Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>You're right, the Dark Blue is breath taking, and looks awesome. I hope this color shows up as a choice.

I'm assuming the blue that was shown is Opulent Pearl Blue, which is the choice I picked for my RL.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    As a rule, my daughter favors dark green and does not care for blues. Her mom's '93 Integra LS Special Edition was "Island Green." She was taken by the "Eternal Blue" of her '03 RSX and took that over all other choices, complete with a spoiler!
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I received an e-mail from Acura this morning, informing me of the 2005 RL update to their website, plus offering to send me a full brochure by mail. If you want a new brochure mailed to you, you can sign up for it at the Acura website. If you register there you will supposedly "be among the very first" to get the brochure.

There was a link to the the new mini-site -- which is still under construction -- saw the car in two colors -- the dark red stands out in my mind. Taken from a slightly high vantage point and showing the right side profile of the car, which included a view of the tail, this red RL sure looked an awful lot like an Accord to me.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Steveaccord and Robertsmx, thanks for the photos of a blue RL. It looks outrageous! My order is for a deep blue one with light interior. I hope it resembles the one in the photos (saved for the clear corner lights). I have a black RL as wallpaper on my PC. Black RL is not bad-looking, either. I have seen two kinds of silvers and beige in photos, they looks timeless, but they just don't have the WOW factor.
    >I have a black RL as wallpaper on my PC. Black RL is not bad-looking, either<

Do you happen to know whether the black paint is a "flat" enamel or a metallic finish?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Good point...

RL, there are minor similarities, such as the belt line crease, roof arch, c pillar. Though these are common design themes used by many manufacturers.

The RL does look very good at this angle.

• jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Ledgendman, I agree...the red RL leaves a lot to be desired....The mini site will be completed later and include the full line of exterior colors no doubt but as for the brochure it was my experience to obtain one from a sales rep sooner than you will get it from the website sign up.
    I went from charcoal Honda '84 Accord to white '91Accord..then to white '92 Vigor to white 2000 TL, bought the wife a white 2002 Civic ex.... so I'm still thinking white for the RL til I see this navy RL picture! HMMMMMMM...I just wonder......
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Taken from a slightly high vantage point and showing the right side profile of the car, which included a view of the tail, this red RL sure looked an awful lot like an Accord to me."

Hmmm... I see the brand identity cues that have been discussed uptopic, but that picture doesn't look especially "Accord-like" to me.

Different strokes and all that...
    Do you happen to know whether the black paint is a "flat" enamel or a metallic finish?

Here is an excerpt from a guy posted in other site. It seems to be consistent with what I have read.

Desert Mist Metallic with Ebony ( Gold on TL)
    Desert Mist Metallic with Parchment
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Ebony ( Black on Everything)
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Parchment
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Blue ?)
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Taupe
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Gray on TSX)
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Taupe
    Redondo Red Pearl with Ebony ( Deep Red on TL)
    Redondo Red Pearl with Parchment
    Premium White Pearl with Ebony ( Pearl White on TSX)
    Premium White Pearl with Parchment
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Greenish Silver in PR Photo)
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Regular Silver in PR Photo)
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Blueish Silver on TSX)
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Taupe

Among all my top two choices are
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Parchment
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Taupe
    Just looked up the definition of curb weight.
    curb weight = the weight of a fully fueled vehicle with coolant, lubricant properly filled and all standard equipments included, and excluding drivers, passengers and cargo....

For a vehicle like the new RL with EVERYTHING standard, no wonder the curb weight is higher than I expected. Just a thought, any comments to add? This definition also penalizes a bigger fuel tank, doesn't it?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Yep. Curb weight creeps up with features. Just a +1 size wheel could add 30-40 lb. Besides features, it is probably an emphasis on the safety cage that is also adding to the heft of vehicles these days.

With the outgoing RL tipping the scale at 3893 lb, even with addition of features, biggest of them all… AWD, the weight gain is just 55 lb. So, Honda has managed to shave off a good few pounds to compensate for the addition of AWD. A typical AWD is said to add 270-300 lb. but SH-AWD is expected to weigh in around 220 lb.
    I spoke with my sales guy at Keyes Acura in the Los Angeles, CA area. He says that they expect the car to be in stock around October 14-18.

I asked about their allotment. He says they expect about 20 cars a month; that number (supposedly) going to the larger volume dealerships. Price: Acura HQ continued the "under $50K" refrain to those dealers who attended the local area introduction event. The salesman thinks $48 or $49K is the number, though he says they won't know for sure until the trucks show up with the cars on the trailer.

Sounds like Acura is going to keep close tabs on inventory movement which translates to me as not wanting to produce more than demand dictates (stale inventory killed profts on 2003 and 2004 RL models) and perhaps also to keep availability artificially low in order to create the impression of a "hard to get" car.
    good information...thanks ceric
    curious why they don't feature taupe interior with the white pearl
    Gentlemen Place your orders now!... :)
    Sounds like Acura is going to keep close tabs on inventory movement which translates to me as not wanting to produce more than demand dictates (stale inventory killed profts on 2003 and 2004 RL models) and perhaps also to keep availability artificially low in order to create the impression of a "hard to get" car.

Considering Acura has about 250 dealerships in USA, allotment of, on average, 15 for one dealership per month would be enough for 3750 units of sales. That is on par with G35 sales number for August. Not bad for a $50K+ vehicles. GS300 only sold 700 units last month. 2004 RL? Around 300 units. Acura would be extremely happy if they can sell more than 2000 units in the first month. After all, their annual target for 2005 RL is about 12,000 to 15,000 units.
    Thinking there are many Legend/RL existing owners out there chomping at the bit. This could conceivably keep the demand going strong into 2006 unless production gears up. ( I have a basic question that will appear quite naive but is the RL made in Japan or Marysville?)
  • fbearfbear Member Posts: 117
    October issue of Smart Money (published by Wall Streeet Journal) has an article on best new car values for 2005. RL is listed in luxury category along with BMW 530i and MB E320. Sticker price is listed as $46,145. Is that the 2004 price or could this possibly be the number?

Meanwhile, October Issue of Automobile has a rave review of the car. ( and lists an "estimated price of $49,000)
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Well, count this Acura RL owner as one to be chomping on the bits! I can only speak for myself, but as a previous RL owner (99' RL) I was always pleased with the reliability and the elegant conservatively styled RL - I knew I was in possession of a quality vehicle. I was, however, less than enthusiastic over the cars agility and speed capabilities - and desperately yearned for more. The new RL appears to have addressed my concerns. I placed a deposit back in May and can't wait to take delivery in October (sigh). As far as some of the criticism concerning it's appearance goes...hey, it's a Honda product and it's carrying the "bloodlines" rather nicely. It's not bloated looking like so many others and has a certain "svelteness" about it that I find very appealing and think will be an enduring visual quality. Of course my opinion is a subjective "thang" and all I have to say to others concerning the RL's appearance is "to each their own" - buy something else if you find it so bland! However, based on the preliminary reviews I've been reading, including R&T's comment that BMW drivers will need to redefine the meaning of the phrase "Ultimate Driving Machine", Acura has hit a home run and you'll be hard pressed to find something better for the money ($48,000 est.) The the RL will, IMHO, be the "benchmark", mid level, 6 cylinder, performance oriented luxury sedan...for at least, the next two years...
    " This is a luxury car. Every surface, every control--large or small--feels as though it's been upgraded."

They also compare the SH-AWD system to the "stellar handling" of the AWD system on a Bently Continental GT which "blew them away".

On the track, tested along side Audi A6, MB 320E and BMW 530i, the RL "more than held its own and felt absolutely teriffic at speed."
    The Smart Money magazine reflected 04' model pricing according to a footnote in the article, and may have even refered to an 04' model since they are heavily discounted now and the article focused on "value" -

I've not read the Automobile magazine article, but the way it's going now with all of the "preview" reports on the RL being so "glowing" ... I think we have an unqualified winner on our hands. Go Acura!!!
    The text of the article referred to the 05 as it highlighted real time traffic system and all wheel drive which of course do not apply to the 04 RL.

I kind of suspected that the price might be the 04 price although I cannot find the footnote saying so in my issue.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>Well, count this Acura RL owner as one to be chomping on the bits! I can only speak for myself...

Ditto! I've loved my 99RL, but can hardly wait to take delivery of my 05. I'm number one on the waiting list at my dealer. The SH-AWD, the voice activated NAV, the real-time traffic reports, etc., etc. All of it has my blood racing! And count me as one who loves the styling. I fell in love with it at the NYC show and every picture I've seen has added to it. Bring it on!
    Fbear...my "bad" it wasn't actually a footnote! It was in the body of the article above the matrix titled "The Best New-Car Values" and I quote "Where possible, we included sticker prices for 2005 models, which we noted in italics, but in most cases, only 2004 prices were available at press time..."
    If you have owned an RL or 2nd generation Legend, and also saw the new 2005 RL at a car show, can you compare how this new seat is constructed?

There is a lot being written about the RL's increased car interior space and soft leather on the new seats. What I want to know is, are the new seats wide and comfortable or are they tight and pinching (heavily bolsetered)?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I saw the new RL but couldn't sit in it because it was loaded on a flat-bed truck going for a demo or something. From what I could see, I guess the seats are wider and less bolstered than the TL seats.
    My wife especially loves the comfort level of the older TL seats, especially when we travel and she is looking for an equal or better comfort level seat in the new RL...(not looking for heavily bolstered seats either)
    I have a basic question that will appear quite naive but is the RL made in Japan or Marysville?

Actually, RL (Legend in Japan) had a big announcement in Japan as well. It will be produced entirely in Japan (sources of parts vary, of course). You can read a lot of the news in response.jp. If you read Japanese... otherwise, see some good pictures from crash test of the RL, the ACE structure, etc.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Autoweek magazine shows estimated Base MSRP of $46,000 and manufacturer claim of 0-60 in 6.5 sec.

Also has pictures of base model center stack without the central control knob. I thought that was standard equipment but it appears to be optional.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Hi everyone,

I guess there was a discussion a few pages back about the comparo of the new RL with other sport luxury vehicles. I do not recall reading which models where involved so I'll cite a reliable source that was invited to test the RL.

Audi 6 3.0 Tiptronic Quattro
    BMW 530i
    MB E320
    RL 2004
    RL 2005

Of course, we know that the new models for some of the above mentioned cars would be tougher contenders in a race track test comparo, but nevertheless the 2005 RL simply dispatched them all.

The lucky dog I was referring to had also the chance of driving the car out of the testing track as it was raining 'cats and dogs'.
    His real world testing was as positive as the race track one. He reports that the vehicle simply corrected flawlessly an aquaplaning episode and that tabling the gas at intersection and abruptly steering left with the very rain coming down would still results in a flawless turn. I should mention that the account points out that VSA never was activated (hinting that the engineering is such that the car was behaving well within its handling capabilities) and that while the Audi diplayed heavy front wheel traction behaviour it was possible to obtain rotation under throttle condition (this was done in the race track).

So my impressions that this vehicle will be the best on the road stand strengthened. I should be as cautious as the editor in question was, we still need to wait full evaluations but my impression is that all initial reports were actually on the conservative side so LET's GLOAT ON.

P.S. I guess I cannot reveal the godly site from which the details were cited but I guess a lot of you already have seen it or they will soon do so in the printed press.
    They've obviously placed wrong pictures, don't have an "actual" MSRP and Acura has not released any "official" 0-60 times!
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    That autoweek article has an interior of the 2004 TL not the RL.
    Thanks for the answer Ceric....and I'll just look at the pictures.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    The interior RL pic on Autoweek has been corrected. I was surprised to hear the Honda official say that they don't do styling. I think when you paying that much money, some of it should be for the styling.
    It was a sarcasm.

As for pricing, I suspect $46-48K.
    >see some good pictures from crash test of the RL, the ACE structure, etc. (response.jp)<

Any tips on how we can navigate to see those photos? I went to that Japanese language site, but it was all Greek to me.
    1, 2, GO!

The new RL looks very muscular from this angle.
    While the Autoweek review was generally favorable, the guy sure got his licks in against the former RL model, that is, after he bored us half to death with an entire opening parapgraph that had little to do with anything. It seemed like the author was rather sparing and stingy with his accolades -- maybe he had a few too many Southern Comforts while out there in that Washington, DC heat.

I am very pleased to see that the press on the car has been so favorable. Its also nice to see some decent photographs of the car -- much better than those originally teased out by Acura. Had they used this current crop of photos, instead of the little slices, sneaks and peaks provided earlier, Acura would have faired better in the styling remarks it received. Of course, these new pix appear to be done by an entirely different photographer using altogether different shooting styles, lenses, aperature settings, and low angle and strategic compositional positioning (rule of thirds & spatial division) within the image frame. Some of these new photos will very likely be seen in the new 2005 RL brochure.

I would be curious to know more about the "(we) don't do stying" comment" quoted in the article. If that in fact that was said by a Honda exec, did they mean that they (Honda) don't concern themselves much with styling, or that they farm that out to a 3rd party design studio?
    Legendman, My Greek neighbor couldn't even help me negotiate that site!....LOL... JJ
    P.S. Ceric my friend Please help us out!
    I joined this forum much later than some of you guys and sometimes when the site opens up I find myself reading mid-May postings and I just wanted to comment on your information about the OCTANE in GASOLINE. It was quite interesting and very educational especially for anyone who would want to use low octane gas in a 300 HP V-tech engine! Makes no sense to buy a luxury car and try to save pennies on the gas!
    Now that we all have seen lots of great photos and read some thick and meaty articles on the new 2005 RL -- with all it's horsepower, SH-AWD, and other electronic wizardry, I would like to pose a question -- just for purposes of conversation and "what if?".

Here's my question: Did Acura really need to wait until now (fall of 2004) to produce the new RL model that will arrive at showrooms next month?

I think it fair to say that most would agree that the RL has been overdue for revamping and restyling for some time now. Need Acura have waited until now in order to produce the new RL model we see today; or, would a car that, even minus a few whiz-bang features, have sufficiently captured the imagination of the car buying public and the praise of the automobile magazine critics?

My follow-up question: will the new RL finally change minds and mindsets? Will the 2005 RL finally get some respect; something that Rodney Dangerfield -- and prior RLs -- couldn't seem to get?
    I think it will, and to some extent, already has. Once the car gets out on the street, and in commercials, more people will notice it. But for now, and given that the original RL lasted nine years in the market, there may be enough repeat buyers who would be looking for replacement.

I've read elsewhere that Honda had scratched an earlier design before they finalized on this one. As far as success is concerned, this could instill the same flavor that 1999 TL did to the less known first generation TL.
    I tried using Babelfish for translation. Here is are a few of the links to the (translated) articles...
    "That Is One Large Transformation To Super Sedan"
    Use Of Aluminum
    Cancellation of Self Imposed 280 HP Restriction?

But, beware, that the translation comes out in a funny language but better than getting confused with Greek. ;-)
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    despite all the techno gadgetry, the output of torque is still somewhat low. I'm not trying to nitpick, but it would have been nice to see this car withh 300 pounds torque as well or at the least 280. 260 pounds of torque just doesn't quite get the car up to snuff for me.
    I think robertsmx got the 3 of the seven articles there. They are here
    All 7 articles
    Scroll down the page to see them.

The rarest pictures of all are here
    Crash-test Picture, ACE, etc

Enjoy.
    Compared to its intended competition, 260 lb.-ft is plenty (There may be "hidden" 5-10 lb.-ft in this engine).
    STS: 252 lb.-ft
    GS300: 228 lb.-ft (new)
    530i: 214 lb.-ft
    E320: 231 lb.-ft
    A6/3.2: ~240 lb.-ft
    M35: 260-270 lb.-ft

A 3.5/V6 can get you only so much! For 300 lb.-ft or more, at least 4.0-liter engine would be needed. That said, this car should perform more like V8 (since it is geared short!).
    Thanks very much Robert for the magic key into that Japanese website (response.jp). Despite the wacky English translation, the clean, crisp photos needed none.

The car looked great on that beautifully groomed track with the treeline in the background.

I couldn't help but notice that some of these "prototype" cars had what looked a little like a molding strip running horizontally across the two side doors (driver and rear passenger) -- in other photos the strip looked a little like the carve out's in the doors on the new TL. Whatever it was, I liked it. I think that it adds some muscularity and more styling finesse to the car. I hope like heck that this detail survived the prototype phase and will materialize in the final car. Is that possible or am I just dreaming at this late date?
    robertsmx,
    A Japanese magazine claims, new RL at 100km/h (~62mph)
    Gear RPM
    2nd 5500
    3rd 3800
    4th 2500
    5th 1800

See Here
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Compared to its intended competition, 260 lb.-ft is plenty (There may be "hidden" 5-10 lb.-ft in this engine).
    STS: 252 lb.-ft"

But the STS does at least offer the option of a V8 - with TQ = 315.

- Ray
    Wondering what 'hidden' might mean in this context . . .
    2022 X3 M40i