Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    Just to take away some more luster away from already obscure RL a crash test results for luxury cars just came. And surprise surprise RL scored just acceptable. Meaning you are safer in RL then in a Hundai, that's all, but nothing befitting its flagship status.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/900575.asp?0ql=c8pcure

In light of this RL, even discounted, seems hardly a bargain at $36K. Considering that you can have a rock solid Avalon giving the same level of ambience and more room and safety than RL for 5-6 grand less.
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    The cost of that current "incentive" lease on RL does not make any sense. The cost of 39 month lease comes up to almost 22K, leaving residiual value of fair market price of 36K to only 14K or only 38%. That does not make any sense for a 3-year lease. For 22K you can have new V6 Accord with more horses than RL and you get to keep it for life.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    i'm in the market of looking for a new car. did some research on the internet. well, not to upset anyone, except the minivan (including mdx), Honda cars aren't doing that well in crash tests. i wasn't surprise to see RL only got an "acceptable" rating on TV last night.
  • sburke7sburke7 Member Posts: 37
    we are either all pleased with our rl's,,,no problems to speak of,,,or the new model is not selling that well, so there is nothing to get excited about here,,,I suppose,,no news is good news!,,,

My 2002 is running smooth as silk,,,already have 45k on it and all I do is change oil and rotate the tires,,,and ride in solid comfort,,,
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are you getting on the highway?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    but boy am I bored.

JW
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    You have 45k miles, and all you've done is oil changes and tire rotations?

You haven't replaced ANY of the filters?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The all-new 2003 Accord has a 5-star safety rating and is best in class.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I was thoroughly un-impressed with the "new" 2004 RL's dashboard. Basically the section below the navigation system. It is a shiny piece of metal with shiny tuning knobs...looks like something that should have been on a Neon or something. Yuck!

Also, all 2004 RLs come with Navigation as Standard equipment.

Later...AH
  • bongotoobongotoo Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody found a solution to this issue besides the costly dealer solution. My Traction Control light is on now. I'm I going to experience compounding problems as a result of ignoring the ABS Issue? The owners manual indicates that when the ABS is out, you still have conventional brakes. Can I ride on the conventional brakes for ever. Or will I experience decreasing braking effenciency?
  • sburke7sburke7 Member Posts: 37
    fredvh,,,I am getting around 24 mpg on the highway,,,running premo gas,,,just returned from Atlanta,,,ran around 78 mph in spots where the flow of traffic allowed,,,quiet ride for sure!,,,

scott31,,,the only filter I have changed is oil,,,with each change,,,should I change others?,,, the air filter is clean,,,the only one I can think of is the ac, which I was told should be done at 60k,,,

As to the looks of this car or the boredom of it,,,I do not see that, for my money and use of car,,,but when compared to what is on the road today in this class or price range,,,seems more horses are the rule, along with more bells and whistles,,,I think the 2005 model Acura will be something to get this board chattering once more,,,the 2004 is not selling well at all,,,the dealer here in Charlotte is not even advertising they have it,,,I think if I were going to make a change in cars, it might be the audi a-6,,,2.8, but then again I am not impressed with the reliability of that brand,,,thus the "sameness" (reliability and comfort) of this car is appealing to me,,,yet to be disappointed!

I talked with one of my customers this week who has a 99 3.5,,,car has 145k miles,,,he changed his timing belt and replaced water pump,,,other than tire replacement and oil changes,,,no problems!

SB7
    Since I made the remark re: boredom, let me also say that I agree with you completely -- reliability and a fine design are the RLs most pleasant characteristics. The boredom (for me...this isn't true for many, I realize) comes in the drive. Until I got the RL, for example, I'd always had a manual. While the insulated cabin -- from the road and road noise -- was wonderful for the first couple of weeks and is still pleasing in periods of high traffic, much of the time it makes me long for other cars I've owned, and for many that are now being produced. While the car is bulletproof mechanically, it is also emotionless and without any sense of passion or beauty (ref. Italian design principles!). While the RL is dignified and (those coming from lesser cars would say) elegant, it's as much fun to dance to as a symphony. So while I agree with you, for me I guess another garage would help, for an added car, or maybe another car altogether .... we'll see.

JW
    So while I agree with you, for me I guess another garage would help, for an added car, or maybe another car altogether ....

Could that "other car" be a WRX STi or an Infiniti G35 Coupe, by any chance ?? :-))

Later...AH
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I'm likely to either step-up to the "real" new, up-dated RL in '05, or keep my '96 as a spare set of wheels and get something else as an ADDITIONAL vehicle. Perhaps a crew cab truck or a manual trans coupe. No SUV - we already have an Odyssey.

No unexpected repairs on my RL. The biggest expense was the timing belt-waterpump major service, which was expected and budgeted for. Buying the pre-owned '96 RL with 36.8K miles for $20K was better than an '00 Accord EX-V6. Saved $3K and it rides a hell of a lot better.
    Like you, the interests are 'wide-ranging.' There is time to research, to drive, to study, and most of all, to drool of course ... I'm sure I'll see you around!!

Then ... JW ;-))
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I keep another car around for spirited driving in addition to my RL. After 2 hours in that car, its great going back to the RL. Its like riding on a cloud.
  • samifriscosamifrisco Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 Lexus and as a result of it being totaled from hail damage am about to buy a 2002 RL. My Legend was suposed to use premium gas but I used regular (as I did for my previous Legend) and it had run fine. What is the scoop on the RL in this regard?
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    I was reading about how Premium gas is unnecessary for "most" cars so I tried the middle grade (89) the other day. So far I have not noticed any problems or symtoms like knocking or lack of power. I am going to stick with it. I drive a 98 3.5 RL.
  • samifriscosamifrisco Member Posts: 2
    Premium gas does not affect acceleration. It aids smoothness of ride (i.e., prevents engine knock). The switch to regular gas on my Legend never affected anything, whether it was acceleration or smoothness of ride. I wish I could get a definitive answer to this because I hate paying for premium gas.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    I have heard that premium gas does not affect power but the Honda Odyssey manual says the HP is 200 with regular and 205 on premium. Apparently this has to do with computer adjusting the timing to prevent knock. Soooo would the same principal apply to the RL?
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Yes, if an engine is designed for premium, then even if it "works" with regular, it would not be optimal. The ignition advance is adjusted, when the knock sensors detect the onset of knock (with the lower octane fuel), thus reducing power output from the engine. So it will definitely affect acceleration and in fact even reduce mileage.

Later...AH
    Collision Mitigation Brake System. I got a feeling it will probably be in the next RL. Since it requires front/rear sensors, that will probably mean the RL will come with front/rear distance sensors

http://world.honda.com/news/2003/4030520.html

The bad news is that with all the poor drivers that drive fast and brake late, the system will be going off all the time. This feature will kinda of cheat the highway safety tests because it will start to brake if you don't. At least the E-Pretensioner will tighten up the dummy so it doesn't bounce around.
    the road morons who don't like to drive and prefer letting technology do the "thinking" so they can play with the cell phone while they eat dinner and get dressed on the highway will, of course, trust this sort of stuff.

There will, equally obviously, be a recall or two when 14.38% of the drivers have to have the accordion pleats ironed out of their face. This will prompt, again obvious, a class action suit and another bid for the presidency by Ralph Nader.

I'm sorry to sound cranky, but half the people I know still don't know how to drive with ABS and like to leave traction control off on the snow because it's more fun.

JW
    Just wanted to show what one owner did with their steering wheel.

The steering wheel looks good, since the wood looks to be a perfect match with the wood elsewhere.

However, did someone get a chance to see the 2004 RL ? The entire radio region is covered with a flat and shiny piece of metal with shiny metallic tuning knobs for volume control etc. Looks cheap and unbecoming of a Luxury car.

Later...AH
  • jrjjrjjrjjrj Member Posts: 5
    Where did you get the kit for the wood steering wheel?
    The owner purchased the steering wheel at http://www.demandmotorsports.com

I believe he paid around $550 for the custom wheel and $40 for installation at an Acura dealership. You also have to return the original wheel.
    Anybody heard of this. It's when your tires make a roaring sound as you drive. The tires on my 96 RL make this disgusting sound with only 10,000 miles on them. The are General Touring tires, not the best, but came with the rl when I bought it used. I had the same thing happen with our 99 SAAB 9.5.
    I talked with a used car dealer who told used the "tire cupping term" He said this a a major problem with Hondas and many other FWD cars that have center point steering. My RL sounds like a Cessna airplane. I absolutely hate it as you can imagine. He said to switch the rear tires and they will wear the opposite side and the noise will eventually go away
    Maybe he means when the new setup wears the tire into balance with the worn part. But then it'll continue the wear and come back again later, only now you'll have ruined tires.

Or maybe he means it'll go away when you sell the car!

Don't you think it's odd that many people don't have this problem? Another question:

Have you had your alignment checked in the last six months? The car doesn't have to wander for the alignment to be screwed up -- a 4-wheel alignment costs me $50. A good investment.

If the tire is too far gone, it may not salvage the situation. So whenever i get new tires or new brake work done, I get an alignment.

Good luck.
    JW
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    DITTO!

Wise advice from JW, a real sage. To "save" on the cost of a wheel alignment would be false economy at its worst: the tires aren't cheap!

I have never experienced the aforementioned tire problems on my RL. It had a new set of Potenzas when I bought it pre-owned 45K miles ago and is still going strong. Tire rotation every 7500 miles and wheel alignment every 15K (major service intervals).
  • malikjbmalikjb Member Posts: 10
    I have never waxed my 2001 RL. I figured that with 4 coats of paint, it is probably not needed. How often do you all get it waxed?
    There is a plastic grill that is clipped on to the underside of front bumber. Mine has broken (probably it hit a high cur) and has become loose. Should I replace it or just unclip it and throw it away?
    If your car no longer beads when it rains, then its probably time to have the car waxed. I wash my RL every two weeks (by hand or using a place with jet sprays). Wax usually lasts a few weeks. If you drive in the rain a lot, then the wax will probably wear faster.

Do you mean the black lip under the bumper? The plastic lip underneath the bumper is to protect the front underside. Its just high enough to scrap the curb or parking block so you don't drive forward too much. I wouldn't through it away. I would probably try to get a new clip for it.
    The piece sometimes tears and the clips will not hold when you go to replace it. But it also adds to the car's aerodynamics and will impact mileage, though I have no idea how much of an impact it has.

Wax is a personal issue with, maybe, a slight impact on resale. Some people don't get haircuts. I do.

JW
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    That lip is a pain. Once it tears loose, it is a booger to keep in place. I can understand that removing it may impact aero, but what about if one cannot get it to stay in place and it just flaps down there catching the breeze.

I have debated pulling mine off.
    1/ search web for replacement
    2/ search auto wrecks for replacement
    3/ buy one at dealer

sorry, can't think of anything else.
    JW
  • sturniolosturniolo Member Posts: 1
    My 2000, 3.5RL pearl white sedan had a gouge through the paint of the rear plastic bumper. The three layer paint couldn't be covered with touch up paint. It costed $350 to redo the whole section of the bumper paint. Is there a way to protect the paint in the plastic areas from scratches etc.?
    for "clear bra" or "3M clear plastic protector" or some such. Lots of stuff out there. An installer can cut a piece to go over the rear bumper and will probably have akit to do the front -- the part I insist on goes over the headlamps. When I found out a broken xenon costs 700-800 to replace I got real enthused about it.

Best. JW
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I hope Acura makes this a full-size luxury sedan with a V8 and a MUCH more luxurious interior but chances are they won't. Whatever <sighs>. I'm still curious about it.
  • chiggy45chiggy45 Member Posts: 10
    I saw a picture in a magazine that showed the supposed future RL. It looked great, and was said to boast an AWD V8. Although, I think Acura may have changed their mind, I think Acura should shoot past a V8, and maybe go even higher with a V10 or 12. I mean, Acura has to do something to lure drivers away from the Lexus LS and Benz's Sclass. I think the only way they can really charge more is if they offer so much that people just don't know what to do. Similar to what they did when they introduced the TL.
    Acura is going to have a V6/FWD according to Edmunds. Really dumb of them, but WHATEVER. I just found what u said about V10s and 12s humurous since Acura probably won't even have a V8. Most likely, the RL will remain mid-level, competing with Seville, Deville, Town Car, and S80.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Most reports indicate the RL will remain a V6, but will use the IMA hybrid system to give it more power. It's appears (know one can say for certain) that Honda is trying to move past V8s.
    Name one Honda/Acura that had a V8. I sure can't think of a single one.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I was only quoting what Automobile stated. If anyone can produce a V6 with 400hp its Honda. I agree that would be an expensive engine, and would be more fitting for the NSX, not the RL.

M
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Name one Honda/Acura that had a V8. I sure can't think of a single one."

I'm sorry, was that intended for me?

Honda has never produced a V8 for a production model passenger car. It appears they do not intend to anytime soon. The horsepower wars are getting to the point where it may not be possible to compete with an ordinary V6. Many believe that Honda will have to build a V8, or get out of the luxury car business.

However, V8 engines may become obsolete in several years. Smaller, more efficient engines mated with hybrid drivetrains could be the next big thing. When I wrote, "It's appears that Honda is trying to move past V8s", I meant that they may skip the V8 and go straight to the hybrid solution.
    Yes, that was meant for you.
  • gcomstock1gcomstock1 Member Posts: 8
    What would you do? End of July I have a decision- buy my RL3.5 for the $23K residual, or succumb to new car fever.

My practical side says...do the home equity loan and buy the car. Has the Navi system I need, as a Realtor, and it's crazy to give the car back and "leave 28K miles on the table."

My other practical side says "since I write off most of my car expenses, putting cash in any car ain't no investment."

My impulsive side wants a new car. Can lease a new RL3.5 for less than my current lease payment ($550/month) or I can lease an Accord V6 Navi for around $450/month.

The thumb wrestling continues...can't really find any Navi equipped cars at that price point that are very exciting (yeah, I know, keep your sex appeal issues off the highway, LOL). A6/ES300/Avalon/Camry's with NAVI are either dang rare, or all the dealers are yanking me...so the lease numbers aren't competitive with those I quoted above.

Different categories of questions, but I'd appreciate y'all's input. Thx~Geo.