Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• malachisdadmalachisdad Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I have to drive a minivan now, but I don't have to make me a soccer dad. Are there any performance parts or chips for a 2002 silhouette? :confuse:
  • twocentplstwocentpls Member Posts: 2
    Check the connector plug to see if it is not burnt. I had an issue with the turn signal blinking fast then a message will come up saying to Service Traction Control. The root cause was a burnt connector that plug into the tail light housing. I even had to replace the tail light circuit board because one light wouldn't come on.
    part# for the connector is PT246. Forgot what the part number for the tail light circuit board. I purchase both parts at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. Much cheaper than the dealer.
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    I put a meter on the switch, it's the switch. The plastic switch itself is broken, if I hold it just right the window works just fine.

I need a new switch.

Thanks.
    Our 1999 Silo is getting some cupped wear on the fronts so at 71,000 I'm going to put new struts on.

Bilstein?
    Monroe?

Any feedback?
  • gedgoudaslgedgoudasl Member Posts: 21
    When I purchased my 02 Silo the hose interface for the air compressor in the rear was missing. Hose comes as part of an expensive kit. Does anyone have an inexpensive fix so I can air up the beach ball?
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    My wife's 2003 silo driver's window also wouldn't close for a few hours and then eventually go up. My mechanic was ready to blame the window motor until he checked it and then replaced the switch.
  • clinge1clinge1 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Silhouette wears out tires faster than I can put them on it. It has just over 84000 miles. Has anyone ever heard of installing "shims" on the rear wheels to correct an out of alignment problem? I am told that is the solution to my problem. I'm skeptical. The front end was aligned about 5000 miles ago. I've never heard of aligning the rear wheels?
  • boga228boga228 Member Posts: 50
    The only store that told me that the rear needed alignment was Sears. They even showed me the parts they need to install to correct the alignment. I did not have it done.
    I've had one 4 wheel alignment done to the Silo. Now at 70,000 miles I've only replaced the tires one time.

Now I've gotta do struts and shocks, $800 including a 4 wheel alignment. Those self leveling shocks aren't cheap. Then it's time for a new set of tires (fronts anyway), front brakes and rotors...

Ouch.

Every car needs regular maintenance. This van should be good to 100,000 at least, it still looks new and everything works nice, with new shocks it should drive pretty nice again.
  • talldetroitytalldetroity Member Posts: 5
    My 1997 Oldsomobile Silhouette has 158,468 milage, do any of you know when this van might stop due to milage, or what milage it might stop
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Our 2000 Silo now has over 111K miles. At 100K we did about $1400 of work, including shocks and struts. Best place to get the air shocks is from gmpartsdirect.com. You can save over a hundred dollars on them, even after shipping. We got ours from there, and took them to the mechanic who installed them. If you need a dealer-only part and don't need a dealer to install it, see them first. It seems that GMpartsdirect.com is really Flow Chevrolet in the carolinas.

We just had a rebuilt steering rack installed, which cost another $800.

My wife hates to fly, so we've done 2 2500+ mile vacation trips this year. With 5 people and a sears 20 Cub foot rooftop carrier, we still got 22 MPG on the highway.
  • pt888pt888 Member Posts: 1
    I have a very old (1992) model with over 200K on the odometer. Recently the hood latch broke and I am trying to figure out how to get the hood open. Does anyone know any tricks on how to unlatch the hood on these old models?

Also this one has a kill switch built in where you need to push the cruise control button on the stock when you start the engine. Was this an Olds option or an aftermarket option? If an Olds option, can this feature be disabled easily (e.g. programmed so you can start the Van with just the key)?

Thank you,
    Patrick
  • siberian1siberian1 Member Posts: 1
    Mikey,
    I've been fight with the P1404 error for a month now.
    I replaced the EGR valve and it went away for a few month but came back. The next thing on my list is to remove the EGR valve ( which is a pain) and clean the thing out.
    What exacly did they do to fix your? I really don't want to remove the EGR again.
    I hope the fix worked for you.
  • faustfaust Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a '95 Silo and am having a problem with the battery going dead. I notice that the courtesy light fuse (courtesy lights, dome lights, power mirrors, power locks) was removed by the prior owner. They also disconnected the underhood light. I exopect the problem haas been around for a while. If I put a volt meter across teh the terminals with the fuse removed, I get about 11.5 volts. All of the fused items seem to work, except the power mirrors. I do get 12 volts at the power wirror switch and the ground is good (I get 12 volts between the power line at the switch and the ground wire). I suspect that the mirror motors are bad.

Except for the mirrors, all of the items on that fuse seem to work.

Any ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place just because I noticed that the fuse had been pulled?

When I disconnect and reconnect the battery, I get a fairly good spark at the positive terminal. That makes me think I have a real short somewhere. Are there any common problems?
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I have a vibration driving above 40 mph. It seems like a pavement vibration with a frequency about that of the off the road indicators if one goes too far right. I have replaced all tires with a front end alignment. The problem is worse on left turn curves. Has anyone else seen this?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    My local dealer (whom I have been a loyal customer to for about 10 years and has been fabulous in the customer service departmen) has a Dark Teal 2001 Olds Silouhette with 53000 miles that is being traded in by a one owner elderly couple for a new Terazza. The salesman that I always deal with is willing to sell it to me for 8900 bucks. He said that is what the breaking point for them on this vehicele. No profit. (I obviously don't beleive him on that one) I don't have the option package (GL, GLS or Premeire) But I have a feelig it is the GLS. Does this sound like a fair price? I checked on autotrader and several vehicles in this price range are selling for around 10-11,000 bucks. I will find out today what package this vehicle has on it.

Thanks for your help.
  • pignessx1pignessx1 Member Posts: 8
    Call Contiental Warranty. I have the same crappy van. I got full coverage for an extra 24k miles for $1,200.00. I have more problems out of my van than I ever want to think about, but yours caught my eye since I had the same thing happen with the intake manifold at 75k. I also have posed automatic slider side door and a horn that honks for no reason. Good Luck!
    My 2001 did the same thing and they had to change out the intake manifold. It was evaporating coolant. You might want to take it in and have it looked at.
    Be careful.... Why is she selling? I bought one like that. I wish I hadn't. Lots of headaches out this year model. My neighbor has a 2001 Venture with almost exact same problems that my 2001 Silhouette has had. Intake Manifold replaced, auto slide door (doesn't work right even after being in and out of the shop for over 38 days for that problem, lighting in my dash had to be re-placed, both front window have had all motors and switches replaced, and the list goes on and on. Fortunately, all of this was covered under my extended warranty, but if it hadn't been it would have been big $$$$$'s.
  • onelordonelord Member Posts: 9
    Its a sensor in your transmission that cause this prob. It wont happen all the time but sometimes. I have this prob now.
    I had new rear shocks put on the back of our (early) '99 silo. They are self leveling. Now the van adjusts up, but it never goes down, it just adds air.

It did not do this prior to the new shocks.

Suggestions?
    Did you get the GM shocks? Aftermarket third-party shocks will not work correctly in the silo. If you need new shocks, you can save a lot from gmpartsdirect.com. That's where we got ours for our recently-departed 2000 Silo (replaced by a new 2006 Ody, that's another story).
    a number of members have put aftermarket rear shocks on these vans with no complaints. My problem is that the system is not venting to release the pressure in the system.

I put in a new leveling arm [non-permissible content removed]., but that was not the issue and the dealer kindly took the part back. So the sending unit that tells the system to lower is not working or the vent is clogged or the delay system is allowing the vent to open. Problem is the diagnostic instructions I have don't have the right colors for the wires, I need to test with the White wire! There is no white wire! DDOOOHHh.

I need the correct diagnostic instructions for a '99 Premiere.

Anyone just bypass the ride level and use the plain old air shocks like we did in the '70's?
  • troy3000troy3000 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the headlight from a 1992 Pontiac Transport will fit a 1992 Olds Silhouette?
  • eugenetsaieugenetsai Member Posts: 2
    I have the same van and am having the same problem. The van is just over 100K miles. The dealer wants $2,000 to fix it. Am wondering if this is reasonable and if you ever get yours fixed. The van is in good shape and I hate to spend that money without checking for alternative.

Thanks.
  • jayray38jayray38 Member Posts: 6
    I have a problem with my driver's side power sliding door on my 2002 Silhouette Premiere. The door opens fine but when you close it (using any buttons)it keeps trying to close even though it's already in the closed position. I can still hear the motor (actuator?)still trying to close the door. After a few seconds of this the door opens back up by itself. Any ideas?
    Try using a soft pencil eraser to clean the contacts at the bottom of the door.
    Thanks for the reply....however I had already tried that only I used some steel wool and lightly cleaned them..still no different. Any more ideas anyone?
    ;) Thanks for the help anyways.I got it fixed....I disconnected the positive battery cable for 5-10 minutes , hooked it back up and it works as good as new again.
    Had water come from roof console for a second time. Seems like a common problem with the GM minivans. Anyone know what the fix is?
  • samm00samm00 Member Posts: 6
    Hi there - had the transmission serviced was told had metal in it and asked if it clunked - NO - but then a week later it starts to clunk intermittantly on acceleration - is this the transmission or? Do you keep driving on it or better to fix it asap?? Cheapest options please
    Thanks
  • lalalandlalaland Member Posts: 9
    We had this problem last year. THe heat guage would spike up and down, there was no heat put out in winter time either. I believe ours was the intake manifold gasket. The part cost $75 and the labor over $1000. It took them almost 2 full days to do the repair.
  • eugenetsaieugenetsai Member Posts: 2
    What model year do you have? Mine is '98. The head gasket problem started 3 months after we replaced the manifold gasket.

Not saying this would happen to you but the head gasket was a $2k repair to us.
  • cheapfokkercheapfokker Member Posts: 4
    Can any of you share any other owner sites/groups?

Thanks!
    I have an 02 Premiere, and the DVD must be played either through the stereo, or the wireless headphones. I want to listen to FM, but then set up a speaker in the back for the DVD, my 2 y/o can't quite listen to headphones. I thought of rigging up some sort of speaker to the wireless frequency....would that work? Anyone know the frequency?
    Well.....I was hoping it wouldn't happen but it did. Took it in for an oil change and mechanic found that unmistakable brown sludge on the oil cap. Gasket blew. Three days and $2100 later the girl's back on the road. Chalk me up as another one of those Statistics! I just can't believe GM turns their back on this problem and doesn't do a recall! :mad:
    I have an 02 Silo w/AWD. Recently, the AWD Disabled light has been coming on, right after the front tires spin in the snow, not in heavy use. I know the manual says it will disable under heavy use, but this happens after only 100 feet of driving. Could there be another reason why it's overheating? I took it to a GM dealer, and they said the codes aren't stored in the computer, and have no idea why it's doing it. They said "it's designed to do it". I have a hard time believing that one, that it can get stuck on a flat road with the front tires spinning.
    Followup

I just bought this vehicle from a dealer. I was informed it's still under a 6/60 warranty. I was told it needs a new rear 4wd assembly...they are paying for it in full! They said it's a $3700 part!! Did I luck out or what!!
  • tuscdragontuscdragon Member Posts: 1
    I have an olds that is haunted! The wipers work only if I cut the switch on and off with every swipe. The blower motor to the ac/heat works sometimes, sometimes not. At times, it works only after I hit a bump. The ac is not cool. Sometimes the blower blows lightly, as if it were on 1 when on 5. The door window will not roll up. All of the lights, interior and exterior surge sometimes when driving. The transmission will not downshift sometimes, sometimes it's fine. We have replaced the alternator, battery, and the computer module. Nothing works thus far. Do you think I should be so lucky to find it's simply a battery connector? A simple fix would delight me!
    1. Make sure your negative/ground connection is solid
    2. Make sure your positive battery cable is good. It should have been evaluated when the battery and alt were replaced.
    3. You may have a bad switch somewhere. I had the window issue like yours on my intrigue. Pounding on the door would jostle it enough to reset. Replacement fixed it.
    4. Was the car in an accident? Or in lightning storm?
  • shellierbshellierb Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Hi,

I just bought my 95 van around valentines day for 1400. I ran it out of gas due to gauge not functioning properly but right before doing so it started doing exactly what you described and now it does it all the time it acts like it needs to be blowen out or something it will start jerking and will stop if I let off the accelorator or if I step on the accelorator it will stop after a few seconds but will come right back but mostly does it on the freeway. I have no clue what it is and was wondering if you found out what was wrong with yours????

shellie
  • wemicwemic Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. My wife has a the above car and has a serious leak somewhere near the back of the engine. The scenario is that she has had some problems getting heat this winter. Just this past week, here coolant level light came on and she found the reservoir about empty. Refilling and driving a bit resulted in the same condition after about 40 miles. Today, I refilled the reservoir and had someone step on the gas while I took a look underneath. I saw a pretty good amount of coolant hitting the ground at about the back of the engine near the longitudinal center of the car. There is also not a heat problem when the reservoir is full. Under the carpet mat on the passenger side is dry. I suspect the hoses/connection leading to the heater core or something similar in that system. Is my deduction correct? Also, I'm having trouble finding an online source for diagrams/repair instructions. From the looks of things, I'll have to go in through the dash to get to this problem. Correct? Thanks for your anticipated help.

Derek
  • jes27jes27 Member Posts: 3
    Not quite rotted out but definetly on the way. In the process of changing fuel pump & filter, happened to notice this. Interesting how they rot out right after the support member but not before. Didn't look like fun to change. Sprayed them with rustoleum for lack of any other idea @ the time. Just a backyard mechanic not sure about tackling those line changes.
    Have an intermittent misfire while traveling around 40mph. Have changed the plugs,wires,coil packs,fuel pump & fuel filter. just wondering if anybody had any other suggestions before I bring into dealership.
    Thanks for any help
    Might want to check out post #1082. Could be someting to look at.
    Driver's heated seat now burning my left leg and the power back adjustment for the driver's seat won't go all the way up without me tugging on it a couple of times ( seems like it's binding ) anyone else have either one of these probs before that can help me out?
  • shellierbshellierb Member Posts: 2
    hi
    Just bought this 95 silo from a owner with no manual and cant find a button to open the back hatch door is there one???
    Shellie
    I would think it would be built into the handle. You need to unlock the hatch using the power door locks or the remote.
  • lalalandlalaland Member Posts: 9
    Intake manifold Gasket. Puts out no heat, yet at the same time overheats your engine. Open up your checkbook real wide....
  • wemicwemic Member Posts: 2
    I did better than that....used it as a trade-in toward a Saab 9-3.