Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I have fold-down rear seat in my BMW 540iA (for extra few hundreds buck as an option). For one thing, I have never have an occasion to use it yet (my Odyssey took care of things). For second, I believes it compromises structure integrity (specifically, torsional/bending rigidity) by roughly 5-10% (due to lack of cross members that could be placed there).

I guess I can do without one. Just MHO. That turning circle does bother me. In California, there are many tight U-turns. My friend's RX300 with 44ft proves hard to negotiate tight U-turns and parking spaces.

robertsmx, great posts on the gear ratios.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I see that on their web site they now show EPA highway as 25 - vs. 26 on the press releases dated 1 Sept.

Still "based on internal testing".

Interesting.

- Ray
    Wondering why . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Looking at a couple of roughly comparable (nothing will line up exactly regarding size, HP, equipment, etc.) AWD sedans, I see the (2004) A6 4.2 300 HP listed at approx. 4000# and the Passat W8 (I happen to have owned one) at just under 4000#.

I do not think that the published RL weight is disappointing.

And I do not think that the EPA highway numbers (26 or 25) are disappointing.

If one requires (or desires) AWD, there are trade offs. One is the additional weight and parasitic drag of the additional drivetrain components.

- Ray
    No longer looking at AWD as a requirement . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I guess "porkiness" was too strong a word. Still when compared with cars like the BMW 530 and G300, the RL comes out roughly 400 lbs heavier. Adding AWD will account for 200 lbs, making the difference much smaller. That's very true. However, given that Acura wants to stay with a V6 only, I would think that weight would be a larger concern for them than other manufacturers.

Robertsmx - I've been thinking about your formula. At it's core, it's simply power multiplied by mechanical advantage, then divided by factors of resistance. But I've got a question about the tires. In your equation, you use the circumference of the tires as an indicator for their resistance to the power of the engine. What about the mass of the tires?

I would think tire mass would also be a factor, though I cannot for the life of me guess at how significant. Have you got any links on the subject?

Thanks in advance
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Dear Acura,

If your reading this, and I know you do since you've posted Edmunds comments on your site in the past.

Please add the ability to ask for the time using the voice command.

In our 04 MDX 189, the clock is so far down the dash that you have to look away from the road for 2 seconds just to see the time.

Having the clock adjust for daylight saving time would also be a plus.

thank you.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    New pictures of the "JDM RL", the Honda Legend...

Aggressive... lean muscle
    Exterior: Front
    Classy... sleek
    Exterior: Side
    Clean, yet muscular...
    Exterior: Rear
    Huge foot rest to go with "piano-style" gas pedal...
    Interior - I
    The front seat headrests have an interesting look to it...
    Interior - II

Link to the News Item (Japanese)

Varmint, mass of wheel will not play a role in affecting the overall gearing (hence thrust or the max speed in each gear). It will, however, contribute towards drag/rolling resistance and weight of the vehicle, besides handling.

I have had the set of formulas I quoted for several years now, and have been playing with them. But I’m sure a web search could lead us back to the source.
    I can't believe the 05 RL still has a 4-way power passenger seat! That was one of my grips with the current RL. Hopefully they will have a touring package like the MDX to fix this problem.

How come the rear headrests can be powered down but must be manually raised? Most folks that sit in the back NEVER raise the headrest.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Oh the RL looks good in the darker colors.... Now if only the US side of the Acura company becomes brave enough to move away from the 100s of shade of silver, champaigne & white & black that they offer and actually offer some nice deep dark colors...

but i bet their entire line up for the next 10000 years will always be these ridiculous boring silvers, golds & shades of gray...

blah!
    ksso
    the edmunds review of the 2005 honda ody is out. how far behind is the RL...

ksso
    Anyone heard when US pricing is expected to be released?
    - Ray
    Wondering about what that Canadian MSRP might bode . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I prefer black/dark blue tones. But the fact is, silver (or shades of) is the best selling color in the USA.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    IBM Delivers New, World-Class In-Car Speech Recognition System for Navigation in 2005 Honda Cars

(From: Auto-Tech 2004)

SOMERS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 1, 2004--

IBM's Breakthrough Embedded ViaVoice(R) Technology Recognizes Street Names; Solution Bundled with Real-Time Navigation and Zagat Survey

IBM(R), the world leader in information technology innovation, today announced that it has jointly developed with Honda Motor Company a unique, hands-free and natural-sounding in-vehicle speech-recognition system - the industry's leading-edge navigation application. Honda will offer the system as standard equipment on the 2005 Acura RL and as options on both the 2005 Acura MDX and 2005 Honda Odyssey in the United States and Canada beginning this month.

Using IBM Embedded ViaVoice software, Honda is the first car manufacturer to equip automobiles with in-car navigation systems using advanced speech recognition and text-to-speech capabilities that can identify spoken street and city names that exist across the entire continental United States. This allows drivers to speak all street addresses represented in the US navigation system database and receive turn-by-turn voice guidance to their destinations. The breakthrough voice-recognition system can also enable enhanced ease-of-use by eliminating the need for drivers to take their hands off the wheel or eyes off the road, since no typing on touch screens or manual dialing is required.

To create this advanced, natural-sounding text-to-speech system, IBM and Honda research-and-development teams digitally processed hundreds of hours of speech recordings previously found in earlier-model Honda systems. They also produced hundreds of additional recordings to design a high-quality, customized, natural-sounding text-to-speech voice, digitally segmenting speech and intonations that can allow vehicles to communicate naturally with their drivers. The result: a totally new type of speech synthesis that can capture the characteristics of the human voice. In addition to the natural-sounding text-to-speech, the Honda Odyssey, the Acura RL and the Acura MDX now feature more than 700 commands and more than 1.7 million street and city names that are accessible by voice.

Another unique system feature is nationwide dining information from Zagat's Survey, which provides drivers and their passengers the ability to request the names of, and directions to, nearby restaurants and also listen to or view restaurant reviews.

Besides its advanced speech recognition capabilities, the 2005 Acura RL comes equipped with the first real-time traffic navigation system in the United States, which integrates real-time traffic data into the navigation display. Other integrated features include:

-- AcuraLink, which communicates information between dealers and drivers, and

-- HandsFreeLink, which uses BlueTooth technology to synchronize personal cell-phone data within the car environment; this provides drivers hands-free, speech-enabled dialing on phones with built-in BlueTooth capability.

IBM's voice-recognition technology is integrated into the car's audio system so that driving instructions can be heard over the speakers. Alongside its navigation functions, the system also provides command-and-control capabilities for audio, DVD entertainment system (Odyssey) and climate control functions.

Honda and IBM, using IBM Embedded ViaVoice, have deployed leading-edge voice-enabled telematics solutions since 2003. User satisfaction with the Voice Recognition-enabled systems has been outstanding due to Honda's engineering ability and the strength of IBM Embedded ViaVoice's speech technology and automotive telematics solutions.

The new Honda navigation system is the latest in a broad portfolio of in-vehicle solutions that combine IBM's pervasive computing technology and telematics know-how. Software and electronics comprise a rapidly growing percentage of innovation and differentiation in cars today. IBM's integrated, open-standards-based software and telematics solutions are increasingly allowing data to benefit customers virtually wherever they are, helping to create entirely new industry models.

"Drivers can now fully access the majority of the resources inside the navigation system with voice input" said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "As in-car navigation systems evolve and become more commonplace in today's vehicles, our extensive voice-recognition features give Honda and Acura products a distinct competitive advantage."
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was hoping for, but I'd given up on it being that sophisticated.
    Will the American version (RL) be identical to the Legend (Japanese version)? I assume it will be -- minus the rear badge.

From the side, the car looks like a glorified Accord. It seems to me that it's the Honda Accord that is back. Hard to believe that after all these years this was the best that Acura could come up with for the "new" RL.

Clearly, most of what is new and exciting is INSIDE the car, and not on the outside. But hey, that's just my opinion .. your mileage may vary.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I have a similar feeling couple days ago when I went to the interactive showroom at acura's web site.
    Strange speaking, I still do know how my accord v6 looks like exactly after 3 years. I guess all I do is get into the car and drive it and get out of the car and the process repeats countless times. And, all I pay attention to is really the inside of the car.
    The IBM voice software is great even for current 04 TL and 04 MDX owners since these models already suppose voice commands. They can just upgrade their DVDs in the future and get the new IBM voice software. My only concern is that the upgrade will probably be more expensive to cover IBM license issues.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    robertsmx,
       Are you a tuner or some sort? You know quite a bit about car design.
       Any good book to learn more about car design?

Thank you very much,
    Thanks. But no. Its been a decade since I dealt with anything mechanical at engineering level.

I've learnt much of the things by observation and participating in these forums though. I'm sure you have and will, as well.
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I think it is pretty much the same except for one difference that I know of. The JDM version will have a new sensor that detects pedestrians since in japan some 30% of accidents occur with pedestrians. I don't think this feature will make into our RL.
  • chiggy45chiggy45 Member Posts: 10
    I currently own a 2004 TL. The one thing I've noticed while owning this car is that people automatically pay respect to it when I tell them I drive a new TL. Now, the old TL never really got that respect because it was slightly vanilla. Finally, Acura comes out with what I've been waiting for them to do, a car that not only competes with the best, but leaves them in its dust. Now, the new RL was supposed to be the next big thing from Acura. I've been checking websites for close to 3 years now, hoping to get a glimpse of it. After seeing it, I wished Acura would take another 3 years and figure out that they are a building a premier luxury car, not something that we would see at a Mercury dealership. Although I am a huge huge fan of Acura I'm so disappointed in their work on the RL. I finally felt that people were starting to respect the Acura name, the TSX and the TL and even the MDX have set a pretty solid standard, I just wished the RL could follow. Why does it seem that every other luxury car company (perhaps besides BMW) seems to be on the right page. As we speak, Lexus is coming out w/ two new LS class cars, one to compete w/ the S-Class Mercedes, and one to compete with the E-Class and alike. With this car, I was atleast hoping to take out the new M from Infinite, but by the looks of it, the new RL will fall short on the attractive meter. If Acura is lost, tell them to enter some chatrooms and here the public's opinion. If people could see through a car's sheet metal into the inside, Acura would be at the tops, but fortunately LOOKS DO MATTER. Maybe one day, Acura will realize that the more respect they earn as a company, the more their cars will sell. The TL has finally earned that respect, when will the RL?
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    There is a distinct difference in the driving dynamics between my '96 RL and the '02 Accord EX leather V-6. Despite the heavier weight and a mere 10-hp advantage, the RL seems smoother and more powerful in the lower RPM range than the Accord, as well as giving a better ride. The Accord does have its advantages, though: a fold-down rear seat back, an in-dash 6-CD changer, and better gas mileage.

I've always considered the Legend/RL to be a glorified Accord - a little roomier and more plush. But, the Accord has always been a great standard to other manufacturers to emulate.
  • chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    Reviews from Temple of VTEC ont he new RL on a race course and on the streets have said amazingly positive things about the SH AWD system. Definitely check it out.
    In the Japanese market, the Legend will get all the frills that its lesser cousins (Accord and Inspire) do. This would include intelligent cruise control, lane-keep assist, Nightvision, CMS/E-pretensioner etc.

For the American market, either those frills would add to the cost, or Honda doesn’t think American buyers want it until the MMC (model refresh) couple of years down the road. ;-)

But then, we’re probably talking excesses. The new RL already has a load of them but in a non-traditional way.
    "Varmint, mass of wheel will not play a role in affecting the overall gearing (hence thrust or the max speed in each gear). It will, however, contribute towards drag/rolling resistance and weight of the vehicle, besides handling."

Yeah, I know mass isn't a factor in the gearing. But as a component in resistance, I thought it might degrade thrust much like the weight of the vehicle does in your equation.

Silly factoid for the day...

Using that formula a CR-V LX (5 speed manual) with AWD will pull .61 g's in first gear. Which is about the same thrust as the TL quoted earlier.
    Weight of the wheel gets included in the total weight of the vehicle, so it becomes a part of it when computing thrust.

Yep. You're right about the CR-V. Honda was very aggressive with the first gear ratio in the CR-V.
    When I saw the RL at the NY Auto show, the car was in a lighter champaigne/silverish color... and it really did not enamour me.

After seeing the pictures, I think it looks completely stunning from front and back (not profile) in DARK colors.

I think it looks completely ugly in light colors, front, back or profile.

wow, damn....

ksso
    >Acura would be at the tops, but fortunately LOOKS DO MATTER. Maybe one day, Acura will realize that the more respect they earn as a company, the more their cars will sell. The TL has finally earned that respect, when will the RL?<

Chiggy:

Thank you for an outstanding post. You have succinctly captured the essence of what is for me at least the continuing dissapointment in the moribund RL legacy. Looks do indeed matter, and when someone steps up and pays 50 Large for a luxury sedan the car should look the part. It's appearance should evidence one or more of these attributes: speed, muscle, grace, elegance, luxury, class, stature -- and be pleasing to the eye. The kind of car that you look back and admire as you park it for the night, or the one you are proud to get in after the parking attendant brings round your car outside the restaurant.

It continues to amaze and astound me how Acura could get it so wrong AGAIN. Their design staff should be FIRED. While the Lexus LS430, the S-class and E class Mercedes, and the Audi A6 look like luxury cars, Acura's offering is a glorified Accord. Even the Infiniti G35 looks like a car with some passion in the exterior design.

It simply boggles the mind how Acura keeps churning out mediocre styling for the RL, notwithstanding the terrific looking styling of the 2004 TL.

I will wait to see the car in person, but as I have said many times on this forum - ad nauseum - Acura's wretched styling prompts me to wait and see what both Lexus and Infiniti offer in a similar price range.

-- Sorry if I have gored anyone's ox, but after all this is a forum which fields multiple viewpoints and tastes --
    >I think it looks completely ugly in light colors, front, back or profile<

LOL! It's funny how different tastes can be. I had exactly the opposite reaction!
    Well, I realize we all are different. If you think a lexus LS is good looking, you are already on the far end of the solar system in my opinion ;)

Just a warning note, if you haven't seen the M in real life, something I noted you seem to be drooling about, from my impression at the NY Auto show, the M & RL both have similar sqat-sitting frog stance & look, just different details. I generally don't like nissan looks, 99% times, except the 350Z... and I think the M looks better in person than the RL, but then again it was a relative comparison of auto-show cars, both in UGLY lighter colors.

It tickles me that everybody keeps talking yards and yards and yards about how they are such a distinct individual & unique & then they all go out and plunk 20, 30, 40, 50 & more K's on really silly silvers and white's & grey heaps of metal... colors that everybody has!

ksso
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "I will wait to see the car in person, but as I have said many times on this forum - ad nauseum - Acura's wretched styling prompts me to wait and see what both Lexus and Infiniti offer in a similar price range."

Well, we already know what Infiniti has in mind for this price range, and I know from previous posts that you consider the upcoming M45 to fit your perception of what a luxury car should be. Like you, I'll wait until I see it, but from the pictures, "wretched" doesn't do justice to my reaction to the M45. Tasteless, tacky and lavishly fitted with hideous, overwrought styling flourishes inside and out.

"Its appearance should evidence one or more of these attributes: speed, muscle, grace, elegance, luxury, class, stature -- and be pleasing to the eye."

Well, to my eye, the M45 fails miserably on all of these fronts. Give me the understated elegance of the RL any day.

As for the other cars you listed, Audi has just placed a major blight on the formerly attractive A6... the "gaping maw bottom-feeder" grille. Looks like they decided to subscribe to the Infiniti approach of "styling excesses for the sake of styling excesses". All I can say is "ugh".

And I've just been looking at spy photos of the upcoming S-Class redesign. Its front and rear styling is so similar to that of the new RL that it could have come out of the same design studio. So either Acura isn't as far out in left field styling-wise with the RL as you claim, or Mercedes has just taken a giant step into the same left field. Personally, I think the former is the case.
    I'm not too happy about the new design either. As with most Acuras, I'm guessing you have to see the car in person to appreciate it.
    Infiniti's current styling works only in the G35 Coupe. For some reason, the G35 looks tall, and the M35/45 concept appears bloated at the front. On the contrary, the RL's fascia has a tight, crisp, sporty and hunkered down look which I like. Here is a picture of the M from NissanNews.

I have a feeling that over time, RL's styling will grow on people, while M's will fade. We shall, of course. ;-)
    Though there maybe criticisms of the new M class, I would first like to make a quick comparison to the cars that are currently around.
    S-Class = gorgeous

LS=has a solid shape to it, not the sexiest car, but still looks like a luxury car

E-Class= gorgeoous again, they did a great job at making this car sleak

BMW 7 & 5 Series=exotic, for those who want to be different, this is the choice

A8 & A6= look sleak, I've never thought audis to be really exotic, but rather they have a clean look to them that makes them nice. The new grill is pushing them towards the "sexy" end.

RL= It is neither sexy nor luxury like. The current RL has that Lexus LS luxury look to it. It just looks like they worked so hard on the inside that they got tired and forgot about that outside. By looking at the car, you can't even say who to compare it to.

Another note, even if the new S-Class misses on the looks side, or the new LS misses, or even the new M, all of these car companies have at least another car to back it up. the S-Class has the new CLS and the E-Class. The LS has the GS to back it up. The M will have a new Q to lead the way. We only HAD one shot, and we BLEW IT. So, that's why this design is such a problem, there is no Acura above it to compensate for it, to say, oh well they built this one bland, but then they went really exotic on this one. For now, Acura will have to ride on the TL's coat tails.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    The car that the RL reminds me most: the last generation CL. The same C pillar, the same nose. Glad Honda's still in love with CL looks, because no one else is. I'm surprised because RL & TSX were moving away from that generic CL look!

chiggy, Infiniti might drop the Q, making M its top of the line. The stated reason might be such a large car doesn't have the performance it wants to project as a brand. The real reason probably is it doesn't want to develop a new platform for very limited volume.
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    Think the pictures of the new rl look very good. But as many have written, no one will be able to tell for sure until they see it "live" and sit inside. Personally, I love dark colors for looks, like my pal Ksso, but love light colors for upkeep and hot climes. favorite car color is midnight blue with a saddle interior. favorite to own is a light metallic gold/beige with saddle -- never looks too dirty!

Based on the amazing analysis done by robertsmx, am a bit disappointed in the revs level for top-end in the new rl. too me, the ideal would be tracking around 2200 at 80 mph for combined low fuel usage, quiet engine compartment but not so low that it takes much time to cycle to higher revs for acceleration in top gear. perhaps the rl should have been equipped with a 6th speed?
    > Well, I realize we all are different. If you think a lexus LS is good looking, you are already on the far end of the solar system in my opinion ;) <

Not to split hairs but my point about the LS 430 was simply that it looked the part of a luxury car. I would be the first to agree that the front end of that car desperately needs a new look, and always has. As far as it's profile and tail, I can live with it; though it surely does not stimuate the senses.

Replying to other fellow's observations -- as for the Infiniti M class, my comments were meant to address the new 2006 M, not the existing model, which I agree has a front end reminescent of a large mouth bass. And speaking of large mouths, yes, I concur that some of the new Audi's coming down the pike have a front end only a mother whale could love.

This short and squat trend in styling as Ksso adroitly recognized, as well as the bizzaro front ends on some of the newest cars, is a direction that I personally don't like. BMW's 745i was an early case in point -- and that stretched Dodge that's half-car and half-station wagon makes one wonder what the design stylists are smoking these days.

To me it's kind of sad that it seems that some of us will be picking cars not because the styling thrills us, but rather, it comes down to the car that's least offensive to the eye.

But as comedian Dennis Miller likes to say, I could be wrong.

;-) Cheers!
    >the RL's fascia has a tight, crisp, sporty and hunkered down look which I like. Here is a picture of the M from NissanNews. I have a feeling that over time, RL's styling will grow on people, while M's will fade. We shall, of course. ;-) <

Indeed tastes do differ. I think that the front end of the 2005 RL is its weakest trait -- it's cross-eyed.

As for the M, yeah, straight on, the front end ain't great, but it's no worse than the RL IMO, and the rest of the styling -- profile and tail -- do work for me.

Sure will be nice when these cars hit the showroom floor so we can all have a good look up close. Of course, this thread will see its demise shortly thereafter.
    Indeed tastes do differ. I think that the front end of the 2005 RL is its weakest trait -- it's cross-eyed.
    Well, having read your posts over couple of months, I&#146;m not surprised at your assessment. But RL looks smarter to me, and its headlamps flows into the grill. It is athletic, while M is laid back with eyes that suggests cluelessness. ;-)
    For my part, I think the front end of the RL looks like the Aurora. That's not a bad thing, but it's not an aggressive look, either. The back end looks like a more athletic version of the XG350, which is to say "interesting" without being stylish. The overall impact is a look that will weather well, but isn't going to set the world on fire.

As for the M35... I'm sticking with my angry amoeba analogy.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Hey, to each their own...but to me the 06' Infiniti looks like a pleasingly "plump" woman, the Lexus L430 gives the appearance of a "matronly" old woman, tha Audi A6 does indeed resemble a large mouth bass. Frankly I'm biased when it comes to the RL - I was initially disappointed but the more I look at it the more the styling pieces fall in place and to me - it looks like a smiling mako shark - especially with that sharkfin radio antenna on the roof!
    Hahahahaha...although I tend to cringe when you rail and rant about the new 05' RL, your statement "...I think that the front end of the 2005 RL is its weakest trait -- it's cross-eyed." is about the funniest thing I've yet about the RL.
    my comment was not about the current M, but the 06 M displayed at the Auto show in NYC.

As i've said consistently, given I dislike lighter color, and that both the RL and the NEW 06 M concept at the auto show were in light colors, i liked the M better, but purely based on pictures (and only the darker colored RL considered here), the RL looks better to me.

I am not ashamed to say I love the old 5&7 BMW's and I ALSO love the new 5&7 BMWs...

my taste is twisted.;)

ksso
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I am biased about the Acura products as well and was waiting a long time for the new TL but when it was revealed last Oct..... felt we got short changed with the new design. Now comes the 2005 RL ....I am delighted! They got it right!!
    Indeed, now that we have some official factory stats on the RL I'm anxious to hear what Mark's impressions are - Where are you Mark?
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    "To each his own" is exactly right! I have no interest in Lexus, Infiniti, etc. BMW's I-drive is a deal-killer, IMHO.

Now, my '96 RL is going to the dealership on Tuesday (9/07) for a minor recall issue. I'm sure I'll hear from management about the '05 and me being "the first."
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Prophet:

I, too, have a '96 RL and received no recall notice. What is the reason for the recall?
    Please elaborate.Ironically, I have an apointment at the dealer on 9/7 as well....both my ABS and TCS lights persist in remaining on. Do you have any idea what causes this condition and is it a complex fix?
    Thanks.