Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I30/I35

Comments

• sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    According to JDPowers, the Infiniti beats the Mercedes in long term performance. I can bet that the I30 will cost much less to keep up than the Mercedes. Check it out: http://www.jdpower.com/global/jdpaawards/releases/110200.html
  • msmojo5msmojo5 Member Posts: 2
    I've been screening vehicles for a while now and I'm real close to deciding on the I30 - but there is one thing that keeps stopping me.

I live in Northern VA and the only nearby dealer doesn't appear to have a very good reputation for sales or service.

If I do buy one- its fairly certain it will be from a dealer farther away -probably in Maryland.

That begs the question of what to do about service and maintenance. It would be really inconvenient to take a 2 hour trip for a service call.

This may sound like a naive-little-girl kind of question - but do I have to have my Infiniti serviced by an Infiniti dealer in order to not void the warranty? - there are several Nissan dealers that are closer to home.

Its kind of a shame that this appears to be a good car- but the dealer network seems spread thin and wide. I would appreciate any and all suggestions about getting this vehicle serviced both during and after the warranty period.
    Thanks to all
  • elinpaelinpa Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in purchasing a 2002 I30t and had the same questions as Post #318. I can't remember which Infiniti dealer I emailed with the above questions, but the answer was routine maintenance can be performed by a Nissan dealer, but warranty work must be performed by an Infiniti dealer. Hope this helps.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I am about to purchase a new car, mainly for my wife. Has anyone compared the I30 with the XG300? I hadn't even considered Hyundai until I read the tremendous support the Sonata owners expressed. I always thought "you get what you pay for" and am suspicious of a $4k lesser price. If anyone has considered the XG300 I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.
    I don't think the longterm quality of Hyundai can even come close to the I30. Check out the link above #317, Hyundai is well below average while Infiniti is #3.

I30 requires little maintaince. You can bring it anywhere and you will not void the warranty.
  • redskin24redskin24 Member Posts: 46
    I dont see why a Nissan dealer wouldnt be able to service your car, during and after the warranty period. It is essentially the same car as the Maxima.

elinpa>>>>> 2002 I30? are you planning on buying later next year? or is this just a typo? as far as i know i thought manufacturers didnt release the new model year until around September, unless it was a new model or a redesign that they released early, such as the 2001 Aurora and the 2001 Explorer Sport and SprtTrac, released in March of 2000.
  • elinpaelinpa Member Posts: 4
    I am not planning on buying until next fall (2001). Also, I want to see what the 2002 XVL looks like and see what the interior dimensions are. I read that it will be midsize like the I30. I prefer front wheel drive, but if the XVL is a knockout, then I may choose it over the I30t. Also, I read the 2002 I30t may get a 3.5L engine with 250 - 260 HP. I'll have to wait and see.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    with regards to your response to elinpa's question...I will hope to find out the answer. I am planning to take my '97 I30 which requires warranty work to Mike Barney's nissan. I remember back in the summer time, they had about 5 used I30s on their lot, and I am sure they perform services on those used cars (they wouldnt want to let those service dollars go to Autoplace). Autoplace is a JOKE anyway. Just wondering if there is any way to find out the ratings of local dealers Infiniti/Nissan dealers with regards to sales/service.

BTW redskin: enjoy the snow today??
    oh i loved it. i had to work in it! i work at Budget, doing valet airport parking. my feet were soaked at the end of the night. not to mention brushing snow off every car that came in, shoveling, salting and snowblowing. Anyways, there is a rating system. i saw it in the AutoFinder magazine, its that guy, Tom Tjornbernsen thats on the radio, he had it in his article, but that was a couple weeks ago. you may want to call his show or something like that, thats all i know.
    i also had to put my winter car on the road, which was depressing, thinking about having to drive that all winter. Its a 1984 Pontiac 1000, or chevette. Its pretty noticeable, you may see my driving around town. Its red with tinted windows. My friends brother commented one day when i pulled up, "is your friend puerto rican?" id rather be driving my Monte Carlo.
    I came back from the dmv ten minutes before i had to leave for work so i switched the plates in those 10 minutes, and while on my way to work, the first flurries started flying. Talk about good timing!
    thanks for the snow stories. I'm sure the local news had many more to tell also (too bad the channel 7 "crew" retired). I've heard of the Tjornbernsen guy on WBEN i think...or was it GR? Who knows. I think I have seen your car around (in this town, I always see a person i recognize driving around, even those 5 min drives to the local Tops)...i wouldnt mind having a winter car, you know you can drive it around in the salt and not have to worry about ANYTHING. I would gladly take your 1000 off your hands to drive this winter! I hate when the salt "rocks" rattle in my wheel wells all winter long...all i think of is RUST (my enemy). I will surely look up the ratings...thanks.
  • sirodsirod Member Posts: 2
    I found what I think to be a steal of a deal but would like other opinions because I am not very educated in the car buying field. I found a 97
    I30 with 43,300 miles, sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, etc. Is this a steal or what???
  • sirodsirod Member Posts: 2
    I found what I think to be a steal of a deal but would like other opinions because I am not very educated in the car buying field. I found a 97
    I30 with 43,300 miles, sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, etc. Is this a steal or what???
    Please respond to DMCINTOSH@GCSSERVICE.COM (I'll get the message faster). Thanks.
  • danili18danili18 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have been having these or similar problems, and/or knew how to get them fixed. My dad owns a 2000 I30t with about 15,000 miles on it that we purchased last November ('99). Since then, we've noticed a few things.
    First, there are some uncharacteristic rattles coming from the sunroof and the passenger-side B-pillar, even when you're not going over bumps.

Second, the Bose stereo is awesome. However, the door speakers in the front and back seem to rattle pretty loudly under heavier bass.

Third, the face that covers up the electroluminescent dials seems to scratch like hell whenever you try to clean it!

and Fourth, the trans seems to take a very long time to shift from first to second gear, and also is sluggish off the line under harder acceleration.

If anyone knows anything about these problems, please let me know asap. Thanks all-
    -Dan
  • redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    ill trade you the 1000 straight up for your TL.

danili>>>>>"the trans seems to take a very long
    time to shift from first to second gear, and also
    is sluggish off the line under harder acceleration."

Take it to the dealer and have them replace the Transmission Control Module, or TCM. there is a service bulletin out for this so they should know what your talking about.
    Gauge scratches>>>> i have noticed this. it happens on most cars but i only noticed it on this one because i cleaned it for the first time instead of my dad.
  • polydadpolydad Member Posts: 3
    Best material for cleaning the plastic over the dash gauges is Plexus. I found it in the aquarium section of Petsmart. Cleans, polishes and takes out small scratches.

My 2000 I30 instrument panel just shines when I use it.

Hope this helps.
    stopped by at the dealership today to see if they had any used 97's i could test out and compare with mine in regard to the excessive vibration I am experiencing. A quick look at the used car section, and they had one '97 I30, and a '98 I30. So i went in (I wasnt driving my I30 today), and talked to the Service Manager. I asked if he could print up the TSB for the problem, but he was kinda busy (I didnt call ahead). He handed me the keys to the '97 and '98, and i took out the '97 first. Upon start up, the RPMs jolted upon start, which is normal for all cars. However, it suddenly dipped to 100 RPMs!!! The car shook like crazy, and it kicked back up to over 1000 (the engine was very cold). Then i drove it around until it warmed up, and I noticed it had the same problems as mine...except much worse! The entire car was vibrating like CRAZY (with headlights/foglights on). The 97 had 36K miles on it. Then i hopped into the '98 which ALSO had 36K miles on it. I let it warm up, and it drove beautifully (just like the 2000 I30's, Maximas, etc...basically drove the way IT SHOULD drive). The 98 also did not have that hesitation from first to second the way my 97 and the dealer's used 97 had. Their 97 also exhibited that loud "helicopter" type chopping sound like mine, all absent from the 98, which was quiet, smooth, and did not hesitate. Luckily the Service Manager was just parking the 97 when i pulled in with the 98, and i told him, "This is the way it should drive." I told him what others were telling me on the Maxima board (service manager from a nissan dealer and others) which was that the problem lies in either the motor mounts, or that the TPS is bad. So he said he would call and talk to the Nissan rep and see what was going on...I will call back tomorrow to see what he says.
  • hulkster2hulkster2 Member Posts: 15
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a few minor problems I had with my 2001 I30. They were as follows:
    1. Jumpy transmission--or at least inconsistent. Reved up, dropped down abrubtly, etc.
    2. Base vibration in cab from what I thought was the subwoofer
    3. Some loud pops in the cabin, mainly from what I thought was coming from the front dash plastic over the clock (w/o nav system).
    Well, it seems like this car was just breaking in. I don't even have a 1000 miles on it yet butit seems to be getting better everyday. Or maybe I am just calming down a bit and not being so picky. The tranny seems to be getting smoother, there is less noise in the cabin, the stereo base is not rattling the interior, etc.
    Is it possible that this is all part of the break in process? That sound naive I am sure.
    I don't know, I like this car better everyday I drive it! Way more car for the money than Lexus.
    By the way, does anyone know if Infinity has any free-bees for buying the car? I remember when they used to give away Bose home speaker systems. Car must have not been as good back then. Anyone seen the commercials on the new I30? Pretty cool.
  • danili18danili18 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Hulkster,

I posted a message not too long ago about my Dad's 2000 I30t with similar problems (trans and bass vibrations). Those have been with the car for the 15,000 miles and one full year we've had it. They've been better and worse on certain days, but overall it's fairly consistent. There's a service bulletin out about the trans thing, all you have to do is bring it in and have them replace the TCM. They'll know what you're talking about. As for the bass and the popping, I couldn't tell you how to fix that. Seems like all new I30's have those problems. But overall, we love the car. It nearly saved my life in a head-on with a Cadillac. Very comfortable, safe, luxurious car. It was definitely worth the money.
  • sandyrossandyros Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time to post - I'm really winging this, so please bear with me. I am in the market for a new car, and have read much about the Infiniti I30. I haven't taken a test drive, but would prefer to rent one to avoid the hard sell. Does anyone know how I can find a rental agency that rents I30s? I live in Palo Alto, CA.
    A buddy of mine has a corvette convertable. You hear everything in that car. The stearing will shakes at higher speeds. But hey, it's a Corvette! That thing turns on a dime with no body role at all.
    When I went shopping for a car, I might have gone with a sports car like my friend. Hey, I am single, why not? I am also in sales so a two seater is not an option. I like taking my family (sisters, parents etc.)out for a spin all at once and a two seater is not very accomidating. Now, my next best bet was a sports sedan with a touch of luxury. I did not want to spend 40 or 50k either, so now I find myself in the near luxury class. Getting into a luxury sedan, I want to hear nothing. I want performance, luxury and quiet, except when I choose to crank up the stereo. So what do we have? The Accura TL, Lexus ES300, Audi A-4, possibly A-6 (more denero),and the I30. Those are the real contendors in this class. Some would add the Passat, but it's a Volkswagon for Pete's sake. Small, not a lot of luxury and the worst warrenty around. Accura? Never even test drove one. I just was not impressed with the car from the start. Maybe I should have. Audi? Well, who knows? Might have taken a look at the A-6, but not the A-4 (way to small!) So now there is the Lexus ES300. Kind of a wanna be Lexus. Has some of the components but I find the fact that they had to write Lexus on the Stereo in Gold letters was to remind the driver they were not driving a Camery. Some would argue that the I30 is a dressed up MAX. Not this year, certainly not the 2001 model. I drove the Lexus and it was very quiet, smooth and had decent acceleration. The Nachamichi stereo was pretty cool too! This would have appeared to meet my criteria. One problem, the Lexus was too smooth, if there is such a thing. I could not feel the road. It was very strange. I felt like I could spin out of control at any moment and the only way I would know it was when I hit something.
    The I30's I test drove on the other hand were smooth, a bit more edgy and powerful and I could feel the road! The amenities were in more abundance and it seemed to fit like a glove everytime I got in it. So, what is my beef? Am I just experiencing buyers remorse? Do I need car buyer's therapy? No. Just therapy in general.--kidding.
    What I need is somone else to drive the car and see if they think the transmission is jumpy. I might be over critical. It is ironic though that the Altima I owned previously had the same deal, especially in overdrive at lower in town speeds. It got to the point where I never drove the Altima in overdrive unless I was going over60 mph. It actually made a whining noise if I did. The I30 does not whine but there are some similarities. The tranny on the I30 drops and bolts just slightly when letting my foot off of the gas and then accelerating slightly. It tends to get better when the car is really warmed up. Just like the Altima. When coming to a stop in the I30 I can feel one more drop in the tranny just prior to final stop. TCM? Well, I don't know, but worth checking out. Well at least I don't hear any more rattle from the base. Maybe the plastic is settling in? Still a few crackles when going over bumps but overall pretty quiet.
    I don't believe there is a perfect car at any price. The I30 is a good one though.

Incidentally, I know what you mean about Nissan making safe cars. The 98 Altima I had and keep mentioning took on a cement pillar for me at about 55mph. A reckless driver ran me off the road. The car fish tailed and when I was clipped by the driver it was all over. I hit the post on the passanger side front end(no one was in that seat thank goodness) and both air bags went off. I had my seat belt on and I walked away unhurt! I figure the Infiniti will do even better...hope I never find out!
    Well, I really should get a life...maybe just be happy with my purchase once and for all! Will let you know about the TCM thing?
    Take care.
  • cybersanghacybersangha Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 I30 Luxury, with just over 10,000 miles. I have for the most part loved the car, although the minor annoyances of the unreadable dash in sunlight, the easily scratched and hard to clean dash cover, bass rattle etc. have also happened to me.

I have been increasingly experiencing a fairly loud transmission rattle, but almost exclusively when accelerating uphill, usually from a standstill, after a stoplight, etc. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it related to the other tranny rattle problems that people have mentioned in this forum? Would replacing the TCM address this problem, or is this something different?

Thanks.
  • motorhead6motorhead6 Member Posts: 10
    Maybe I'm just lucky and I'm as critical as they get, but my I30t with close to 10K miles has absolutely no bass rattle (I set it just above the middle setting), the transmission shifts perfectly (but could use a 5th gear), and no dashboard "pops". The only minor rattle I had turned out to be my sunglasses in the compartment over the windshield.
    If I had ANY of the problems that have been mentioned here, the car would be back at the dealer until they were fixed.
    I have also noticed that the car seems to be significantly faster lately (cooler weather or a Looong break-in period.
    I may be even more critical than you. When I say loud pop or crackle in the dash, it is just a noise when hitting a significant bump. I just want to hear nothing in the car...not possible in any car I am sure. Again, I need someone else to drive the car and see what they think of the tranny. Does not feel as smooth as it could be but maybe as smooth as it gets!
    As for the base rattle or vibration, well, that has stopped. Could be the interior just needed to settle--have no clue?
    You mentioned a long break in period. How long is long? I am waiting to hit 1,000 miles then I will give it a little juice. You say your car is getting significantly faster. Is that in take off acceleration or after you get going and punch it, say to pass or something? I don't think the I30 is blazing fast to begin with. It is a pretty heavy car. It needs a lot of ponies to get it going. It has good speed, just not great speed.
    Thanks for your time.

Cybersangha---I am no mechanic but a rattle in your transmission sounds mechanical. The whole TCM thing, the way I understand it, has to do with the computer telling the car when to shift. The problem that has existed mainly is the transmission hesitating to shift from first to second and sometimes 2nd to third. TCM stands for Transmission Control Module or something like that. The noise from your tranny has nothing to do with TCM, I am fairly certain.
    hulkster>>>did you consider the Aurora when you were looking for a car? the V8 in that car screams and when its not screaming it purrs.(my dad had 2 different ones for a total of 5 years, im kind of partial to it over his I30)

sandyros>>>> call around to the major companies such as Avis, Hertz and Alamo. I know almost for sure that Budget does not have them. If you cannot find the I30, almost all rental companies have the Maxima, which is pretty much the same thing. The only reason i know this is because i worked for Budget.

mhammy>>>> did you have fun digging out all those cars of yours?
    For those who dont know what im talking about, we live in Buffalo, NY. Yesterday(monday) we got whalloped by a snowstorm that dropped 24 inches of snow in my neck of the woods, and hit the hardest during rush hour. abandoned cars were up and down the streets and the NYS Thruway was closed for well over 100 miles. the abandoned cars included school buses. Just for an example on how bad it was, my girlfriends grandfather left his job at the GM engine plant around 4 pm. He got off the highway and didnt know where he was. He finally got home at 2:30 in the morning, 11 1/2 hours after he left, all because the roads were just jammed with abandoned cars. i was hearing stories on the radio of motorists and truckers stuck on the highway for well over 25 hours. well anyways, you get the idea....
  • maneesh1maneesh1 Member Posts: 39
    Was on the road the other day accompanied by a weedhead in an RX7. At every light, he used to accelerate like there's no tomorrow, but he never made it passed the next red light. I was driving slow because my 2001I30T was still warming up. When I felt comfortable, and when the light turned green, I gunned it. The tach went past 5.5k before shifting to 2nd. I out ran him. But more importantly, my 92 Camry switches to 2nd around 4.5k.

When I gunned it, the switch from 1st to 2nd was smooth, unlike other times. I still have this problem about dropping RPMs going from 1st to 2nd, coupled with poor gas mileage.

I'm taking it back to the dealer next week. Hope it's just the TCM and nothing more.

Other than that, this car is great. Smooth and quiet.

Something else: I was reluctant to get EZPass put in the car because I think the white unit stuck to the windshield looks ugly. however, I put it in the lower part of the tinted section of the glass and you can't even see it from the outside. yet, it still works.
    Yeah, it wasnt too fun digging out of the storm. Unfortunately my I30 was the ONLY car outside at the time, and was BURRIED by over 2 feet of snow. When my plow guy showed up (took him 8 hours to get to my house, what would otherwise be a 20 min drive), his partner took my metal shovel and was jamming it against my body panels to remove the snow. Plus, since I couldnt even open teh doors to the car (snow up to my waist), i used the "convenient" FOB unlock button to open the windows automatically. Suddenly, there was a gust, and about one inch of snow was sitting atop my leather seats! I was SO mad at what was happening to my car. On top of THAT, I got in, and the plowers began to push my car backwards, so i floored it thinking the car would move. Little did I know that my handbrake was still on from when I last parked the car a few days ago. I hope that didnt kill my brake. I had the car parked on the street (which was down to half a lane because of all the snow), and cars were shaving SO close, I was EXTREMELY nervous. When it all cleared last night, I inspected the paint where there was no ice, and saw two large scratches from the shovel, havent found the others yet. Really disappointing. So redskin, how was your experience in the storm!? My neighbor's wife never even showed up, and the guy across the street never came home that night! What a nightmare for most, but for me, I couldnt even GO anywhere since I was stranded at my own house. Well, that isnt so bad after all. Oh, by the way, when pulling out of my driveway, the snow at the end of the driveway left from the stret plows (actually large mini-boulder sized ROCKS of ice) scraped the bottom of the car when I tried to pull out, and now I think there is some part underneath which looks to be somewhat torn down. This is all really pissing me off...wish I had my '89 Camry to drive around in this!
    Never really considered the Aurora. Not really on my list. Seems like a good car though.
    I suppose one of the problems I am having is that a lot of people keep saying my dad's I30. That sounds old to me. When I told my partner at work I was going to buy an I30, she said that is an old man car! She drives a Audi A6 V8 by the way. Big price tag to match! Not what I wanted to spend on a car at this point. I wanted to stay in the 30 something crowd. Out the door the car was 30. A guy at my church said the same thing about the old man car. Now, I am not prone to opinions shaping what I like. I bought the I30 regardless. I like the car--yet it does feel a bit heavy to me and less agile than some others. I had just survived a very bad accident in a 98 Altima, which was much lighter. It was fairly agile too though I thought it could have maneuvered better when I had to swerve out of the way of a reckless driver. The car fishtailed and got out of control. So, heavier and more stable was what I was after. When I test-drove the I30 a couple of times, I really thought it was the right car--stable, sturdy, quick and agile. After driving it for a month now it has two out of the four. I don't know, could be a mid life crisis a year early--will be thirty next year. Thinking I might have gotten something a little sportier. I was thinking of my job and carting around family and friends. So a sedan was in order. I might have given a look at more cars...I am overall happy with the I30, but not a great joy to drive at this point as I thought. Could be a bit of buyer’s remorse…Maybe that is why I keep returning to the “group.” I am looking for confirmation. It seems like before my purchase when I read the comments there was nothing but rave reviews on the car. I remember reading posts in the Lexus camp (car high on my list) and there were problems. Now it is the exact opposite. The biggest problems I hear in the Lexus crowd is what kind of wax to use or what kind of Late' to drink while cruising down the road. For the Infiniti group, all I hear is Transmission problems, TCM, rattles, etc. Some of those posts have been mine, but a lot of them have not been. I know I am not married to the car, so maybe I should just relax a bit. I have not managed to keep a car for five years yet. Had a Taurus that because of my job I put 3,000 miles a month on. Drove that into the ground. Had an Altima that I literally drove into the ground thanks to a reckless driver. At this rate, I may not even have the Infiniti for five years . Why worry. I just wish I saw more posts on people who really like the car! Kind of group therapy for me—ha, ha!
    So, Redskin24, your dad had two Auroras and now an Infiniti. Why make the switch? Just wanted something different?
  • cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    My local Enterprise in West L.A. had a couple of I30Ls available in the Luxury category a couple of days ago. They're sending them out at $99/day - seems like a good way to get a 'proper' test drive.

My I30L still struggles to reach 20mpg in mostly urban driving, even after fitting the K&N air filter. After hearing good and bad about the filter, I have to say that initially there was a big improvement in accelerator responsiveness (like having another 30 ft lbs of torque), but now that improvement only appears occasionally, and to a lesser extent. The filter still appears clean.
    The cold has really hit us where I live, its about 19 degrees today, and I was driving around my Infiniti, and noticed a lot of strange noises. In addition to the horrid vibration which wont go away, there is a chopping noise. There is also a loud humming noise which i can feel vibrating my brake pedal, sounds really loud and it worries me. I also hate driving over those large ice chunks sitting around from the snow storm a few days ago (scrapes the bottom of my car). The car also has more road noise than other luxury cars in its class, which is a disappointment. I would never buy an Infiniti again, and do not see too much of a difference in the 2000/1 vehicles (besides a better design and a few better updated options). I also noticed a price increase in the fully loaded "t" model. If I am not mistaken, I remember seeing a FULLY loaded "t" at my delear for over 36K! What a RIP off. Not worth it in my eyes. I would rather jump over to a Lexus, which would come nicely equipped for similar money. In my opinion, if I was spening 36K dollars, a few thousand (2-3K at MOST) is WORTH it for a similarly equipped Lexus. Hey, the styling isnt that bad, but after all, you'll be sitting in the INDSIDE of the car, and anyway, the Lexus doesnt look that much worse than the I30.
    The I30 is not an old man car! That honor would go to a Buick LaSaber or the new Avalon.

The I30 is for someone who doesn't feel the need to follow the pack. Someone who wants a reliable car, with little maintenance cost, nice performance, room, creature comforts, knows the car/engine will last for 15 years, and for a great price! You can not find a similar car for less than 30K!!!!!!!!!

All cars have some sounds when driving but this car is excellent in what you get for the price. Why pay 10K more just for a name?

My brother and I each have the I30. Yes, it may not have the mass appeal of the Lexus, but who cares. We have not had any problems, saved a bundle, and love the engine/performance! And we are not old! (30's)

The up keep of this car is so simple. I just change my own oil and thats it! No service costs to speak of.

So don't concentrate on the little sounds or occasional rattle (we both don't have any significant ones), just DRIVE THE CAR and enjoy it knowing you got a bargain!!

STEVE
    Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. Did you read what mhammy84 had to say about his I30...Sounds like he is having all sorts of problems. Can't tell what year but apparently not a 2k or 2k1. I know the 97's had the vibration problems he is referring to. The 2k's sometimes have the TCM problem...I am still determining whether mine has it or not. Posts like mhammy84 and others worry me a bit. Saying things like, "I will never buy another Nissan product again!" Just don't see that in the Lexus camp.
    I do agree with you about the value of the car. It has much more to offer in its price range than other cars. It is roomier, has more creature comforts and the overall design is classier and more recognizable than some of the other cookie cutter cars. I do believe it to be a bargain as long as I don't have the problems I read about.
    The engine is nice but I am just not sure about the transmission. One cannot be good without the other. It probably is not quite as quiet as some on the road, however, that was a trade off in my mind for actually feeling the road. I like to feel in control.
    I am over the whole "old man car thing." Looks wise it is sportier than most. Performance wise--well, it leans much more in turns than I like and feels heavy getting off the blocks. I don't feel it to be as nimble as I thought in the test drives and as other cars. But again, barring any problems, there is not a car out there with as much value and goodies for the money. Paid 30,283 out the door! That is with 7.75 California rip-off sales tax. $27,681 was the price before tax, license, etc. Darn good deal!

By the way, mhammy84, 36k for an I30t is a rip off. That is the dealer though. A little negotiation would get a nice price on the car.
    My understanding is that the TCM issue is that if you hit the gas hard from a stop that the car will say in first longer and slowly get into 2nd.The TCM just sets the shift points. Some don't like how that feels so they can have the TCM replaced. However, there is no proof this will lead to a faliure of the transmission. Testing it,I have only noticed it if I push hard when the car is cold; it doesn't seem to happen when warm. However, in general it is not good to push any car when it is cold, so it doesn't effect my everyday driving.

If you look at Comsumers Report listing of problems with the I30, it has an excellent record and much above average in all areas as far back as 1996. So I am not at all worried that it won't last!

STEVE
    No doubt, the Infiniti WILL last years and years, but with the problems I am experiencing, I wonder sometimes how long MINE will last. Another '97 I30 I test drove had the same vibration problems mine has at idle...you just wonder why a damn Infiniti does that. This time around, I opted for the Acura TL and I also picked up the new 3.2 CL. They are both very nice cars, and feel MUCH more solid and are quieter than my I30. Because of my I30's problems, I have a feeling it is very delicate. After the snow storm here, teh streets were not plowed too quickly, and remained very bumpy. When driving over them with the I30, I felt like I was in a standard car, more like a Mitsubishi galant or something (more ordinary compared to an Infiniti). However, today I drove over the same streets with my 3.2 TL and the car felt more solid over the bumps, less noise, and just overall, more reliable. I took a 2 hour drive to Toronto, and opted to take the 3.2 TL since it feels more reliable, and is more powerful. My I30 seems to have a significant loss of power, quite possibly because of the "vibration problem." Also, when my father drove both my I30 and the CL/TL, he immediately proclaimed the I30 an "old man's car." (exact words!) Sure, the shocks are stiffer (i have the "t" model), however, the steering wheel is SO incredibly easy to turn, so loose. Not tight like the TL/CL, which obviously delivers a better feel of the road, and better handling. We used to own a Buick LeSabre (believe it or not), and the steering wheel resistance is very close to the I30 (loose), and very far from the TL/CL (stiff).

Hulkster: You stated that you have heard of the vibration problem in many cases with the 97 I30's. Can you possibly give me more details on what you know about it? Would you possibly know what part is causing this problem, or do you know anyone with an I30 that had/has this problem? Thank you very much...
    Just a reminder that my '97 I30t has only 23,000 miles on it...so keeping that in mind, reconsider my feelings regarding the problems I am experiencing, how "delicate" the car feels, and how the car already has a significant loss of power. Seems like the car really only lasted 2 years, yet aged 7 years in that time (it takes a good 7 years and 90,000 miles before your car really starts to lose power significantly). I am really worried that my dealer wont be able to/will refuse to fix my problem (even though its under warranty still).

Sacuderi: The Infiniti is a good value, no doubt about that. However, I dont see the 10K difference with a Lexus you are talking about. If you move up 10K from the I30 over to the Lexus line, you would be looking at a GS series car. The ES series car is comparable in price. sure, the MSRPs are high when calculated, but Lexus will also move on prices just as Infiniti would. Over all, you may be about 1000 (rougly estimating) over the Infinti price if you opted for an ES300, but would own a REAL care-free car. As I said before, if you were already shelling out over 30K's for a new luxury car, the 1000 should not make a large difference when considering this is a CAR you are buying, and most probably something you will be keeping for a few years. Rather than risk the problems (like I did), go ahead and get the Lexus! Our Acura is not very problematic at all either, and was UNDER 30,000! However, I cannot speak for the car 20,000 miles down the road, since I am unaware as to what will happen, but I can say the acura sure does feel a hell of a lot more solid than the I30 (even my 2000 Camry feels superior to the I30). These are just my opinions, I would be glad to hear what others think! Thanks...
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    When I test drove the I30 a couple months ago there was a couple around 30 years old that just bought one. If you want an "old man's car" get a Caddy, Buick LeSabre, or an Avalon.
  • redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    I just picked up an Infiniti I30t 2 weeks ago. I considered almost every brand around the 30k price mark. I looked at the Lexus ES300, Audi A4, Acura TL, Volkswagen Passat, Volvo S60, BMW 3series and even the Mercedes C class. I think they are all really good cars. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Lets be honest - no car is perfect. Ultimately you pick the one that appeals to YOU the most. You end up making a rationally subjective choice based on the experiences and information you were presented with by each of the auto makers marketing (and design) departments.
    If you read these boards (like I did for 3 months religiously prior to purchase) you will drive yourself crazy looking for the BEST car. In fact, it seems to me that the typical person in these boards is here to complain not praise. People who are happy with their purchase don't tend to run around telling everyone about it. It is the people who have a problem that make all the noise.
    So how do I like my new car? It's great. Hell, it's a new car ... who doesn't like a new car. Of course it isn't perfect. Nothing is. I wish people would stop obsessing. There are a lot more important things in life to worry about.
    Just how many cars do you have? So far I have counted a Camery, an Acura or is it two? Plus an I30. Next time I am in the market for a car I had better come over to your place as it would seem you have better selection than some dealers!
    I am kidding of course. Really, it is none of my business how many cars you have. I get the impression you know what you like, having experienced so many different vehicles.
    I am curious though, why did you get an I30 in the first place? You seem impressed with the Camery and its feel...why not the ES300 then?
    You have a 97 I30 and perhaps you did not like the ES300 back then? Have you driven the 2001 I30? I think you will find it to be much quieter, though I can't say for sure because I never drove the 97 model. I did test drive a 2000 ES300. It was quiet and smooth. Gave me a feeling of being a passanger rather than a driver. Best way I can explain it. I felt like if the car got out of control, I would be the last to know about it! Quite an erie experience.
    Sorry, I can't help you with your mechanical issues concerning your transmission. I had only seen multiple posts about it. Maybe you should trade it in for an ES300?
    Right on Redbaretta! People are sometimes obcessing! I have to admit I have been one of them. You are right though, there are way many more important things to worry about. However, I have to ask you, why did you post then? To praise or to problem? Maybe to set the rest of us straight perhaps? You know, I believe people experience a bit of buyers remorse. It is a common thing especially at this price range. 30,000 clams is nothing to sneeze at, well not for me anyway. The first hint of a crackle, rattle or shake, however minor it may be, causes us to doubt our decision. Maybe the other car is better. We look out our window while driving down the road and see all the other models we thought about and think...well, should I have? That has happened to me and I think others.
    So, to put my compulsive obsessive behavior to rest, I would like to ask you, why did you finally settle on the I30 from the rest of the cars you listed? Seeing that the car has sometimes been dubbed the "old man car," can you also tell me what age group you are in? Sorry if that question is a bit over the top.
    Been off-line for a few days; just catching up. Huckster, to answer your question about my 2K I30t improved acceleration, it seems to be at all speeds and the car is just short of 10,000 miles. Also, when you floor it off the line it will rev close to redline before it shifts to second. I consider that to be normal. That engine should handle it with no problem. If it bothers you - don't floor it! I had a 96 Maxima that I sold with 40K miles and no problems whatsoever. I have faith in these cars.
    I too went thru the new car anxiety "did I spend $30+K on the right car?" I have no worries now. My I30t is Titanium with the touring package (spoiler and ground effects rocker panels). It definitely doesn't look or handle like an "old man's car". Just yesterday a mailman at the 7-11 made a comment about how sharp the car is. I had a minor accident and had to put the car in the body shop for 5 days. Rented a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. What a piece of s**t! I couldn't wait to get back into my car.
    The I30 is an "entry-level" luxury car. I don't expect perfection, but mine is damn close!
    Another plus is the trunk size and fold-down rear seats a lot of cars don't have. I've carried a stepladder with no problem.
    If I hear any noises I'll let y'all know.
    How old was the mailman?
    Funny question by Sascuderi. Everyone has a different perception of the I30. I think it is sportier than some and not as sporty as others. I bought the car for its amenaities. Rear Sunshade--pretty cool...Don't usually see that until you go up the ladder in price. Dimming mirrior with integrated compass--pretty hot. Really don't need the nav system but sure that is cool too! 200 watt Bose system--darn nice. Memory driver's seat with two memory settings--really nice. The ease of entry and exit seat, nice, though I usually turn mine off. How about the room in this car! Still fairly compact on the outside but inside everyone gets to stretch out. Car is still pretty nimble for its size, though as I have said before, I wish it was a bit more responsiveness with less body sway. Large trunk with the fold down seats--really nice! Then you have the one touch everything (both driver and passanger windows and sun roof! With the exception of some, say Volkswagon, you don't get that on a car in this range. I also bought the car for its V-6 (One of the best if not the best built in America).
    The car in my opinion falls down a bit because of the transmission. Even that may be my experience along with a few others. Seems a bit jumpy. Coming to a stop the car drops one more time slightly. Is it as quiet as say a coffin like Lexus?--no. There a few crackles here and there on some bumps I thought there shouldn't be and then on some other harsher road conditions there is no noise at all. Go figure? I bought the car because I actually felt uneasy in the Lexus. It drove me and not the other way around!
    So, after about six or seven quotes from yours truly about whether I made the right purchase decision, I have decided to give it a rest and say yes! This is an overall yes. Now, if the transmission falls out tomorrow, which I believe it won't, well I will be back. For now, I am with you Motorhead6--the car isn't perfect and at 30k+ no car is going to be. I will enjoy what I have. By the way, that clock continues to impress the heck out of people when they get inside. The interiors of the competing cars look cheap in comparison. Even the ES300 with real wood still looks like a Camery! Not a bad thing, but if I wanted a Camery I would buy a Camery. It is a cool car for any age. Stylish, good performance and some of the best amenaties you will find in its class!
    "So endeth the lesson."--Seam Coneery, The Untouchables.
    Whoops! Forgot about the integrated steering wheel stereo controls! Awesome! Not only a nice thing to have but a real safety feature in my opinion. How many people do you see blasting down the road at 80mph and fiddling with their stereo's? Same people you see on the side of the road having caused an accident. The cruise control is right their on the wheel and very easy to use!
    ive been gone a few days so im just catching up.

As columnist Alan Pergament would say, "its one of those opinionated days"....

mhammy>>>>> speaking of under car damage, i was driving my 'Vette (chevette that is) on tuesday down transit road and it brought me back to the days when i used to off road in my moms Grand Cherokee. some roads still dont have that bumpy ice crap off of them and its Saturday!! it will melt before they get to it. well anyways, all that bouncing pulled the wire that was holding the heatshield to my catalytic convertor off, so it was dragging on the ground. quite annoying, if you ask me. Not quite as annoying as my knocking lifter... but a trip to the loading ramp at Rosa's fixed the heatshield, i drove over the low part of the ramp, put it in reverse and pulled that thing right off. As for monday, i was stuck in the driveway at my girlfriends house about a mile away from home until her dad got home and plowed it. as i was backing out of the driveway, I, being the great experienced driver that i am, backed up to far into the snowbank. well, a little rocking later and i was out. i learned the best way to not get stuck was too keep moving. this brings me to after i got home. i came home to not 1, not 2, but 3 cars in my driveway. i plowed, and moved them and put them back. Bt wait! my sister wants gas! so being the kind person i am, i take her 91 Lumina to the gas station. i get to the main road, and i intended to keep moving, but there were two cars coming. im stuck in the pile from the plow. so after some help from a snowmobiler and i kind neighbor, i was out. and my sister endied up spending the night at our house.

To all you people living outside Buffalo, NY, be glad.
    when i say "my dad's I30", remember that i am 19 years old(but more interested in cars than anyone in my family) and he is 50. hes not quite an old man yet. As for those who said Caddies are old man cars, i think an exception can be made for the STS and the Eldorado ESC. As for switching to the I30 from the Aurora, at the time he was in the market for a car, the V8 Aurora wasnt available yet, which was what he wanted. So next was the TL. Beautiful car, and just as fast, if not faster, but more expensive than the I30. I am trying to convince him to sell the lease on his I30 and get the Aurora again. Not because the I30 is a bad car, but because the Aurora was much more fun to drive. the I30 doesnt have the quality that the folks on the Aurora board ike to call aROARa, i.e. the beautiful sound of a V8. im trying to think of a catchy phrase like that for my summer car... can anyone think of one for Monte Carlo? anyways...
    he is also having trouble finding tires for the car. $160 Michelins are the only ones so far... we were told the Toyo's were only available at the dealer. i gave my dad my two ideas: 1) Buy the 17 inch rims... they are probably easier to find tires for, therefore cheaper in the long run. 2) Sell the lease, get a black on black Aurora... no more tire problem.
  • vacorbyvacorby Member Posts: 3
    I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001 I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And I've got some issues with it. I would like to get some feedback on problems I am having to see if the loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from the list to begin with.
    2. Under fairy hard breaking, the steering wheel
    vibrates. Wheel balancing problems?
    3. Transmission does not seem to have an immediate
    feel to it. I sort of have to force it be pressing
    the accelerator harder then I should. The Acura TL
    I test drove had a very immediate feel to it.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on one side of the hood then on the other.

I have a real problem now. The dealer is bringing
    my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they did not have one with traction control on it. I have not signed any papers on it yet, but the dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him. By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over invoice. Is that decent?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered
    on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001
    I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And
    I've got some issues with it. I would like to get
    some feedback on problems I am having to see if the
    loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear
    Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed
    nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from
    the list to begin with.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on
    one side of the hood then on the other.

my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they
    did not have one with traction control on it. I
    have not signed any papers on it yet, but the
    dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him.
    By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over
    invoice. Is that decent?

I am waiting for for my I30 2001 to be delivered
    on Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile I am driving 2001
    I30 loaner (brand new with 25 miles on it). And
    I've got some issues with it. I would like to get
    some feedback on problems I am having to see if the
    loaner has some issues or is it every I30.

1. Road noise probably from tires. It has Goodyear
    Eagle RS tires on it. Is it a loud tire?
    I test drove 2000 I30 a while back and it seemed
    nice and quiet. That us why I did not cross it from
    the list to begin with.
    4. Uneven body gaps. The body gaps are wider on
    one side of the hood then on the other.

my car from Houston (I am in Dallas) because they
    did not have one with traction control on it. I
    have not signed any papers on it yet, but the
    dealer was very nice, and I hate to go back on him.
    By the way, I am paying around $600.00 over
    invoice. Is that decent?

STOP REPEATING YOURSELF!! :-)

1. My 2000 I30t has Bridgestone tires and I consider them to be pretty quiet over most surfaces. Some noise on concrete roads though.
    2. Steering wheel vibration under braking is usually caused by warped rotors. Often caused by driver riding the brakes. (Those "old men"?)
    3. Acceleration off the line is not as responsive as TL, but other features compensate IMHO.
    4. No uneven gaps on mine.
    I think that $600 over invoice is a decent price. My local dealer wouldn't do much more than $1000 off list so I bought mine under invoice thru CarOrder.com -- but they're now out of business.