Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I wouldn’t bet against you. :-)
  • acurafan1acurafan1 Member Posts: 4
    Legendman, thanks for your sound advice. Earlier today I located a dealer 50 miles away with an '04 RL (nighthawk black pearl/parchment) willing to heavily discount the price. Tomorrow I go to close the deal. I think I'll keep my '93 Legend because I view it as worth more than a trade would bring. Again, thanks for your help.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    The value of keeping that 93 and running it till it passes to its heavenly abode one fine day is incomparable... hold on to it.

ksso
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    Off topic:

The S2000 has always had special Bridgestone Potenza S-02 tires that were specifically designed for the car. I'm not sure what the new 2004 models have because the tire/wheel diameter increased.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    That's great news Acurafan! I'm sure you'll be very happy with the car.

I trust that you have checked here on Edmunds.com and Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) as to the actual invoice cost on the car.

For what its worth, I've also had good luck using Consumer Report's car pricing program. For $12 bucks they will let you know the dealers costs in great detail, and also inform you of any "spiffs" (salesman incentives), dealerhold back, or factory clearance discount programs, all of which could represent several thousand bucks off the car.

All of these will make for good bargaining chips. Speaking of which, it would probably be a good idea to find another 2004 RL car somewhere within driving distance, so if need be, you can casually point out during negotiations that ABC and XYZ dealerships also have other RL cars which are for sale at very competitive prices (which you've learned by calling their sales departments). Your "current" dealer won't want to lose you to another dealer!

Please let us know the price you finally agreed on for your 2004 RL. There are others like you looking for 2004s.
    Hi Legendman. I have a written quote for $37,400 with no destination charges. Tax, documentation fees and registration brought the total to $39,912. The key to the aggressive discounting is the fact that the factory gives a $3,500 credit back to the dealer on the car through 11/1 (discovered this on Edmunds)and they passed most of that savings to me as they lowered the invoice price. I placed a deposit with them via credit card and the specific vehicle is identified in the quote via VIN so hopefully all will go smoothly tomorrow. Will let you know. Thanks again.
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    Buy the 05, it is awsome and your family will be safer - it's in the dealers Oct14 - go Oct 30 at 6pm and they will deal.
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    Michelans
  • natenate Member Posts: 12
    I did further search and find out that Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico also comes in 245/50zr17 which is a summer performance tire. I personally hope that the car does come with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S since it is all season and has better snow traction than Pirelli and Dunlop. I wish they would use a 245/45r17 or 235/45r17 size since it would give a larger choice of tires. Although one could probably use the one closest to the original size, but wonder what it would do to the ride characterstics of the car with the smaller sidewall.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    What is the significance of the high compression ratio the new 05' RL offers? What are the benefits? Drawbacks?...Thanks
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "Not to be contrary, but I find that driving my wife's TL (auto) allows my brain to wander."

Same here. It's easier to see when I drive with my brother (19) or sister (16). In one of my family's AT cars they'll be resting their left elbow on the window sill, head on left hand. Looking like they're comfortably reclining while they drive. Put them in a MT car and the ride isn't as smooth, but the driver is clearly "into it."

I wish they at least offered the CHOICE to get a stickshift in a car like this.

shotgun: high compression ratio increases power but can increase knock or detonation, which generally leads to a higher-octane requirement. Others here will be able to get into more detail, but basically it's power for premium gas.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Hi Legendman, I joined ranks a little later on...1988 (when I came in the U.S). Never looked back, although I still need to do some 'line command' in Unix.
    BTW I just got My 2.5 GHtz delivered at work Friday! I have never seen anything as wicked fast!
    I just wish the new RL will turn out to be a similar bliss for my senses!!! :-)
    Yep, indeed is not the 'current word' now it is just 'conoscenti' adn it actually refers to people you know personally. The concept is expressed with the word 'esperto/i.
    Congratulations for your excellent knowledge.
    >I just got My 2.5 GHtz delivered at work Friday! I have never seen anything as wicked fast!<

Steve, that's awesome. Is that the one that's liquid cooled? How much memory is it packing? All ahead -- warp factor 10!

Looks like the new RL has some cutting edge stuff as well. I am eager to strap one on!
    >Ok so the specs for the V6-VCM-Hybrid Accord is announced and its hitting the market at the start of December.<

Ksso, or anyone: Any idea of when or if a hybrid will be ending up in an '05 or '06 RL?
  • samxsamx Member Posts: 2
    I just placed an order for a Redondo Red/Parchment (the only two items with choices, everything else is standard!) 2005 RL @ MSRP. Anyone else has experience in placing orders? Is MSRP the fair market value at this point? The dealer will not give a firm commitment on the delivery date (this is in the first batch of 10 he is getting). When should I expect to get it?

I am thinking about leasing this. Anyone has info on money factors and residual values for the 2005 RL and any other hidden costs with Honda leasing?
    The below is an excerpt of a conversation between an Acura salesman and a potential 05' RL buyer taken from another message board.

(...)When I expressed some concern about the car's expected performance given its relatively low torque (260) and high weight (nearly 4,000 pounds) (I am coming from a 2002 M3) he said that the car is fast, although not quite as quick as the TL (...)

Now, I can live with the RL maybe not being quite as fast as a TL in the 0-60 arena. However, I would fully expect it outperform a TL in any slalom type exercise and to significantly outpace it when it comes to top end performance. Your thoughts?
    SH-AWD, that's the answer you were looking for. On the road the Tl will be just gazing to the Rl tail!!
    I believe we are not fully appreciating what SH-AWD means in a real life scenario. My take is even the lowly Accord with SH-AWD would be a tough customer for the TL untill it will get the same treatment (and by then the RL will be in an enrtirely new ball-game, read V8).
    :-) temporarily reporting from Montreal
    >I placed a deposit with them via credit card and the specific vehicle is identified in the quote via VIN so hopefully all will go smoothly tomorrow. Will let you know. Thanks again.<

Hey Acurafan:

How did it go? Did you take delivery? If so, how do you like the car?

Legendman
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Does anyone have a list of the available exterior/interior colors? I hope the new RL offers more choices than the TL!
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Read my post #2206:
    Repost it here.

Desert Mist Metallic with Ebony ( Gold on TL)
    Desert Mist Metallic with Parchment
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Ebony ( Black on Everything)
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Parchment
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Blue ?)
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Taupe
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Gray on TSX)
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Taupe
    Redondo Red Pearl with Ebony ( Deep Red on TL)
    Redondo Red Pearl with Parchment
    Premium White Pearl with Ebony ( Pearl White on TSX)
    Premium White Pearl with Parchment
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Greenish Silver in PR Photo)
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Regular Silver in PR Photo)
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Blueish Silver on TSX)
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Taupe
    I just placed an order for a Redondo Red/Parchment (the only two items with choices, everything else is standard!) 2005 RL @ MSRP. Anyone else has experience in placing orders? Is MSRP the fair market value at this point? The dealer will not give a firm commitment on the delivery date (this is in the first batch of 10 he is getting). When should I expect to get it?

Yes, MSRP is the market value for the first couple months, I would say. My dealer has more than 10 on waiting list ($500 deposit). That is about his first month's supply. There probably would be some dealer-installed options.. back-up camera, aero kit, 18" wheels, etc.

You can expect it between Oct. 14 to Oct. 20 from what I have heard. I am #1 on the list.
    >There probably would be some dealer-installed options.. back-up camera, ... etc.<

Do we know for a fact that a back-up camera is available? If so, would this be Acura product ... connnected to the navi screen?

Any idea of price for such a feature?
    Hi Legendman. Closed the deal at the agreed upon price and it was a painless process. The Acura dealer I used was excellent. Drove the car and liked it very much. I know one of the knocks on the car was the power but it meets my needs. Waiting to get the funds to pay for the car and will prob pick it up later this week. Am going to keep my '93 Legend also until it starts costing me $. Interesting point though, I am getting email responses from numerous dealers stating that they have no inventory of '04 RL's so I got lucky timing-wise (along with the timing of your recommendation to expand my search of dealers). Thx again!
  • timetobuytimetobuy Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any info about the shade of the new interior color "taupe". Is it lighter than the "quartz" color on the TL, TSX, MDX ? I hope not. In a few photos I have seen with the new color it sometimes looks medium, but sometimes very light. It's hard to say for sure with the different photo angles, lighting, etc.

Also how do you think it looks with the dash and long stretch of brown wood ?
    The word "taupe" is French for "dark gray", but I'm not sure about the linguistic abilities of Acura! Would you please post some links to these photos of the Taupe interior? I only saw the Ebony and Parchment on acura.com and other sites. Thanks!
    >Does anyone have any info about the shade of the new interior color "taupe"<

I have taupe in the interior of my 1991 Legend LS. I think it's handsome. I love the color. It has gray in it, but saying that alone does not give it justice -- it has a hint of quartz I should think (as I envision that color). It is not so tan/light brown as say a 'saddle' interior, nor as light as 'parchment'.

It will wear better and not show dirt as easily as the two other colors I mention above.

I consider it to be a sophisticated color and I would venture to say that many would be very happy with it; though admittedly color is such a subjective and personal thing that we can never really know how others will react.

>Also how do you think it looks with the dash and long stretch of brown wood ?

I would have to see it in person, but I can tell you that my dark chocolate brown dashboard (which might appear almost black from a distance) goes extremely well with the taupe and the camphor wood. My guess is that it would be a tad darker than 'quartz'.

Without having seen any of the new cars in person, I am leaning toward the Champagne Mist. I would be a very happy camper to have a 'taupe' interior again, but it looks like it will have to be parchment or black. Black is awfully toasty out here in Southern California.
    From dictionary.com

Taupe: having a dusky brownish gray color

My guess is that it is the light brownish color you find in some TLs.

Back-up camera: My guess was based on what I know about Honda Pilot and Odyssey. On those models, back-up camera is a dealer-installed accessory. Yes, it works with the NAVI (but only those with newer versions). If this is a pattern, then Acura may also have this. At least, there would not be any technical difficulty. Pure speculation on my side.
    a) This one is probably taupe. It looks pretty light here, but the whole photo seems unnaturally white.
    http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2004/0920/rlinterior.jpg

There are a lot of interior pictures at this link:
    http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f42b15727870b0e- 475d5b1b533f71131&threadid=41952

b) Is this image among them taupe or parchment? http://www.acuraworld.com/~hafid/05RL/RLwider6.jpg
    It seems the whole photo is tinted though.

c) This is parchment, right?
    http://www.acuraworld.com/~hafid/05RL/RLwider8.jpg

d) Is this a black-and-white photo?http://www.acuraworld.com/~hafid/05RL/RLwider21.jpg
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Yeah, dusky brownish greyish color is a good description. i had it in my ex- 96 accord. It wears well with dirt and kids. Not sure i've seen it in leather though.

ksso
    These interior pics are probably taupe also:
    http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0409_2005acurarl/index1- - - - .html

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0409_2005acurarl/index2- - - - .html

The shots of the rear seat make the color look extra pale. Acura should call it SP (for "Super-Pale").
    >b) Is this image among them taupe or parchment? http://www.acuraworld.com/~hafid/05RL/RLwider6.jpg
    It seems the whole photo is tinted though.<

This is closest to Taupe as I know the color, though it seems a bit too light. Hard to tell the color accurately when there is not a consistent light source (color temperature) on it.

>c) This is parchment, right?
    http://www.acuraworld.com/~hafid/05RL/RLwider8.jpg<

That's Parchment in my book.
    >These interior pics are probably taupe also:
    http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0409_2005acurarl/index1- - - - .html<

Actually, the dash looks more like Taupe than do the seats, which are much more pale by comparison. "Taupe: having a dusky brownish gray color" - Ceric's dictionary definition works for me.

>The shots of the rear seat make the color look extra pale. Acura should call it SP (for "Super-Pale").<

Agreed! Those seats look nothing like my Taupe. They look more like an Ivory color. Could be the lighting, but they seem closer to the White scale than to a Gray.

Are we certain that the new interior colors that were posted a few pages back are indeed the only new RL interior colors available?
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Those made me think of Parchment leather seats with Taupe dash and door trim. Wouldn't it be great if Acura would have their web site finished on the 2005 RL download, they somehow keep us salivating "til the last dog is hung" to use an old quote from my grandfather. I have taupe in my 2000 TL and it is perfect. The new TL 2004 messed it up and I am really waiting to see and compare the Taupe and the Parchment interiors on the new RL in person.
    >Actually, the dash looks more like Taupe than do the seats, which are much more pale by comparison. "Taupe: having a dusky brownish gray color" - Ceric's dictionary definition works for me.<

To be more precise, it wasn't the dash that was Taupe, I should have said it was the glovebox and knee level panels over on the driver side.

Yes, it sure would be nice if Acura would finish their website. Are they waiting until mid-October? Maybe they don't want to cannibalize the sales of the existing '04 RL models still in dealer inventory.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I know that Acura has made a business decision and that our personal need to satisfy our curiosity isn't part of its plan. However, as the fervor on this thread amply demonstrates, cars aren't simply transportation to anyone who has posted here. Acura has taken an uncharacteristic nine years to refresh the RL and the company knows full well the role that the RL plays in the lives of those who have expressed interest nationwide. Car manufacturers understand the role that cars play in our lives, for they're the ones that have successfully launched their ENTHUSIASM VIRUS(for which there is no Norton defense)over the years and have hooked each and every one of us. How intent we've been, considering HOW "taupe" is taupe?.....will there be a strip of chrome molding or is that an illusion?.......will there be a back-up camera? We've speculated about every aspect of this RL's performance and structure bcause we love what lies in prospect!!
    So, then, at the very least, why has Acura not understood our mutual need? Why has the website been so selfishly incomplete at this late date? Why are there no brochures available for the faithful? Why the "aural null?" Total silence. Why, after nine years, is a further extension of time needed to satisfy Acura's long- delayed plan? What is so crucial that denial of reasonable information has become so stubborn...so dilatory? My curiosity has evolved to become hunger, followed by frustration and now borders on resentment. We need a "meal," not just the aroma of food cooking!
    A briliant and passionate post, Acuraphile. Well done!
    Yes, a brilliant post indeed! Acura better get with the program and start supporting their loyal followers/customers at this stage of the game by being a little more forthright and free with 05' Rl information. I mean it wouldn't hurt to get some more definitive information on options, configurations, and colors in order for us to solidify our purchasing plans!
    "...and free with 05' Rl information."
    How about "... and free with 05' RL." :-)
    I stand corrected! I released my caps lock key prematurely - Thanks 1violinist.
    Haaaa...I really appreciate the good nature of you guys as a whole...Shotgun doesn't even mind a petty correction from a picky musician and for the most part we who hunger for any more information to be gleaned from any credible source on the new RL just keep on hanging in there. Kinda reminds me of my youth and waiting for that first 2 wheel bike. It finally came and my brothers and I were absolutely estatic and the wait was worth it.... ;)
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I just read somewhere that RL doesn't have adaptive cruise. OUCH!
    correction......[ecstatic]
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>I just read somewhere that RL doesn't have adaptive cruise. OUCH!

I always thought I'd like that too. However, two different friends have it and they both hate it. Every time someone changes lanes too closely in front of them (a common occurrence in metropolitan traffic), they say it feels like the brakes being slammed on.
    technology that automatically adjusts vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance between vehicles....and Acura doesn't have it? HMMMMMM
    inclined to agree with your friends...Good Reply!
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    I was told today that I have a White Peral with a 9/21 (today) built date. I wonder how long it takes to built and the how long is the ship to US?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Acura doesn't, but Honda has it, and offers in Japanese Accord and Inspire (besides a galore of other things). Actually, Acura showcased it with 1998 Acura TL-X concept but hasn't offered it yet.

OTOH, Acura is offering different kind of technologies stuffed in this RL.
    "Shotgun doesn't even mind a petty correction from a picky musician..."

Hey, jjacura! I'm sure there's a compliment there somewhere! I didn't mean to correct Shotgun's typing style; I meant to say "Acura should be free with 05' RL", meaning to give away some free RL's for us enthusiasts in this forum!!! That's why I put a smilie after :-)
    Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning are two of the new technologies that I definitely can do without. I enjoy driving and rarely use my cruise control at all. If I feel sleepy, I wouldn't be driving to begin with. In my opinion, there are legal implications to both technologies. Maybe that is why Acura choose to do without them in RLs.