Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    Try this one: www.bloomington-acura.com

Lynnminny.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Does anyone with a new '05 RL have any feedback on the real time traffic info? How well does it work and how does it actually work ie: what specifically does the system tell you? Is there a subscription charge at all? It sounds like a fantastic feature but curious if it works well.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Finally! The weather held out (it seemed to be raining everywhere else), the appetizers and drinks were fine for us "freeloaders," and they had a number of RLs for test drives. Colors on view were Black, Opulent Blue, White (dolled-up with a tire/rim package, wood steering wheel, trunk lid spoiler), and Lakeshore Silver, which is the one I tested.

The driver's seat fit like a glove. With it set for my specs (5'10", 207), I went to the back seat and found it still roomy enough for me. I agree that a normal adult will find the middle seat position tight on headroom and the floor hump makes it a seat for short runs only. Two in the back will find it comfortable.

Lots of power - I didn't feel it being "slow" or hesitant off the line. The ride is firmer than my '96 RL, but smoother than an Accord. Handling was precise and confidence-inspiring. OTOH, I didn't really "push it" around corners.

Overall, a very "balanced" vehicle.

MSRP is $48,165 + transportation. ADM due to vehicle's "short supply" is $4995, although the dolled-up white RL showed $3995 ADM.

There were two visual displays comparing the RL against the MB E320 and the BMW 530i. One comp was the 13.0 cubic feet trunk space of the RL vs. the 14.0 feet of the MB and BMW. Despite the extra 1.0 ft., the photos showed a carton which fit comfortably in the RL could NOT be put in the trunks of either Teuton - lower height? I was assured that it was the same carton and NOT "trick photography."

My take is that whenever I need to transport a lot of cargo or more than four people, I use my Odyssey .......
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Is there a subscription charge at all?"

The first year is paid for by Acura, after that there should be subscription fees for NaviTraffic and XM Radio.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Do not get a C55, its handling and breaks are behind M3 and S4. Also, C/D did a comparison test and the break fades too soon, which is not a very good sign. Get a M3 or S4 instead. C55 is very good at straight line acceleration because of the engine. The joke part is it would not turn when you need to:-) However, I personally would until 2006 for the 400hps M3.

Hope this help.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    My son drives an M3 and knows his dealer's service manager extremely well! He bought an Acura Integra GSR after college and never had a bit of trouble with it for 6 years, sold it and bought the M3 about 4 years ago. The M3 is nice to look at...that's about it! We expect to see him come back to Acura!
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    A-Spec package announced today at SEMA.

Check out Hondanews.com article
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    The A-Spec package does nothing in terms of improving the appearance of the car. In fact, I think the side lower lips made the car look dated like the previous generation Nissan Maximas.

If you really need a boyish looking car, you can always get the current Lexus GS.
    The 18" alloy wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires are an addition that sparks the look and it would be interesting to hear from one of our engineers on the effect it might have on the ride.
  • vince11vince11 Member Posts: 11
    I may have the opportunity to buy a 2005 RL, with approximately 1000 miles. The couple has decided they need more room and they wish to sell their new RL. I have addressed this to you, after reading your posts regarding buying new cars at a discount. I would appreciate your thoughts as what the price should be, or any other advise you might have. Of course other opinions and thoughts are welcome. Thanks
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    For what it's worth I was just thinking if I sold my rl what would I want for it .In order to move it fast and not lose my shirt I'd have to ask between 50k and 49k total . Now I have 1345 miles so Id have to say 49k would be good. You'd be saving tax etc. you won't find one any cheaper at a dealer and you wouldn't have to wait for one to come in either.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    He'll have to accept whatever color it is.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    Also, in most states, you pay tax when you register the car, so you don't save tax. What it's worth would be a good question for "Real World Trade-in Values" here on Edmunds.
    josheel...hi...I am one of those conservatives out there whom enjoys buying a new car every few years so when I read your posts and notice that you said you purchased 2 RL's and an MDX in the last 15 months and would sell the most recent RL it becomes interesting to me.,,also the RL you just purchased listed out at over $54,000 as witnessed by us in another forum but you said you paid $51,000 for it. You said the dealer was good to you. You could not have had this car for over a couple weeks. What gives?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "....if I sold my rl what would I want for it".

I thought it was just a hypothetical question that josheel was asking himself.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    JJ,
     Nothing gives! I really don't care what anyone else pay's for the car.I know what I paid for them and I was justing thinking about what I would sell my car for if I wanted to move it very fast.I happened to like my RL so I'll probably keep it for a while.I can't believe everyone seems to have a problem with what I paid for my car.Anyway I was just giving the other person my thought on what would be a good price at this time in the market.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    It seems that we are in some plateau state here...in that recently no one seems to be writing about their experiences either with test driving the RL'05 or their experiences after delivery. Perhaps...the second wave of information here..will occur as the second wave of deliveries hits the dealers. To those, including myself, who are awaiting delivery... I wish us all good luck... On another note, I read some of the recent posts regarding Car & Driver's (December issue) review of the RL'05....(which sounds fantastic) but here on the east cost... I can only find the November issue at the local newstands. Where did those of you with the December issue in hand... find it?
    Thanks.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I can only find the November issue at the local newstands. Where did those of you with the December issue in hand... find it?
    I used to subscribed to C&D. If you were a subscriber, you get the new issue one or two weeks earlier before it shows up on the stand. Usually, C&D's Dec issue shows up on the stand between 5th to 10th of Nov. However, you, as a subscriber, could get it around 1st of Nov. or even earlier. This is intended to encourage subscription rather than buying from the stand.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Yours is a unique situation. I have never purchased a car that has so few miles on it.

First question, will you be paying cash or financing? If you will be financing, you may have to pay a higher rate because you are buying a "used" car. So, whatever incremental increase there would be I would factor into the purchase price.

Second. Do you like the color? Do you care?

As to what a fair price is, it's hard to say. Right now demand appears high, and you may have others bidding for the same car.

Just to pick a number out of the air, I would say that I would want to save in total, at least $4,000- $5,000. But that's just me. You will get dozens of different opinions here on this forum.

Why not call a dealer and ask what the value of a hypothetical car would be after it drove off the lot and had a mere 1,000 miles on it?

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Acura sold 1310 RLs in October.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Honda Legend and Nissan Fuga (250GT & 350GT) are both released in Japan mid Oct. Within two weeks, Nissan sold 6500 units of Fuga. Honda sold 1500 units. Granted, 250GT is at a lower price point. No separate data on 250GT and 350GT available to me. 250GT is driven by 2.5L V6 with 210hp. 350GT would be our Infiniti M35. M45 is not yet released in Japan. It would be announced simultaneously in Japan and US in Feb/March 2005.

1310 units of RLs are mostly pre-sold, I believe. I am sure Nov's sales would be even better to digest the waiting list. March 2005 would be a real test when Infiniti M and Lexus GS come out together. Right now, RL is only facing Audi A6.
    It sounds like there are still some problems that need to be worked out on the 05 RL. Just browsing on another forum, I heard about the following...

Verizon bluetooth phone isn't fully compatible with the 05 RL. Currently in the works to fix this problem.

SH-AWD locking up.

XM TrafficNAV randomly stopped working and XM claims its not a problem on their side. (DC Metro area)

The XM and Bluetooth problem isn't too bad, but the SH-AWD locking up is disturbing.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    It sounds like there are still some problems that need to be worked out on the 05 RL. Just browsing on another forum, I heard about the following...
    SH-AWD locking up.

I was hoping that you would inform us about that other forum and message number regarding the 05 RL problem of the SH-AWD locking up...

Have any others been aware of or experienced the problem first hand..?
    Unfortunately, I can't list the other forum on this Edmunds site. I got a warning message from the host the last time I did this.

If you search Google for other Acura forums, you may be able to find this. There are other RL forums that are very good in terms of finding out real RL owner experiences.

If there is a technical service bulletin for the locking up, I'll be sure to post it here.
  • algoodmanalgoodman Member Posts: 21
    The person who said that XM TrafficNaV stopped working came back and said he had inadvertently turned it off by turning off the Traffic icon. He said that once he turned it on the problem went away.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>Verizon bluetooth phone isn't fully compatible with the 05 RL. Currently in the works to fix this problem.

My understanding is that there will be no fix. Verizon required Motorola to disable certain features that would make it totally compatible with the RL and they did it because they intend to charge extra for those features. As I understand it, if you buy the Motorola from any other wireless service, it will work fine, but not from Verizon. Unfortunately, Verizon is the best overall service for me, so I guess I'm just going to tolerate not having full functionality.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I'm 24 years old(turning 25 years old soon) I have an 2002 Acura CL with 22,800 miles on it and problem free so I am a little bit younger than the average RL buyer so here is my take.

Exterior Styling: I defintely dig the 05 RL. It has more of a distintinct appearence than the previous RL. The 05 RL may not look better than A8 but to me looks better than the 5 Series. I did like the previous RL styling(99-04) but it was looking a little dated of late.

Interior: From what I have seen pretty good except for the fake wood. Whats up with that?

50K price tag is definately less than the German Competition but when Acura annonced the 50K price tag I was shocked. I was thinking they would price it at 45K.

In Conclusion: I think Acura wins out here based on reliability and value. The new 5 Series the I-Drive is a diasaster and to me the exterior of the 5 is overstyled. The A8: this maybe the one to beat with classic exterior styling, and state of the art interior but Audi's reliability record is not that good. What competes from Lexus with the RL anyway? Is it the GS or the LS?
    "Interior: From what I have seen pretty good except for the fake wood. Whats up with that?"

The RL uses real wood just like in the previous generation RL. Its the only Acura model that uses real wood.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The upcoming GS300 AWD will compete with the RL. The A8 is way above the RL's class. The direct competition is A6 3.2 Quattro.
    "Unfortunately, I can't list the other forum on this Edmunds site. I got a warning message from the host the last time I did this."..1943973

This problem with the locking of the SH-AWD is hopefully very isolated! It's also understandable why Edmunds would not want the other forum mentioned but there must be some way to at least get the whole story out to us. (like cut and paste maybe)
  • monet5monet5 Member Posts: 32
    Don't forget besides the GS300 AWD coming the Infiniti M35/45 (AWD on 35) and Chrysler 300C AWD are arriving in Feb-Mar timeframe. In 4-5 months the market for AWD Sedans in the $40-$50K range will have no shortage of selections. I also read that BMW is coming out next year with a 5 series AWD (ex: 530ix), but I'm not certain about that.

If you can wait for 4 months its might help. The Audi A6, Cadi STS and Acura will have time to settle down and the next cars (Infiniti and Lexus) will hit the market. Deals will be had.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    I just took delivery on my '05 RL last night, and am quite pleased... light years ahead of my '02 RL. Anyway, I am plodding my way through the various set-ups and have a question about the CD/DVD player display screen. The manual shows picture diagrams of the CD player showing each CD title as well as the titles of each track on the screen. Isn't the CD player supposed to extract title information from CD's and DVD-A's and display it whilst playing? The sales guy (still trying to learn the RL systems... I seem to know more about the car than he does) said they think it will only display "when the cd is recorded in MP3 format," which doesn't sound right to me. Any new RL owners (or technically brilliant minds) have an answer to this? TIA.
    The official response I got from Verizon regarding their Bluetooth phone and Acura was:

"At present, the Motorola T710 phone Bluetooth technology and the Acura RL are being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Currently, we are unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met."
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    RE: Verison and Bluetooth - with combining of Cingular and AT&T networks (probably 6 months) Verison may have a real challenge to their top spot. I just got a Sony/Ericsson T616 because others in my office are using Bluetooth in the LS430 without problem. Maybe a couple of months from now you can switch and get advantage of AT&T/Cingular network and a phone that works a little better....
  • olneymdolneymd Member Posts: 23
    I've tried all of the formats and the CD i burned (of MP3's) shows the titles and artist.

But amazingly, the expensive DVD-Audio disk shows nothing. Go figure.

Good luck with your car.

PS - to the other posting regarding Bluetooth and Verizon. I had the Verizon Motorola V710, which did work handsfree with the RL. Automatically linked when you got into the car. Unfortunately, the V710's camera sucks, and the phone was recalled.

So, as of today, you can not buy a Bluetooth enabled Verizon phone to work with the RL.
    It's out now. Picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble.
    This test drive report is excellant.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    I haven't tried the MP3 CD yet but will give it a try. My experience is the same on the DVD-A in that no information is displayed, which is pretty amazing if MP3's burned on to a CD do display information.

The Motorola v710 is again available at VZW's website and perhaps at their stores again. I have had this phone paired to my 05 RL for about 3 weeks without problems. Receive and send calls using the RL phone buttons on the steering wheel and the overhead microphone. The only limitation is that the phone numbers saved in the phone do not automatically transfer to the RL. Pretty easy to add the names/numbers to the RL memory.

The V710 camera was apparently off center on some units and that was corrected in the few affected units; it had nothing to do with the quality of the camera. I have no problems with the quality of the camera given the fact that it is an accessory to a cell phone and not a standalone digital camera. The RL, V710 and VZW combination can't be beat, at least in my experience. They are all winners.
    The T710 Bluetooth Verizon phone will pair with the RL for normal phone use. However it is currently incompatible with the data transfer mode of diagnostic information from the RL to the dealer and return.
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    I haven't experienced any problems with my RL and I picked it up on October 19th. l943973],I would be careful saying that there are problems with a particular item until you've seen many people confirming one person's opinion and hopefully this would be confirmed by "actual" owners of the vehicle.

The gentleman that mentioned XM Nav had chalked his problem up to user error by the 2nd of Novemeber, 48 hours before your most recent post.

The bluetooth connectivity relates to each phone/service provider and has little to do with the Acura or the RL.

SH-AWD locking up...I have no idea about this one, all I can tell you is WOW, what a car I"m amazed with the ride.

For those that haven't had the opportunity to drive an RL, believe me, it stacks up extremely well with any car in this segment.
  • meitaromeitaro Member Posts: 5
    I am in contact with many new Legend users here in Tokyo but SH-AWD locking up problem is never reported here. What I know is the delivery is somewhat delayed because of the steering noise issue, which I have heard fully resolved.

I have test drove the new Legend on three occasions and am very much impressed. At a narrow closed circuit the car showed amazing ability to trace the intended line.
  • aclcaclc Member Posts: 20
    I agree with readyformyrl. I picked up my RL on October 20th and also have had NO problems with my car.

The car handles the road extremely well...I drove in the rain today and the car performed beyond my expectations.

The voice controls are outstanding. There is very little need to remove your hands from the steering wheel. Even the rear and front defrosters can be controlled with voice commands.

I have the V710 motorola with Verizon Wireless, the hands free link works fine. Only the data connection does not function. However, being able to answer and make phone calls with a touch of a button on the steering wheel is a true pleasure.

Keyless entry works well also. The remote NEVER leaves my pocket...no fumbling with keys or searching for buttons on a remote.

I'm hoping the car will handle well in snow...it certainly will be better than my last car (Lexus IS 300).
    I am in contact with many new Legend users here in Tokyo but SH-AWD locking up problem is never reported here. What I know is the delivery is somewhat delayed because of the steering noise issue, which I have heard fully resolved.

I have test drove the new Legend on three occasions and am very much impressed. At a narrow closed circuit the car showed amazing ability to trace the intended line.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Is there even a need to keep the key on your remote? All you RL owners out there, do you just keep the key at home, and just pocket the remote?
    >>Is there even a need to keep the key on your remote? All you RL owners out there, do you just keep the key at home, and just pocket the remote?

The owner's manual advises that the key is for emergencies - the battery on the remote dies, or similar. I wouldn't detach the key from the remote.
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    The key is integrated into the fob, so you don't have to worry about keeping it with you. It also serves as a backup if you need a hard key to open or start the car if something happens with the electronics within the fob. This option ensures you don't leave the back up at home.
    >> have the V710 motorola with Verizon Wireless, the hands free link works fine. Only the data connection does not function. However, being able to answer and make phone calls with a touch of a button on the steering wheel is a true pleasure.

Also, the option of dialing numbers directly from listings on the nav system, is unavailable. You're supposed to be able to highlight the "call" button on the screen for a restaurant or hotel, etc. It doesn't work with Verizon. You have to read the number into the voice system - not major, just another minor annoyance.

I do agree that being able to make and receive phone calls by just touching a button on the steering wheel is really great.
    Dear 1943973 (WILLIAM), The SH-AWD LOCKUP PROBLEM would be EXTREMELY important to document. Please give us some more information on this. Every current 2005 owner and every person considering a purchase should be made aware of this if it is true!!!!

If it is some kind of misinformation or hoax then we should expose it for what it is.

• liyliy Member Posts: 47
    I have done a rather thorough search of all Acura forums with respect to "Sh-AWD lock up" and can find no reported instance of it.

I can only conclude that the post above is an attempt to undermine the new Acura RL (for whatever reason). Such is the power of the internet that a stray post like this is given the credence evidenced within this thread.

My own bias is toward purchase of an Audi A6, but I have seen this kind of nonsense directed at Audi - and think that the old adage "drive one yourself before you decide" must be adhered to. (C'mon, if the drive system of a new car from a major Japanese auto maker had this problem, don't you think easy verification would be available?)

The Acura RL is one hell of a car!!

LIY