Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Well, then, I think you have made my point. I have not been stranded by my Audis (since 1977). My co-worker has been stranded by his Acura.

I take these with a grain of salt, because my personal recent experiences have not had many bumps in the road and no issues that cause me to be stranded.

So, those of us who have a "particular" predilection for a brand (I, thus far, for Audi) and who have never been stranded are not "off their rockers," likewise, if a Jaguar or Lexus ever left you stranded, it would be the last one you would consider?

For me, this time, I am struggling with yet another characteristic -- value. I have mentioned that I cannot find the value in BMW, even though I have never driven a bad one (actually owned one for almost three years, in fact) -- and I am beginning to think that the $50K RL may be "more car" than a similarly priced A6 (also for '05). Indeed, I actually have been boning up on the GS300 for '06, to make certain I fully consider the "contenders" in the Premium Sporty car market (some 9 months from now).

This forum and the spate of test drives my wife and I have taken, has made my choice less obvious than ever before. A back to back test of the new A6 and RL will hopefully be very revealing.

Another thing I have been able to confirm, the RL will have On*Star and at least for '05 Audi will not. My 2003 allroad does have On*star and I do use it regularly and frequently especially when I travel (generally within 250 miles of Cincinnati). This may be a plus for Acrua and a minus for the Audi too.

So, I remain impressed that I finally found someone who has a long list of problems with his Acura -- like I said before, in an odd way, this indication of less than perfect reliability is, for the Acura, a plus. Indeed, even your comments about your Jaguar hardly make it seem like a car to avoid. In the Jag's case, however, I am less enthusiastic about its styling, so for the mean time, it is "off" my list altogether.

But remember, my list fundamentally may be flawed as I am not even considering any vehicle that cannot be had with AWD. Of course, the Acura passes as does the Audi -- and as you and others have pointed out, there are more AWD variants coming with each passing MY.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Let me make a claim that “I know someone who had a winning multi-million dollar lottery”. What are the chances we all know someone like that in person?

Statistics can help us understand the bigger picture, not personal experience. What, some might call perception, exists for reason(s). Acura RL and Lexus LS have been held high in terms of reliability, and that must be with a reason. It does not mean that 100% of their owners have had cars without trouble.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    One important fact that people forgot is that you want the cars to have problems as you design them otherwise automobile companies will go out of bussiness already. You make huge profit on aftermarket services. However, what you do not want to see is that the cars have problems within warranties as companies will have to spend money to fix it if they ackowledge that the problems do exist. Also, what contributes to the car problems is the aftermarket services that you have. As whoever work on your car may intentionally tighten the bolt so much that it cracks the panel, so you will have a oil leak, say, after 5,000 miles, and you will come back to spend more money. At the end, it is how much money that you could come up when your car has any problem.
  • rwalker07rwalker07 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if Acura is still considering a Hybrid for the RL model. I know there were rumors for the 05 model. Perhaps 06 or beyond.

I really think this would make a great car one of the truly best.

Thanks
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    If the GS350GT offers a hybrid system with more than 300hp, you can pretty much count on Acura to come up with a counter offer. Its clear that their days of sitting quietly and offering half decent cars are over.
    If hybrid happens, I expect it to come around as the initial sales "slow down", meaning, a year or two down the road. It might also depend on reception of Accord Hybrid that would be approaching near-luxury market. Given the compatibility of Honda's IMA system to just about every existing engine the company makes, it wouldn't take much to throw one in the RL.

If there is any argument that can be made against new RL, it would be that the V6 can't match "the low-end torque" of a 4.0-4.5 liter V8. IMA can easily address that.
    Exactly, thats the reasoning for the RX400h as well. Lexus knows its X5, ML, Toureg, and SRX competition all offer V8s, and HSD is the perfect way for them to address the additional power and performance of an 8 while getting a mpg boost, rather than a penalty. I'm quite sure that by the end of the decade, a significant portion of Toyota and Honda's lineups will offer hybrid power, if not have it as standard equipment. Most likely specialty cars like the Prius and Insight will disappear, as they will become redundant.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    I absolutely mirror your statements. Toyota & Honda are definitely in the lead over the hybrids, atleast in the market and they'll keep that going forward and if we cannot finish the Iraq quagmire soon enough, it is indirectly a boost for these companies to keep pushing that envelope of hybrids... and I definitely think each honda & toyota will sport atleast one hybrid variant in each model line up.

ksso
  • ajovialoneajovialone Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a 2000 RL from the auction and it does not have a Navi DVD. Even if it did, it would be outdated. Are there websites that sell discounted replacement DVDs or are we stuck with having to purchase it from the Acura dealer?
    My guess is thats something you would have to get from a dealer. Updated NAV dvds dont seem like big ticket items that could spawn dedicated websites or even ebay auctions.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I know in the Acura owners link, you can order DVD updates there. I'm not sure if they send it to the dealer for the installation or not.
    I agree with you in terms of alternative fuel will replace portion of gas need in the future, however, I think people just forget about diesel. As in Western Europe, the cars sold with diesel engines in them is around 44%, and it will be 50% by 2005.

The VW Touareg TDI has a twin turbodiesel V10 engine that produces 310 hps and 500 #-in of torque, and it redlines around 4,400 rpm, and EPA for the car is 17 city/23 highway. I do not think any car with V10 with this much output will have this kind of mpg. Plus, I think diesel is like 30c/g. And from another article I read, it id very common for diesel engine to have average mpg in a range of 35mpg, so if your oil is 18 g., then your driving range would be around 630 miles.

I think by 2006, people will consider to switch to diesel. I know I would give diesel a try.
    Diesel is okay too, but even with all the advancements (not only in terms of output and emissions, but NVH as well), they are still considered inferior to gasoline counterparts. Diesel also makes more sense in some countries (not USA) since it is “a lot” cheaper than “petrol”.

I want to see hybrid technology evolve (and it doesn’t have to be gasoline based, since it could use diesel and some fuel cell prototypes are hybrids as well) and for good reasons. Cars like RL can benefit from it, with added low-end torque (when needed) to curb the “demand” of “must have V8”, and without having to burn more fuel, instead potentially save some besides improvement in terms of emissions. And since cars in this price class are not as price sensitive as are the cars in $15-25K price range, it would be much easier to go with more frills (like, use of ultra capacitor instead of batteries).

I also see possibility of AWD systems using electric motors (several prototypes have been shown) to replace (or compete with) mechanical/electronic AWD systems. Both choices add weight and cost, but only one can improve fuel economy, emissions and add power.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Diesel is okay too, but even with all the advancements (not only in terms of output and emissions, but NVH as well), they are still considered inferior to gasoline counterparts. Diesel also makes more sense in some countries (not USA) since it is “a lot” cheaper than “petrol”."

And as I understand it, even the most advanced and cleanest diesels currently available would fall considerably short of meeting the much tougher emissions standards that will be put in place in California in the next couple of years. Given the size of the market for luxury cars in California, if a diesel luxury car would in fact not be able to be sold in that state, it would be a significant downside for the manufacturer.

I'm very curious to see what kind of mileage ratings the new "big engine" hybrids such as the Accord V6 hybrid and the rumored RL hybrid would get. So far, all we've seen in the US are smaller hybrids with 4-cyl engines as the gasoline powered component. At least in the case of the Accord, it doesn't seem like power is a problem, since the hybrid will be rated at 15 hp higher than the standard V6.
    And very likely, much higher low end torque. I'm anticipating more like 260-270 lb.-ft arriving at 1500-3000 rpm (something that can be expected from a 4.0 liter V8).

Besides, diesel engines tend to be heavier. Honda 2.2-liter i-CTDi weighs about 375 lb., about 70-90 lb. more than Honda 2.2-liter DOHC VTEC (Prelude). For that kind of additional weight, a more powerful electric motor can be added to boost low end torque, emissions and fuel economy without giving up available power at the top end.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I know it sounds crazy, but in Europe a number of diesels are now using aluminum for the block and cylinder head. The new ultra-powerful VW Touareg diesel is just such a unit, and I think (?) the 3.0 BMW diesel is too. Also the future Subaru boxer diesel is reportedly also to be aluminum.

So the excessive weight penalty one normally associates with diesels may be a thing of the past.

Bob
    Cars such as the E320 CDI currently cant be sold in California, New York, and 3 other states. Proe, 17\23 isnt that great, or anything to really get excited about. The V8 gets something like 15\20, so its an increase of 2 and 3mpg respectively. Big deal. The 400h should be getting 35mpg+ in the city, an increase of FIFTEEN mpg over the gasoline version. You can fill it up at any street corner, its 50 state legal, and will most likely be ULEV\SULEV. HSD is also still in its infancy. Toyota plans on having 150+ hp electric assist motors in the next few years, as opposed to the 400h's 40hp motor.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    A friend was at the local Acura dealer who told him that the list price will be $52,000. True?
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    The A8 4.0L V8 gets about 36mpg
    Um.. what engine are you talking about
    Honda has started its diesel “run” with the 2.2-liter DOHC I-CTDi using aluminum and it is supposedly the lightest engine in its class (by at least 10 kg as “The Telegraph” below mentions it). But at 375 lb. (a number I obtained from another website, it is about 80 lb. heavier than the 2.2-liter DOHC VTEC engine that powered Prelude for a long time. Another website (also European source) mentions it being 70 lb. heavier than the gasoline powered Honda 2.4/I-4 (also offered in European Accord).

The Telegraph: Honda Accord (Diesel)

BTW, the “mpg” ratings use “Imperial Gallon”. Correct me if I’m wrong, 40 mpg in UK would be 33 mpg in the USA.

A mild hybrid system seems to add 60-70 lb. as well (mostly from batteries, and that could improve over time). Much of the weight of the electric motor in Honda IMA system is nullified by reduction in weight of the flywheel (since they are bolted to each other directly).

This takes us to potential development of diesel engine for future RL/Legend. In a power hungry market, RL will need to have substantial power. Even if Honda developed a 3.5-liter V6 version of its diesel engine, it would be rated at 225 HP/400 lb.-ft (or something like that). Impressive it would be, but in terms of performance, it may only match the gasoline V6. And saying “225 HP” does not work as well as saying “300 HP”, even though the torque rating would probably be 400 lb.-ft at 2000 rpm versus 260 lb.-ft at 5000 rpm. And people (esp media) will still complain about lack of “V8”.

This takes us to “mild” hybridization. A reasonably powerful electric motor could add 80-90 lb.-ft at the low end. And even if it adds nothing at the top end, getting the car rated at something like 300 HP @ 6200 rpm and 320 lb.-ft at 2000 rpm could serve as a recipe to appreciate the best of both worlds. Besides, the gas mileage (and emissions) would improve. But, media is still going to be stuck at “lack of V8” (even though just a few will consider it if it were around as an option).

Both, diesel and gasoline-electric hybrid will add to the cost (I hate to say “diesel versus hybrid” since hybrids could use diesel engines as well). But, so will a V8.

But, IMO, the most promising aspect of hybrid technology could be its use as AWD system (and power “adder” at the same time). But, if Acura were to consider hybrid based AWD for RL, would they let go of SH-AWD? That will be interesting to see. We do know that Honda adapted ATTS the way it works in RL’s SH-AWD in 2001 Dual Note (“super sedan” using hybrid AWD).
    A diesel RL isnt going to happen.
    A diesel "Legend" could happen though. And if the luxury car market does end up going in this direction, RL could too.
    That would mean the development of an all new V6 though, wouldnt it? Isnt Hondas only diesel a 4? I honestly dont see the luxury car market going in that direction. Toyota cleary is interested in HSD instead, and something like 4-5,000 E320 CDIs a year doesnt signal a "radical change" to me.
    I doubt Honda will stick with one (diesel) engine formula for too long. Next might be a 1.7-2.0 liter version. But, if Honda plans to re-introduce Legend to European market, they could offer (and potentially develop) a V6. It will all depend on the direction the market takes.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    the 4.0L TDI engine in the A8
    I see. Audi doesnt offer that engine here, only their 4.2L gasoline powered V8.
    4.0l V8 TDI in A8 is rated 36.6 mpg (extra urban), but the mileage is in "imperial gallons". Converting to "US" gallons, the "extra urban" mileage would be 30 mpg. And it doesn't translate directly to EPA Highway estimate either.

For instance, Civic Hybrid is rated 66 mpg in UK (extra urban), which translates to 55 mpg (using std "gallons"), compared to 51 mpg that EPA estimate puts (for highway).

In that sense, 4.0l TDI may end up getting rated at about 27 mpg by EPA for highway. (4.2l gasoline V8 is rated 32 mpg in UK, translates to 27 mpg if you use std gallon instead of imperial, and EPA rates it at 24 mpg for highway).
    24? Thats it? Toyota's ULEV gasoline V8s can get that, according to the EPA.
    24 mpg is EPA (highway) estimate for Audi 4.2/V8 gasoline in A8. The same engine is rated 32 mpg ("extra urban" in UK).

The math for EPA highway estimate translates to 27 mpg for Audi 4.0/V8 TDI since the "extra urban" rating in UK is 36 mpg.

On a similar note, if Accord Hybrid does get rated 38 mpg (highway), and is sold in UK, it should get rated over there at 50 mpg (extra urban). And that is not too far off 52 mpg rating that the Accord Diesel gets (also extra urban).

Accord Hybrid and Accord Diesel would have similar low end torque numbers, but the hybrid would end up having 115 additional horses. And this would show the potential of hybrid technology better than any production hybrid has shown thus far.

Another reason why RL/Hybrid can be an intriguing possibility instead of going the typical "V8" (or diesel) route.
    One more point that I want to make is the repair cost of the Hybrid. IMHO, the cost is going to be much higher than non-hybrid as the system is much more complex. Actually, the judgment of the hybrid is still to be seen.
    The three other states are Connecticut, Maine, and Massachusetts.

According Money, the overall mpg is 32 mpg. And, according to March 2004 issue of Car and Driver, the observed European combined is 28 mpg and the gasoline version is 22 mpg.
    According to C/D, the issue with diesel is oxides of nitrogen, NOx.

"The new NOx target is 0.05 gram per mile for the first 50,000 miles of a vehicle's life, which can rise to 0.07 gram at 120,000 miles; the particulate limit is just 0.01 gram per mile for the full 120,000 miles. The last year's limits were higher - 1.00 to 1.25 grams per mile of NOx and 0.08 to 0.10 gram per mile of particulates. These regulations are considerably more strict than Europe's most stringent Euro IV standard of 0.40 gram of NOx and .04 gram of particulates per mile for diesel cars (Europe sets slightly tougher emissions limits for gasoline engines)."

I wonder why.
    Modern engines are more complex that engines of yesteryear. That doesn't make them bad, just different. The same logic can be applied to newer CTDi engines compared to the older turbo diesels.

If you want to look at it in a different way, diesels use turbo charger, hybrids use electric motor. That said, electric motors are sturdier and simpler than ICE engines to start with.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    The point is, no matter how well designed or reliable electric engines are, some of 'em will break down.

If there aren't a lot of mechanics familiar with how to fix those engines, the repair cost is going to be high, simple supply and demand.
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    I currently own a 2001 TL and am considering a new model. Not being particularly thrilled with the new TL I am looking at the new RL. Considering it is still a V-6 the new options they are touting do not thrill me that much. I live in Florida and do not see the need for AWD nor do I really need satellite radio. The pictures I have seen appear o.k. but the interior seems awfully dark and somewhat bland. Is it just me or does the dash seem to be almost exactly like the TL? It also seems like quite a bit of money for a V-6. In lookinjg at the upcoming Lexus GS its base engine is going to around 250 H.P. This seems more than adequate to me and the interior looks nicer to me as does the exterior. It also should be considerably less money, around 8-10K less for a rear drive V-6. I would appreciate any replys and thoughts on the 2 models. I am not comparing this to the G.S V-8 as this is not a model I am considering. When the new G.S. come out will there be heavy discounts on the current models?
    The new RL will be in showrooms in October.
    I live in Florida and do not see the need for AWD

Urban legend. There's a big misconception out there that AWD is only a winter benefit for those in the snow belt. Not true. Full-time (not so much on-demand AWD) is a year-round asset regardless of where you live. AWD is a big benefit in the rain, and with the new SH-AWD in the RL, appears to be a big plus in terms of handling too.

Having owned FWD, RWD, and now with two Subarus, I can assure you firsthand that AWD is a 365-day-a-year asset.

Bob
    RL AWD system is not just a bad weather AWD system. While it is definitely going to help in bad weather situation, that’s not the end of the purpose. It is designed to enhance handling dynamics of the vehicle. If "bad weather" were the only reason, VTM-4 (as it exists in MDX) would had served the purpose. There was no need to develop "SH-AWD".

And a new Lexus GS for $8-10K less! Good luck.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>The new RL will be in showrooms in October

Where did you get that information?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I'm a little late in chiming in, but AWD is NOT a winter climate only feature -- it is an overall handling, performance and safety feature that works in wet, dry or "frozen" conditions.

Plenty of races -- in warm places on dry pavement -- have proven the value of AWD beyond the "winter" advantage. Moreover, the last time I was in Florida, there were plenty of SUV's -- my assumption is that most of them see little off road time. Perhaps their owners wanted some of the advantages of AWD or 4WD despite the almost total lack of "winter."

Don't discount the RL simply because it is AWD, is my message.
    That said, AWD will be considered an upgrade in the GS. But I doubt it will be oriented to enhance performance the way SH-AWD is supposed to in RL.
    According to me dealer it will be October.
    How much do you think a GS 300 will be? I believe the RL will be around 48k and the GS V-6 around 39-40K. The GS V-8 will be around 48-50K.
    Thanks for the info. Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?
    Which would you all prefer?
    >>According to me dealer it will be October.

And my dealer (I called him this afternoon) insists a demo will be available late August. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    >>Thanks for the info. Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?
    Which would you all prefer?

For that price you don't get a premium sound system, navigation system, or leather seats - all standard in the RL. If you don't need or want any of those things, go with the Lexus. If you do want those things, then you're in the RL price range and you might as well go a little bit more and get the RL with AWD.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    These electric motors will mostly be a replace variety, whatever the cost. We have moved a long way since when they would crack open a motor and to the stator and windigs and all that to repair it. There is not much "difficulty" in swapping an electric motor, but then again, i may be biased as i have a background in that... but honestly a person with a below average IQ could do it...
    $39K for a GS300 seems unlikely. Current GS300s MSRP over 40, and I would expect at least some increase over the outgoing models. I think an '05 GS300 is going to be closer to $45K. Courtney, have you considered the Infiniti M35?
    Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?

Hard to tell until the *production* RL breaks cover. Right now we're just guessing.

Having said that, I've got to say I won't consider anything seriously unless it's AWD. So instead of paying $39K for a GS300, I'd pay $29K for a new '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited turbo or $33K for a new '05 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 LL Bean, both of which have taken a quantum leap upscale, are very luxurious, very powerful (both have 250hp engines), and come standard with AWD.

Or... if you're concerned about owning a turbo, and/or don't want a *station wagon,* and want a 6-cylinder engine, consider the 3.0R H6 Outback sedan at $31K.

http://www.subaru.com/servlet/showroom?model=OUTBACK&trim=30_- R_SEDAN&command=overview

Bob