Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• fschoefflerfschoeffler Member Posts: 7
    I had a similar problem with a squeaky steering wheel (sounded like styrofoam) with evidence of white powder on the steering column in our 1998 Silhouette. Took the car to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. This problem took 2 visits and over 3 days from the service department to investigate, get parts, and fix, but all is OK now. Apparently they replaced a bearing in the steering column.
  • mrushingmrushing Member Posts: 5
    A short story from yesterday's soccer game. We got there late and had to park halfway on a mound of dirt (closest we get to offroading). The front/passenger side was up on the dirt mound and the rear driver's side was in a little ditch. We opened the rear hatch to unload. When we went to close it, it banged hard and wouldn't close. I had to carefully push the hatch to the passenger side to get it lined up with the catch. I thought it was interesting how little it took to twist the body out of alignment. We'll try to find level ground from now on!

Other than a few rear end rattles, we still like it. It goes in for the 3000 mile oil change this week.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    Purchased a 2001 Silhouette GL yesterday for $323 over Edmund's listed invoice. This $323 includes a $50 processing and tire fee that the dealer said is added to all car sales. Did not get the $2000 cash back, as we opted for the 5 year, .9% GMAC financing.

I was seriously considering a Sienna, but the .9% was hard to turn down. Toyota and Honda don't offer such deals. Chose the Olds over the Pontiac and Chevy because of the 5 year/60K warranty.

We really like the new van, it is quiet and has a smooth ride. The cargo space behind the third row seat is quite good at 24 cubic feet and the flip and fold rear seats can increase luggage room even more. It also has more options than similar base models from competing Japanese rivals. Finally, at 72 inches wide, it fits well in our garage.

As far as build quality, my wife's 1988 Olds Delta 88 has 178,000 miles with the original engine, transmission, and computer control module. In other words, the three most expensive and critical parts of the car have done well. Many small things with the Delta 88 have gone wrong, but repairs have usually been under $400 and aftermarket parts are reasonably priced. I hope this latest GM product does better with the small things. We hope to keep the van for 13 more years!
  • whodgeswhodges Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at various mini vans for a couple of months now. I have always liked the Olds. Anyway a dealer in the northern VA has about 15 Premieres for $27750 each. They were event cars used for the Boy Scout Jamberi. We picked one out and everything on the van is in excellent shape. It only has 600 miles on it. I figured just enough to see if there were any problems with the van.

With taxes, tags, ... it comes out to 29K and change. The dealer is unwilling to go any lower.

I think the price is fair and thoughts...

Thanks
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    Whodges:

Wife and I got a new Silo Premiere earlier this summer. Paid $200 over invoice (in NOVA) for a brand new one. You're price sounds pretty good for a Premiere - especially since there's not much left to add on to that trim version of the Silo. We got the power driver's side sliding door, tow package and hitch, and gold package as extras above and beyond the Premiere pacakge. We also opted for the rear fold flat bench vs split fold down or rear captain's chairs.

The van is great - we really like it. Great features, great ride and handling. The only thing that really really sucked was the dealer. Although we settled on price quickly, the dealer kept screwing up things. For example, we were missing a set of cordless earphones for the entertainment system (dealer tried to give us a cheap-[non-permissible content removed] corded version instead), they installed the wrong hitch (1.25 receiver instead of 2 inch - got it for free as a result), they installed the wrong trailer wiring (didn't use the factory provided wiring), didn't clean the van before delivery, didn't do a walk through with us, didn't adjust the steering alignment before the delivery (we had to wait a WEEK before they could fix it - and they were told to adjust it BEFORE we picked up the van. I even saw the sales manager tell the service manager about it), lost our wheel lock key when servicing the alignment, etc. etc. All in all it took them nearly a month to fix their screw-ups. Nothing was really wrong with the van except some minor adjustments and screw ups they did - it just took them half a dozen tries to get it right. They eventually did come through - but not without a lot of yelling and complaining on my part. The dealer, btw, was Koon's of Manansass. So make sure you keep an eye on them if they're the one you're buying from.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like normal Olds service. Here in Lansing, Mi. which was the home for Olds all the dealers were the same as yours. I finally quit buying there products the same as many others, I guess that is one of the reasons they are going to stop building them. Poor service don't bring repeat customers.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    Bought my 01 GL (silver) in mid January. Now has 25k miles (no, that's not a typo!). I use it as my company car.

Van has done very well. Did the recall service on the power sliding door latch, but other than that, just gas and oil. At 3500 miles a month, I'm in the oil change place every month.

I do have a broken hinge pin on the dash storage bin. I'll get that fixed one of these days. Looks like the whole bin is one piece.

Not too happy with the tires (General XP200). They started thumping around 70 mph. when I had them rotated and no amount of balancing will solve it.

Drove 1700 miles this week, and got 24 mpg hwy.

mikey
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Mike.

Re your tires. I would suspect that the problem is that the steel carcass inside the tires is beginning to break down. Although the tread may look OK, it is impossible to balance the tires once this starts to occur. You are doing some heavy duty mileage

A trained technician should be able to tell by feeling the tread for bumps.

Rgds
  • dave231dave231 Member Posts: 17
    I have noticed a smell in my 97 Pontiac transport.
    There seems to be water leaking in through the e-brake cable grommet. Has anyone else found this problem. I also noticed that most of brake line holders on the drivers side underbody have broken. Has anyone seem that problem????
    I welcome any info.
    Dave at: ufpa97@hotmail.com
  • jdlanajdlana Member Posts: 2
    My 97 Olds Silhouette developed a water-logged underside body connector after only 55k. Fuel gauge went, antilock brake light lit, and the car ultimately stalled while driving. This connector is bolted to the underside of the car and transmits power to the fuel gauge, wheel sensor and fuel pump. Anyone else experience a similar problem?
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    I'm considering a 2002 AWD silo. Have dealers been willing to negotiate much on the Silo's in general?

How have the lease rates been impacted due to these vehicles being phased out?

I think I would prefer to lease so I won't have to worry about a dramatic drop in value once they are phased out.
    Rob:

Despite the new MY, dealers may still be willing to deal because of Oldsmobile's planned demise. You should give it a shot. Keep in mind that GM has extended the warranty for all Olds from 3/30 bumper-to-bumper to 5/60 bumper-to-bumper. Dealers may argue that this was enough to make up for potentially worried buyers about Olds demise. In any event, most important (as you probably know), is to walk into the dealer prepared with background info on costs, etc.

Good luck
    Thanks JC.

I figure the extended warranty only helps me pick a Silo over the Venture or Montana. Without the extended warranty I can't think of any reason to buy the Silo. Of course dealers have different ways of seeing things. :)
  • stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    Just purchased a 2001 GLS and love it. Traded in a 1997 Chevy Venture and was going to get another one, but after comparing the two, the GLS was much nicer than the Venture LT package. Kids are older now so got the second row buckets vs. bench I had before, but opted for third row bench vs. buckets in order to get the fold down seat and compartment found behind the third seat. Was very happy to get rid of those General XP 2000 tires. I will never get them again, couldn't stand the "thumping" noise from the liquid in the tires. Glad to see this one came with Goodyear Eagles. Also, realized Olds was the only one of the three triplets (Chevy, Pontiac, Olds) to have 16" tires. Overall nice ride. Would like to hear from other 2001 GLS owners on how yours has been holding up. Taken any long trips with it yet? Thanks. Barry
    When comparing the GLS vs. the Olds Premier, the only difference I could find between the one I bought and a Premier is the built in TV/VCR and $2,800? Am I wrong in that assumption?
    Barry
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The Premier has the Back-up Aid and Heated front seats standard, which are options on the GLS.
  • mcozensmcozens Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 2000 Silo new in March of 2000. I drove it alot for business, in fact in 16 months I have put 45k on it. I thought I was hearing a noise that sounded like a valve tap last winter, put could never put my finger on it. It started to get worse, so I thought our dealer could hear it and so took it in. It would "knock cold" and after a little warm up pretty much go away. I thought the engine was starting to get a vibration in it too. After having it a week, I learned they had diagnosed "Piston Slap". Was also told this would not affect the durability of the car. I told the service people, that was fine but if I wanted to sell it, and had someone listen to the noise and ask me what it was, did they think if I told them, don't worry, GM says thats just a little Piston Slap and it will run forever that that would go over ok. The service manager said I get your point. The service guy also stated GM has a "kit" to address the problem, which includes new pistons. So I asked for some factory assistance. The car was just 9k out of warranty and just 16 months old. The dealer authorized the repair with minimal trouble and only asked that I provide proof of oil changes.The car is still in the shop, but I have access to another car and am giving them all the time they need so it's done right. The dealer has done a great job in the service area, so I am satisfied.. it's Vic Alfonso
    in Portland Or. We really like the van and this does not sour us since we are being taken care of by the dealer and GM. Posted this for confirmation of the Piston slap problem previously reported by others.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    I've had both the second row bench (three across) and the second row captain's chairs on successive Silo's. At first, I was disappointed that the first one didn't have the captains chairs.

I found that the bench seats are much easier to fold down and out of the way up against the front seats if you want to haul something big.

But they were no longer available on the 2001 models (and I suppose the 2002).

Kids liked the bench seats better, too. They could fold the middle one down and have a sort of table between them.

I got the new one, and they didn't like the fact that their table was gone.
  • redsox5redsox5 Member Posts: 22
    Our 99 Silo has 38,000 miles (bought it at 28,000) and am starting to experience the first round of problems. I'm starting to hear a pop on right turns out of the driveway. I'm expecting cv joint problems, but it seems a little soon, as far as mileage is concerned. Have also been experiencing intermittant loss of power while starting the van. Not sure if the alternator is going, and it doesn't happen all the time. It always starts, but sometimes it's hesitated enough where the power to the clock has been cut long enough so the clock resets. Have also been getting the traction control/abs warning light, but like the power problem, not all the time. Of course this has all happened since the warranty has recently expired. Anyone out there experiencing similar problems with this wonderful van.
  • artic1artic1 Member Posts: 4
    While on vacation I began hearing a lifter tapping when the engine was first started. After the engine warmed up the noise stopped. Upon my return, I turned it into the dealer to be looked at. I was informed that it "was a tapping noise" and that GM said that it would not be a durability problem, although they didn't know what was causing it. I was offered to have the engine replaced and an extended warranty up to 50K. I now have 35K. I'm undecided on what I should do. Suggestions? I have read post #368
  • mcozensmcozens Member Posts: 3
    I'd take the offer of the new engine, especially since you are still under warranty. This got explained to me that the cause of the problem are two of the parts having to do with the pistons that are "in spec" but at the far opposite ends of the spec. GM knows what is causing it since as I had found out, there is a "kit" to address the problem. I'd think your offer would be the piston replacement and no upper end work, ie valves etc,
    but I would for sure take them up on thier offer, which sounds like you are being treated right.
    I will post again after I get mine back and get some miles on it to see how the repair is holding up. Good Luck
    Spoke too soon about loving the Silo Premiere we got earlier this summer. Wife and I took it to the Outer Banks this past week. While down there, the van developed a metallic clicking noise in the steering column. It appears when the van is warmed up and running. Depressing either the accelerator or the brake will temporarily stop the noise, but as soon as you let up on either, the clicking starts again. It definitely sounds like its within the steering column. Any one else have similar problems in a GM minivan? Also, the three zone climate control is acting up. The driver's side temperature never cools down to degree the passenger side or rear does. Any one have ideas on that one? Van is going back to the dealer this week with only 2K on it - yup, just 2K.

JC
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    Just did the paperwork today on a 2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premeire AWD. Yes they are being built! Ours was bulit on 06AUG2001. It is indigo/mocha two-tone and has every option (including the block heater) sticker is $36,780 and our price was $31,703, then we applied the $1500 loyalty coupon and took the GMAC 5.9%/5yr financing. We traded our 1999 Silhouette GLS. This is the last new Oldsmobile to be sold anywhrere near here (we live in the Sierra foothills, gold country) as today was the final day of new Oldsmobile sales here. A truck came and took the remaining new Olds' (six of them) as part of the dealer buy out. The Silo makes our fifth Olds (all from this dealer) and knowing that we have the last two new cars sold (I picked up a 2002 Aurora V8 on Saturday) makes us feel special and sad. Too much emotion about cars seems trivial today, but the loss of an American icon hurts more today than it might have a week ago. Our new cars will display our loyalty, the Silhouette will carry "2K2 OLDS" plates and the Aurora will say "BYE OLDS" front and rear. We have two new cars with 5yr/60k warranties (the company has at most just less than three years left). We will miss Oldsmobile, but nowhere as much as the people who do not own one.
    Congratulations on getting your new vehicle. Just curious if you ordered this vehicle?

I can't even find a dealer who knows when they will even get an AWD model in. I went to a Chevy dealer and they had no idea that the 2002's were going to have an AWD option.
    Yes, we did order the van. We placed the order on 21JUL2001, they had not started building the AWD models at that time. Our dealer was told that the van would be built the week of 27AUG. My build date in the previous post was a mistype, the van was built 06SEP2001 (the week after it was scheduled to be). Since they are cleary building AWD Silhouettes, I would assume that the Venture and Montana are being built in AWD as well. The GMBuyPower site lets you search for AWD Ventures on lots, but I could not find any in a limited search around the country. We must have one of the first AWDs off the line, but you can order one, and it will get built. Since the VersaTrak system is still new (Aztek & Rendezvous), the Olds is a good choice because of the 5yr/60k warranty.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a $500 internet coupon if I make a purchase by Oct 1st. I'm hoping some AWD's will be at the dealers by then but time is running out fast.

I've also checked the gm site for dealers inventory and have not found anyone with an AWD. You may have the 1st in the country.

I'm certainly considering the Olds for the extra warranty.

Is there any difference in the ride or handling with the AWD model? The versatrak comes with Independent rear suspension. I'm not sure what type of suspension the standard models have.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Just read on the USA Today website an article from Sept. 13th, stating that after pressure from dealers, GM finally announced that 2004 would be the last year for the Oldsmobile line. They also stated once again that parts would be readily available for years to come so there should be no worries from anyone regarding vehicle repairs. Still loving our 2001 GLS!
    Barry
    I have not driven the new van enough to formulate an opinion on the difference between it and the 1999 GLS that we traded in. The AWD Silhouette comes with Goodyear Integrity tires (225/60-16), just slightly more M+S looking than the normal touring tires. The AWD Silhouette has distinctive wheels (no chrome available) and a "VersaTrak AWD" emblem on the rear hatch underneath the Oldsmobile emblem. The factory sticker has no information other than to say that it is a shipping label only, to be replaced by a proper label on arival (it does include the VIN), but since the van was built to order (all of the build sheets state order type "sold") that does not really matter.
    A picture of the new wheel style for the 2002 Silhouette AWD is at http://photos.yahoo.com/clairhardesty . Look in the car pictures album. I will post more pictures of the van and the 2002 Aurora soon.
  • salesrepmnsalesrepmn Member Posts: 6
    Too bad you didn't wait till 9-20-01 to buy both of your new Old's. GM announced 0% financing on all new 2001 & 2002 GM models. Sure beats 5.9%.
    Actually, on the 2002 Silhouette, the rate for the 5yr loan goes from 5.9% to 4.9%, and on the Aurora from 5.9% to 2.9%. We took the $1000 rebate (unchanged) on the Aurora and got other financing. We were unable to wait on the van due to the closeout of our local Oldsmobile dealership. If we had waited until today to sign papers, we whould have had to ship the van to another dealer (at least 40 miles away), they would not have to sell it to us (dealers are not required to do employee sales), and we would have to re-negotiate the trade-in of our 1999 Silhouette. It would be quite possible that a new dealer would keep the van (and not let us have it) as they seem to be chomping at the bit to get the AWD models. In our particular case, our deal is still fantastic, after tax, CA DMV, and trade (only half paid for), we financed $29K on a van with a $37K sticker.
  • gordbertgordbert Member Posts: 9
    Just found this site and I was wondering if any of you out there experienced this problem: The car stalls and won't start in hot weather. I just bought our 01 Silo GLS 2 weeks ago. The first time it died was Tuesday at 280 miles in a hot afternoon here in sunny Florida. Dealer came and towed it. The next morning they said it starts fine and there was no error code set on the computer. So I took it home. It starts fine in the mornings while it was cool. Then on Thursday evening, I went out to dinner with the GM of the company and the car died at the restaurant (how embarrassing!) with 327 miles. I called OnStar and they performed engine diagnostic remotely (cool!) and found no code set. It took them and AAA an hour to arrive and they are not allowed to provide rides home (what was I suppose to do 45 minutes from home?). Since it was late and the outside temperature cooled down, I tried to start it... and it ran. So, yesterday I was on my way home from work, it stalled again in the hot Florida sun at 365 miles. This time in the middle of the intersection. This time it took OnStar and the dealer 45 minutes to pick-up the car. Again, there is no code set on the car's computer.

Needless to say, in my rage I am glad Olds is closing its doors for good. Anyway, am I the only one who has a lemon or are there more of you out there?
  • mrushingmrushing Member Posts: 5
    Gordbert -
    Sounds like a problem I had with my last car (a Lincoln). The fuel pump was failing on hot days. I could drive to work every morning fine but the car stalled a couple of days in a row when I was coming home. Changed out the fuel pump and everything was fine. Don't know if that's the same problem with your Silo but you might check with the dealer.
    I'm not sure I would suspect the fuel pump on the Silhouette since it is in the gas tank and should not heat up much. Since no codes are stored, the service people should do a thorough search of components that are not tied into the diagnostic system. I would suspect something under the hood, as this area heats up considerably above air temp if the vehicle is in the sun or has been run. You did not say if there was any loss of electrical power, if not loss of fuel is the most likely cause. The fuel pressure regulator could be at fault. Other more esoteric possibilities are: a cracked fuse element (bad from the start) that seperates when hot (ignition system), a wire somewhere in the power to the coils that was damaged during build, malfunction of some kind in an unmonitored section of the theft deterrent system. Bottom line, the dealer should keep the van until the real problem is found and fixed!
    I got to drive the 2002 AWD Silhouette yesterday on a short trip that included: a 4 mile 6% grade, flat but windy 55mph freeway, a 1/2 mile 8% grade, lots of very bumpy surface streets, a short,twisty 15% grade, and some of my normal commute routes (can you tell that we live in the mountains?). The van feels much heavier that the 1999 GLS and requires more push on the gas pedal to make it go, but the engine and tranny respond and the van gets up and goes just fine. It has a much firmer on center feel (nice), and corners much better. Braking is excellent, and the pedal feel is familiar (like the 1999), though still soft when compared to my Aurora. The transmission did a great job of gear selection for the 65mph 6% climb and held the proper gear all the way up. The 8% short grade was handled equally well, but it is only a 55mph climb. The 15% twisty is on a 35mph road, and the van dropped to 2nd gear as the pedal was pushed to maintain speed. You can really tell the weight difference here, but again plenty of power is on tap. Cornering is much flatter than the 1999, the van just feels tighter and inspires more confidence. I like it, there will be less (though still a fair amount) of a difference when I change from the daily drives in the Aurora to the weekend trips in the van.

So, has anyone else got a 2002 AWD van yet? Anybody taken a test drive? Any road sightings?
    I've checked the 3 GM dealers who sell the mini-vans and none of them can tell me when they might even get any in. It ashame but quite a few salesmen didn't even know they sold an AWD mini-van.

I'm in Cleveland Oh. A salesmen did a 300 mile search and couldn't locate one.

Just curious if anyone else knows of a dealer that has an AWD in stock?

I even checked the gmbuypower.com and checked different states but still couldn't find one.
    Thanks, mrushing and hardesty. The electricals worked just fine. It just acted like it was starving for fuel. I haven't heard from the dealer yet, but I will keep this message board updated just in case there are others out there with similar problem.
  • dhintzddhintzd Member Posts: 12
    A few weeks ago, during a routine LOF service stop, I spoke to the salesman that sold us our '01 GLS. I mentioned to him that there would be an AWD version of the Silo coming out, and would like to see them when they get in. He, along with the entire sales staff, knew nothing of the AWD version of the Silo coming out. Anyway, stopped in the other day to have the CD player replaced and had a chance to speak with him again. He mentioned to me that the regional Sales Rep ( I am in S. Dakota) stopped in, and mentioned to them that they wouldn't be getting any AWD Silo's until midway through the model year. He didn't go into any further details about it. I wonder if they are having production issues, or since we are in the midwest, we might be the last location to see the AWD version.
    I would think that if I could order and get one in CA, that anybody else could. Maybe they are waiting to see if mine falls apart before making any more! Just passed 100 miles today (got to drive it to work to show it off) and the more I drive it, the more I like it. Way better handling than the 1999 GLS FWD. I wonder if the dealers in Canada are getting preference for the AWD models.
    I guess they are monitoring you closely to see how you do. :)

An area Oldsmobile dealer said he couldn't even order one for me. I'm not sure if he just didn't want to deal with placing an order or if it was the truth.

The day before a different Olds dealer was going to place an order but we couldn't come to an agreement with my trade in.
    The verdict is in and it's the wiring harness from the computer to the fuel injectors. Took them about 3 days to trace down the problem. Hopefully they isolated the correct one.
  • metalfredmetalfred Member Posts: 3
    We bought our 1998 GL in 2000. We have been pretty happy with the van. Dealership takes care of us pretty good. Got everything fixed that we asked for. We had a rattling noise coming from the cowl. Fixed. We had condensation in our front parking lamp. Fixed. What puzzles the dealer and myself is the noise that comes from somewhere either, underneath the floor, or in the engine comparment. It does not matter whether you are driving or you are stopped. There is no pattern to when it makes this STRANGE noise. We have not had any performance problems with it, just annoying and concerning. It makes 5 thumping noises consecutively in about 3 seconds. It does it just out of the blue. The van won't make the noise for about 2 months. Then it will come back, sometimes 3 times in a day. I have been outside the van when it has happened also. I still can't tell where it is coming from. Dealer has no idea, because, of course, it does not happen when they have it. I bought an extended warranty, thank goodness. From previous postings it sounds to me like it might be the rack making the noise. Does any one else have the same problem and have come up with a solution?
    Hardesty,
    Just curious if you were able to take advantage of the free golf bag GM was giving away with the purchase of an Oldsmobile? Supposed to be over a $200 value.
    Rob,

I bought my '01 GLS on August 29th. I wonder if I'm eligible to get one? Any idea?

Thanks,
    Barry
  • coffey93coffey93 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a minivan (never had one before) and have one concern about the Silo - It's small engine and thus limited towing capacity. Does anyone else have a boat and if so, how does the Silo do in pulling it out of a boat ramp? My other option I'm considering is the 3.8 liter Chrysler Town and Country, but we are blown away with the comfort and gadgets in the Silo Premiere.

I don't have a boat yet, but hopefully will have one in a few years. It appears that it could tow an 18ft boat and would be stretching it for a 19ft which are rarely less than 3500 lbs w/trailer. The down side for me is I'm trading in a perfectly capable SUV (Explorer) in lieu of a van for my wife and kids.
    I received some a packet from GM(Oldsmobile)for Ryder Cup advertising. If I took a Olds for a test drive I received a dozen free balls. If I made a purchase by 12/31/01 I can receive a free Limtied Edition Ryder Cup golf bag.

I guess it pays to ask for info on their website.

What I have is a card that has to be filled out by dealer and returned.

If you have a card I would say you qualify. The don't really give a start date but I'm guessing I recieved this in late August. If not I can't say whether they are giving the out or not but you can try calling 1-800-984-2580 and see if it's possible to get one.

I actually received two packages but I'm not sure if I kept the 2nd one. If you can't get a card I can take a look and see if I can find it.

Good luck,

Rob
    Rob - Was it a card you had to send in? I could always call the number and tell them I sent it in and "Hey, where's my Golf Bag"? Think it'll work?
    They can check their records and see I just bought a GLS.

LOL!

Thanks, will try the number this week.
    Rob, right after I sent the last post, I re-read yours. So the dealer has to complete it. I'll try the number anyway. Thanks.
    I think it could work. Chances are they won't contact the dealer and ask them if they filled out the card.

The dealer simply puts their store number on it along with vehicle information. They won't have any record of actually filling it out.

Definitely worth a shot.
    Coffey93:

With towing package, hitch and wiring, the Olds Silo is rated to tow up to a maximum of 3,500 pounds. That's assuming you don't load the van up as well. Figure a lot less than 3,500 if you have people and gear in the van. Towing on FWD minivans is really for light duty. I don't own a boat, but I've towed a large grill mounted on a trailer and a trailer with two smallish motorcycles with my 01 Olds Silo Premiere and have had no problems whatsover (only other occupant in the vehicle was my wife).

With regards to boat ramps, keep in mind that the angle of some boat ramps (i.e., steeper ones) will make more work for the minivan as the weight will be even more distributed in the rear leaving less over the front drive wheels. If the ramp is wet, you may slip the wheels. In fact, in the towing section of this board, I think I read about someone having that exact problem with their FWD minivan.

With regards to the Explorer, my understanding is there is pretty decent interior space in those vehicles with RWD/4WD platform. Why go to a minivan if you really don't need to?

Hope this helps.