Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti I30/I35

Comments

• The I30 is not an old man car! That honor would go to a Buick LaSaber or the new Avalon.

The I30 is for someone who doesn't feel the need to follow the pack. Someone who wants a reliable car, with little maintenance cost, nice performance, room, creature comforts, knows the car/engine will last for 15 years, and for a great price! You can not find a similar car for less than 30K!!!!!!!!!

All cars have some sounds when driving but this car is excellent in what you get for the price. Why pay 10K more just for a name?

My brother and I each have the I30. Yes, it may not have the mass appeal of the Lexus, but who cares. We have not had any problems, saved a bundle, and love the engine/performance! And we are not old! (30's)

The up keep of this car is so simple. I just change my own oil and thats it! No service costs to speak of.

So don't concentrate on the little sounds or occasional rattle (we both don't have any significant ones), just DRIVE THE CAR and enjoy it knowing you got a bargain!!

STEVE
  • Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. Did you read what mhammy84 had to say about his I30...Sounds like he is having all sorts of problems. Can't tell what year but apparently not a 2k or 2k1. I know the 97's had the vibration problems he is referring to. The 2k's sometimes have the TCM problem...I am still determining whether mine has it or not. Posts like mhammy84 and others worry me a bit. Saying things like, "I will never buy another Nissan product again!" Just don't see that in the Lexus camp.
    I do agree with you about the value of the car. It has much more to offer in its price range than other cars. It is roomier, has more creature comforts and the overall design is classier and more recognizable than some of the other cookie cutter cars. I do believe it to be a bargain as long as I don't have the problems I read about.
    The engine is nice but I am just not sure about the transmission. One cannot be good without the other. It probably is not quite as quiet as some on the road, however, that was a trade off in my mind for actually feeling the road. I like to feel in control.
    I am over the whole "old man car thing." Looks wise it is sportier than most. Performance wise--well, it leans much more in turns than I like and feels heavy getting off the blocks. I don't feel it to be as nimble as I thought in the test drives and as other cars. But again, barring any problems, there is not a car out there with as much value and goodies for the money. Paid 30,283 out the door! That is with 7.75 California rip-off sales tax. $27,681 was the price before tax, license, etc. Darn good deal!

By the way, mhammy84, 36k for an I30t is a rip off. That is the dealer though. A little negotiation would get a nice price on the car.
  • My understanding is that the TCM issue is that if you hit the gas hard from a stop that the car will say in first longer and slowly get into 2nd.The TCM just sets the shift points. Some don't like how that feels so they can have the TCM replaced. However, there is no proof this will lead to a faliure of the transmission. Testing it,I have only noticed it if I push hard when the car is cold; it doesn't seem to happen when warm. However, in general it is not good to push any car when it is cold, so it doesn't effect my everyday driving.

If you look at Comsumers Report listing of problems with the I30, it has an excellent record and much above average in all areas as far back as 1996. So I am not at all worried that it won't last!

STEVE
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Posts: 167
    No doubt, the Infiniti WILL last years and years, but with the problems I am experiencing, I wonder sometimes how long MINE will last. Another '97 I30 I test drove had the same vibration problems mine has at idle...you just wonder why a damn Infiniti does that. This time around, I opted for the Acura TL and I also picked up the new 3.2 CL. They are both very nice cars, and feel MUCH more solid and are quieter than my I30. Because of my I30's problems, I have a feeling it is very delicate. After the snow storm here, teh streets were not plowed too quickly, and remained very bumpy. When driving over them with the I30, I felt like I was in a standard car, more like a Mitsubishi galant or something (more ordinary compared to an Infiniti). However, today I drove over the same streets with my 3.2 TL and the car felt more solid over the bumps, less noise, and just overall, more reliable. I took a 2 hour drive to Toronto, and opted to take the 3.2 TL since it feels more reliable, and is more powerful. My I30 seems to have a significant loss of power, quite possibly because of the "vibration problem." Also, when my father drove both my I30 and the CL/TL, he immediately proclaimed the I30 an "old man's car." (exact words!) Sure, the shocks are stiffer (i have the "t" model), however, the steering wheel is SO incredibly easy to turn, so loose. Not tight like the TL/CL, which obviously delivers a better feel of the road, and better handling. We used to own a Buick LeSabre (believe it or not), and the steering wheel resistance is very close to the I30 (loose), and very far from the TL/CL (stiff).

Hulkster: You stated that you have heard of the vibration problem in many cases with the 97 I30's. Can you possibly give me more details on what you know about it? Would you possibly know what part is causing this problem, or do you know anyone with an I30 that had/has this problem? Thank you very much...
    Just a reminder that my '97 I30t has only 23,000 miles on it...so keeping that in mind, reconsider my feelings regarding the problems I am experiencing, how "delicate" the car feels, and how the car already has a significant loss of power. Seems like the car really only lasted 2 years, yet aged 7 years in that time (it takes a good 7 years and 90,000 miles before your car really starts to lose power significantly). I am really worried that my dealer wont be able to/will refuse to fix my problem (even though its under warranty still).

Sacuderi: The Infiniti is a good value, no doubt about that. However, I dont see the 10K difference with a Lexus you are talking about. If you move up 10K from the I30 over to the Lexus line, you would be looking at a GS series car. The ES series car is comparable in price. sure, the MSRPs are high when calculated, but Lexus will also move on prices just as Infiniti would. Over all, you may be about 1000 (rougly estimating) over the Infinti price if you opted for an ES300, but would own a REAL care-free car. As I said before, if you were already shelling out over 30K's for a new luxury car, the 1000 should not make a large difference when considering this is a CAR you are buying, and most probably something you will be keeping for a few years. Rather than risk the problems (like I did), go ahead and get the Lexus! Our Acura is not very problematic at all either, and was UNDER 30,000! However, I cannot speak for the car 20,000 miles down the road, since I am unaware as to what will happen, but I can say the acura sure does feel a hell of a lot more solid than the I30 (even my 2000 Camry feels superior to the I30). These are just my opinions, I would be glad to hear what others think! Thanks...
  • robnisrobnis Posts: 78
    When I test drove the I30 a couple months ago there was a couple around 30 years old that just bought one. If you want an "old man's car" get a Caddy, Buick LeSabre, or an Avalon.
  • I just picked up an Infiniti I30t 2 weeks ago. I considered almost every brand around the 30k price mark. I looked at the Lexus ES300, Audi A4, Acura TL, Volkswagen Passat, Volvo S60, BMW 3series and even the Mercedes C class. I think they are all really good cars. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Lets be honest - no car is perfect. Ultimately you pick the one that appeals to YOU the most. You end up making a rationally subjective choice based on the experiences and information you were presented with by each of the auto makers marketing (and design) departments.
    If you read these boards (like I did for 3 months religiously prior to purchase) you will drive yourself crazy looking for the BEST car. In fact, it seems to me that the typical person in these boards is here to complain not praise. People who are happy with their purchase don't tend to run around telling everyone about it. It is the people who have a problem that make all the noise.
    So how do I like my new car? It's great. Hell, it's a new car ... who doesn't like a new car. Of course it isn't perfect. Nothing is. I wish people would stop obsessing. There are a lot more important things in life to worry about.
  • Just how many cars do you have? So far I have counted a Camery, an Acura or is it two? Plus an I30. Next time I am in the market for a car I had better come over to your place as it would seem you have better selection than some dealers!
    I am kidding of course. Really, it is none of my business how many cars you have. I get the impression you know what you like, having experienced so many different vehicles.
    I am curious though, why did you get an I30 in the first place? You seem impressed with the Camery and its feel...why not the ES300 then?
    You have a 97 I30 and perhaps you did not like the ES300 back then? Have you driven the 2001 I30? I think you will find it to be much quieter, though I can't say for sure because I never drove the 97 model. I did test drive a 2000 ES300. It was quiet and smooth. Gave me a feeling of being a passanger rather than a driver. Best way I can explain it. I felt like if the car got out of control, I would be the last to know about it! Quite an erie experience.
    Sorry, I can't help you with your mechanical issues concerning your transmission. I had only seen multiple posts about it. Maybe you should trade it in for an ES300?
  • Right on Redbaretta! People are sometimes obcessing! I have to admit I have been one of them. You are right though, there are way many more important things to worry about. However, I have to ask you, why did you post then? To praise or to problem? Maybe to set the rest of us straight perhaps? You know, I believe people experience a bit of buyers remorse. It is a common thing especially at this price range. 30,000 clams is nothing to sneeze at, well not for me anyway. The first hint of a crackle, rattle or shake, however minor it may be, causes us to doubt our decision. Maybe the other car is better. We look out our window while driving down the road and see all the other models we thought about and think...well, should I have? That has happened to me and I think others.
    So, to put my compulsive obsessive behavior to rest, I would like to ask you, why did you finally settle on the I30 from the rest of the cars you listed? Seeing that the car has sometimes been dubbed the "old man car," can you also tell me what age group you are in? Sorry if that question is a bit over the top.
  • Been off-line for a few days; just catching up. Huckster, to answer your question about my 2K I30t improved acceleration, it seems to be at all speeds and the car is just short of 10,000 miles. Also, when you floor it off the line it will rev close to redline before it shifts to second. I consider that to be normal. That engine should handle it with no problem. If it bothers you - don't floor it! I had a 96 Maxima that I sold with 40K miles and no problems whatsoever. I have faith in these cars.
    I too went thru the new car anxiety "did I spend $30+K on the right car?" I have no worries now. My I30t is Titanium with the touring package (spoiler and ground effects rocker panels). It definitely doesn't look or handle like an "old man's car". Just yesterday a mailman at the 7-11 made a comment about how sharp the car is. I had a minor accident and had to put the car in the body shop for 5 days. Rented a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. What a piece of s**t! I couldn't wait to get back into my car.
    The I30 is an "entry-level" luxury car. I don't expect perfection, but mine is damn close!
    Another plus is the trunk size and fold-down rear seats a lot of cars don't have. I've carried a stepladder with no problem.
    If I hear any noises I'll let y'all know.
  • How old was the mailman?
  • Funny question by Sascuderi. Everyone has a different perception of the I30. I think it is sportier than some and not as sporty as others. I bought the car for its amenaities. Rear Sunshade--pretty cool...Don't usually see that until you go up the ladder in price. Dimming mirrior with integrated compass--pretty hot. Really don't need the nav system but sure that is cool too! 200 watt Bose system--darn nice. Memory driver's seat with two memory settings--really nice. The ease of entry and exit seat, nice, though I usually turn mine off. How about the room in this car! Still fairly compact on the outside but inside everyone gets to stretch out. Car is still pretty nimble for its size, though as I have said before, I wish it was a bit more responsiveness with less body sway. Large trunk with the fold down seats--really nice! Then you have the one touch everything (both driver and passanger windows and sun roof! With the exception of some, say Volkswagon, you don't get that on a car in this range. I also bought the car for its V-6 (One of the best if not the best built in America).
    The car in my opinion falls down a bit because of the transmission. Even that may be my experience along with a few others. Seems a bit jumpy. Coming to a stop the car drops one more time slightly. Is it as quiet as say a coffin like Lexus?--no. There a few crackles here and there on some bumps I thought there shouldn't be and then on some other harsher road conditions there is no noise at all. Go figure? I bought the car because I actually felt uneasy in the Lexus. It drove me and not the other way around!
    So, after about six or seven quotes from yours truly about whether I made the right purchase decision, I have decided to give it a rest and say yes! This is an overall yes. Now, if the transmission falls out tomorrow, which I believe it won't, well I will be back. For now, I am with you Motorhead6--the car isn't perfect and at 30k+ no car is going to be. I will enjoy what I have. By the way, that clock continues to impress the heck out of people when they get inside. The interiors of the competing cars look cheap in comparison. Even the ES300 with real wood still looks like a Camery! Not a bad thing, but if I wanted a Camery I would buy a Camery. It is a cool car for any age. Stylish, good performance and some of the best amenaties you will find in its class!
    "So endeth the lesson."--Seam Coneery, The Untouchables.
  • Whoops! Forgot about the integrated steering wheel stereo controls! Awesome! Not only a nice thing to have but a real safety feature in my opinion. How many people do you see blasting down the road at 80mph and fiddling with their stereo's? Same people you see on the side of the road having caused an accident. The cruise control is right their on the wheel and very easy to use!
  • ive been gone a few days so im just catching up.

As columnist Alan Pergament would say, "its one of those opinionated days"....

mhammy>>>>> speaking of under car damage, i was driving my 'Vette (chevette that is) on tuesday down transit road and it brought me back to the days when i used to off road in my moms Grand Cherokee. some roads still dont have that bumpy ice crap off of them and its Saturday!! it will melt before they get to it. well anyways, all that bouncing pulled the wire that was holding the heatshield to my catalytic convertor off, so it was dragging on the ground. quite annoying, if you ask me. Not quite as annoying as my knocking lifter... but a trip to the loading ramp at Rosa's fixed the heatshield, i drove over the low part of the ramp, put it in reverse and pulled that thing right off. As for monday, i was stuck in the driveway at my girlfriends house about a mile away from home until her dad got home and plowed it. as i was backing out of the driveway, I, being the great experienced driver that i am, backed up to far into the snowbank. well, a little rocking later and i was out. i learned the best way to not get stuck was too keep moving. this brings me to after i got home. i came home to not 1, not 2, but 3 cars in my driveway. i plowed, and moved them and put them back. Bt wait! my sister wants gas! so being the kind person i am, i take her 91 Lumina to the gas station. i get to the main road, and i intended to keep moving, but there were two cars coming. im stuck in the pile from the plow. so after some help from a snowmobiler and i kind neighbor, i was out. and my sister endied up spending the night at our house.

To all you people living outside Buffalo, NY, be glad.
  • when i say "my dad's I30", remember that i am 19 years old(but more interested in cars than anyone in my family) and he is 50. hes not quite an old man yet. As for those who said Caddies are old man cars, i think an exception can be made for the STS and the Eldorado ESC. As for switching to the I30 from the Aurora, at the time he was in the market for a car, the V8 Aurora wasnt available yet, which was what he wanted. So next was the TL. Beautiful car, and just as fast, if not faster, but more expensive than the I30. I am trying to convince him to sell the lease on his I30 and get the Aurora again. Not because the I30 is a bad car, but because the Aurora was much more fun to drive. the I30 doesnt have the quality that the folks on the Aurora board ike to call aROARa, i.e. the beautiful sound of a V8. im trying to think of a catchy phrase like that for my summer car... can anyone think of one for Monte Carlo? anyways...
  • he is also having trouble finding tires for the car. $160 Michelins are the only ones so far... we were told the Toyo's were only available at the dealer. i gave my dad my two ideas: 1) Buy the 17 inch rims... they are probably easier to find tires for, therefore cheaper in the long run. 2) Sell the lease, get a black on black Aurora... no more tire problem.
  • I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001 I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And I've got some issues with it. I would like to get some feedback on problems I am having to see if the loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from the list to begin with.
    2. Under fairy hard breaking, the steering wheel
    vibrates. Wheel balancing problems?
    3. Transmission does not seem to have an immediate
    feel to it. I sort of have to force it be pressing
    the accelerator harder then I should. The Acura TL
    I test drove had a very immediate feel to it.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on one side of the hood then on the other.

I have a real problem now. The dealer is bringing
    my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they did not have one with traction control on it. I have not signed any papers on it yet, but the dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him. By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over invoice. Is that decent?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered
    on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001
    I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And
    I've got some issues with it. I would like to get
    some feedback on problems I am having to see if the
    loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear
    Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed
    nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from
    the list to begin with.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on
    one side of the hood then on the other.

my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they
    did not have one with traction control on it. I
    have not signed any papers on it yet, but the
    dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him.
    By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over
    invoice. Is that decent?

• I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered
    on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001
    I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And
    I've got some issues with it. I would like to get
    some feedback on problems I am having to see if the
    loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear
    Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed
    nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from
    the list to begin with.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on
    one side of the hood then on the other.

my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they
    did not have one with traction control on it. I
    have not signed any papers on it yet, but the
    dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him.
    By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over
    invoice. Is that decent?

• STOP REPEATING YOURSELF!! :-)

1. My 2000 I30t has Bridgestone tires and I consider them to be pretty quiet over most surfaces. Some noise on concrete roads though.
    2. Steering wheel vibration under braking is usually caused by warped rotors. Often caused by driver riding the brakes. (Those "old men"?)
    3. Acceleration off the line is not as responsive as TL, but other features compensate IMHO.
    4. No uneven gaps on mine.
    I think that $600 over invoice is a decent price. My local dealer wouldn't do much more than $1000 off list so I bought mine under invoice thru CarOrder.com -- but they're now out of business.
  • :-) Funny comeback :-)
    I'd guess the mailman was late 30s to 40s. That may be considered an old man by some of you.
    The I30 is a four-door sedan not a coupe or convertible! ANY four door could be considered an "old man's car". I30t is a lot sportier than most sedans.
    Definately, the 2000-01 I30 is much more sportier looking when compared to the ES300. I had a 2000 I30 loaner, and parked it up against my TL in the driveway one day, and saw many similarities. My dad thought the I30 didnt look that great compared to the TL. I think the I30 looks better from the front compared to the TL. However, the loaner was only a regular I30. The "t" model with the spoiler packaging looks much better, and with that new blue color (nice nice color!), the car looks great! Cant find 17 inchers on a Lexus. There are many goods and bads about each car...but I have about had it with my I30...
  • my dad's has Toyo tires... smooth, quiet ride.
    no uneven gaps either... the problems you are experiencing with the loaner are probably why it is a loaner!
    I have Toyo's on my 97, and I have always thought the car was noisy within the cabin. It is not as quiet as the TL or my previous Diamante. I am guessing Infiniti had not used as much sound deadening material as in the other vehicles. I have heard theories about the windows being .02mm thinner compared to other vehicles, which was later proven wrong. The ride is smooth however, despite issues I have had with the car constantly pulling left.
  • Infiniti I30.... This is not really a question, but more of a comment. Has anyone noticed that when you change out your headlight bulbs with the German manufactured blue ones that it causes problems with wire socket (the place where the bulb goes in) it tends to melt it, causing your light to go out, sometimes it blows the bulb, but the actual problem is the socket itself. (food for thought) i ended up changing out the socket itself with one that had thicker wires going to the socket. you can get them at any auto parts store for about $3.00 a piece. I haven't had any problems since. Seems like the manufacture would've noticed this problem?
  • Infiniti I30....I was recently reading one of the comments posted here and heard that the infiniti i30 has cell phone capabilities installed already..is this true?...how is this possible if it only has one antenna.....and if it is possible, then what exactly would i have to do to have one installed.
  • I recently purchased an Infiniti I30, and i was thinking about adding a couple of accessories, but i wanted to get a glimpse of a couple, to see what looks good and what's WACK'...does anyone know of a website where i could view some hooked-up Infiniti's???
  • Anyone out there do comparison shopping with the 2001 Audi A6, BMW 530, or Mercedes E320 before deciding on the I30? The I30 sounds real nice considering the price, but those rattles and transmission issues make me wonder if its not worth spending the extra money to get one of the German sedans.
  • there is no "transmission issues" with the car, the only problem is a control module that is replaced free of charge, it is not even a necessary repair. some people have noticed that the tranny seems to slip between 1st and 2nd gear, and replacing that module has corrected the problem. some people dont notice it.
    I have purchased a pair of blue headlights in order to deliver the "look" that authentic HID headlamps provide. The "look" isnt that great when compared to the real thing, however, they distinguish the vehicle from other I30s driving around. I believe my bulbs are rated for 80watts low beam, and 100 watts for the high beam. I have not had any problems so far, and I have had them installed for about 4-6 months now. Please detail what you have experienced (esco2000) with regards to these bulbs in your Infiniti. Thank you...