Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    "let's see if they increase the price because of the new technology..."
    Are you kidding me? Current RLs were going for mid 30s. If that hybrid thing works out, it's gonna blow away any competition. In one rollout, RL, which now stands as the most outdated car among its peers, will become two steps ahead of competition in technological advancement. What I read just blows the mind. Nothing like that was ever attempted on any serious realistic commercial contender, let alone a high performance luxury car.
    You have best of all words. Power? You got it - 360 total. Fuel economy? You got it due to rechargable electric component. Hey it is even an all wheel drive to boot if you think about it.
    I mean if that thing actually works and car will be as reliable as a typical Acura normally is, I see nothing Lexus or Benz or BWM have to match that. It just blows the mind away. Unfortunately, I expect this car to fetch upwards of 50 grands easy, and even though it will be worth every penny of it, I'll be priced out for sure.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I think it depends on who the competition is. I've read several write ups that have compared the RL to the Lexus GS, and other write ups where it's compared to the Lexus LS and M-B E-Class...if the hybrid rumor proves to be true, it's going to be even harder to classify and narrow down the competition!

I don't think it would cost 50 grand though. At most, Acura will probably increase the price to 45 grand.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    This makes real sense in terms of Honda's history of plowing new ground. And it avoids the very thing they were trying to avoid by refusing to add another V8 to the market. Instead they give a "green," economical luxury car. It won't compete with anyone (at present) but set an entirely new market, like the Echo in the economy car class. But with an electric boost as indicated, it won't be a performance car by any imagination.

However: 1)it will have to be pricey with a new, light platform; 2) it won't be a performance car (for both engineering and marketing reasons); 3) it probably won't include me.

JW
    I think you're seriously underestimating the potential that the additional 160hp (if autoweek is correct) can add to the new RL's performance.

It obviously won't rival any turbocharged V-8 from Mercedes, but a combined 360hp should move the RL with aplomb while returning better mileage.
    I wasn't really thinking of the horsepower but of the way an electric motor is used in a support function. It's not as if they had a 200+hp engine then gave it a 165 boost -- this is a back up. And I agree that the power will be wonderful, but I'm pretty innocent in understanding how this will be able to turn into the sort of instant-delivery torque we think of a "performance."

If you're right, and I'll be really interested in seeing what happens of course, I'll be willing to eat a large portion of crow. If you know something about this sort of power delivery that suggests I'm wrong, please post!

JW
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    My parents '99 RL is one month away from the end of its 4 yr warranty.

they would like to get the extended warranty. The best price they have been given for a 7/75 is $1000.00

If I remember from this forum, that seems a bit high. What prices did any of you pay?

Thanks

P.S. Can they get this from any Acura dealer in the country (meaning, can it be done all via phone, or does the dealer selling the policy need to see the car)?
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I have a 99 RL and the only thing that went out after the warranty was my rear view mirror dimming feature. It just didn't cover the entire area anymore.

The best price I could get for a replacement was $435. (Doesn't include labor). If you have the dealer put it on, it will probably cost around $500.

Other than the mirror, I haven't had any problems. I didn't get the extended warranty and I'm at 98k miles.
    They've got the Nav system, and both of them (as well as I) would feel more comfortable if everything were covered.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Many thanks to I943973 and JW.

hintz-
    Don't pay a penny over $35,500. As for the "fit and finish", check the paint carefully. Mine has an orange peel texture look to it on the hood with a rather noticable splotch. Acura will repaint but as they said, the car will never look the same again. It ain't that bad so I'm going to live with it.

Hybrid RL?-
    If the story is true, it will once again prove Honda's devotion to being the leader in "green" cars. Something that Ford & Chevy say they can't do (snicker). But to address JW's concern about power from electric motors, you ever ride in a San Francisco electric bus? While no speed demon, those puppies have torgue that would pull a six story building off its foundation. Once that power hits the ground in a hybrid RL, the gas engine takes over and I'd say we've got a pretty damn good 0-60 time on our hands. That is if my assumption is correct that the electric motors get you going and then the gasoline engine takes over or supplements the electric end of things. Nevertheless, I don't see Honda selling a flagship automobile which would be state-of-the-art and not have it give surprising performance. Infinity is shaking up things right and left with the G35. Surely Acura/Honda will do likewise.

scott31-
    Acura will sell you an extended warranty thru any dealer. My best friend got it on the TL I sold him for about $1,200. It adds three years and 50K in miles (there are other options available). Same terms & conditions as the original warranty with the exception of a $50 copay per visit. I'm no fan of warranties sold by third parties. No guarantee they will be there or allow you to use original Acura parts. As for seeing the car, I don't think the finance guy even got out of his chair during the purchase process. Is it cost effective? Only you will know when or if you need a repair at a future date.

Relentlessly,
    Lee
    Sorry, forgot something. Read in Automobile or Motor Trend that OnStar's customer retention rate was no more than 10% after the first year on ALL OnStar models (first year is free). I'm almost five months in my RL and frankly, I don't see a reason to keep OnStar. I didn't buy their prepaid cellular phone deal (waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive) and I've never used any of OnStar's features. Now if that made the $400 plan go for something like $75 a year, I'd do it.

Anyone have additional thoughts/comments?

Thanks.
    I think Onstar is wonderful (I have it in my '03 TL-S), but only at the Safety and Security Plan level ($16.99 a month). I fine the other plans to be too expensive. To me the $17 is a small price to pay for the comfort of knowing that if I have an accident someone will summon help for me, unlock my doors if I need to, sound my alarm if I can't remember where the #$%@# I parked, summon roadside assistance if I need it, etc.

I do not like their calling minutes plans, I agree with you, they are WAY too expensive. But I do plan on buying 30 minutes that expire after 12 months for emergencies.

Also, check with your insurance company. You might get a discount since Onstar is like LOJACK, but better. With lojack the cops have to have the lojack receiver, with Onstar, they will direct the cops to the car.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2000 RL and paid $925 for 0 deductible 7/100 Acura warranty in the summer. The car has been great as expected and even if I don't need it mechanically, it keeps me in the loaner program for service and roadside assistance if ever needed. I have had no problems thus far but am about to replace the original Michelins with 27,500 on them as they seemed to have lost much traction as we head into winter.
  • hownowhownow Member Posts: 7
    To jmw4:

Sounds like you got a good deal, but I'm curious as to how you got a $0 deductible. I thought all Acura warranties came with a $50 deductible.

To scott 31:

As you probably already know, you have to determine how long you plan to keep the car, and look at how much mileage you have now. My own Acura warranty experience was with my '95 Legend. I got a 7/100 plan with a $50 ded. and was glad I did. At the end of the 7 years, the car already had 95,000 miles on it, and I had repairs done totally just over $100,000. Keep in mind that between 75,000 & 100,000 miles, a lot more will tend to go wrong with a car. Plus it was a piece of mind guarantee that justified my holding on to the car that long.

I found it didn't matter which dealer I called, and no one was interested in seeing the car. But I want to stress that you should hurry up, because I seem to recall being told that you have to sign up for the extended warranty by a certain time prior to the expiration of the factory warranty. I think it was something like 30-60 days, but I'm not sure. Good luck.
    They offered me a choice of either a $50 deductible or a 0. The difference was not much between them. They said most people opt for the 0 deductible.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    If you got $100,000 worth of repairs through your warranty, I would say you got the deal of the century.
  • rdharamsrdharams Member Posts: 17
    To jmw4:

You indeed got a good price on your 2000 RL extended warranty. My dealer is quoting me $1545.00 for my 2000 RL with < 8500 miles. Which Acura dealership offered you this warranty? Assuming you purchased it from a Acura dealership...

Can anyone confirm whether I can buy this warranty from any dealer around the country?
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Yes, you can buy an "Acura" extended warranty from any Acura dealer from around the country and it will be honored by any other Acura dealer anywhere else in the country.

Later...AH
  • chill12chill12 Member Posts: 2
    Well, recently traded my 70k 97 Premium RL for a 45k Lexus LS400. Did it without the ok of my wife. Costly mistake. First I took a bath on the trade. Second my wife wont speak to me and has been crying and p-ssed ever since (3 weeks). She never said so but she was in love with the RL. She hasn't driven the LS yet.

I was going to buy a 2003 RL but the dealer said they didn't know when they would be in. Strike on the west coast or something.

Had good service at the RL dealer. Transmission had a clunk from 1st to second. They put a rebuilt one under warenty. Screwed up my alignment doing so and erased the inside of my front tires in no time. They wouldn't do anything about that. Claim they didn't but I know they did.

Things I didn't like about the RL. CD in the trunk, that albeit slight torque feel from the front wheel drive (has a better road feel than the LS though), front wheel drive and V-6 engine. Well that's about it.

I hope my wife forgive me soon, I's tired of eating cold meals and sleeping outside.

The RL was all we needed. It is a darn good car.

Anyone hesitating about buying one - well don't. Dollar for dollar they are the best buy - bar none. I'm 68 now and I've had a few (cars) in my life. You won't be dissapointed in an RL. And, you wife will probably get attached to it. That's the best you can hope for anyway. Charlie
    rdharams:
    Actually the quotes from two dealerships in Chicago's western suburbs were very similar. You can shop the warranty for price at any dealership.
  • kidbebopkidbebop Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 1996 3.5 RL Premium on September 28, 2002. It's in great condition both inside and out. I also purchased AcuraCare which gives me 2 years or 24K miles. The car had 65,065 at purchase and now has 66,300. Only 1300 miles in 2 months.

It has a $50.00 deductible. I have two small problems and I am wondering if these should be covreed under the original warranty and not cost me anything or if I would have to pay a $50.00 deductible for both problems.

Yesterday the right rear window would not come back up after putting it down half way. I had used it before and there were no problems. I probably need a regulator or something like that. Should this be fixed for free or will they want me to pay a $50.00 deductible?

The other problem is the molding on the left bottom side of the driver's seat where the seat controls are. The molding is not flush against the seat because a little white plastic piece that connects the plastic molding to the underside of the seat is broken off. I don't know if there is a replacement part for that white piece of plastic or the whole piece of molding has to be replaced. I noticed this a few days after purchase of the car. It's not that big a deal but since the car is perfect in almost every cosmetic way I want to get it fixed. Will they cover this because I've just purchased the car or will I have to pay another $50.00 deductible for this?

Your info would be appreciated.

Cheers
    kidbebop
  • hownowhownow Member Posts: 7
    To rubicon52:

Ooops. Darn those misplaced decimal points. No, it wasn't quite THAT good of a deal. As you probably guessed by now, that should have read that I had just over $1,000 in repairs, and also that the warranty cost $1,000.

To kidbebop:

Since the original Acura warranty is only for the first 4 years/50,000 miles, it no longer applies. Any covered repairs would now fall under the Acura Care extended warranty, so it looks like you would be subject to the $50 deductible. I'd also be concerned whether the molding problem would be covered, since it sounds like they might try to classify it as cosmetic, similar to torn leather on a seat, etc. I hope you're successful in getting your repairs done.
  • namroknamrok Member Posts: 18
    I recently purchased a certified 99 RL from a local dealer. Great car except the windshield is pitted and has scratches (won't go in to how they got there). Anyway, I could have the windshield replaced, but I am concerned that it will never be the same (possible leaks, wind noise, rust, etc). The dealer offer me a 2000 with slightly less miles for $4500 plus trade of the 99. I know the 2000 has VSA and not sure what else different than the 99.

Is there added value with the VSA? I intend on keeping the car for a long time and putting high miles on it.

Any advice/input appreciated

Dave
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can you RL owners give me an idea of the miles-per-gallon that you get on your RLs? This would be for approximately 25/75 (city/highway). I would also like to know the RPM for exactly 70 mph. RLs are all 4-speed automatics, right? Thanks
    I recently purchased a certified 99 RL from a local dealer. Great car except the windshield is pitted and has scratches (won't go in to how they got there). Anyway, I could have the windshield replaced, but I am concerned that it will never be the same (possible leaks, wind noise, rust, etc). The dealer offer me a 2000 with slightly less miles for $4500 plus trade of the 99. I know the 2000 has VSA and not sure what else different than the 99.

Is there added value with the VSA? I intend on keeping the car for a long time and putting high miles on it.

Any advice/input appreciated

Dave
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    I get 19-21 MPG for 25/75 driving. I will check out the RPM at 70 but I also want to ask: Does anyone else notice a increase in engine/exhaust noise at about 79 MPH? This noise/harshness is not noticeable at slower or faster speeds but is kind of annoying at 79 mph.
    VSA is, without a doubt, of real value. But so is $4500. And VSA may retail for about $200 more. Have you done a comparison of the two in the used section here at Edmund's? You can compare the two using exact mileage, zip codes, etc. Without that information it's hard to know; also, how long have you driven the 99? If you just drove around the block and brought it back, I'd be inclined to say the dealer is sticking it to you -- again, assuming the cars were priced the same to start with. All else being equal, there should be about $1500-$2000 difference and about 10,000--12,000 miles. I'd just change out the windshield; glass companies do a fine job these days.

fredvh, I spend a lot of time at 80, or 3000 rpm. I'll look at 70 on the way home. In winter, @30lbs. in the tires, I get 20 or 21. In summer, @34 lbs. in the tires, I get 24 at 25city/75 highway. At 70, I would of course do better. If you get the MXV4 tires you'll find mileage is very sensitive to air pressure.

If you want lots more discussion of the mileage issue, do a search on this board. There was quite a long discussion of it at several points about a year ago.

JW
    JW,

Many thanks. The mileage difference is 3,000 miles. The KBB and galves difference in wholesale price is about $3000. I have put about 1K miles on the 99 since purchase. VSA is only worth about 200 more? Edmunds shows a $2000 difference at the retail side ($3000 more than I paid)

Many thanks, D
    I was wrong, fredvh, by a hundred rpm. (However, this is the first mistake I've ever made :-)

65 = 2400 rpm
    70 = 2600 rpm
    80 = 2900 rpm

So $4500 sounds about right, huh namrock? He's giving you wholesale, or about $1500 taken off for the thousand miles, and charging retail. The $200 figure for VSA was strictly a guess -- to be more accurate, you'd have to find a car where it is an option ... even then, it'd be a different car, so I guess it comes down to what it's worth to you.

Take care.
    JW
    Howdy all.

scott31-
    Valid points all (sounds like you read the brochure). But nothing there is worth $17 a month to me. I have a cell phone. It goes where I go. Plus the biggest problem is 30% of my driving is done where cell phones don't work/reach. Oh well, I have until next July to change my mind.

namrok-
    FWIW, I had the windshield replaced in my 1985 Honda Accord (and people wonder how I worked my way up to an RL). Never had a problem. Just make sure you find a good windshield installer. Get recommendations. As for VSA, I've yet to try to get it to work. Not sure I even want to.

fredvh-
    My gas mileage okay. Combo city/highway (30% city/70% highway) and the best I can do is 20-21. Yep, all RLs are 4 speeds. A fifth auto gear would be very nice and go a long way to improve that highway mileage.

mike734-
    Nope, I've noted no such noise. But when next I dare break the law, I'll be sure to listen.

Add on CD Changer-
    Anyone ever do this to the original factory radio? I'm thinking of having one added to my friend's 1999 TL (I'm playing Santa this year). I know the sound goes thru the FM radio so there will be a decrease in quality (but he has bad hearing anyway....just needs it to be loud enough). What I'm concerned about is the ease of install (even though I won't be doing it) and whether there will be any sort of permanent changes made to the car or its existing radio. I just want to make sure it can be returned to original condition should the changer not be to his liking.

Finally, has anyone noticed Edmunds has given a quick view into the future of the RL? They don't say much but once again it seems certain that Honda isn't going to have a V8. Pity.

Many thanks.
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a White 97 RL Premium. It is in very good shape inside and out. The only real cosmetic issue is very noticable paint scratches behind all four door handles where people put their hands to open the doors. My guess is this may be a typical design issue for the car since people's fingernails will hit that area of the door to pull the handle. Has anybody else seen this problem on older RL's? It may be more of a problem with light colors....I'm not sure. The area behind the driver's door handle is almost grey from all of the fingernail scratches over the years. Can this be buffed out, or will I have to either live with it or have the area repainted?
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Have you tried wax yet? I got rid of those scratches by using wax.
  • sranger941sranger941 Member Posts: 21
    I added a cd changer to a 2000 RL. I had it from a previous vehicle and wanted to be able to use it in the RL. It connects through the FM antenna. The changer is a Pioneer 12 disc and the changer is mounted in the trunk . I mounted the display unit in the ashtray opening (I don't smoke and the display unit is also concealed when the ashtray is closed. I was able to retain the use of the cigarette lighter plug.)

I had a local stereo shop install the changer since the car was brand new and I was not ready to start removing the dash panels. I had to re-do the installation of the display unit since the shop messed up the ashtray mechanism, but that is another story.

To be honest, the sound quality is excellent even though it is passed through the FM radio. I had tried other changers from Audiovox and Kenwood, but they did not sound as clear as the Pioneer, but I think this was more a function of the factory radio in my prior vehicle rather than the changers.

The installation is very basic and I will summarize a general set-up.

Changer mounts in trunk (or glove-box or under front seats if room allows). Changer wires into a power source that is switched on/off with the ignition and may also wire into a power source that is always on if the changer has any type of disc title memory. One wire to a ground. There is also a cable from the changer to the display/control unit that mounts in the passenger copmartment and is used to display and change the disc/track. The hardest part os my installation was finding a place to mount the display unit as I did not want it to be visible when the car was not being used. The last connection is for the FM radio and that consists of plugging the cars antenna cable into the changer and then plugging a cable from the changer into the cars radio.

Once installed you tune the car radio to a specified FM frequency and turn the changer on and thats all there is to it.

I would recommend getting a changer where you can change the FM frequency that the changer operates on from the display/control unit as oppossed to models where the FM frequency must be changed on the unit that is mounted behind the dash or in another inconvenient location.

Hope this helps and happy holidays.
  • pclark2pclark2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002RL from my local Acura store in Overland Park, KS. I bought a non-navi model for $35,000. This is my fourth car to purchase from this dealer and they have been great to deal with and service has been excellent with all 4 cars. I am very pleased with the RL....it is put together soo much better than anything made in the states....no squeeks or rattles and the paint is flawless. The ride and handeling are great and I like the conservative styling. I have seen the 2003 model and there are only 3 changes to then....the tail-light lens are now clear on top, the Acura emblem in the center of the grill is bigger and the style of the wheels is a little different and there are two new colors, carbon gray and solar blue....so if you are considering an RL I would grab a 2002 before they are all gone...this particular dealer Superior Acura still had about 5-6 of them.
  • ram03ram03 Member Posts: 2
    I recently brought my '01 RL into the dealer for a "popping" noise I was hearing from the right side of the car every time I applied and released the brakes. Initially, the service technician thought it was the ball-joints, so they replaced them. But this did not fix the problem. Then they thought it was the engine mount, so they replaced it. Again, did not fix the problem. Then they brought in the Acura area representative who said that it might be a "gap" in the seam of a body panel. They are trying to isolate this and said it may require replacement of the panel. The car has been with the service department for two weeks now. Has anyone heard of such problems? I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of Honda's "Luxury" brand. This is the second RL I've had and probably the last.
    Thanks sranger941 for the indepth look at CD changers. I really appreciate the info. I've purchased a Sony 10 disc changer and am having it installed the 14th when my friend is out of town on vacation. I hope he likes it as much as you've liked yours. And thanks for the info on hiding the controller.

mike734-

Was rushing down the freeway the other day and was certainly at and above 79mph. I did not hear the noise you mentioned. Sorry.

ram03-

Best of luck getting your RL fixed. But as you know, even a Lexus can have problems. Think of it this way.....in every day life would you accept a .1% defect rate? That's just one-tenth of one percent. So for every 1,000 M&M's you eat, one will not be perfect. Now take into account that your RL has approximately 14,000 parts. With our error rate in mind that means you've got 14 things on your car that isn't perfect. I'm not aware of any automobile manufacturer that has reached perfection.

TSX-

To answer my own inquiry, Acura will get the Japan/Euro version of the Accord as an intro sedan. Four cylinder car based on the US platform. However, the car is smaller than the new US Accord. FYI, should anyone care pics @ http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=acuratsx Also the 2004 TL might get 280 horses under it's newly designed hood.

Relentlessly,

Lee

• cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    WOW! I like that car! Any idea of size-price-HP-and when we will get it?

Thanks-Nice Pics,

CUSAFR
  • kidbebopkidbebop Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1996 3.5 RL Premium. For some reason there is no paint code sticker on my driver's side door jamb.

I know that the color is called "Eucalyptus Green Pearl". Can anyone else with this color please tell me what the paint code number is?

It would be appreciated.

Cheers
    kidbebop
  • spongenickspongenick Member Posts: 9
    I'M IN THE MARKET FOR A USED 2002 MODEL OR EITHER AUTO. I'VE READ SCORES OF REVIEWS BUT WOULD WELCOME SOME REAL-LIFE OPINIONS. THANKS.
    I drove both, and the Avalon, before getting my '02 RL. The ES300 ended up third on my list. While it offered more features than the others, the quality of the ride suffered, imo. (Obviously this is quite subjective.) It not only looked like the Camry but it drove like it too. The Avalon was equipped more like the RL (with a full option list) but still didn't have the solidity that the RL seemed to have and, in '02, didn't have the feel of performance, either. I know that I disagree with every review on earth, but I don't think anything offers as much quality for the cost compared to the RL. I have 20,000 miles now and am very pleased to be driving it on the highway.

But I am going to have to get something else for the weekends that is more fun to drive.

JW
    YOU'RE RIGHT - EVERY REVIEW I'VE READ PUTS THE ES 300 ON A PEDASTAL. I DRIVE FROM CHI-TOWN TO MILWAUKEE AND BACK 4 TIMES A WEEK. HP & PERFORMANCE ON NOT ALL THAT HIGH ON MY LIST. I WANT QUIET, DEPENDABLE AND SAFE. I HAVE A '96 CAV W/ 200K (DEPENDABLE) BUT IT'S NOT EXACTLY QUIET AND IS PROBABLY ANTI-SAFE. I ALSO LIKE THE UNIQUENESS OF THE RL - ES300'S SEEM TO BE BREEDING LIKE RABBITS. MY MOM WANTS AN AVALON SO THAT KILLED MY INTEREST......
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    If I know 2002 RL can be bought around $35000, I probably would buy RL instead of my ES300.
    What is wrong with Acura?
    How can your MSRP be $10000 higher than TMV?
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    I was comparing ES300 and TL, and I choose ES300.
    ES300 with some options get the price high very quickly.
    My budget was around $35000, I didn't even take a look on RL, because its stupid MSRP says $43000.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I checked the price of both a new 2003 RL and a 2002 RL at www.carsdirect.com, and they are both $39320. It appears the $4000 factory to dealer incentive is gone. Does anyone know if this is just a problem with the website, or has Acura sold out the 2002 RL's?
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    Dude, maybe the site didn't refresh or something. 2002s are definitely all on a discount extending till 01/03, but basically till they sell them out. Who on earth will pay 39K for 2002 at this point!?
    My only question is when 03s will go on discount? If only they added few horses to make RL more appealing. I love the looks, but hesitant about lackluster HP for a heavy car. Still debating with myself about buying it.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    You indicate safety is one of your concerns. In that regard the ES 300 is the better choice. It has more safety features and a better crash rating.

I think the RL is the only $40,000+ sedan that does not offer side curtain airbags.
    THANKS LENSCAP! - THIS IS WHAT I HAD READ @ NEWCARTESTDRIVE.COM ....
    Acura's side-impact airbags are among the most sophisticated in production. They deploy from the seat bolster, rather than the door panel. Seven electronic sensors measure the size and position of passengers; if a youngster in the front seat is leaning against the door, for example (a situation where the airbag might do more harm than good), the airbag will not deploy. Furthermore, the front passenger airbag deploys with less force in light contact or at a lower speed than it would in a heavy impact or at higher speeds.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I would like some real-world opinions on comparisons of the RL, TL, and ES300. In many articles they say the TL is the better bargain. Do you owners agree? I believe that you can get a new non Type-S for around 27,500.
    Now, even the Accord EX V6 offers side curtain airbags/side-airbags, voice activated Navigation system etc., along with other goodies like a turbine smooth 240HP 3.0L V6 engine along with a 5-speed Automatic transmission. It is very smooth too. This should definitely show the direction of the next TL that should be coming anytime soon. I think the RL ought to be retired from the line-up unless they plan to introduce a new one pretty soon.

This new TL will predictably eclipse its competitors like the ES300 etc., like the current generation TL did with the previous generation ES300.

Later...AH
    The RL is the new name of the Legend, which started the Acura lineup. Why would they want to drop it? But then again, why would they drop a name like Legend...but anyways, there is no reason why they should drop the RL. It's definitely (over)due for a redesign.
    My comment was a bit rhetorical...if the 2003 RL does not have even the minimum features, that even a low-end Honda Accord is starting to sport, then it has no business occupying the position of the "Luxury Flagship" of a company.

So unless they significantly enhance its content to match its competitors (rather than having less content than low-end products of Honda themselves), I think it should be taken out of the lineup. Automotive "time and tide waits for no car" !! They should either drop it till a redesign and then re-introduce it, or they should do some emergency surgery on the car that will make it more current.

Retaining it as a premium product, will have owners of lower-end near-luxury competitors like the Lexus ES300 etc., comparing feature-to-feature with a true luxury product like the RL and pointing jeering fingers at it for its lack of "features". Hell even Honda Accord owners with their 240HP V6, 5-speed Automatic Transmission, High-tech Voice-activated Navigation, Dual-zone climate control etc., would jeer at the RL if they were to sit in it...the lacks of the RL are so glaring.

Later...AH