Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I have used car-part.com successfully. You can search by make, model year and part. You can also search by region. It will list salvage yards that have the part you need. Prices vary greatly so look over them and call to see what they have and bargain. Some will list the color and you should be able to get a match. I did that with a Legend I knocked a side mirror off of. Just got the new one in the same color and put it on slick as anything.
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    Yes, drove one and had my name on it but switched to Redondo Red. The silver is beautiful and if the one I had my hands on had oparchment interior it would be in my driveway right now. For your info it's more a blue silver than silver - For sure not run of the mill and a real looker.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Perhaps that discussion deserves its own thread, and definitely whenever Acura announces it.

And I believe S60 is a compact sedan. TL interior is about the same size as 2005 Audi A6 & Mercedes E-class, and slightly smaller than RL (listed at 99.1 cu ft).
  • 9482494824 Member Posts: 8
    Are you sure it was the Celestial Silver and not the Meteor Silver Metallic? The Meteor Silver has an unusual blue tint.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Meteor Silver should be more accurately renamed Light Blue or Water Blue! Even the pics of this color in the brochure are misleading -- the car looks like silver, where in reality it's more blue. Well, nothing like seeing the real thing! :-)
  • rl05pearlrl05pearl Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all for the great info on this board prior to me test driving and buying the RL last Sunday.

The car is great so far; but, I'm still playing with all the gadgets. Took is out for a business trip to San Diego and so far logged about 500+ miles on it. I got a chance to drive in heavy rain and car handled nicely at about 80-85 mph. I'm really enjoying the quite cabin coupled with the great sound system with XM radio, the free DVD-Audio disk and MP3 create by my niece with a list of my favorite tunes. The nav system with voice activation is fairly easy to use with a female voice that reminds me about 1 mile away prior to exiting on the freeway and about 1/4 mile on local. I've been zooming out on the nav screen to see the live traffic updates prior to hitting the road to avoid heavy congestion. So far, it seem to be a valuable tool as there are many freeway options that I can take while traveling from work to home.

Since the sky clear up on the weekends, I just got my first car wash to keep it sparkling again.

Thanks again to all for great discussions!
  • rlloverrllover Member Posts: 3
    Well I went to the DLR Ellicott City MD. Took out the new RL for a spin and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I LOVED the interior of the new RL as well as the upgrade in HP. BUT is it I or has anyone else noted that the ride seemed to be a little harsh. I have a 2001 RL and my father has a 1999 and I kept thinking to myself that the new RL lacks the floaty feel that the prior RL's had and the wind/road noise was a lot more apparent than in the 01. I asked the sales guy about it and he turned on some kind of system that helps to eliminate the road noise. He stated that this car is supposed to be even quieter than the previous models but I am almost positive that it is not. Has anyone else experienced this or is it apart of my imagination?? Thank you
  • rlloverrllover Member Posts: 3
    By the way I too loved all of the gadgets. Made my 01 feel somewhat ancient.
    I'm not sure what you meant by "turned on some system". Could you elaborate. There is system to be turned on.
  • leonardoleonardo Member Posts: 4
    I've read on other forums that some people really like lakeshore silver. Has anyone seen this color in person? Can someone point me to some pictures?

Thanks
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I ordered my RL in Lakeshore Silver with taupe interior. It's splendid! I don't know why it's referred to as silver, however. It bears no resemblance to the other two silver choices; they are considerably lighter. I wish that I could describe it adequately but the color is elusive; not grey, not silver, but beautiful! One of the pictures in the brochure is accurate.
    Sorry I can't be of further help. To my knowledge, no one on the thread has posted a picture of the Lakeshore Silver.
    I would describe Lakeshore Silver as kind of brownish grey with a hint of "purple" undertone! In the sun it's brighter, in the shade it's darker! I guess Acuraphile used the right word --"elusive"!
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I test drove the car yesterday and was also disappointed. The horsepower (300HP) is lacking or in this case the torque is lacking. Floored it on the local road and on the highway and the engine did not respond the way that the Audi A6 (4.2L) did which I test drove the day before. Handling was also subpar to the Audi. It did have a more quite, sedate and floaty feel to it. It was kinda boring to drive. It was definitely not what I expected with all the hype about the car being more sporty than luxury per the threads in this forum.

As for the interior, it is very nice but lacking in added wood trim on the middle console. In my opinion,it only looks good in the black interior because the light interior made the center console stand out and look cheap. There is no way an adult can ride comfortably in the middle back seat. I am 5' 10" and my head was up against the roof. BTW, Audi was the same. It is only a 4 passenger vehicle.

The only selling point was the price, since it had everything on it and some dealer added accessories such as color mud guards, spoiler (must have since it looks great with it than without), wood stearing wheel and shift nob all added up to another $2000. Making the price at $52,000. This particular dealer is adding this to all their RLs unless you ordered one without.

The dealer said MSRP, no negotiations, even though they had 3 on the lot unsold. Go figure. I think the price will drop very quickly within the next 3-6 months. I was nothing like the MDX when it debut, demand was much greater.

JMHO
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Because we will not order the car until we see all of the colors in person, I have now added the Lakeshore Silver to our Must See list...the brochure doesn't seem to do it justice but there is something about it that is very interesting and worth checking out on a sunny day! Maybe then the "elusiveness" will go away. We have seen the nighthawk black, the carbon grey, the blue pearl, and the Meteor silver.
    On our test drive the RL had sufficient torque for me and I didn't come close to pushing the peddle to the floor. I also thought if it's torque a man wants then why stop at Audi A6.....but thats just my impression.
  • akuo1akuo1 Member Posts: 5
    Interesting to see a no-so-good testdrive comment, especially on the handling/ride where most testers & magazines have reved about it.

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have any copy for testdrive. You'll drive it only after you have put in deposit and your car has arrived.

The demand is not at the level of MDX's rookie year according to the local dealer.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    "rllover" - ride is too harsh and not "floaty" enough;
    "low ball" - it's "floaty and sedate."

Must be like the "sleep number bed" advertised on TV. Everyone has their own preferences.

I'll make up my own mind, including the colors (I'm color-blind, BTW). I finally got the brochure in today's mail. Private viewing set for 11/01, with hors d'ouvers, cocktauls, and valet parking.

Oh, when I RSVPed, the receptionist haughtily inquired: "OH, BY WHOM WERE YOU INVITED?" And I'm a current RL owner!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    My totally unscientific prediction is that at the end of the day, the RL's sales numbers will disappoint. It's nice, don't misunderstand me, but it somehow doesn't incite that "must have" reaction. It's full of computer chips and gadgets, but it doesn't have knock-out styling and power. And in Canada, the price will be a major factor. If I'm coughing up $70K+, I'll be cross-shopping a lot of Audi, MB and BMW, and even Lexus models priced up to about $80K, which will include quite a few tempting alternatives. I'm not saying the others are better values, but at this price stratosphere, value may not be top priority.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Prophet...funny, I thought the same thing after reading those successive posts...to each his own!

Robertsmx...I don't believe anyone answered that question re: road noise and "Is there a system to be turned on..."

I am not sure of the answer but can offer this...on Motorweek I saw a review of the Honda Odyssey. There is "white noise" emitted through the speakers on the Odyssey to reduce wind noise...perhaps same deal on RL???
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "There is "white noise" emitted through the speakers on the Odyssey to reduce wind noise...perhaps same deal on RL??"

That's the idea, but I'm told the system counteracts noise even when the radio is turned off. That still leaves the question of which switch the salesperson toggled.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Yeah, went back and re read the original post..."turned on" some sort of system... I would be surprised one would have to take an active measure to reduce perceived road noise. I wonder if that poster misunderstood what the salesman was saying/doing?

Hopefully rllover will come back and provide clarification...
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    With all the computer chips and new technology in the RL, I wonder about its reliability, at least for the first 12-18 months. Does Acura provide free maintenance for the first 3/4 years like BMW and Audi? If not, there may be additional costs involved to cover the new tech's teething problems.
    should be covered under the manufacturer's basic four year/50K miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, wouldn't you think?

Once again, I reiterate: the "free" maintenance for the first 3-4 years on some cars isn't really "free." It's factored into the price of the car.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Hi,
    let me preface my rebuttal to your arguments by saying I generally agree that a good dose of skepticism is very healthy.
    Thats said let me tell youo why those reasoning are partially at fault IMO.
    Just following the common sense that Honda/Acura have a reputation for reliability to uphold, and the lack of any desperate situation that would have them push something rush in the market (may be you should have some worries should a Ford or similarly struggling brand be the candidate), does genreally lead me to believe that the innovation introduced in the RL is going to be totaly unobstructive of your enjoying this car.
    Let me up the ante with a series of fact/factoids that have come to the light as the RL release went forward.

A) many technologies represent evolutionary upgrades to technologies already available on other models previously released and not showing any sign of 'intrusion' in the vehicle reliability factor.

B) SH-AWD falls somewhere in between a totally innovative feature and evolutionary aspects (see talk on tranny of Prelude). Moreover, the R&D phase for SH-AWD has been quoted (Honda/acura sourcecs) to have taken 15 years, more than adequate time to completely troubleshoot problems of any kind.

So I have no doubt in my mind that this offering (namely the RL) is going to follow suit with the global Honda/Acura tradition.
    Let me also share the following:
    The stated time for the SH-AWD tranny is IMO a good meter to judge what happens in a strong automaker R&D.

1) Innovation is calcualted on bases of imporoved performance/reliability/efficacy/safety
    2) Timing to market is based on ROI/marketability.

Well, I hope I have evinced some obvious consideration that may help some of you to overcome such reliability fears, if not my apologies for posting another lenghty opionion and please forward your own back.

Truly,

Steve
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    It's kind of odd that you can get a 8 way power passenger seat on the MDX Touring, which is $10,000 less, but cannot on an RL.

Also nice would have been Intellicruise and cooling seats.

Well, I guess on a fully optioned car like the RL, they have to leave some things out to "upgrade" the car over the years.
    Steve:

A great, specific deconstruction!

Why, after nine redundant model/years, would Acura toss a coin and submit an RL unfaithful to its tradition of reliability? It would not! There are no absolutes in this world and anything complex can fall prey to human error. However, based upon trailing years, the odds, and gods, are in favor of continued outstanding construction and reliability. I just glanced at my maintenance records: my '96 RL, with 105K on the Odo, is virtually intact since purchase. I replaced an oxygen sensor, upper ball joint and master brake cylinder in my nine year ownership! I still have the original exhaust system, as well, a feat in itself.

If one considers the outrageous frequency- of- repair records of almost every other marque, save Lexus, why struggle with reliability hypotheticals when Acura has shone so brightly in this area?

Only a pessimist/cynic would require a new litmus test.
    Yes, it is the same feature (ANC) that exists in Odyssey (w/VCM) and will be offered in Accord Hybrid. The only difference is that RL is using ANC without having VCM incorporated into its engine.

However, there is no switch to activate or deactivate ANC. It runs continuously through audio speakers, even when the audio system is off.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Acuraphile - What a brilliant and elegant post! You are indeed correct in stating that Acura has earned it's stripes when it comes to quality/reliability - its the other players in the automotive realm who have something to prove...
    Unlike Audi/BMW and MB, Honda isn’t very aggressive in showcasing its newest technologies, globally, the moment it is ready. Much of the features that RL gets have existed in some form for at least couple of years in production cars in the Japanese market. Even now, we get short changed on certain things, and they will eventually trickle down for sure as MMC upgrade.

Among automakers, Honda and Toyota would be the last for me to worry about technological issues.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Lexus isn't the only other marque that has a good reliability reputation. Infiniti usually gets better reliability ratings than Acura.

It's basically a Japanese versus non-Japanese divide when it comes to reliability among the luxury brands.
    "It's basically a Japanese versus non-Japanese divide when it comes to reliability among the luxury brands."

Overall, I think the Asian imports do better, but I am impressed with what Cadillac has done in recent years. Their revival has been more than sheetmetal deep. Recent products off their lines have been a close match for the imports.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you bought an RL and are willing to speak to a newspaper reporter about your car, particularly the high-tech options, please contact [email protected] ASAP!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Acuraphile - What a brilliant and elegant post! You are indeed correct in stating that Acura has earned it's stripes when it comes to quality/reliability - its the other players in the automotive realm who have something to prove...
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .I saw one today on the interstate. Hmmm. Looks a lot like a Honda Accord.

Depending on your point of view that is either a good thing or a bit of a disappoint. . .

I'm in the latter camp.

Still worth the drive, tho, I'm thinking!
    Which Accord?
    I can understand why some think the general body shape might resemble the current Accord. I don't see any resemblance in the sheetmetal, though. I think the RL looks more like the first generation Aurora, myself. It has that same "wedgy" front end, and similar lines on the hood.

JM2C
    I'm sure if you look closely at any car, you'll find some resemblance to a few others. Gone are the days when you saw a car 500 feet away and immediately recognized its make and model! :-)
    The new RL looks more like old RL with more angular/rounded approach to me. A lot of people will wish the Accord looked like the new RL. Even the roof line is different.

• kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for your comments. I know the Japanese have excellent reliability track records (I have a trouble-free Lexus RX300), but I was just a little bit worried because of all the hype on brand new technologies.

I forgot that the Japanese manufacturers incorporate the latest technologies into their domestic cars first -- and in the Japanese market, there better not be any big problems or the customers will require the manufacturers' executives to commit hari kiri!
    I know. I think there was something about the huge grills on classic cars that functioned like a billboard for each manufacturer. With modern aerodynamics taking it's toll, the advertising space is limited.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    Our experience with Acura reliability is associated with our 1992 Acura Legend -- that we plan to give to a member of our family as soon as our 2005 RL (White with an Ebony interior) is delivered. Since 1992 we replaced the timing belt, a radiator, and miscellaneous seals in addition to routine items -- and we have been exceptionally pleased with our maintenance costs.
    We drove the new version on two different occassions...and today I pushed the car into some very sharp turns at a good rate of speed -- and I can only tell you that it was remarkable how well the RL held it's own without even suggesting that it couldn't handle the forces impinging on it. There wasn't much body lean at all and the ride was secure - in this outstanding auto (something I felt was very pronounced when we drove a Lexus 330ES last year on a similar drive). Further, the brakes are superb and there was plenty of power, at least for our taste. I suspect that we will have some difficulty mastering all the technology given that we are just getting the hang of our VCR ... but at least there is hope..... and Acura's well deserved reputation for reliability (plus our personal experience) and the performance of this outstanding vehicle provides the confidence necessary for us to make such a purchase.
    Some resemblence between the RL and Accord is not surprising. I'm not confused between the two. I don't care for the rear-end treatment of the Accord, but that doesn't stop me from recommending its purchase.

Acuraphile, my '96 RL has a similar record as yours. 102K miles; one oxygen sensor replaced; radiator replaced; rear power window motors replaced. No other issues. I consider the water pump and timing belt as normal service items.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "we are just getting the hang of our VCR ..."

larry, what is a VCR? :)
    Varmint:

On cars whose design intention has little to do with achieving "low-six" 0-60 plaudits, what IS the net effect of the Cd? Those big distinctive grills of the past were not only big, but truly distinctive and encouraged aesthetic competition. The current preoccupation with ovid styling and elevated rear ends, passively duplicated by most marques, has created a stultifying sameness that makes styling comparisons academic, just about.
    Why should the RL even be THOUGHT to resemble an Accord? The answer: because there IS commonality enough to provoke that somewhat pejorative comment. I agree that it can't pass for an Accord, but I still understand the genesis of Mark's comment.
    I'm not suggesting that it would be in the best interest of any manufacturer to suddenly present the "face" of a 1928 Packard but, oh, one can dream! My dad didn't have to dream. THAT was his ride!
    Funny I saw more Accord in the old "upright" RL than I do now, especially from the rear. Perhaps, we weren't passionate enough about the old RL.

Acuraphile, but I'm not sure if old things don't get older quickly. Perhaps a reason, retro styling comes and goes. I do admit though, that Acura should have followed the design principles of TSX and TL more into the new RL.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Chuckle, never cared for the VCR'S for ease of operation, but you know...with Tebo or with Time Warner's DVR recording anything at any time or instant replaying at any time is so easy it is hard to believe we struggled with those VCR's for so long.

Now we even burn audio DVD'S to enjoy on our Acura/Bose 10 speaker surround-sound RL system some day. (Can't wait to hear those!)
  • 9482494824 Member Posts: 8
    My Celestial Silver/taupe interior has arrived at the dealership. I get my first look tomorrow. If it passes muster, should I opt for the 18" wheels?
  • emaildbkemaildbk Member Posts: 1
    I've had mine for about a week. I've owned the Porsche 928, a a lexus 430, a Jaguar XKR, and a Mercedes 500 SL 2001.

Frankly this is the best car I have ever owned. I live in the mountains and I can tell you the The car handles like it's on tracks! You simply can't lose it a dry road. A BMW M5 although fast could not stay with me on the curves. So much for $80,000 German Cars. The sound system is amazing, the Navigation is a wonder and easy to use, the keyless entry and start are a great convenience. The seats are comfortable and the interior looks like a jet! The body is sleek if not high style but I'll trade that for the afformentioned any day.

Put it all together and it's a blast to drive while you listen to your 5.1 Surround DVD in complete comfort and quiet (except for the engine tuned deep throttle)and talk on you hands free blue tooth phone and shift with your paddle shifters!!!!!

Stop your whining. This is a helluva car!
    Just buy the Audi ............
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    #3012 of 3012 mark ...... by prophet2 Oct 27, 2004 (12:56 am)

Just buy the Audi ............

Wow, that is a big statement??? Did you buy an Audi? If so what made the choice for you? I am caught between the Audi A6 and Acura RL.......
    No, I didn't buy an Audi. I'm looking at the '05 RL as I currently own a '96 RL.

Mark's the guy who seems "critical" of the RL (e.g. saying it looks like the Accord) and seems to prefer the European marquees (BMW, Audi). It's evident everytime he puts his $0.02 in.

So, I say to him: "Just buy the Audi" and stop trying to "rain on our parade."