the car. I told the dealer about it and they said it was road grime and would take care of it. Needless to say it still has not been taken care of and after Satuns closings, I have also been told it was an old type of tire shine they used. Buffing, and an alleged wet sand was done with the spots still there. Now I take my Outlook to a local Chevy dealer for a recall on the heated wiper fluid and find out that the spots are from the brakes. The metallic shavings and dust attach themselves to the paint and will not come off. Goo gone wouldn't even take it off. They Clayed my entire car and it took their body shop 1 full day and another morning to get it all off. They said it is on all Outlooks but the white (what we have) and silver show the spots best. The spots are also going to come back again within months but the dealer won't do it again since this is a " 1 time customer satisfaction." My Outlook has only 14k on it and I told Saturn of the shaking in the front end before they went under and they said that there was no problem. Chevy saw the problem right away and took care of it. My rotors were warped already. So what do I do with this? I spend the money on a vehicle new like this and I have to spend money out of my pocket now because of their brakes. Not to mention the metallic from the brakes is probably not good for the clear coat/ paint over time. Any ideas are welcome.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    its rail dust and was very common on those. my 08 outlook (diamond white) also had this. they have a clay bar they rub it with to remove the metal filing from the rail. once done properly it wont come back.
    f or what its worth im pretty sure outlooks didnt have steering wheel locks so wiggling steering wheel wouldnt help. most gm cars no longer have this feature as anti theft is done n a different way.
  • slamb09slamb09 Posts: 2
    Saturn told me it was road grime, then the said it was tire dressing, and now the chevy dealer who I am taking it to for GM work say it is the metallic brakes causing this. They did a "one time" customer satisfaction claying which the Outlook looks beautiful now, but they said it will return. They said it is on all Acadia's and Outlooks, but only the white, pearl white (which I have), and silver show it best.
  • sal21rsal21r Posts: 1
    I am starting to think that buying a saturn was the worst thing I could have ever done. I am currentley in germany and have been having issue after issue with my vehicle. I had an issue right before I left with half cocking the key and then pulling it out, the car would start up even though the key was being pulled out. The US Saturn dealer said it was my fault for installing a dvd player. The german mechanic fixed it and said it was a defect with the ignition system, 700 EUR later turns out he was right.

The vehicle is a Saturn Outlook and the steering wheel does lock. Thought you might want to know.
  • We bought our Outlook new in April 2007. We take care of our cars and properly service them. The problem is that the Outlook is unreliable and I don't know what to expect from GM now that I have made a claim through the BBB.

First the list of problems, failed water pump, leaking A/C compressor, brake booster failure, headlight failure, transmission sensor failure (while on vacation), steering wheel column replacement, steering rack replacement, oil cooler failure, timing cover failure, both rear lamp assemblies corroded (we live in Southern California) and a few I'm sure I'm forgetting.

That is all in the first 51,000 miles. Does anyone have any experience with GM customer service? I'm hoping they will do something for me so I don't have to hire a lawyer.
  • hlcole2hlcole2 Posts: 1
    I have a saturn 07 outlook with 92,000 miles. I've had it in for the timing recall a few years ago (when the recall first came out) all they did was reprogrem my computer. I just received a letter a couple weeks ago saying the problem hasn't been fixed. When I brought it to the dealership they told me it was just an informational letter and I just need to keep it "incase" I have an issue down the road. But reading the posts, it sounds like if I have an issue, it will happen while I'm driving. I don't see why they can't replace the timing chain now to prevent major engine work needed later?

I also have been noticing that my vehicle seems to feel like it's going to stall and not really wanting to accelerate. This issue just started within the last couple of weeks. This isn't all the time, just every so often. I also have been noticing when the car is turned on and in park the engine running has a very different sound than it used to have. Not sure if these two things are related or not. The thing that really concerns me is that today when I went to start my vehicle, it started very hard and when it did end up starting it smelt like either exhaust or gas afterwards, inside and outside of the vehicle. Tonight I went to go somewhere and my vehicle started ok but again I smelt either gas or exhaust. Has anyone experience these problems with their outlook?
    letter says warranty on timing chains has been extended past 5 yr 100k miles if you have a problem.
  • GM made me an offer today....$3,000.00 toward the purchase of a new GM vehicle. I was both surprised and insulted how they could treat a loyal long term customer. The GM representative freely admits that the vehicle has not lived up to its express warranty but basically, that's too bad for me. Why do I have to hire a lawyer when a car manufacturer sells a clearly defective vehicle. Our Saturn has had a multitude of problems and has little resale value even with low miles. I'm very disappointed in GM, maybe I should be buying German Japemese or Korean vehicles next time. What happened to made in the USA? :mad:
  • My 2007 Outlook has been babied. Just replaced my second Rack and Pinion on the steering system. first at 29,000 second at 48,000. Whats next. Thank God I had an extended warranty.

slickrick1735 :mad: